• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars - Import |OT| War, what is it good for? A HOVERBOARD!!!!

Kysen

I have been following this thread and it feels like the tone of the conversation changed quickly, is it a worse game than you first thought or is it still a good game?

To sum up the games problems in one word would be 'incomplete'. So many underlying systems and mechanics just feel half done or an afterthought.

Take for example the web mechanic from the spider boss. When you touch it you get bound up. They copied this right out of monster hunter except anyone who's played a MH game knows that if you take damage from anything it breaks. Even the games' designers must have known this and the first thing I did when I saw an ally stuck was to try and break them out of it. Nope doesn't work, I have even been hit by the web and gone 100 -> 0% life during the full duration and there was absolutely nothing I could do.

This strikes me as the devs not getting enough time to full implement the break animation and ally recovery for it(accessory does nothing when you are stuck). You cant even wiggle the analogue stick to break out either.

The incompleteness is found in all areas of the game like this, things taken from other games but not fleshed out. Its a solid game but the short comings are too numerous and are going to damage the longevity of the game. Also not having online at release is a huge problem especially as there are multiplayer only trophies and this is a 1st party title. In my opinion all this games problems can be attributed to budget issues.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I thought that the shields would force you to use melee weapons, what function does the sheld have (that the abductors use)?
you dont really need melee weapons to take those off. since there is an item that you can bring along taking up an item slot which allows you to cut at parts. The Flare Knife or something like that. Or if you are crazy enough to stand near point blank range you are within the bubble of the shield so you can damage it also that way with ranged weapons.

Could the problem with tedious post content be solved it you was playing it in co-op?
theoretically yes since it makes missions where you really need everyone to be efficient in combat to survive, but the other thing which is tedious is making the perfect weapon with how the system works. or should I say a solo specific weapon as you will need as much damage output as possible / elemental bonuses. the way the upgrade system works makes it a bit of a pain in the ass to do with the weapons that have max upgrade slots in them.

IIRC both GE 2 and toukiden had some sort of demo/"beta" in which players could play a portion of the game and give feedback, I find it strange that it (AFAIK) never happened with FW.
Actually there was a beta and a demo before the game was released, but it was pulled after release. which is why I had to change info in the FAQ, when reports came in about the demo being pulled. no idea why they did that.

could it be that some things are bad programming more than bad design choices (was thinking about the placement of AI troops)?
its both bad design and programming.

Any idea how the balance between players will work in competitive MP, do you think MP will add something to the experience of the game or does it feel like an afterthought?
head 2 head mp for the most part should be fine. but still since its not out yet we will have to wait and see.

As I understands it you finished Natural Doctrine (that seems more than a little grindy and hard as nails), so this worries me a little ;)
its a different type of game that and you had more of a sense of accomplishment when you cleared something in natural doctrine. this game to me personally is not as skilled based as others in the genre. as its more just keeping rounds on target and seeing how you can take advantage of the map to make sure you dont get hit while taking damage.

I will buy it day 1 in EU as a digital, that the game is it´s own thing goes to the pros in my book, but I really hope that it will be a good game when it releases here.
as it is now its a perfectly fine game, though people will need to understand as with any game thats making its debut into the genre there will be flaws in it.

Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions.
no problem thats what the OT is for.

Edit: I also find it strange that the filesize is so small for such a "big" game. Do you think that is to make room for future DLC. I don't know why but I get the feeling that they have a lot planned for this title that we still don't know about.
the standard MO for the folks behind god eater and sony in general with games they have published in the past within the genre (soul sacrifice + delta) have gotten free content updates constantly. though god eater 2 had 1 paid DLC lately but it was for actual story related content instead of just weapons / monsters / missions.

That they don't use animations when the acessory gets captured and that they have choosen to let enemies just pop-in on the map seems like an odd design choice(if that is what it is).
no there is no animation it literally will warp into the abductor if you take too long to rez it. also there is no "flag" apparently which tells the game player is in X location so dont spawn enemies here and will literally spawn them in on top of you if you are in one of the pre-set spawn locations.

