• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Satoru Iwata won't be able to attend investor meeting this Friday

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It's a growth. Cells multiplying when they shouldn't. Maybe this tumour wasn't cancerous, but the next one could be. And there will be others, sadly.

I'm aware of how serious it is, I made a post in this thread explaining how my dad's pancreatic cancer started out in a similar way to what Iwata is describing.

I just don't think GAF should contribute to the speculation and/or resulting panic.

jts

...hate me...
Well, now I kinda want him to resign, too. Quit the stress and enjoy life, Iwata. Nintendo will find a way, as always.

KnaveX

Neo Member
He's in good hands you guys, the best.

xZpJBso.jpg

Thank you Iwata!

Khaz

He's in good hands you guys, the best.

xZpJBso.jpg

Thank you Iwata!

I'd like to suggest adding some Balloon Fight in there, that was his (first) creation for Nintendo iirc and he still has fond memories of it. Maybe replace the Fils-Aime picture? We don't know how these two interact in private, we just know they do Directs together because PR and Americans love him. He probably has closer relations with Miyamoto.

Khaz

How do you know? Most people that think of tumors in the bile duct think of cancer.

Cancer is specifically malignant tumour, ie with the ability to proliferate and invade tissues. Benign tumours lack this ability. Both are caused by the same intrinsic process.

The Lamp

How can you detect a bile duct tumor causing no symptoms during a routine physical? They just ask you questions and feel your balls.

How fortunate that they found it early!

test_account

XP-39C²
I always hate to read about when people are getting sick :( I hope Iwata gets well as soon as possible and have a full recovery!

Kinda off-topic, but does anyone know if Iwata (and Miyamoto) smoke? I think Miyamoto used to smoke, but i'm not sure if he still does it.

How can you detect a bile duct tumor causing no symptoms during a routine physical? They just ask you questions and feel your balls.

How fortunate that they found it early!

Maybe they took a CT scan or something. My dad takes for example EKG (heart scan) sometimes when he is for a normal checkup.

Social

I'm so happy he seems alright! I really like him, not so much his choices but all the rest! He's such a likeable person during events.

The insidious side of me feels as though all of his lack of public appearances may be how he is being phased out without being fired

Edit: nvm reading it better doesn't sound like that at all

andthebeatgoeson

Cancer is specifically malignant tumour, ie with the ability to proliferate and invade tissues. Benign tumours lack this ability. Both are caused by the same intrinsic process.

Skip that. Because bike duct growths/benign tumors are rare. But i will state that I'm not familiar with the differences in Japanese pathophysiology.

Or it could be due to translation? Early report before significant tests are concluded? The man just wants privacy? I would.

There are two main ways to remove a growth in the bile ducts:ercp or surgery. Surgery implies risk of malignancy. It doesn't guarantee it but I would be worried.

They could easily say growth before having the pathology back and tell the 100% truth. I'm pulling for him. But part of this seems like a measured response to a significant situation.

so GAF, are we going to make a get well card with our avatars?

Would be a neat thing to do

Get well soon Iwata

I'm in too =)

*rubs chin* This is a bit too convenient.

This post is in very bad taste.

Cancer is a bitch. When you start growing (even benign) tumours, it means the organ started not to behave properly. You can excise growths and prevent them to do more damages, but you can't prevent them from appearing, save from replacing the organ entirely. Cancer is a slope going down, never up.

He will be regularly checked for this specifically, and you can expect more surgeries.

[disclosure] My father passed away a few month ago from liver cancer, at 60. He had surgeries twice to remove "growths", the third one was inoperable and took him away in two mere months. Had he had liver transplant sooner he would have been cured.

I see. I do not know much about cancer, so I was only speculating. I am really sorry to hear about your dad as well. May he rest in peace

DMiz

Just to give everybody an idea of what this sounds like from the (very, and understandable) brief description in Mr. Iwata's e-mail...

A bile duct growth likely describes a mass that was found on imaging (e.g. MRI, ultrasound) that was found to be abnormally 'bright' on imaging (suggesting that the growth itself had excess fluid production, or possibly even blood vessel development, which is suggestive of tumor growth).

Since it was caught early, we likely do not know if the growth was 'benign' or 'malignant' unless the pathologist, who the biopsy is sent to, finds a particular cell pattern that documents its malignancy (i.e. the extent of which the cells have taken on a tumor-like behavior) and stage (the level of development of the tumor, which would inform his care team on the likelihood of his survival in a given number of years, as well as the possibility of cancer recurrence).

Given that Mr. Iwata specifies that it was early stage, however, we can hope that the physicians managed to remove the biopsy prior to it becoming metastatic - the stage at which the tumor cells break from its source and travels to other organs, causing further damage to the body.

Hope he recovers well and that they caught it early enough. Bile duct growths are especially tricky given their location (close to the digestion system and generally resulting in the improper management of other metabolic processes, such as fat absorption and digestion) - but from his description, it looks like he is doing fine so far.

Also, heartfelt condolences to all the GAF members who are mentioning their own experiences with cancer: this is a terrible disease and it's why AGDQ's work with the Prevent Cancer foundation every year makes me thankful they exist.

Top Bottom