• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

Lebon14

This thread, guys, this thread. I would really dig it if the main protagonist was female because, if I'm given the choice, I always play a female in games. So, it's highly appealing to me. To be honest, this got me hyped for a female. Seriously.

AND NO ADAMS APPLE!

Not a valid point. Here's the reasons:
1. In real life, there are many, many, many men that doesn't have a prominent Adam's Apple. I mean, they have one, but it's just not showing. Like myself.
2. Adult Links never had an Adam's Apple in any main Zelda games or side-games.

ReyVGM

Actually those graph data are incorrect.

In the (unfinishihed) broadcast of BS Zelda (the one based on ALttP) there was a female Link:

zeldagirl.jpg

Even if technically she was never named Link. That was more like a Mii in cosplay, like in Nintendo Land.

Link doesn't star in any of the BS Zeldas. The star is the same kid (male or female) you use to explore the BSX worldmap menu.

If you've seen Link in the BS Zeldas, it's because you've been looking at the hacked versions.

Jackano

Link doesn't star in any of the BS Zeldas. The star is the same kid (male or female) you use to explore the BSX worldmap menu.
I know, this is why even if my post was salt over salty graph (for the jokes!), I let a last sentence saying it wasn't technically true.

WHAT IF IT'S ZELDA GUYS???

Like I tweet yesterday, I always wanted them to make Link a girl and call her Zelda.
However ATM, there are 15 or 16 full months of development remaining and everything can change. It is often the case with Zelda games.

The series is called The Legend of Zelda. Link being the protagonist is the most confusing part of the series. If Nintendo made the protagonist Zelda from here on out it would correct the most confusing element of the series. That is a good thing and I support it 100%.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
The series is called The Legend of Zelda. Link being the protagonist is the most confusing part of the series. If Nintendo made the protagonist Zelda from here on out it would correct the most confusing element of the series. That is a good thing and I support it 100%.

Maybe the next Final Fantasy game will be the final one, thus correcting the most confusing element of that series.

Laconic

Banned
Reposting this here:

Blue Link is right handed. Yellow and Shirtless Links will be left handed. When they combine midway through the game, Green Link's bow handed-ness will make sense.

OnPoint

Metroid stars Samus.
Kid Icarus stars Pit.
Punchout stars Little Mac.

It's really not that confusing.

georly

Zelda and Link on an adventure together, that's what i want.

Zelda rescues Link is just the same game.

Yup yup yup yup yup! 2 players like hyrule warriors. One on screen w/ pro controller or wii remote/nunchuck (plz no motion), and one on gamepad w/ bow and arrow. When you aim, it can be like nintendo land.

If you play 1 person, you can pick who you play as or switch between the two.

IDEALLY puzzles can be solved by one or the other, but solves EASIER if using both (flanking enemies/camps, stepping on both switches rather than pushing a box and stepping on the other, etc).

Laconic

Banned

I know, right? I am still confused about Solid Snake not being a huge mech.

Shahadan

I've said this yesterday but I only see Zelda here.

The face, the bow, the absence of sword, and even the cape/hood looks an awful lot like the one in TP.
I hope it's not a major plot point because that twist is already ruined!

Guntank

Neo Member
Maybe it's a new Hyrule warrior that looks like link, acts like link, smells like link, dresses like link, but it's not Link.

and it's a boy

KarmaCow

If people don't care enough to realise that Link is not Zelda, then they wouldn't care about this change either.

georly

This very well could take place right after skyward sword and before zelda reigns as princess. Maybe she and link in skyward sword found a small village while groose goes off and starts building a castle. Groose and his descendants found hyrule castle... maybe become evil and corrupt and greedy over time. Link and zelda's descendants have to over throw this evil tyranny and the people crown princess zelda as the new ruler of hyrule. They banish groose and his people to the desert and they become the gerudo tribe. The end.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Guys, what if that's Zelda? And also Link is female? And they roam around the world in co-op adventures conquering dungeons, killing monsters, and blowing stuff up? No princess rescuing, just saving the world.