Parakeetman

hPkrDPv.jpg
TWSwPce.jpg
JpdlLnk.jpg
08qmUXl.jpg
FAVTC6M.jpg
yhiAjV1.jpg
mhMSaym.jpg
aKCBbu1.jpg
suZNfzl.jpg
o7jvsBQ.jpg
ZvzVuS7.jpg

This one I know those who are playing the game can relate to the most lol

you dont really need melee weapons to take those off. since there is an item that you can bring along taking up an item slot which allows you to cut at parts. The Flare Knife or something like that. Or if you are crazy enough to stand near point blank range you are within the bubble of the shield so you can damage it also that way with ranged weapons.

the knife item sounds a little contra productive and/or OP

theoretically yes since it makes missions where you really need everyone to be efficient in combat to survive, but the other thing which is tedious is making the perfect weapon with how the system works. or should I say a solo specific weapon as you will need as much damage output as possible / elemental bonuses. the way the upgrade system works makes it a bit of a pain in the ass to do with the weapons that have max upgrade slots in them.

I didn't even know that the game had elemental bonuses, how does it work (rock, paper, scissors?).

Actually there was a beta and a demo before the game was released, but it was pulled after release. which is why I had to change info in the FAQ, when reports came in about the demo being pulled. no idea why they did that.

I tried it, but what I mean is that the demos for toukiden and GE2 (and I also think it was the case with vanilla SS) came out some time before the release of the games and as I understand it that was to get feedback. I don't get the feeling that it was the same with FW (when the demo just came out a week (?)before it's release)

its a different type of game that and you had more of a sense of accomplishment when you cleared something in natural doctrine. this game to me personally is not as skilled based as others in the genre. as its more just keeping rounds on target and seeing how you can take advantage of the map to make sure you dont get hit while taking damage.

this sounds like the opposite of what I was hoping for.

as it is now its a perfectly fine game, though people will need to understand as with any game thats making its debut into the genre there will be flaws in it.

I hope it does well so they can fix things in the future, on paper it't a game I always wanted (without knowing it)

no there is no animation it literally will warp into the abductor if you take too long to rez it. also there is no "flag" apparently which tells the game player is in X location so dont spawn enemies here and will literally spawn them in on top of you if you are in one of the pre-set spawn locations.

How are the abductor animations, from the videos I have seen it looks like all biped abductors have the same movement patterns. Is it just their weapons animations that differs?

Parakeetman

the knife item sounds a little contra productive and/or OP
its not really the stronger ones are limited use items and the one you can use forever is really weak so trying to use it on high ranking abductors is a bad idea unless you want to break your circle button. there is a trick to use the higher rank flare blade things without it being thrown away after, but no idea if they patched it or not.

I didn't even know that the game had elemental bonuses, how does it work (rock, paper, scissors?).

Not really its more like what type of effect it has.

Fire = constant damage over time
Lightning = stun effect
Ice = def down
Will-O = explosion effect (more damage)

Though to get it to proc correctly am pretty sure you need the ratings up pretty high. and of course enemies of the same element will be resistant to said attack.

I tried it, but what I mean is that the demos for toukiden and GE2 (and I also think it was the case with vanilla SS) came out some time before the release of the games and as I understand it that was to get feedback. I don't get the feeling that it was the same with FW (when the demo just came out a week (?)before it's release)

Yes the demo didnt come out all that long before, not quite sure what they were thinking. Even the early access beta wasnt all that early considering, which then lead to the normal pre-release demo

this sounds like the opposite of what I was hoping for.

Peoples expectations on what they consider accomplishments is different. Mine are a bit higher as Im part of the old guard when it comes to the genre and have played some of the more difficult games. Such as MH Dos / MH Freedom. In terms of difficulty. Its why my own personal expectations of what I consider a challenge is different from others.

I hope it does well so they can fix things in the future, on paper it't a game I always wanted (without knowing it)

Am sure it will be balanced better, but there will still be other things that would be difficult to change in the current version as would basically require a huge rewriting of the game itself, since you cant just yank features out of the game at this point in time.

How are the abductor animations, from the videos I have seen it looks like all biped abductors have the same movement patterns. Is it just their weapons animations that differs?

The attacks for the other weapon types do have different animations but when you rip all of those off basically the melee attack patterns are the same for the bipedal and quad types. Spider / Tiger / Dragon have their own unique animation sets.

One thing that I found to be a fucking miracle that they managed to code it so that the tracking on the is insanely good with enemy missiles if you dont shoot them down. if only I had recorded that scene where I ran around 2 corners to test to see how well they track the player and it followed me / detonated on impact. The later missile pod missiles are faster so you wont really have the chance to see that effect with the initial one that is pretty slow, though it can catch up to the player if you are just trying to run / dash away from it.

It just froze on me. On the final mission.

Now I have to repeat the last two stages to get to the final mission again.

What a boner killer. Goddamnit Dimps. Damnit.

Does anyone actually know the extent of how much Shift is involved?

