• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom 2014 press conference confirmed for August 12

KoopaTheCasual

Japanese game is surely Bloodborne?
Nope, the retailer meeting is dated for July 3rd, after it was already officially announced. So that means it's a new Studio Japan game. But the various places saying it's digital only kind of dampens my expectations.

It is an advantage to be in that position unless the earlier press conference is significantly more impressive. In addition; though Sony makes its plans well ahead of time, it allows them to make adjustments based on seeing MS's first.

Similar to in a contest where you get to see someone else try something first and adjust base don what you see.

Of course it is moot if MS does something ground shaking.

you really think a live conference isn't planned WELL in advance, and then rehearsed and whatnot?

Sony can change very ... very ... very small things, but nothing major.

I really think Sony is missing the boat though. There is a large JRPG fanbase in Japan and the US that is just dying for a competitor to Final Fantasy, which is really the only real high budget .. graphically superior JRPG FRANCHISE still being made. If Sony can just put together a strong overall title, they would sell millions of copies just by default.

Ahh, but sadly that means the other one is not studio Japan. Probably MM, or GG, or someone else for the new IP. Either way, I'm really interested to see what Studio Japan has been cooking up.

It wouldn't surprise me if that second one turned out to be Until Dawn since they've released multiple teasers for it.

The Sony Japan game is a big mystery. I'd love for it to be Gravity Rush 2, but Toyama isn't giving any hints about being in Germany. I know that Japan Studio just opened their own Niconico channel, so it looks like they're prepping some bigger stuff soon.

KoopaTheCasual

Maybe it's unannounced to them, you know, the press?

They have a slot reserved for 'game X', doesn't mean that it couldn't be Bloodborne.
But why would a press have a 30 minute extensive hands off look at a game that's playable on the show floor, for both publication review and general attendees?

I know you're just trying to keep expectations in check, but it seems pretty clear it's a new title. But once again, I don't think it's gonna be on the same scale as Bloodborne, since it's digital.

Man

Maybe it's unannounced to them, you know, the press?

They have a slot reserved for 'game X', doesn't mean that it couldn't be Bloodborne.
This is what I'm thinking. 30min is considerable demo time after all and Bloodborne is one title that could provide that.

Hoo-doo

Banned
But why would a press have a 30 minute extensive hands off look at a game that's playable on the show floor, for both publication review and general attendees?

I know you're just trying to keep expectations in check, but it seems pretty clear it's a new title. But once again, I don't think it's gonna be on the same scale as Bloodborne, since it's digital.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm just suggesting the idea that it might be a simple error in translation or interpretation.

you really think a live conference isn't planned WELL in advance, and then rehearsed and whatnot?

Sony can change very ... very ... very small things, but nothing major.

The cameraman didn't rehearse though, that means there's time to improv and Sony can sneak another Paint-produced slide in there if MS try dropping a bomb.

Also, if MS announce GTA6 exclusivity first, Scott Rodhe is going to ride in on a scooter and top it.

KoopaTheCasual

It wouldn't surprise me if that second one turned out to be Until Dawn since they've released multiple teasers for it.

The Sony Japan game is a big mystery. I'd love for it to be Gravity Rush 2, but Toyama isn't giving any hints about being in Germany. I know that Japan Studio just opened their own Niconico channel, so it looks like they're prepping some bigger stuff soon.
Ahh boo. That's probably it. Forgot that was already leaked. It would also make sense to have an extended demo of a move(and possibly morpheus) game.

As for GR2, man, the fallout from Vita fans would not be pretty if that's the case. I'm expecting Type-0 levels of butthurt for GR2.

Guymelef

Bloodborbe is officially announced, can't be Bloodborne.
Also "since it's digital." is official? Or just people expecting the "worse"?

jayu26

Ahh boo. That's probably it. Forgot that was already leaked. It would also make sense to have an extended demo of a move(and possibly morpheus) game.

As for GR2, man, the fallout from Vita fans would not be pretty if that's the case. I'm expecting Type-0 levels of butthurt for GR2.
Would call it leak, if Sony themselves are hinting it?

KAL2006

Banned
Potential Big Announcements
Media Molecule New IP
Guerilla Games New IP
Sony London New IP
Sony Japan New IP

Stellar Announcements
Sony Bend PSN game
Giant Sparrow PSN game
Gravity Rush 2 for PS4/Vita
Beyond Directors Cut
Journey PS4
Until Dawn
Move game from Zindagi

I reckon we will get no big announcements and 5 stellar announcements as well as more on games we know about like Rime.

xAniki88

Banned
Bloodborbe is officially announced, can't be Bloodborne.
Also "since it's digital." is official? Or just people expecting the "worse"?

