• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
ivysaur12 said:
I bought the first Shining Force and wasn't too impressed. Granted, I didn't put much time into it. I've always been a FE fan, so is SF2 worth getting into?
It's infinitely better and polished than SF1.

Unfortunately for me I played SF1 AFTER SF2.
It's almost as bad as playing that other SF1 after SF2.

Even little things like the cursor moving faster and the spritework being just a bit tighter puts SF2 over. Then you factor in the less retarded AI, the better character balance, the larger variety in character designs and abilities, explorable overworld, special promotions, more interesting battles, and just an overall better designed game and well there you go.

Hell even the SF1 GBA remake isn't any better than SF2 and it hit how many years afterward? In fact it can be argued that the SF1 GBA remake is actually worse than SF1 vanilla. Depressing indeed.

Oh by the way here's a beastly party that'll destroy practically everyone in the game:

Karna- Granted you won't get for awhile but if you give her the Vigor Ball and make her a master monk not only will you have a killer fighter but you'll also have a fantastic healer since she can cast Aura and Heal(as a bonus she'll level extremely quickly since healing spells always give decent exp)

Bowie- You're stuck with him but hey at least he's great.

Peter- Probably the best strict melee character in the game, no reason to ever take him out of your party.

Slade- Sucks as a thief but after hitting Ninja he becomes a great fighter and his spells give him a good ability to work with on the side. He can also use a weapon that can kill most enemies in one or two strikes...worth it? I think so

Gerhalt- Another insane melee character. Give him a running pimento though because his movement sucks.

Frayja- A fantastic healer since like Karna he has access to Aura. Really can't go wrong with this dude ever.

Sheela- A master monk...never can have too many of those.

Kazin- As a mage he's decent but once he becomes a Sorceror he gains some of the most powerful spells in the game. By the final battle he can perform some devastating stuff that'll wipe entire groups of the toughest monsters.

May or Rohde- Either one is fine(though I prefer May) as a good sniper is always helpful and can wear enemies down for the melee characters to finish off.

Randolf- If you're going to get a Baron why not go for the guy who will gain +1 to movement when he gets a promotion? Movement is extremely important in this game.

For the other two characters it's up to you really. I'm partial to Zynk but you may want to take another archer (May or Rohde), If you want you can leave Kazin as a Wizard and pick another character to make the jump to Sorc..it's up to you.

HOWEVER

Avoid these dudes like the plague:

Luke- Completely shit. His Attack is weak and his defense is worse, he just falls further behind the longer you keep him in your party. Drop as soon as you get your 13th party member.

Kiwi- Insane defense but next to no HP. What does that mean? Well spells kill him like nothing. This is ignoring the fact that late in the game defense becomes less of a factor. Even after promotion he still blows.

Claude/Chaz/Lemon- They may or may not be good characters but by the time you get them you're so far in the game they're no longer a factor worth considering(okay maybe Lemon if you don't already have a Baron with Randalf or Jaha)

Zihark

ivysaur12 said:
I bought the first Shining Force and wasn't too impressed. Granted, I didn't put much time into it. I've always been a FE fan, so is SF2 worth getting into?
Like you I'm also a FE fan, but get SF2. Its amazing how much better it is then SF 1. Its quicker, press a to talk and search no more going into menus. Balanced level-ups and more balanced characters. Check your character stats with ease. It looks better-better portraits, sprites, music, etc.

MattNY

I guess playing SF so many times when it first came out has tainted my view, but I am surprised on how much people seem to dislike it compared to the sequel. Both are two of my favorite games of all time.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
out of a fit of boredom, booted up zelda: link to the past. my god. this game just never gets old for me. i can play through it once, relishing every little moment, sidequest, and memorable animation, and a month later be ready to do it all again. it's just resplendent in every way.

"whoa. . . i saw her. a very nice young lady at the waterfall of wishing in the hills where the river begins. . . beelze, you should meet her at least once. i'm sure you will like her."