Because the wiki linked in 2ch (wikinavi) says the original planning(原案) was done by Shift. Seesaa says that you guys have been using says original work(原作). And as far as how I have seen 原作 has been used (in manga, anime, live action), there are more cases where the "original author" has just given his blessing and is not much involved (sometimes as a consultant).

I'm guessing that Shift did the story, worldview, and overall gameplay concept of the game while Dimps were the one who implemented it.

It's hard to believe that they went with some of the design decisions if Shift was helming the project.

cyborg009

Banned

Because the wiki linked in 2ch (wikinavi) says the original planning(原案) was done by Shift. Seesaa says that you guys have been using says original work(原作). And as far as how I have seen 原作 has been used (in manga, anime, live action), there are more cases where the "original author" has just given his blessing and is not much involved (sometimes as a consultant).

I'm guessing that Shift did the story, worldview, and overall gameplay concept of the game while Dimps were the one who implemented it.

It's hard to believe that they went with some of the design decisions if Shift was helming the project.

I thought it was director of SFIV(Dimps) directing the game and shift were the designers.

baekshi

Banned
Producer: Junichi Yoshizawa: PATAPON series, “ Over My Remain ” (Sony Computer Entertainment)
Game Designer: Toshiyuki Yasui: God Eater series (Shift)
Director: Takashi Tsukamoto: STREET FIGHTER IV series (Dimps)

Parakeetman

Ouch man that sucks. D:

Anko

Well, the spider tenbatsu are definitely easier than the tiger one. No more barricades and enemy placement that will bottleneck allies to the wrong abductor. 17,500 years off every 7-8 minutes while farming for alpha parts? Yes, please.

What is stupid is that it provides mid tier alpha parts while I need low tier alpha parts. Where the hell do I find those!? There's only one alpha spider.

This one I know those who are playing the game can relate to the most lol
That sniping one. I gave up trying to shoot AI enemies eventually. I don't even bother running towards them anymore. lol
It's funny how the accessory can become the most endearing character (now mine runs around, looking for the civilian with the best ass and accuses anyone reviving her of laying a hand on hers) despite being essentially emotionless. Thanks for running through the battlefield, braving bullets and being run over by spiders to revive me again and again. <3 I'm sorry I made you say those weird things.

Parakeetman

Well, the spider tenbatsu are definitely easier than the tiger one. No more barricades and enemy placement that will bottleneck allies to the wrong abductor. 17,500 years off every 7-8 minutes while farming for alpha parts? Yes, please.

What is stupid is that it provides mid tier alpha parts while I need low tier alpha parts. Where the hell do I find those!? There's only one alpha spider.

That sniping one. I gave up trying to shoot AI enemies eventually. I don't even bother running towards them anymore. lol
It's funny how the accessory can become the most endearing character (now mine runs around, looking for the civilian with the best ass and accuses anyone reviving her of laying a hand on hers) despite being essentially emotionless. Thanks for running through the battlefield, braving bullets and being run over by spiders to revive me again and again. <3 I'm sorry I made you say those weird things.

The tiger is a pain in the ass since it seems to have more def plus its harder to constantly stun it unlike the spider. D: That and the damned thing is constantly running back and forth all the time. Lets not even go into trying to go after the cage...

Caladrius

I'm torn between getting this game and God Eater 2 (no money for both, sadly). Can someone give me a super-quick rundown on the two as far as these things are concerned:

Controls (precision and general ease of use.)
Extent/flexibility of customization
Late/post-game content.

Answers would be greatly appreciated.

I'm torn between getting this game and God Eater 2 (no money for both, sadly). Can someone give me a super-quick rundown on the two as far as these things are concerned:

Late/post-game content.

Hmm, I would describe Freedom Wars as more a TPS, while GE is definitely more melee focused.

In terms of customisation and post game content, GE2 definitely has more than FW in terms of story (I think it went past chapter 10? can't remember) + all the free missions, free story dlc and also more weapon trees and clothing. However it has a small variety of maps compared to FW.

Parakeetman

Late/post-game content.

id suggest god eater 2. wait till this game gets more free content

Caladrius

Hmm, I would describe Freedom Wars as more a TPS, while GE is definitely more melee focused.

In terms of customisation and post game content, GE2 definitely has more than FW in terms of story (I think it went past chapter 10? can't remember) + all the free missions, free story dlc and also more weapon trees and clothing. However it has a small variety of maps compared to FW.

id suggest god eater 2. wait till this game gets more free content

Duly noted.

Thanks a bunch.

