• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Scavenger

#6. The Toxic Avenger Part II - The Toxic Avenger is one of my all-time favorite B-movies, especially due to living and growing up in New Jersey. I've held off one watching the sequels since I've heard less than good things about them over the years but I felt this was as good a time as ever to check one out. So... yeah... It's not that good. A lot of charm is lost on this sequel and besides a couple cool fight scenes and gore there isn't much to it. The story isn't anything to take note of (even in terms of being ridiculous) and it felt like they moved the plot to
Japan
just so Lloyd and the crew could take a vacation. Could have been worse I suppose. 5/10
[/SPOILER]
Toxie III is even worse than II so skip that one and watch Toxie IV. Toxie IV is almost as good as the first one.

Toxie II is actually my favorite entry of the series because it misrepresents Japan so much. I had many laughs.

5. Honeymoon

Had this recommended through Twitter, and checked it out without watching a single trailer - or really knowing a thing about it, other than the fact it was a horror film. Which I'd say is the ideal way to come into it. So I'll spoiler the rest of my analysis.

Honeymoon fills a certain interesting niche known as character-driven horror. Most scary movies see characters as disposable figures - just bodies to be ripped into shreds of gore. But a small handful are willing to take the time to develop their cast, and use the resulting connection to make the resulting events all the more chilling. Rose Leslie does a phenominal job at using her performance as a tool of the craft. Her subtle transformation is just as unsettling to watch as the later moments of genuine violence.
The film isn't flawless, though. While Leslie gives a great performance, the script itself feels weak at points - and it lacks a solid explanation to chain together every loose element.
Overall, recommended - but this is definitely only for those who can appreciate a slower pace.

6. The Pact

This is a film that has a lot of individual elements that are highly admirable & interesting - but doesn't pull it all together to make a great experience. It's well shot, and has some great simple effects that pay off in a lasting sense of panic. But the acting is flat, the story feels mostly cliche, and it loses an entire point for an absurd sequel tease. There's some interesting elements for horror fans, not much redeeming value for normal people.

NIGHT-

1. The Mist
2. They live
3. Night of the living dead
4. Gingersnaps
5. The fly remake
6. Poltergeist
7. Gremlins
8. Creepshow
9.Childs Play
10. Childs Play 2
11. Childs Play 3

12. Monkey Shines- what a strange movie... A lot of awkward scenes, but its enjoyable so far

#1 White Zombie (1932) (October 1)
#2 Zombie Strippers (2008) (October 2 - 3)
#3 Sweet Home (1989) (October 3)
#4 Cradle of Fear (2001) (October 4 - 5)
#5 I Bury the Living (1958) (October 5 - 6)
#6 The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) (October 6 - 7)

(Gotta love that cover: FEATURING JACK NICHOLSON
for about 3 to 4 minutes
. Reminded me of that Italian poster for 12 Years a Slave)

Well that was fun! Though it seemed to me that they were somewhat running out of ideas toward the end and were not too sure how to conclude it (but isn't this true for 95% of the movies that have an interesting premise?). But nothing too bad, it's still an entertaining movie. Give it a try, it's in the public domain.

Of course, the 1986 film is on my watchlist.

so I haven't been truly scared from a movie in a long time. I trust you horror afficianados can pick something for me that will do the job.

I may just be completely desensitized.

my roommate is into the more extreme violence horror and that more grosses me out than scares me.
There are many people more qualified than me to give horror movie recommendations here, but here are mine anyway:
Martyrs (2008) for your friend, Ôdishon / Audition (1999) for you.

Oct. 7

Frankmonsterfromhell.jpg

The last Hammer Frankenstein film and Peter Cushing's last portrayal as the Baron obsessed with creating life. This time the Baron has been committed to an insane asylum where he has managed to set himself up as chief surgeon by blackmailing the decidedly mad asylum director. When a brilliant young doctor is committed to the asylum for emulating the Baron's work, he joins Frankenstein in the continued pursuit of his experiments, this time combining the body of a brutish, murderous throw-back ape-man with the mind of a brilliant scientist and violinist.

This is one of my favorite films in the series, and despite the lack of a grand laboratory set, fans of Hammer's Frankenstein films will find much to like here. Most of the traditional tropes are here, there is black humour aplenty, and Dave Prowse's monster is suitably grotesque. Cushing is looking gaunt and frail (he was mourning the loss of his beloved wife at the time of the filming) but attacks the role with his usual flair. The film ends with the Baron planning his next attempt with a manic glee that demonstrates beyond doubt that the Baron is truly, finally where he belongs.

