• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Capndrake

You can actually buy them - Change your country to a European one and you'll be able to buy Europe-exclusive games. Just be sure you have 0 Wii Points when you switch and THEN add more, because you'll lose any you have in the switch!

fisheyes

I thought they fixed that with one of the system updates. Either way I've got like 400 points or something spare - too much to throw away, not enough to buy a game with. Ah well, shall wait until the coming weeks and see what else tickles my fancy.

As a side note, is it known why Australia isn't getting C64 titles anyway? How long did it take to clear up whatever issues Australia had with the turbografx games?

Jazzem

I'm a newcomer to Mayhem, and from what I've played it looks amazing for a C64 game and has great level design...but I'm not getting on with the controls. They feel somewhat slippery and I don't feel like I have precise control over it. Plus I'm not a fan of using up to jump.

I'll give it more time, I hope I click with it as it's a lovely game otherwise. But if I can't get on with the controls it'll ruin the whole thing for me :(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yeah, more than any platform on VC right now, the C-64 games should really come with uber customizeable controls.
Too bad it'll never happen.

sfog said:
A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia

Western-developed title from a now defunct company, correct? Jaleco seems to have released the game in Japan though, and I wonder if they are behind the VC release. They already have other titles on there. Surprised to see the game show up, but pleasantly surprised.

sfog

Western-developed title from a now defunct company, correct? Jaleco seems to have released the game in Japan though, and I wonder if they are behind the VC release.

Yes, it was originally from Absolute Entertainment, who hasn't been around since the mid-90's. The ESRB rating lists Majesco as the publisher, so they must have gotten the rights to it at some point.

Somnid

FFantasyFX said:
Western-developed title from a now defunct company, correct? Jaleco seems to have released the game in Japan though, and I wonder if they are behind the VC release. They already have other titles on there. Surprised to see the game show up, but pleasantly surprised.

Majesco is listed as the publisher. They are known for picking up these sorts of games from defunct publishers but strangely enough this will be their first VC game should they choose to release it. I guess we can expect more from them.

dock

Capndrake said:
Mayhem in Monsterland's a good trade-off if you ask me. The US isn't gonna get it at all (Or at least not anytime soon) :p
ARGH THIS GAME SUCKS! O_O
I just spent a while playing it, and didn't even pass the first stage. I love 2D platforms, it's probably my favourite genre, and this is horrible. AND... 'Up' for jump!! Why couldn't they re-map this to another button on the controller, or even just duplicate the functionality?! HAving to tap diagonal up in order to jump whilst walking is horrid.

So I collected all the randomly hidden magic items in the level, went to the 'finishing line' and nothing happened! I then reset the game and did all this again ,and my bubble-bobble-wannabe sprite is sitting on the finish line, with MAGIC 000 flashing, and the level does not end!....

FURY!

Most unpleasant experience I've had with a platform game in a long time. I should play some Gamemaker platform games by seven-year-olds to see much better examples of the genre!! O_O

I haven't been able to log-in to the Shopping Channel since they updated it some time after Super Metroid was release. When I try to log-in it tells me I need to go to system settings and download the update, problem is when I do that it tries to download then a short while later I get an error message with a number. I think it might be because my internet connection is too damn slow, at least I hope that's the case and it's not something worse.

I have some unspent Wii Points from ages ago.

CTLance

Naked Snake said:
problem is when I do that it tries to download then a short while later I get an error message with a number. I think it might be because my internet connection is too damn slow, at least I hope that's the case and it's not something worse.
Don't worry, that sounds like a connection problem.
Have you tried this site? What does your errorcode mean?

Are you using a wireless connection or are you using the Ethernet dongle? If it's the former, consider the dongle. Sure, the wires may be less convenient, but it's oh-so-hasslefree.

Somnid

Iam Canadian said:
Is this really necessary? Couldn't SNK have just skipped Metal Slug 2 in favour of Metal Slug X?

Why do we need 4 versions of Street Fighter II? Who cares? It's better to have all of them that way you can pick your favorite.

FoneBone

sfog said:
Yes, it was originally from Absolute Entertainment, who hasn't been around since the mid-90's. The ESRB rating lists Majesco as the publisher, so they must have gotten the rights to it at some point.
They were slated to publish GBA and DS sequels to the game, both of which were announced relatively early in those systems' respective lifespans, but never released.