Yup, I agree with others. It's GE2 no doubt. Not to mention that they just released the PS Vita The Best (low budget) versions.

Already mentioned but needs to have more emphasis: this is more of a TPS.

Controls
It depends on what you use, but I'd say GE wins this (there are stuff you need to get used to but they're otherwise fine).

There's button conflict. They even had to make new versions of Dash and Ibara types since they were not able to do stuff that other control types were able to do (ibara while dashing). But even then, those type 2 new versions have too many changes to be just "slight adjustments". AKA they didn't really fix the issue.

I think it was in Ibara Control Type 1 that it was hard to do a dashing attack. X+Square (or X -> Square if you're fast enough) is fine since they're near each other. But for X+Triangle, you practically have to claw. :/

There's also that "charging" issue (Ibara, melee, whatever I forgot). If you're in mid-motion of another move (mine was mostly from a dodge) and you start holding down the button, it won't start charging even after the other move finishes. This can leave you holding down the button for a few seconds for nothing. -_-

Customization

Customization of what? I'd assume you meant appearance.

If we're talking about customization itself, then there's more customization in FW due to how it was designed from the ground up. The outfit colors you can choose from is designated by a palette.

And they are also... selling color palettes... srsly.

That said, Ann's outfit is really really really cute.

Parakeetman

Duly noted.

Thanks a bunch.

ill give you a longer rundown when am home explaining things

that will be about 8-9 hrs from now though. as day just started here.

ge2 also got a large content patch which included all the special dlcs that were packaged with things.

Parakeetman

Late/post-game content.

Controls are better in God Eater 2 in general as there is no weird input lag caused by the animations, esp when it comes to turning around in a different direction and attempting to shoot at the same time. Which can cause some irritating as shit situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEv7BnvntD8

link provided is my vid of me playing at the start of the game (its just a demo showing off the ps vita tv) but gives you an idea of how the movement is. And you can see my character dodging and blocking attacks among the melee system which has been greatly improved over the first God Eater.

Everything is fairly straight forward in terms of controls too so its nothing overly complex. If you have played other titles in the genre before then you will have zero issues. Even less if you obviously played the first one.

You need to be more specific when you say customization. Generally GE2 its far easier to enjoy weapons that you create and understand all of the skill additions that equipment has. Not to mention its not randomized like Freedom Wars.

There is no "armor" in the game like freedom wars and clothing is just purely cosmetic. Freedom Wars the outfits are all a single piece, though there are multiple versions of the same one by pressing the square button. God Eater 2 its broken up into tops / bottoms. While freedom wars has some nice outfits, overall some are quite disappointing as they were obviously not made with care as hair clips through a lot of various models so things like hats that can change hairstyle mess with some outfits closing out potential combination possibilities. God Eater 2 is better with being careful with this personally. Its a damned shame too since the nice looking outfits in Freedom Wars are great. Coloring outfits more detail goes to Freedom Wars as its sections that you can change the colors of with the color sets available to you. The decal system while neat its personally shit due to the terrible locations that are all preset and you dont have freedom to move them around to any spot as you please. Then depending on the face type too it seems that some of the facial decals will not fit properly either even if you try to resize them.

In terms of numbers of weapons do think God Eater 2 has more than Freedom Wars. But thats expected considering God Eater 2 has weapons from the first God Eater also in it. Also with what weapons turn out to be useful God Eater 2 has better balance. But that once again is due to the game having 3 versions. God Eater, God Eater Burst and now God Eater 2. With freedom wars if you really want to kill things fast you will most likely be winding up using short range burst fire rifle. As it pretty much has the most efficient damage output when you go and latch yourself to an enemy. A guy I know his friend can kill the last boss in under a minute basically now with his setup. Saw the video on that.

End game content it depends on what you are looking for. Though Id have to imagine that GE2 has more content currently just due to the constant free DLC missions and such that they kept adding over a period of time. Freedom Wars will be just starting for that, so there is that to think of. Also for the time being Freedom Wars has less weapons in general, but thats just due to it being the first title in its "series" so to speak, so dont really hold that against it. One thing for sure with Freedom Wars is that you will be spending more time with trying to make a perfect weapon to do get the damage up to par for going against the stronger special abductors that appear in the tenbatsu missions. Since for those you need some serious damage which means you need to get all the best skills for the weapon (damage the most important) so kinda lost interest with that personally and hence why I had stopped playing, then again but have other titles to deal with also including OTs to make. God Eater 2 has some side story related paid DLC which was also released recently.

