• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Final Fantasy XV was a success, do you see Square milking it?

ConceptX

I expect XV-2.

I also wouldn't call it milking it if they are a worthy addition to the franchise, that part is what remains to be seen after some sequels.

Re-using some, or even a big portion of art assets is fine if the game play and story arch hold well.

Square seem to be turning onto a better path now, and I really do hope they stick to it, and continue on with bigger and better things, I think the last few years have really shocked them and gave them more than a few things to re-evaluate. Of course in any SE convo you can't post without saying "nah it's SE, they will screw up", but, if they want to continue making AAA games, they can't screw up any more.

I think it's now a case of it can only get better, that's what I hope anyway.

Slowdive

Banned
I think they'll do one more FFXV game at least. They said as much last year when they announced E3. I don't think they'll beat this universe to death however. Last generation was unique since everything was messed up. FFXIII development was messed up, their engine was messed up, FFXIV tried to kill everyone, and so we were all sent to a very dark place. They have a full plate this generation.

Their next big projects in order: FFXV --> Kingdom Hearts 3 --> FFXVI --> FF7 Project.

FFXV will be Fiscal '15. It's not just important for SE. I'm going to assume December for Japan, and January for the rest of the world. One month apart sounds fine and, more importantly, brings the Western release to the final quarter.

Since Nomura is fully focused on KH3 now, I think that could make a possible release in Fiscal '16 as a best case scenario. If not, it'll be Fiscal '17.

The next FFXV game could probably fit in Fiscal '17 too since that would give Tabata about two years from FFXV, which should be more than enough time. I don't see how they fit in more FFXV games beyond this. They could do some episodic content instead.

FFXVI will probably follow up in Fiscal '18 since it'll have about 4-5 years behind it at that time, which is about what FFXV has so it's a safe guess. This is basically at the end of the generation.

January is earlier than I expected. :)

benzy

Definitely.

And honestly, I can't see them just throwing away the engine they already built for this game just to switch to Luminous, same with the assets.

It's a temporary engine for the game until they can fully switch to Luminous when it's completed. It's basically a last-gen engine. What makes it look good is that parts of Luminous are already being integrated with it.

Slowdive

Banned
January doesn't seem like a good guess, everyone's usually broke/paying off credit cards then. February/March sounds like a better guess imo.

Yeah, I thought March, a year or so after the demo sounds good. But if they release it earlier than that I wouldn't mind obviously.

Timeaisis

Legitimate question:
Has there ever been a good FF sequel?

X-2 was bad.
XIII series was bad.
After Years was awful.

I guess Crisis Core was good, but that's a prequel.

Vashetti

Banned
Please, no.

Just move on to the next FF universe/story/characters/plot, etc. FF games shouldn't get sequels. If single FF games deserved sequels, VIII would have gotten one a long time ago :p

This is the future of the series, going forward.

You want high quality FF games? They need to make back that cost by reusing assets.

Sequels doesn't automatically = bad.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Legitimate question:
Has there ever been a good FF sequel?

X-2 was bad.
XIII series was bad.
After Years was awful.

I guess Crisis Core was good, but that's a prequel.

X-2 had good gameplay.
XIII-2 was superior to the predecessor.
Revenant Wings... okay, it was totally different, but it wasn't bad?
There isn't really a tradition of FF sequels.

Also, Lightning jokes are getting really stale by now.

HeelPower

Does anyone expect the FFXV Demo to be sold or downloadable separately from the Type-0 co-release ?

I very much expect it to be.Why would you limit the demo's exposure to Type-0 buyers ? Especially if it doesn't do too well.

B.K.

Do they really have a choice? With as much time and money as they've sunk into the title, they don't really have much choice but to reuse as much as they can and pump out a couple quick, cheap sequels to make back some money they've spent on the game.

dramatis

Does anyone expect the FFXV Demo to be sold or downloadable separately from the Type-0 co-release ?

I very much expect it to be.Why would you limit the demo's exposure to Type-0 buyers ? Especially if it doesn't do too well.
The point is to make Type-0 do well via people who buy the game for the demo, even if they don't particularly want the game.

Vashetti

Banned

I think they've assured some degree of success for Type-0 by tying that XV demo to it. Plus it's the first major FF title for the new consoles, besides XIV on PS4.

I also think they will sell the demo separately at some point. Why wouldn't they?

HeelPower

The point is to make Type-0 do well via people who buy the game for the demo, even if they don't particularly want the game.

A few months later they're gonna have to let as many people play as they can.

Realistically, Type-0 can only do so well.It can't necessarily mean maximum exposure which I assume they want for the demo.

Harmen

If they plan it from the beginning and the main title is actually good, I do not see a problem. The FFIV, VII, X and XII sequels and spin offs were a clear afterthought (I thought CC was pretty good, though) and nobody likes Lightning and her nonsense friends, so fuck those sequels.

jholmes

If FFXV has characters and a world as interesting as, say, FFVI, or FFIX, who wouldn't be down for a sequel or two?

VI and IX had characters and a world as interesting as VI and IX and they didn't get sequels, so I'm afraid this logic doesn't apply here. XIII had thoroughly unlikable characters and a pointlessly confusing world, and Square-Enix is still trying to cram it down our collective throats.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
X-2 is great. Crisis Core is great.

X-2 is great? The first five minutes offended me and I gave up on it. Gameplay over story doesn't do it for me in an RPG, if that's the reason. And I hated the first five minutes of the battle system.

ConceptX

X-2 had good gameplay.
XIII-2 was superior to the predecessor.
Revenant Wings... okay, it was totally different, but it wasn't bad?
There isn't really a tradition of FF sequels.

Also, Lightning jokes are getting really stale by now.