During a live Q&A, i asked about that jp ps4 game, to the editor chief of everyeye.it ( italian site )
His answer was a bit vague, but long story short:

- he doesn't know exactly what it is
- new ip
- probably from japan studio
- not AAA but digital download game

the recorded q&a ( in italian obviously :p )
my question's around 01.00
http://www.twitch.tv/everyeyeit/c/4834041

self quote
but just like i said, he was vague in his answer

I expect PS4/Vita for GR2.

Guymelef

Also Until Dawn was a playable game on that leaked list.
I don't think media needs 45 minutes talk about the game when they can play it.

Yeah, TGS was pretty cool. Too bad we havent seen anything from the new Gundam Game or EDF so far.

I've a feeling that we will see some cool Games, i don't care if they are Indie, Triple A, Free to Play or whatever. Games are Games. Also excited to try out Bloodborne :p

Right. TGS was pretty good last year and truth be told I am looking forward to it a more than gamescom but I still expect several nice things to come out of gamescom.

Two spanish podcast guys who will go to Gamescom.
http://www.vandal.net/foro/mensaje/868130/hilo-oficial-gamescom-2014-conferencia-de-sony-dia-12-a-las-1900/12

Two "secret dates" one for a japanese game, another for an unanounced IP.

japanese game: 30 minutes, other game: 45.

PS4 games, both unannounced.

Hype increasing rapidly. About the JP game:

"This is pre-release information, so I can't write anything about it. I don't think it'll make the fall, so we'll have to wait a little bit longer than that."

"But I've seen actual gameplay, and it is really just breathtaking. I saw less than 10 minutes of the game, but I really have to take my hat off to the studio for their amazing work. Oh by the way, this isn't about Final Fantasy XV; I wonder when that one is going to be released…"

"But anyway, I am totally going to buy this!"

Why does he mention FFXV all of a sudden......it has to be SCEJ's JRPG.....omg please

Guerrila Cambridge?

Because I still hold out hope for some kind of epic RPG from the main Guerrilla team. Kill Strain sounds like a shooter/survival game.

Oh yeah Cambridge is making a PS4 game as well totally forgot about that. I can see them taking over the KZ franchise while the main Guerrilla team works on their new IP.

Right. TGS was pretty good last year and truth be told I am looking forward to it a more than gamescom but I still expect several nice things to come out of gamescom.

TGS is going to be really interesting this year, imo. Less so on Sony, but more so on the stance of 3rd-parties on PS4.

The expectation last year was that Japan was duly unprepared for next-gen transition, thus we're seeing the results of nogaems for PS4 in Japan in 2014. But we know devs have been flirting, and there have been preliminary/early work on some titles, unannounced as well as those announced last year.

IMO, this TGS will be the make/break for PS4 in terms of how much momentum they can regain until FFXV releases.

This is my personal theory of what happened with TLG anyway

So go back to 2009, TLG is announced. Hype all around, people are happy. A first ICO game for the ps3. Although little detail is given

Come TGS 2010 with a new trailer, more gameplay snippets, even a release window.

Although in house, this is what I think was happening, based on interviews and article. Miyazaki is apparently known for being extremely perfectionist and my take on it is that he tried to remake stuff times and times again. Problem is that the ps3 hardware was showing it's age at the time. That, and if we go by that old kotaku article (trust me, it's actually a good one) about Japan Studio at the time, the hierarchy and organisation was a mess, with probably a couple dozen projects done on the side.

My guess is that they tried for a while to make the game work for ps3 to no avail, then Miyazaki left the team but still kept an eye on it.

Not too long after, I guess they got wind that a ps4 devkit was being made and would be available and thus decided to halt production until they get a stable ps4 devkit to rework the game

Then comes ps4 release and they probably had to rework a lot of stuff from scratch to accomodate the hardware, and since so much had to be done and it's kind of a big deal to move platforms, they want to stay silent on it.

That's my tinfoil hat theory, but it seems rather plausible in some way. The big surprise for me would be if they decided to still keep it as also a ps3 release

Makes sense. Afaik Ueda is working on it still and didn't ever really leave, so there is hope.

Bundy

Banned
Potential Big Announcements
Media Molecule New IP
Guerilla Games New IP
Sony London New IP
Sony Japan New IP

Stellar Announcements
Sony Bend PSN game
Giant Sparrow PSN game
Gravity Rush 2 for PS4/Vita
Beyond Directors Cut
Journey PS4
Until Dawn
Move game from Zindagi

What actually is gonna happen:

Knack - Game of the Year Edition

Damn pre-show hype threads. Now all excited about a JRPG.