Grug

beelzebozo said:
out of a fit of boredom, booted up zelda: link to the past. my god. this game just never gets old for me. i can play through it once, relishing every little moment, sidequest, and memorable animation, and a month later be ready to do it all again. it's just resplendent in every way.

"whoa. . . i saw her. a very nice young lady at the waterfall of wishing in the hills where the river begins. . . beelze, you should meet her at least once. i'm sure you will like her."

Best game ever made, and by a fair margin too. The ending still gets me teary... so beautiful and happy without being cheesy. "And the Master Sword sleeps again.... Forever?" *shivers down spine*

BTW... people who rename Link make me want to do self harm.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Grug said:
Best game ever made, and by a fair margin too. The ending still gets me teary... so beautiful and happy without being cheesy. "And the Master Sword sleeps again.... Forever?" *shivers down spine*

:lol

sorry about the renaming.

but replaying it actually made me realize that the pegasus boots that let you dash have been missing from all the 3d zelda games. i realize that probably had a lot to do with technical limitations--just making link move at regular speed in 3d space was probably a huge logistical challenge when they were making o.o.t.--but i'd really like to see that sense of speed come back to zelda in the next 3d game. maybe even make the pegasus boots upgradeable with roc's feather to add a jump (i guess that's a more controversial opinion). imagine all the cool blur effects they could toss in when link goes dashing into a suspicious looking pile of boulders and finds a passage underground!

beelzebozo said:
:lol

sorry about the renaming.

but replaying it actually made me realize that the pegasus boots that let you dash have been missing from all the 3d zelda games. i realize that probably had a lot to do with technical limitations--just making link move at regular speed in 3d space was probably a huge logistical challenge when they were making o.o.t.--but i'd really like to see that sense of speed come back to zelda in the next 3d game. maybe even make the pegasus boots upgradeable with roc's feather to add a jump (i guess that's a more controversial opinion). imagine all the cool blur effects they could toss in when link goes dashing into a suspicious looking pile of boulders and finds a passage underground!

That would be awesome. I can already see some fun stuff. I doubt it'd be possible to combine that with the Grappling Hook from WW, but that would create the ultimate in awesome for me.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
that would be awesome, but each time you add an action while link is going that fast, it increases the complexity exponentially. but hey, stranger things have happened--the zelda team is one of the most talented development teams working, and if anyone would have the collective brains to make it work, i would put my money on them.

just combining the pegasus boots and roc's feather would be wow-inducing enough. running at huge gaps at full speed and having to jam the jump button (controversy) to clear a massive expanse. . . :eek:

Christopher

Grug said:

I still name him Chris - he has no personality so it doesn't even matter.

Link to the past was such a HUGE game when I was 8...it just felt like it was a great huge adventure.

Looking back on it now, it still is more enjoyable and has a better story than Twilight Princess.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Christopher said:
Looking back on it now, it still is more enjoyable and has a better story than Twilight Princess.

i would argue that if you could travel back in time and give the 8 year old you a choice between the two, he'd probably take twilight princess. not saying that speaks definitively to relative quality of either game, but i think it behooves you to take into account the context in which you played them

beelzebozo said:
that would be awesome, but each time you add an action while link is going that fast, it increases the complexity exponentially. but hey, stranger things have happened--the zelda team is one of the most talented development teams working, and if anyone would have the collective brains to make it work, i would put my money on them.

just combining the pegasus boots and roc's feather would be wow-inducing enough. running at huge gaps at full speed and having to jam the jump button (controversy) to clear a massive expanse. . . :eek:

Already did it with Link's Awakening, why not again?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
right! the only reason i can imagine they wouldn't would be, as i said, the 3d challenge of conveying that sense of speed while still maintaining control of link.

beelzebozo said:
right! the only reason i can imagine they wouldn't would be, as i said, the 3d challenge of conveying that sense of speed while still maintaining control of link.

I shall now have nightmares of Link controlling as badly as Sonic.