CTLance said:
Don't worry, that sounds like a connection problem.
Have you tried this site? What does your errorcode mean?

Are you using a wireless connection or are you using the Ethernet dongle? If it's the former, consider the dongle. Sure, the wires may be less convenient, but it's oh-so-hasslefree.

I just gave it another try and it worked this time! Took an hour or so but it updated successful, yay! I don't know why it never worked before, I didn't change anything this time.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've been out of the country for the past few weeks and holy shit, it looks like I missed lots of goodies.

Just put $50 worth of points into my account. Time to BUY BUY BUY!

John Harker said:
Is SoM really 3 players here?

What types of controllers does it take, can you mix-match
I haven't specifically tried with Secret of Mana, but I'm pretty sure for SNES games any combination of Classic and GameCube controllers is fine.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
JoshuaJSlone said:
I haven't specifically tried with Secret of Mana, but I'm pretty sure for SNES games any combination of Classic and GameCube controllers is fine.

I thought so till, then I bought Breath of Fire 2 and it ONLY uses the classic controller, which I do not have :(

I got SoM though, and its fine with the GC controller

Been itching to add something to my import lineup, so last night I downloaded Super Fantasy Zone and I love it! This is my fave in the series so far. Having an additional special weapon is a nice touch. This game also has one of the best old school opening cinemas ever (O-Papa's death MUST be avenged! ^__^ )

After doing some fridge cleaning a few weeks ago, I have 136 blocks open. As badly as I want to buy a 300 block monster like Strongbad, I'm not freeing up anymore goods until Nintendo finally releases the SD firmware update this coming spring. It'd be nice if there was a good reason for this sort of timing, like say VC/DS-I connectivity? There's your probably-naive-yet-hopeful theory of the day.

The M.O.B

John Harker said:
I thought so till, then I bought Breath of Fire 2 and it ONLY uses the classic controller, which I do not have :(

You can use GC controller with BoF2, ive used it before.

Jiggy

Volcynika said:
So........anyone having a birthday tomorrow?
Seriously, need to know!

October 6th: Shining Force II, a well-loved 16-bit RPG with very solid mechanics (if simpler than most others in the same genre) backed up by an excellent soundtrack and set apart by some of its more unique features*.

October 13th: Secret of Mana, a well-loved 16-bit RPG with very solid mechanics (if simpler than most others in the same genre) backed up by an excellent soundtrack and set apart by some of its more unique features**.

*Flipsles, it's obscenely hard to level to 40 unpromoted without abusing that
Mist Demon
in the
secret forest battle
. D: Also, explorable overworld.
**Three-player co-op, ring menus.

Clearly, if it's some GAFer's birthday tomorrow then we'll get Lufia II or Earthbound, which also fall perfectly into this pattern.

joedick

Jiggy37 said:
Clearly, if it's some GAFer's birthday tomorrow then we'll get Lufia II or Earthbound, which also fall perfectly into this pattern.

Hudson have dated Gradius II and Digital Champ for Monday, not that that necessarily means anything...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This week will probably get a pass from a lot of the complainers because of Tetris anyways, but it's probably Gradius 2 and something else with another WiiWare title to give another 4 game week.

JRPereira

The title of this thread got my hopes up for a sec. I misread it as "online multiplayer virtual console...". I'm supposing that I'm not the first person to have made the mistake.

Shame nintendo won't get the shit together and make it happen.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
John Harker said:

Silly question -- are you sure you had the GameCube controller plugged into slot 1?

While 5+ player games let you assign controllers to ports before starting the game, all other games will only use GC controllers in the slots they are attached to.

Jiggy

joedick said:
Hudson have dated Gradius II and Digital Champ for Monday, not that that necessarily means anything...
I'm aware. But Gradius II and Digital Champ didn't go up last time they were scheduled, Ys Book I & II needed two tries, Break In needed two tries, Star Parodier needed two tries... Don't know what's up with the communications between Hudson and Nintendo (except to say that it's apparently not much good), but yeah, their listed release schedule doesn't mean much to me.