X-2 could of been great, but instead they changed it so much that it should of been a spin off, so it's only good, certainly not bad.

Game play was great, X's world/story is great and going back to an updated, albeit only slightly in some parts, Spira was interesting, then they ruined with it the stupid cheesy tone and for the most part, a totally different musical direction that again drifted too far from X's tone and story.

Game play is pretty underrated for X-2 though for sure, the rest of it...well, that's questionable. I'd personally love to see X-3 or a Prequel, following in the real footsteps of X with a similar tone and systems.

It was too much fan service, but I expected that since it wasn't really planned during X's development.

Edit: I quoted the wrong quote because I'm special.

Skilletor

X-2 is great? The first five minutes offended me and I gave up on it. Gameplay over story doesn't do it for me in an RPG, if that's the reason. And I hated the first five minutes of the battle system.

And gameplay for me is the most important thing, no matter the genre. Ideological difference. :)

But I even liked the thematic changes, probably because I don't give a shit about the bad stories in rpgs.

Ishida

Banned

The battle system is easily the best in the entire series. Plot is also pretty good, but I'm not too fond of the art style and overall Charlie's Angels motiff.

Personally, I liked it.

wmlk

I literally love everything that I see, and the new, tweaked battle system doesn't dampen my hype at all.

Yes, I do see it, and I'd love it if this game were a success.

If the game is good and they CAN do more with a sequel that doesn't step on the toes of the first game and lets us view the world in a different way, so be it.

Still, IMO, the best thing they could do is use a majority of the natural assets for additional games, like FFXVI, or even other Square IPs(if they wish to bring other franchises into this new generation).

Kiote

Enix can do all the spin offs of FFXV they want, but if they want any hope of saving the Final Fantasy brand, they'd better stick to spin-offs and forget sequels were ever a thing.

Sequels piss off Fans of the Series. Spin-offs are adequate enough to satisfy fans of the specific game.

Ventara

No doubt in my mind they would. Doesn't even have to be a success. As long as it doesn't bomb hard they're gonna make a sequel. Square-Enix is gonna do it's best to milk the shit out of all the money it's gonna pour into the assets of FF15.

Btw, I don't mind this at all, just to be clear. If the game is good, I'd welcome it, in fact.

Verendus

Banned
January doesn't seem like a good guess, everyone's usually broke/paying off credit cards then. February/March sounds like a better guess imo.
End of January is a good time in my eyes. Either that or February at the latest. March would be too late if December ends up being the Japan release. They would be leaving too much time. Also, because if they want official bundles and so forth, March 2016 probably won't end up being the best time.

I know people think Japan RPGs are a niche genre, but I'm pretty confident in saying that Final Fantasy is exempt from that. It's a big franchise, and it's going to do really well. I don't play most Japan RPGs, but I'll play Final Fantasy. There are a lot of people like that. FFXIII sequels selling pathetically has more to do with FFXIII not living up to expectations. The first entry still managed a good shipment but sales didn't carry on because the game was lacking.

With FFXV, there can't be an extended period between the releases if it's going to be a staggered release. It's best to release, build that momentum, then release in the West also and continue it.

Worldwide release for consumers is ideal, but late next year is really a bad time for a worldwide release in terms of business. Even though the audience may not entirely be the same, the idea is to sell the game to as many people as possible. We have the usual big franchises next year, and both SCE and Microsoft have massive games coming in Uncharted and Halo. That is a lot of competition that will likely command more attention from the average person. Late next year is a big deal for the PS4 for other reasons than Uncharted too.

Removing themselves from the that period will give FFXV breathing room outside of Japan. In addition to that, it's also a good time to potentially secure something more since it's the final quarter before the fiscal year ends. And the end of January is enough time to pretty much carry on without too much downtime.

Verendus

Banned
If we actually get the Yakuza games Verendus said we would be getting I will believe him on VII...
Maybe if Yakuza fans weren't so terrible, it wouldn't have to be this hard. Yeah, I went there. I'm pulling a Sega. It's the fans.

Please support the Age of One.

End of January is a good time in my eyes. Either that or February at the latest. March would be too late if December ends up being the Japan release. They would be leaving too much time. Also, because if they want official bundles and so forth, March 2016 probably won't end up being the best time.

I know people think Japan RPGs are a niche genre, but I'm pretty confident in saying that Final Fantasy is exempt from that. It's a big franchise, and it's going to do really well. I don't play most Japan RPGs, but I'll play Final Fantasy. There are a lot of people like that. FFXIII sequels selling pathetically has more to do with FFXIII not living up to expectations. The first entry still managed a good shipment but sales didn't carry on because the game was lacking.

With FFXV, there can't be an extended period between the releases if it's going to be a staggered release. It's best to release, build that momentum, then release in the West also and continue it.

Worldwide release for consumers is ideal, but late next year is really a bad time for a worldwide release in terms of business. Even though the audience may not entirely be the same, the idea is to sell the game to as many people as possible. We have the usual big franchises next year, and both SCE and Microsoft have massive games coming in Uncharted and Halo. That is a lot of competition that will likely command more attention from the average person. Late next year is a big deal for the PS4 for other reasons than Uncharted too.

Removing themselves from the that period will give FFXV breathing room outside of Japan. In addition to that, it's also a good time to potentially secure something more since it's the final quarter before the fiscal year ends. And the end of January is enough time to pretty much carry on without too much downtime.

They are wrong. Japan's biggest franchises are rpgs:
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Pokemon
Yokai Watch
Dragon Quest
Monster Hunter

XV-2 is probably guaranteed and I am sure many would actually want it if the game turns out to be amazing. I wouldn't call that milking at all. Poor choice of words by the OP. Creating a sequel is suddenly milking the franchise......yeah no.

Top Bottom