HUELEN10

So in about 6 hours, we know what will hit the VC! As always, it is time to guess! We know WiiWare gets world of goo, so I will once again guess Kirby's Dreamland 3! I want it to come out bad! My stretch pick would be Mario's Super Picross. We need more SNES games!

AlternativeUlster said:
It is going to be Secret of Mana, I feel it.

Don't do this to me, I'll just be disappointed :(

We're definately getting World of Goo and an Art Style game (They said that 2 are coming this month, there are 3 weeks left in the month and it can't be next week's game since it's gonna be Strongbad Ep 3)

So because of the fact that we're getting two OMFG AWESOME Wii Ware games, we won't get anything decent on VC.

Jiggy

I call Phantasy Star IV and Earthworm Jim--one of which I definitely won't buy and the other which I may not buy since I could play it on PSP, albeit without the same quality of emulation.

[Edit: Not to sound unhappy, though. PSIV is awesome and deserves the purchase of anyone who hasn't played it--and probably also a lot of people who have. And EWJ... I haven't played it, but it gets its acclaim, so obviously that would be nice for VC. I'm just saying I don't expect to be buying anything later today. :p]

On a separate note, I was thinking of saying I can't believe that I drove 36 miles one way to get to a Toys R Us that had Wii points in stock, and bought a total of 400 more points than the number I spent on VC releases (VC only, no WiiWare) between May 28th, 2007 and October 6th, 2008. But then I remembered that I'm Jiggy"even-my-one-liners-have-a-minimum-word-count-of"37 and probably Top Ten NeoGAF Virtual Console Supporters material, so saying I can't believe how many Wii points I bought or what I did to get them would be disingenous. :p

Now to find out if Nintendo can get me to spend that much in a period of 71 Mondays this time.

Jiggy37 said:
I call Phantasy Star IV and Earthworm Jim--one of which I definitely won't buy and the other which I may not buy since I could play it on PSP, albeit without the same quality of emulation.

On a separate note, I was thinking of saying I can't believe that I drove 36 miles one way to get to a Toys R Us that had Wii points in stock, and bought a total of 400 more points than the number I spent on VC releases (VC only, no WiiWare) between May 28th, 2007 and October 6th, 2008. But then I remembered that I'm Jiggy"even-my-one-liners-have-a-minimum-word-count-of"37 and probably Top Ten NeoGAF Virtual Console Supporters material, so saying I can't believe how many Wii points I bought or what I did to get them would be disingenous. :p

Now to find out if Nintendo can get me to spend that much in a period of 71 Mondays this time.
Aww, lucky. I called my local TRU, but they were already sold out. Ah well. I really need to catch up on my VC/WW stuff, since I haven't downloaded in like a year. =/

Jiggy

Well, I did have to go traveling for like 100 minutes and drop by multiple store locations, so I'm not that lucky. But eh, the things I'll do to show my love of VC...

Capndrake

Oh wow, Hudson promised their games (Gradius II, Digital Champ) for today again and they got screwed over AGAIN:

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND TWO VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Oct. 13, 2008

Armchair physicists rejoice! The hotly anticipated award-winning World of Goo™ makes its WiiWare™ debut this week, inviting players to build infinitely fascinating structures out of Goo and uncover the mystery behind the World of Goo Corporation. Other cool additions to the Wii Shop Channel™ this week include Art Style™: CUBELLO™, the second installment in Nintendo's Art Style series, and a pair of classics for the Virtual Console™: SECRET OF MANA™ and STREET FIGHTER™ II': SPECIAL CHAMPION EDITION. Fun offerings like these are sure to heat up your October, no matter how low the autumn temperatures may go.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

World of Goo (2D Boy, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone—Comic Mischief, 1,500 Wii Points): World of Goo is an award-winning, physics-based puzzle/construction game made entirely by two guys. Grab living, squirming, talking globs of goo to build structures, bridges, cannonballs, zeppelins and giant tongues. The millions of Goo Balls that live in the beautiful World of Goo are curious to explore—but they don't know that they are in a game, or that they are extremely delicious. World of Goo Corporation is contractually obligated to state that everyone is a winner, and is enthusiastic to celebrate everyone's Goo building opportunities equally.