And even if it meant everything to me and I believed Gradius II and Digital Champ would both make it just according to keikaku, I'd still have said what I said--I'll keep on holding out for a three-game week until it actually happens, because I'm Pollyanna like that. :(

Volcynika

PR is up

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND TWO VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Oct. 20, 2008

No matter how many years go by, the blocks just never stop falling. Now Tetris Party gives you the chance to show off all the block-stacking skills you have honed through the years while competing with friends in a variety of new challenges. If you're in more of a solitary mood, see how long it takes you to work your way through The Incredible Maze. The Virtual Console also sees two classic games added. Whether you like to do your fighting with an airship or a pair of boxing gloves, you're covered.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

Tetris Party (Tetris Online, Inc., 1-6 players, Rated E for Everyone, 1,200 Wii Points):
Tetris Party is a deceptively simple, totally addictive puzzle game that is sure to keep you and all of your friends and family entertained for hours on end. The WiiWare game features 10 never-before-seen single-player and multiplayer variations of Tetris, including Field Climber, Stage Racer, Shadow and Wii Balance Board-enabled modes (Wii Balance Board™ accessory sold with Wii Fit™). Several of the modes give users the chance to take advantage of the unique point-and-shoot capabilities of the Wii Remote™ controller. The party doesn't stop there, though. Take the Tetris fun online via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection, where you can play multiplayer Tetris against up to five friends at a time. You can also see how your Tetris Party skills stack up against the rest of the world using the global ranking system.

The Incredible Maze (Digital Leisure Inc., 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Get lost in The Incredible Maze! Simply tilt your Wii Remote controller to navigate a series of exciting and twisted mazes. Entering the maze could not be easier, but finding your way out will require a keen eye and a steady hand. Obstacles and traps are around every corner, so move your ball around the maze without falling off the edge. But watch out, there are lots of surprises in store. You can hunt for gems in a timed challenge, or test your abilities in a race against the clock. The Incredible Maze is also compatible with the Wii Balance Board, so you can really put your weight into it. This is the way in, but you'll have to find your own way out.

Virtual Console

Digital Champ Battle Boxing (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older - Mild Violence, 700 Wii Points): Set in the near future, Digital Champ Battle Boxing is a first-person-perspective boxing title that plunges players into the raw intensity of the ring! Determined to thwart Mother Computer's plot to conquer mankind, you infiltrate the enemy's domain, using your boxing skills to vanquish your foes. Each round is three minutes, with a total of 12 rounds to a match. Advance to the next contest through either a KO or by flattening an opponent three times in a round for a TKO. Utilize an arsenal of left and right jabs, hooks, power-charged crosses and three different kinds of "Devastator" punches. Deftly block and slip your opponent's attacks, and look for your chance to lay them out. Master these techniques and take down the greatest opponent of them all, DIGITAL CHAMP!

GRADIUS® II GOFER NO YABOU (TurboGrafx16 CD-ROM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone - Mild Fantasy Violence, 900 Wii Points): This shooter is the sequel to the seminal masterpiece, GRADIUS. Two years after its last epic battle, the GRADIUS army recommissions the VIC VIPER super-dimensional warplane to combat the invasion of a new nemesis known as GOFER. Piloting the latest model of the VIC VIPER, players can select between multiple WEAPON MODULES and SHIELDS to tackle the varying stages and enemy attack patterns they come up against. With a total of nine stages, this perfect port of the original boasts one of the longest adventures in the series and features more of its trademark fast-paced background music to accompany the intense action.

sfog

Is that Digital Leisure Inc. as in the company behind "Space Ace" and "Dragon's Lair"?

I'm not really sure. The only other games listed on the ESRB by them are Sudoku Challenge for Wii (which could be either WiiWare or retail, I don't know which) and Hologram Time Traveler for DVD players and the PC.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I want those Tetris Party impressions, people. I have an important decision to make when I'm off from work.

although I've probably made up my mind..
:D

Tim-E

GAF I need your help. I'll have 800 points left after buying Tetris and I need to know what to spend it on. Currently, I'm leaning towards either Super Mario RPG or Secret of Mana(both games I really enjoyed when I was younger). What should I get?

Tim-E said:
GAF I need your help. I'll have 800 points left after buying Tetris and I need to know what to spend it on. Currently, I'm leaning towards either Super Mario RPG or Secret of Mana(both games I really enjoyed when I was younger). What should I get?
If your tv is hd, don't bother with SMrpg, it looks terrible today.

Top Bottom