Overall content wise we can say for the time being that while its not as pretty map wise due to it having to "share" with the PSP gameplay wise Id say God Eater 2 has content down beat. Also the melee / ranged combat is far more balanced than in Freedom Wars where its mostly you shooting the shit out of stuff vs switching between melee and ranged. This is due to how the abductors are designed also and the way the game plays in general. So folks saying its more like a TPS that something part of the "hunting" genre are not wrong as you will be shooting a lot more than actually doing any sort of melee combos and such. As its generally just not efficient and a good way to get yourself killed.

Guess it boils down if you want to go pewpewpew or have a more well balance between melee and ranged. One thing for sure you really feel a bigger sense of accomplishment from God Eater with combat. Anyways I like both games for what they are and with what you know now its up to you with what you want from the game itself. But will emphasize again that God Eater 2 dont expect really awesome maps and such since its limited by the PSPs hardware. But gameplay is solid and great characters / story.

Caladrius

Yup, I agree with others. It's GE2 no doubt. Not to mention that they just released the PS Vita The Best (low budget) versions.

Already mentioned but needs to have more emphasis: this is more of a TPS.

Controls
It depends on what you use, but I'd say GE wins this (there are stuff you need to get used to but they're otherwise fine).

There's button conflict. They even had to make new versions of Dash and Ibara types since they were not able to do stuff that other control types were able to do (ibara while dashing). But even then, those type 2 new versions have too many changes to be just "slight adjustments". AKA they didn't really fix the issue.

I think it was in Ibara Control Type 1 that it was hard to do a dashing attack. X+Square (or X -> Square if you're fast enough) is fine since they're near each other. But for X+Triangle, you practically have to claw. :/

There's also that "charging" issue (Ibara, melee, whatever I forgot). If you're in mid-motion of another move (mine was mostly from a dodge) and you start holding down the button, it won't start charging even after the other move finishes. This can leave you holding down the button for a few seconds for nothing. -_-

Customization

Customization of what? I'd assume you meant appearance.

If we're talking about customization itself, then there's more customization in FW due to how it was designed from the ground up. The outfit colors you can choose from is designated by a palette.

And they are also... selling color palettes... srsly.

That said, Ann's outfit is really really really cute.

Controls are better in God Eater 2 in general as there is no weird input lag caused by the animations, esp when it comes to turning around in a different direction and attempting to shoot at the same time. Which can cause some irritating as shit situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEv7BnvntD8

link provided is my vid of me playing at the start of the game (its just a demo showing off the ps vita tv) but gives you an idea of how the movement is. And you can see my character dodging and blocking attacks among the melee system which has been greatly improved over the first God Eater.

Everything is fairly straight forward in terms of controls too so its nothing overly complex. If you have played other titles in the genre before then you will have zero issues. Even less if you obviously played the first one.

You need to be more specific when you say customization. Generally GE2 its far easier to enjoy weapons that you create and understand all of the skill additions that equipment has. Not to mention its not randomized like Freedom Wars.

There is no "armor" in the game like freedom wars and clothing is just purely cosmetic. Freedom Wars the outfits are all a single piece, though there are multiple versions of the same one by pressing the square button. God Eater 2 its broken up into tops / bottoms. While freedom wars has some nice outfits, overall some are quite disappointing as they were obviously not made with care as hair clips through a lot of various models so things like hats that can change hairstyle mess with some outfits closing out potential combination possibilities. God Eater 2 is better with being careful with this personally. Its a damned shame too since the nice looking outfits in Freedom Wars are great. Coloring outfits more detail goes to Freedom Wars as its sections that you can change the colors of with the color sets available to you. The decal system while neat its personally shit due to the terrible locations that are all preset and you dont have freedom to move them around to any spot as you please. Then depending on the face type too it seems that some of the facial decals will not fit properly either even if you try to resize them.

In terms of numbers of weapons do think God Eater 2 has more than Freedom Wars. But thats expected considering God Eater 2 has weapons from the first God Eater also in it. Also with what weapons turn out to be useful God Eater 2 has better balance. But that once again is due to the game having 3 versions. God Eater, God Eater Burst and now God Eater 2. With freedom wars if you really want to kill things fast you will most likely be winding up using short range burst fire rifle. As it pretty much has the most efficient damage output when you go and latch yourself to an enemy. A guy I know his friend can kill the last boss in under a minute basically now with his setup. Saw the video on that.