-Horizon-

This very well could take place right after skyward sword and before zelda reigns as princess. Maybe she and link in skyward sword found a small village while groose goes off and starts building a castle. Groose and his descendants found hyrule castle... maybe become evil and corrupt and greedy over time. Link and zelda's descendants have to over throw this evil tyranny and the people crown princess zelda as the new ruler of hyrule. They banish groose and his people to the desert and they become the gerudo tribe. The end.

Evil Groose?...nah. He's just a guy looking for love lol.

Mman235

If you assume this is Zelda and take her having Ganon's bracelet things to a certain conclusion, what if the typical Triforce split has had some sort of fuck up so Zelda got Courage, Ganon got Wisdom and Link got Power (is evil?).

DrunkDan

I hope more information is released soon so this whole thing can be put to bed.

Probably end up with more ambiguous details fuelling even more speculation though.

conman

Shoehorning "continuity" into the Zelda series is the height of nonsensical fandom. Link, as a character, has no more continuity than Mario. In other words, Link isn't ever really "Link." So, Aonuma, why should I care if it's Link or not?

The character in the trailer still looks male to me, no matter how hard I look at it; even after people have "pointed it out," it looks no more feminine to me than Link in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

Maybe I'm just weird.

Link has always looked feminine as there have been 20 year jokes about it him looking like one. I don't see how this is a girl or isn't Link. Sort of effeminate and young? Yeah it's Link.

I'd love to play as a different character, but I don't see how this can't be Link.

Everywhere else I look people are mentioning nothing of this speculation or say this thread is doing mental gymnastics. But hey what if they're wrong and you're right.

Insert Fargo fish poster here.

nded

The one really solid bit of evidence for this character not being the traditional Link is him/her apparently being right-hand (or eye) dominant. On the other hand, one could also argue that this means New Zelda will be a Wii Remote game for some reason.

oatmeal

Banned
ik6pfHY.png

This is an interesting and alarming trend, and I'm hoping Polygon will be able to use this data to make a projection about how many female Links we'll have in the future.

Not bad, needs total amount of Nintendo systems sold to see if there is a correlation.

Yonafunu

Interesting.

- He/she uses a bow instead of a sword. Bows are totally Zelda's thing.
- He/she is wearing a cloak, which from the front looks like Zelda's cloak from TP. Kinda. Also, the cloak is used to reveal the character pretty dramatically, which is kinda pointless if it's just Link again.
- He/she is not left-handed.
- That horse is not Epona.

Look at them eyelashes. They're pretty damn prominent.

Kieli

Nah, it ain't just your imagination.

3:08 really does sound like a man's voice (and it does sound like a voice, and not something else).

Any other news outlets picking up this story? Weird that it's just this VentureBeat blogger, surely others are interested in interviewing Aonuma.

Any other news outlets picking up this story? Weird that it's just this VentureBeat blogger, surely others are interested in interviewing Aonuma.
News sites with no pride should pick it up for clicks alone. But any self respecting site won't jump to conclusions based on over analyzation of a single joke and a couple of seconds of this character.

OnPoint

My honest-to-goodness thinking is that it might be Aryll if it's not Link.

We'll find out when Nintendo wants us to find out.

Eusis

Alternate universes Link... if you play any Zelda you know that's how it rolls.
I suppose if any series needs a continuity reboot most it'd be Zelda. One poster wrote it off as fanwank but you have it occasionally fully acknowledged within games and you have things like Hyrule Historia laying it out. Given how they seem set on retelling the same basic story maybe dumping the baggage fully would help immensely.

. . . Even if it really just comes down to Link wearing different clothes for once, throughout the whole game. But given how alternate outfits is easily doable in a lot of games and has been done in Zelda they could always create a traditional one to be unlocked or whatever for those that really want that tradition kept.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, it ain't just your imagination.

3:08 really does sound like a man's voice (and it does sound like a voice, and not something else).

I believe that voice is made by the NPCs struck by the enemy beam.

Not the playable character, whoever he/she is.

Top Bottom