I swear to god if it doesn't come to fruition im going to boycott these threads.

Bundy

Banned
That sounds like Guerilla's game i think.

Too early. Don't forget they've started their new project a few months ago (after Killzone: M).
The KILL STRAIN tradmark is a few weeks old. You normall do that when your game is near completion (or in the beta phase). Not at the beginning of the development stage.
So it can't be Cabridge's game.

Damn pre-show hype threads. Now all excited about a JRPG.

I swear to god if it doesn't come to fruition im going to boycott these threads.
At TGS maybe.
Not at Gamescom.

TGS is going to be really interesting this year, imo. Less so on Sony, but more so on the stance of 3rd-parties on PS4.

The expectation last year was that Japan was duly unprepared for next-gen transition, thus we're seeing the results of nogaems for PS4 in Japan in 2014. But we know devs have been flirting, and there have been preliminary/early work on some titles, unannounced as well as those announced last year.

IMO, this TGS will be the make/break for PS4 in terms of how much momentum they can regain until FFXV releases.

Right. This will be a big indication of how much third party support the PS4 has coming in the next year.

We know Falcom, NIS and GUST all have PS4 titles in dev. NIS said their title will be revealed at TGS and I'm suspecting its Disgaea 5.

raviolico

Why does he mention FFXV all of a sudden......it has to be SCEJ's JRPG.....omg please

it`s a wild guess...but weren`t FFXV and TLG always prime candidates for those
"wonder wich will come out first" jokes/memes in the last couple of years?

Maybe it´s a subtile hint...

gash, why i`m doing this to myself... :(

#teamTRICObelieve

They already released the Game of the Year Edition on day one! I hope he appears in Bloodborne as a boss.

Wonder Witch 2 is coming out in October, WiiU only.

In the leaked gameplay trailer it showed the chosen undead fighting this lightning enemy which looks liked big knack.

knack-review-05.jpg

Dusky

That sounds like Guerilla's game i think.

Nah it's not. Killzone is already a shit name, surely they wouldn't be so stupid as to go for Kill Strain. It's just a trademark anyway, doesn't mean it'll ever come to fruition. They do have a domain name registered for it though.

The Hungry Horde sounds like some small PSN title, maybe even crazy enough to be whatever this Japanese title is. Million Ways sounds dreamy so I'll go for MM on this one.

Also Until Dawn was a playable game on that leaked list.
I don't think media needs 45 minutes talk about the game when they can play it.

Isn't Until Dawn that PS Move game that was supposed to release on PS3? That game was announced like years ago. So I dont see how Until Dawn could be an unnannounced game, even if it is rebooted for PS4.

Wasn't it revealed with some Gameplay at like E3 several years ago? The game where you walk around in the dark with the flashlight, controlled with the Move Controller?

Is there a different Until Dawn?

Isn't Until Dawn that PS Move game that was supposed to release on PS3? That game was announced like years ago. So I dont see how Until Dawn could be an unnannounced game, even if it is rebooted for PS4.

Wasn't it revealed with some Gameplay at like E3 several years ago? The game where you walk around in the dark with the flashlight, controlled with the Move Controller?

Is there a different Until Dawn?

The one Teaser Sony released was definitely for Until Dawn so I guess Sony will give us Until Dawn as a new announcement

Nope, they're more comparable to Media Molecule. Around 50 I think.

When they made Uncharted: Golden Abyss(2011) they had a core team of 55 people and they outsourced a lot.*
Since then they grew in size, I guess.

*According to the Uncharted: GA Post Mortem:
Uncharted: Golden Abyss is a huge game, much larger than our core team of 55 people could hope to build on its own. To get the game done we relied on the hard work of several support teams. MK Productions (five people) did some of our large animated events; Scratch Image (three people) did almost all of our lip synching and facial animation; our producing team in Foster City (10 people) handled the logistics for everything, including localization, QA, interfacing with support groups, focus testing and more; the Sony music team (35 people) wrote and produced our soundtrack; the Sony sound department (34 people) developed all of the game's sound effects and VO; the Visual Arts and Services Group (32 people) helped with cinematic animation and motion capture clean-up; we did all of our motion capture at the Culver City motion-capture studio (30 people); and the performance capture director and actors (11 people) brought our characters to life. This doesn't even begin to count the many, many people working in Global Technology, Platform Architecture, Game Tech, HR, Finance, PR, Marketing, Management, as well as the many teams responsible for localization in Europe, Asia and Latin America.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/181082/postmortem_sony_bend_studios_.php

Top Bottom