End game content it depends on what you are looking for. Though Id have to imagine that GE2 has more content currently just due to the constant free DLC missions and such that they kept adding over a period of time. Freedom Wars will be just starting for that, so there is that to think of. Also for the time being Freedom Wars has less weapons in general, but thats just due to it being the first title in its "series" so to speak, so dont really hold that against it. One thing for sure with Freedom Wars is that you will be spending more time with trying to make a perfect weapon to do get the damage up to par for going against the stronger special abductors that appear in the tenbatsu missions. Since for those you need some serious damage which means you need to get all the best skills for the weapon (damage the most important) so kinda lost interest with that personally and hence why I had stopped playing, then again but have other titles to deal with also including OTs to make. God Eater 2 has some side story related paid DLC which was also released recently.

Overall content wise we can say for the time being that while its not as pretty map wise due to it having to "share" with the PSP gameplay wise Id say God Eater 2 has content down beat. Also the melee / ranged combat is far more balanced than in Freedom Wars where its mostly you shooting the shit out of stuff vs switching between melee and ranged. This is due to how the abductors are designed also and the way the game plays in general. So folks saying its more like a TPS that something part of the "hunting" genre are not wrong as you will be shooting a lot more than actually doing any sort of melee combos and such. As its generally just not efficient and a good way to get yourself killed.

As far as customization goes I do mean mostly aesthetics and weapon modification+variety.

I'm looking for a melee focused game, so GE2 seems more like my jam. I'll give Freedom Wars a shot down the line, but I'm pretty conclusively convinced.

Thank you for the in-depth answers!

Parakeetman

As far as customization goes I do mean mostly aesthetics and weapon modification+variety.

I'm looking for a melee focused game, so GE2 seems more like my jam. I'll give Freedom Wars a shot down the line, but I'm pretty conclusively convinced.

Thank you for the in-depth answers!

For melee most def God Eater 2. The hammer is pretty amusing lol. One of the newer weapons.

I really like how they re-purposed the Large Sword too, since you can see me doing some of the moves in the video I linked.

So this is the game that is made by the same people who made God Eater 2 huh?...

I STILL WANT GOD EATER 2 DAMN IT! :( can't believe that game still isn't localized. I've been hyped about that game since the first trailer but I don't speak or read Japanese so...ugh. :(

Ok well anyway I will definitely be getting FW game day 1 when it comes out here...I just...really...really...really...

...wanted God Eater 2. :(

Parakeetman

So this is the game that is made by the same people who made God Eater 2 huh?...

I STILL WANT GOD EATER 2 DAMN IT! :( can't believe that game still isn't localized. I've been hyped about that game since the first trailer but I don't speak or read Japanese so...ugh. :(

Ok well anyway I will definitely be getting FW game day 1 when it comes out here...I just...really...really...really...

...wanted God Eater 2. :(

Well since the online patch is out, hopefully BanNam will consider it in the future now. Suppose it depends on how Freedom Wars sells, as its an indicator of interest in the "genre" so to speak. Its a bit too long for them to really take numbers for the PSP ver of Burst thats why as the market is constantly changing.

Did the balance patch come out yet?

The latest patch had some changes in it but nothing really significant personally. Id imagine the will be adding it in later with a larger patch as they most def would need more time to make some real proper balancing changes rather than just messing with variables. Even then that would require a good amount of time for all the testing and such.

Well since the online patch is out, hopefully BanNam will consider it in the future now. Suppose it depends on how Freedom Wars sells, as its an indicator of interest in the "genre" so to speak. Its a bit too long for them to really take numbers for the PSP ver of Burst thats why as the market is constantly changing.

I really hope so too. :(

Didn't God Eater 2 sell very well in Japan? I know it's not always an indicator that it would also sell well in the US too but we did have a God Eater Burst here so it's not like it wasn't always exclusively in Japan. :(

Parakeetman

I really hope so too. :(

Didn't God Eater 2 sell very well in Japan? I know it's not always an indicator that it would also sell well in the US too but we did have a God Eater Burst here so it's not like it wasn't always exclusively in Japan. :(

The problem is the markets of the West vs East are quite different, which its why for companies to try and gauge things by that. But at least now days there are a lot more "Japanese" type of titles in the West which companies can try to base predictions off of. Also how Sony is pushing the Vita more in the West. So hopefully if anything at least the Vita version will come out hell even if its in just digital form. But will have to wait and see.

Really do think that the reason why it wasnt pushed out in the West is due to the Infrastructure mode having been not ready all this time. Now it is, can be packed in with the game which adds a HUGE selling point. Plus as it already has functionality from the get go with the "PlayStation TV"? or whatever they are calling the PSV TV in the West thats another selling point for the unit itself so I cant imagine that they would totally go ignoring it.