Art Style: CUBELLO (Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 600 Wii Points): Art Style: CUBELLO mixes the strategy and feel of a traditional puzzle game with the precision and reflexes required in a shooter. As each stage begins, various colored cubes form into one large object called a Cubello, which floats and rotates as you play. Launch additional cubes from your magazine and try to connect four or more of the same color, removing them from the Cubello and eventually leaving only its core. Take on the challenge of either Stage or Endless mode and watch what happens when Bonus Time is activated. The straightforward controls and goal ensure that anyone can play, while offering enough depth that even advanced players will find themselves quickly addicted to the unique world of Art Style: CUBELLO.

Virtual Console

SECRET OF MANA (Super NES™, 1-3 players, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older—Mild Fantasy Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes, 800 Wii Points): Good and evil battle for a young warrior's heart. There is one force in the universe that keeps good and evil in perfect balance. It is called the tree of Mana. But a magic sword has tricked a young warrior into upsetting this balance, spreading evil throughout the land. Thus, the warrior must undertake a dangerous journey to find the seeds of the Mana tree, which have been hidden for centuries. Only then can perfect harmony be restored. In this incredible adventure, things are not as they seem. Magic swords release evil as well as fight it. Treasure chests hold booby traps. Monsters are friends and friends are enemies. Potions give power, black magic takes it away. Dragons fly, weapons change. It's a world turned upside down that you must help the warrior make right. And the only way to succeed is to solve the Secret of Mana.

STREET FIGHTER II': SPECIAL CHAMPION EDITION (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, Rated T for Teen—Violence, 800 Wii Points): STREET FIGHTER II': SPECIAL CHAMPION EDITION was the first STREET FIGHTER game released for the Sega Genesis console. The STREET FIGHTER series can be considered one of the first fighting games to popularize competitive video game fighting. This version of the game contains both the CHAMPION and HYPER rule sets, from the two editions released in the arcades. It also introduced an exclusive Group Battle mode that is now a general feature in most fighting games. Play as one of 12 different characters, each with their own distinctive fighting style. Try single-player mode or challenge a friend in this legendary, classic fighting game.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

EDIT: Err, never mind - Hudson scheduled the games for the 20th, not the 13th. Normally they only post dates if something is coming out the next week, so I thought it was for today.

botticus

So Cubello is Coloris?

Glad I got some cheap points yesterday but now I think I'm gonna go ahead and get more cheap points tonight if they still have some. World of Goo and SoM will be mine.

I should note that while I don't think Secret of Mana is a good game I do think it has the least amount of annoying game design of the entire series.

Plus the soundtrack is wonderful.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I should note that while I don't think Secret of Mana is a good game I do think it has the least amount of annoying game design of the entire series.

Plus the soundtrack is wonderful.

I don't know, I think the nonsensical collision detection is more annoying than anything in Legend. But I agree about the soundtrack. Secret of Mana retains value on account of its music and visuals and despite its game design.

It's great the VC version has three player support though. If you can play it with two other people and avoid using the AI, some of the fundamental problems go away.

botticus said:
So Cubello is Coloris?

Coloris doesn't involve shooting at all. You don't launch new cubes, you change the color of existing ones. It is based on three in a row matches, not four. Also, there is nothing about cores in Coloris and nothing floating or rotating. It's possible this is an extreme revamp of Coloris, but it sounds like a completely different game, with the only similarity being that there is color matching.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I should note that while I don't think Secret of Mana is a good game . . .

:(

My favorite Square SNES title. I'll admit that there are some terrible collision detection problems and the ally AI leaves much to be desired, but if you can muddle through those issues - everything else is fantastic (graphics, music , story, even the gameplay has plenty of charm despite the technical problems).

Top Bottom