• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

It was so satisfying to get the GOTY for like $3 when it glitched. It was a nice middle finger towards that whole issue, hah.

Gave away the GOTY before the sale because I thought I could get the missing DLCs for 2 or 3 bucks anyway. Well, shit. (Not that I've played the game nearly far enough to be close to starting the DLC....)

Asterbreed is basically bullet hell+Zone of the enders.
If you like that get it.
3F4B2EC37EDEF688A6F732F72A0871A113988074
Is this really a shmup? Can't even tell from the image.

Red

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to do this after this year's winter sale. Valve better start giving flash and community sales 8 hour cooldown periods like the dailies. Sixteen hours is more than enough for people who don't want to sit in front of a screen so much.

http://www.knowyourphrase.com/phrase-meanings/Cup-Of-Joe.html

Replace the letter "J" with "M" and you've got a terrible joke no one gets. Still, an episode of Nichijou has to be the best way to start a day off.
I agree it would be nice to have a cool down, but I have access to the store from my phone so it's not like I have to be tied to my computer constantly. I realize that is not an option for everyone, though.

That said, I've spent an abnormally huge amount of time playing video games the past couple of weeks. Sometimes I need to indulge.

This is certainly a very suitable position, it's certainly far closer to a horror game than Bioshock is at the very minimum. The character designs (some you've quoted being quite strong, while the ninjas are, in my opinion, probably the weakest in terms of a horror atmosphere), the difficulty of the enemies throughout the game, the resource management aspect, the labyrinthian level design which mix tight corridors with body-covered open area, the placement of items/corpses on the maps, the audiologs, and the sound design in general creating a sense of dread, uneasy, and being almost intrusive upon one's senses (The Many and [spoiler I guess?]
Shodan
in particular being very strong from this aspect), all really work well together in making it much more of a prolonged, intense horror than Bioshock outside of the opening act. The only real thing that works against System Shock 2 in this aspect is its graphics (which, while serviceable, certainly cannot have the same level of detail as in Bioshock), but the other areas more than compensate for it.

It's weird because I think there's a somewhat-common definition of "horror" that includes stuff like System Shock 2, but I found that game less scary than even Dead Space. Which isn't to say it's bad, not at all, but that game doesn't terrify me in the same way jump scares terrify me; the overwhelming feeling I get from games like Dead Space and System Shock 2 is a form of psychological claustrophobia, a tension that never disappears as the game goes on, only ratchets ever tighter. I just assume this is now a part of the contemporary definition of horror, but where I would never in a million years play an Amnesia game, I am so glad I played System Shock 2.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's ridiculous to me that Child of Light base game was 25% off when the DLC was 40%.
I thought Capcom had them beat with 20% off RE4, but I just gifted it to a most worthy GAFer and found out it was actually 40% off.

Ubisoft still has the worst discounts of the sale.

did you gift it to yourself since you win everything?

Turfster

Don't forget Activision, usually they put an insane base price for the older title.
This is the first year that I see Gun and Timeshift behind 5€, with 75%

OG Call of Duty is still 15€ with the usual Acti discount of a whole whopping 25%.
Activision, pls.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Good luck :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sub Zero:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

resident evil 4 / biohazard 4 -- MB-A7EDAB3DCB5CB02E - Taken by Arthea

t1403823696z1.png

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Posting again since it was in the bottom of the page. Also what's up with some game icons not appearing even though the game's name is correct?

Good luck :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sub Zero:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

resident evil 4 / biohazard 4 -- MB-A7EDAB3DCB5CB02E - Taken by Arthea

t1403823696z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom