• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Whee, another game to add to my friend's co-op backlog. We just finished Vesperia, started TotAbyss, and I have Symphonia waiting after that. And now Secret of Mana! Today's VC is insanely awesome.

Yaweee said:
And Ogre Battle 64! That should be on the list of endless begging, too, but I rarely see people asking for it.

The endless begging will only start once we have a true 3rd party N64 game on the VC in any territory. I think chances seem so remote right now (Square's relative VC reluctance + the complete omission of 3rd party N64 titles so far) that no one dares hope for Ogre Battle 64 yet.

Flakster99

JoshuaJSlone said:
I think he was asking whether people would recommend this Genesis version, or one of the Super Nintendo versions already on the service.

Yup.

I'm torn on which version to get. I suppose I would sacrifice graphics and sound to a small degree if the slow down was near to non existent. I guess I'll wait for some opinions from the double dippers, or those that remember the differences between the 2 versions.

SovanJedi said:
Fixed. Unless you're referring to the Game Boy game and not talking about the wonderful Seiken Densetsu 3. In which case, you're a freakbox.

I was mostly talking about the games available stateside.

I liked part 3 quite a bit, but the auto targetting in battle was obnoxious and the endgame paled compared to the first two. It was much more impressive than 2, but it didn't satisfy, despite the deeper gameplay. Maybe I need to play it through again with a different party, but the characters I used seemed to lose their personality as the game progressed and the story lost my interest at that point as well. It stopped being fun sometime during the part with the crystals.

That said, I would buy 3 in a heartbeat on Virtual Console. I just have very mixed feelings about it becuase it delivered both more and less than I expected.

As for Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure, it was simplistic, but was great for a handheld action RPG, which made me terribly disappointed when Sword of Mana turned out to be so flawed.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
nincompoop said:
Do Genesis VC releases have 6 button support? Not that I'm considering buying SF2 or anything, I'm just curious.

Comix Zone had six button support.

markatisu said:
TRU is not going to make it easy for you guys, they want to sell the cards for $20 if its possible so of course they will show limited stock yesterday and today on the shelves.
Logically, then, they should exclude the points cards from the sale, if that were true. However, I chalk this up to poor planning on TRU's part...

Struct09 said:
Did you make sure you're copying the channel to the SD card and not the save data?

Yeah, I was trying to copy over Ys Book 1&2 when it first gave me the "Data was not copied" error. I may have to call Nintendo later today.

later

Anyone tried buying this game in Europe yet by switching your console to US via homebrew? Interested in this, as it won't ever release in Europe on wiiware.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I need to give Secert Of Mana anther spin sometime. Didn't really click the last time I gave it a spin, but things change.

Fucking spot on! :D Didn't expect SOM on top of my prediction though! would've been a great update even without it!

I love NOA so much right now! (Don't stop here though! English versions of Mother 1 & 3 and Fire Emblems 1-6 please! And all those JPN/EU only DS and Wii games too!)

So which Bit Gens game is Cubello then? Or is it a whole new one?

dave_d

Drkirby said:
I need to give Secert Of Mana anther spin sometime. Didn't really click the last time I gave it a spin, but things change.

Well I found the translation extremely hard to follow. Apparently not only was the game cut down to fit on a cartridge but had a rush translation job on top of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_mana#Development

Actually besides FF7 this is one game I'd like to see have a remake with all the old stuff that was going to be in the original CD game plus a decent translation. (It'd be a natural as a DS game with WiFi multiplayer.)

dave_d

Nuclear Muffin said:
Fucking spot on! :D Didn't expect SOM on top of my prediction though! would've been a great update even without it!

I love NOA so much right now! (Don't stop here though! English versions of Mother 1 & 3 and Fire Emblems 1-6 please! And all those JPN/EU only DS and Wii games too!)

So which Bit Gens game is Cubello then? Or is it a whole new one?

I'm kind of surprised they haven't done Mother 1 or Tenchi Sozo since both of those have already been translated into english. (Hell, Earthbound Zero got leaked already and Tenchi Sozo was released in Europe.)

Oh SOM, such great memories, with my little brother and my Dad, heh such fun the likes of which wasn't to be seen again (I think anyway?) until FF:CC and Zelda: Four Swords on GameCube. :D

So you can play it on VC with 3 people just by having 3 controllers connected right?

Man that's so fantastically easy, and another huge endorsement for the VC service in general (as if a back catalog of some of the most legendary games of all time all together in one place needed any more endorsement).

mclem

Volcynika said:
Quick, everyone! If you have a birthday soon, find out if it's on a Monday!
Mine's on Monday 17th November. Unfortunately, I'm in Europe, so we get our releases Friday... so, er, enjoy whatever you get thanks to me!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo has been absolutely on fire with VC recently.

I'm wondering if Nintendo was purposely putting off this stuff until fall/winter due to the lack of big releases for Wii.

sfog

Do Genesis VC releases have 6 button support?

Yes, via the GC or Classic controllers, and only in those games which supported it originally, which are currently (in terms of US VC releases): Beyond Oasis, Comix Zone, Eternal Champions, Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition, Streets of Rage 3, and Virtua Fighter 2.

later

Anyone ever downloaded a game after using AnyRegion Changer? I want to do this for world of goo in Europe but need to know if it will not brick my wii and what the process is.

Thanks!

dave_d said:
Well I found the translation extremely hard to follow. Apparently not only was the game cut down to fit on a cartridge but had a rush translation job on top of it

I think I remember reading an interview with Woolsey once that stated he had to translate the script in out of order chunks - he didn't have a sequential version of the text. All things considered, it's a competent translation, and given the constraints Woolsey was put under, it's actually pretty remarkable.

Volcynika

Jiggy37 said:
Seven Six GAFers who I like should be checking their PMs. :)
Edit: Went down to five just as I was posting this.

But you're my favorite ho! :(

I'll pick up Shining Force 2 soon probably. Just got Secret of Mana :D

Jiggy

1) Was only sending to people who I haven't gifted games to previously, so it can be their turns
2) Determined who to send to by coin flips, since I like a lot more than seven people, so any one person's exclusion doesn't mean much

Blah, I knew I should have kept it strictly to PM. D: If I end up looking like an attention whore now, I'll blame every one of you. :( I just wanted to say something publicly so that I looked slightly less creepy, since I know that a lot of people claim to be flipping terrified of me around this forum.

Edit: Out for now, as it's almost 11:00 AM here.

dave_d said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_mana#Development

Actually besides FF7 this is one game I'd like to see have a remake with all the old stuff that was going to be in the original CD game plus a decent translation. (It'd be a natural as a DS game with WiFi multiplayer.)

This is why I'm pretty sad to see it appear on the VC. SoM deserves a remake/port a lot more than the overrated Chrono Trigger or the infinitely re-released Final Fantasys, but now that it's shown up on the virtual console, there remains little hope.

For anyone who hasn't played it, though, absolutely snatch it up. It's my favorite game ever and I'd buy it if I didn't still have my SNES cart

Jiggy37 said:
1) Was only sending to people who I haven't gifted games to previously, so it can be their turns
2) Determined who to send to by coin flips, since I like a lot more than seven people, so any one person's exclusion doesn't mean much

Blah, I knew I should have kept it strictly to PM. D: If I end up looking like an attention whore now, I'll blame every one of you. :( I just wanted to say something publicly so that I looked slightly less creepy, since I know that a lot of people claim to be flipping terrified of me around this forum.

Edit: Out for now, as it's almost 11:00 AM here.
Well, perhaps, if you didn't slink around with that bag of heads and high-heels, people would be more accepting. :D

Yaweee

mclem said:
Mine's on Monday 17th November. Unfortunately, I'm in Europe, so we get our releases Friday... so, er, enjoy whatever you get thanks to me!

No, I'll be taking credit for anything released that Monday :D

Llyranor said:
Is it available in the Canadian VC as well (is it the same as US?)?
Yes same region.

I know it probably does, but can anyone confirm 3 player support for SoM?

oh PS, I went to my local TRU and they did have Wii Poitns after all. I've got 10,000 now so I should be set for a while. Sale couldnt have come at a better time.

World of Goo is amazing. You build goo towers towards a goal. It can stretch and fall over and is sproingy. Fun stuff.

Cubollo has you shooting at a cube. You shoot a block and it disappears. This also makes the cube rotate. You're supposed to make colors match up and you only have so many shots to do it. Pretty cool idea, only played one level though.

I'd forgotten how awesome the music is in Secret of Mana. I loved it as a kid and I think I might play through the whole thing again. Can't wait to play it with friends.

mattso

World of Goo sounds interesting. But worth 15 bucks?

I'll wait and see

Kinda tempted to get Mario Golf. Would much rather have Mario Tennis

Top Bottom