The problem is the markets of the West vs East are quite different, which its why for companies to try and gauge things by that. But at least now days there are a lot more "Japanese" type of titles in the West which companies can try to base predictions off of. Also how Sony is pushing the Vita more in the West. So hopefully if anything at least the Vita version will come out hell even if its in just digital form. But will have to wait and see.

Really do think that the reason why it wasnt pushed out in the West is due to the Infrastructure mode having been not ready all this time. Now it is, can be packed in with the game which adds a HUGE selling point. Plus as it already has functionality from the get go with the "PlayStation TV"? or whatever they are calling the PSV TV in the West thats another selling point for the unit itself so I cant imagine that they would totally go ignoring it.

Well at least your posts are giving me SOME hope.

That and hopefully FW fills a little of that missing hole GE2 would have filled. :(

By any chance, is there a way to write or email a letter to someone at Namco about it? Basically a fan letter I guess? It's kind of pointless to do something like that but I would like to do it anyway. XD

Parakeetman

Well at least your posts are giving me SOME hope.

That and hopefully FW fills a little of that missing hole GE2 would have filled. :(

By any chance, is there a way to write or email a letter to someone at Namco about it? Basically a fan letter I guess? It's kind of pointless to do something like that but I would like to do it anyway. XD

Your best chance would be to whoever runs the twitter chans. Know that the Europe Community Manager is around here at GAF. But in regards to the US and whatnots no idea.

This guy

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=375881

The other thing too is that BanNam would have a pretty good bunch of "free content" updates by now too which would help the long term lifespan of the title itself, from all the JP content updates. Including the most recent DLC pack which was a collection of all the store physical item related DLC I think it was, which was released to go with "The Best" version which came out a little while ago.

Freedom Wars is enjoyable and its not too difficult if you are just trying to clear the story. Though at the same time things with the game system sort of fall apart around after clearing the game and the real high rank missions come out. As then you need to be a bit OC to make the weapons you need to take down the targets that appear. Since its a bit of a pain in the ass that goes beyond the usual formula which is killing something over and over for rare parts. Now they added random elements with the upgrades to the weapons that takes things to a whole new level. But as stated you dont really need to worry about that much till after you clear the main story stuff. Since its more from rank 8 and the later tenbatsu missions that things get stupid.

At least I would imagine that by the time the US version comes out you guys will have infrastructure mode too, at least Id hope so. Still not sure when its coming out here in Japan. But considering famitsu had an article on it and the games future hopefully soon...

Your best chance would be to whoever runs the twitter chans. Know that the Europe Community Manager is around here at GAF. But in regards to the US and whatnots no idea.

This guy

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=375881

The other thing too is that BanNam would have a pretty good bunch of "free content" updates by now too which would help the long term lifespan of the title itself, from all the JP content updates. Including the most recent DLC pack which was a collection of all the store physical item related DLC I think it was, which was released to go with "The Best" version which came out a little while ago.

Freedom Wars is enjoyable and its not too difficult if you are just trying to clear the story. Though at the same time things with the game system sort of fall apart around after clearing the game and the real high rank missions come out. As then you need to be a bit OC to make the weapons you need to take down the targets that appear. Since its a bit of a pain in the ass that goes beyond the usual formula which is killing something over and over for rare parts. Now they added random elements with the upgrades to the weapons that takes things to a whole new level. But as stated you dont really need to worry about that much till after you clear the main story stuff. Since its more from rank 8 and the later tenbatsu missions that things get stupid.

At least I would imagine that by the time the US version comes out you guys will have infrastructure mode too, at least Id hope so. Still not sure when its coming out here in Japan. But considering famitsu had an article on it and the games future hopefully soon...

Oh a Gaffer. 0_0 well I don't want to annoy him over something he might not control over on this site so I guess Twitter would be my best shot. XD

So basically after the main story, getting rare parts/equipment becomes a pain or something? Well as long as it doesn't affect the trophies that's fine I guess lol.

What's Infrastructure mode? Sounds like a level creator mode or something like that (which would be pretty damn cool).

Parakeetman

Oh a Gaffer. 0_0 well I don't want to annoy him over something he might not control over on this site so I guess Twitter would be my best shot. XD

So basically after the main story, getting rare parts/equipment becomes a pain or something? Well as long as it doesn't affect the trophies that's fine I guess lol.

What's Infrastructure mode? Sounds like a level creator mode or something like that (which would be pretty damn cool).

Its online (internet) play as the game currently is only ad-hoc only. It was the same with God Eater 2. ad-hoc from the start and eventually they added in the infrastructure (online play) mode. When the online play mode hits freedom wars thats when the PVP type of game modes will also be introduced.

Its not exactly totally rare parts as much as the whole process of sticking extra bonuses to your weapons. As its partially randomized which makes it a pain. The farming for said skills is a separate thing which comes attached to weapon drops. So the end game you are basically working on getting the skills you want from weapon drops then sticking them on your crafted weapon that has if possible the maximum amount of skill slots. From there comes the farming part once you eventually get a weapon you are happy with for upgrading it to the max level. Which isnt as bad as the actual customization process.

Its online (internet) play as the game currently is only ad-hoc only. It was the same with God Eater 2. ad-hoc from the start and eventually they added in the infrastructure (online play) mode. When the online play mode hits freedom wars thats when the PVP type of game modes will also be introduced.

Its not exactly totally rare parts as much as the whole process of sticking extra bonuses to your weapons. As its partially randomized which makes it a pain. The farming for said skills is a separate thing which comes attached to weapon drops. So the end game you are basically working on getting the skills you want from weapon drops then sticking them on your crafted weapon that has if possible the maximum amount of skill slots. From there comes the farming part once you eventually get a weapon you are happy with for upgrading it to the max level. Which isnt as bad as the actual customization process.

Ohhhhh.

Hmm...is there a video where I can see this whole process being done? I'm more of a visual person so I think it would make things more clear to me if I get to see what that part is all about.

Parakeetman

Ohhhhh.

Hmm...is there a video where I can see this whole process being done? I'm more of a visual person so I think it would make things more clear to me if I get to see what that part is all about.

This is a very quick vid. If you cant read japanese its going to make little sense to you overall. But the general idea is

Weapon A: The base weapon to have skills added to it. (might have some skills attached to it + empty skill slots)

Weapon B:The weapon that has attached skills which will be used to transfer over to Weapon A. (Skills from this "might" be transferred over or new ones added in its place. You can use a final item in the combination to help make sure more make it over, but generally these are quite rare.)

=

Result A = combination of Base A + Resource B + some random skills which also get added on. Other existing skills can be overwritten too depending.

Anyways vid below. Dont have time to do anything else as am quite busy today with graphical work unfortunately. After a quick search there were no other vids avail to use as an example. Lots of JP wikis that explain things though. Color of the weapon icons = rarity = more slots for skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDcRIG_ftrQ&feature=youtu.be

Parakeetman

That's not bad, I wouldn't mind that figure.

i dont know, wouldnt trust the quality till you see a close up of the face itself... might wind up like the infamous KOS-MOS LE figure
04.jpg

btw i found the video of someone blowing the last story boss to pieces under a minute. will leave it in link format so folks dont see the YT image.

click at own risk if you have not played the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLYsp4nYUjQ

from this JP blog. pretty amusing place.

http://game.girldoll.org/consumer/freedomwars/85749

also best image from the blog itself lol

140723_00.jpg

http://game.girldoll.org/consumer/freedomwars/88360/

also word of warning dont click on the bloggers "anime icon" as it will lead to the artists website that has some NSFW pics on it.

and another vid of abductors just getting pure roflstomped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv1Yf0Fov28

The review said blogger did for freedom wars Id say its an opinion worth listening to considering how much said user has played / mastered the system itself. The videos linked here is proof of that. So with that being said its an actual low score that has the skills to back up the claims with the title. From a contact that knows said person they say that the blogger has put in a pretty long amount of time into the game itself too.
http://game.girldoll.org/consumer/freedomwars/80903/

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
btw i found the video of someone blowing the last story boss to pieces under a minute. will leave it in link format so folks dont see the YT image.
The thumbnails are displayed above the youtube links on the mobile version anyway (not that I care :p).

In other news, the soundtrack was released today in both physical form and on itunes. I grabbed the itunes version because it was cheaper and ripping cds is a pain (don't think I can get the limited item code though).
46 tracks, most of them really good reminded me how good this game can get once they fix some of the issues and release the online mp patch. Can't wait.

Parakeetman

The thumbnails are displayed above the youtube links on the mobile version anyway (not that I care :p).

In other news, the soundtrack was released today in both physical form and on itunes. I grabbed the itunes version because it was cheaper and ripping cds is a pain (don't think I can get the limited item code though).
46 tracks, most of them really good reminded me how good this game can get once they fix some of the issues and release the online mp patch. Can't wait.

Considering you had beat the game already dont think it matters for you anyways!

Top Bottom