View List 2014 - The (mostly) Hammer Horror edition
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)

matt360

Movie #7: Sleepaway Camp.

Well that sure is some kind of ending. I think it tries to do some interesting things with the genre and is successful most of the time but I think some of themes and ideas were a little half-baked. Some good gore and plenty of cheese. I enjoyed it and am really glad that I managed to go into this completely blind and expecting a by the numbers '80s slasher flick. I don't think I would have liked it as much if I knew to expect some kind of twist.

Loved Sleepaway Camp. I saw it for the first time during last year's marathon and, like you, went in without any preconceived notions. For me it was the perfect ratio of camp/gore/horror. And the end just sealed the deal. Someone (perhaps in this thread?) summed it up perfectly by saying that this movie wouldn't work if it were any better or any worse.

Creepshow 2 is a bad movie.

Don't worry, Creepshow 3 makes up for it.
No it doesn't. Whatever you do, do not watch Creepshow 3. Ever.And I quite enjoyed Creepshow 2. No love for the Raft?

WoodWERD

#9 - Supernova (Netflix)

Avoid. This was categorized under Horror and sounded like an Event Horizon wannabe, but it was missing all the demonic stuff that made that one entertaining. The villain was lame and the ending was even worse.

black-zoo-movie-poster-1963-1010461847.jpg

4) Black Zoo (1963) ***1/2 (of 5) personal collection via XBMC
Though I suppose it could have used a little more mayhem, I dug this one quite a bit. An admirably simple and straightforward tale, with a big, charismatic performance from Michael Gough at its center. Aside from one
bad gorilla suit
, the interactions with the animals are well-done, and one scene in particular
(a funeral for a tiger, with the animals in attendance)
has a moving, surreal beauty. Good stuff.

Previously:
1) Night of the Big Heat (1967) **1/2
2) Theatre of Death (1967) ***
3) What Have You Done To Solange? (1972) ***

J-Roderton

#8 - Halloween (2007, Netflix)

Rob Zombie really likes his cast of psychopaths! You'll see a lot of familiar faces from The Devil's Rejects and even Danny Trejo. I thought the best parts of the movie were with young Michael, the kid was pretty damned convincing. The rest doesn't quite live up to the original for me, but overall I thought it was decent.

Gripe:
McDowell goes from getting his eyes gouged, to the side of his head smashed the next scene, to practically no blood on his face the last time we see him

I saw that too! Ha. Disappearing blood. I'm surprised that got through into the final cut.

Ridley327

WEEK TWO (Oct 7): MEDICAL ISSUES

It's not surprising that Jeffrey Combs was at the forefront of all the advertising for Re-Animator. In a career-making performance, Combs managed to take a thoroughly unpleasant human being like Herbert West and inject him with a good deal of sarcastic wit, barely contained neuroses, and an incredible amount of restraint in terms of the level of self-awareness that he had to deliver. If Combs had underplayed it even one degree less than he did, the ingredients wouldn't be able to congeal properly, leading to a performance that would have been noteworthy, but not praiseworthy. Play it one degree more, and it would have been ineffectively hammy and overcooked.

What is surprising is that despite all the advertising, Re-Animator is not the Herbert West Show that it was purported to be. While West is certainly one of the main characters (and the first one to be introduced, in the first of many gory scenes), he shares the stage with Dan Cain. Capably played by Bruce Abbot, Dan is initially the opposite of West in every way: outgoing, friendly, and perhaps a little too caring. Soon, however, West takes advantage of that when Dan accidentally drops in one of his experiments, and soon those opposing traits become the perfect compliment to West's needs. The road to hell is paved in good intentions, and in Dan's case, he laying down several miles worth.

More than just a really gory but fun horror-comedy, Re-Animator manages to find that balance between the horror and the comedy just right, like it came right out of the same mold as films like An American Werewolf in London and The Howling. Stuart Gordon toes a mighty fine line between goofy and unpleasant, often in the same scene, which keeps you on your toes throughout. Perhaps no actor in the cast is more instrumental to that than Barbara Crampton, who deserves some kind of award just for being able to come through this film OK for all the crazy shit that gets done to her. It's an edge it wouldn't have if it wasn't taking itself that seriously, nor if it was too realistic. It's the reason why From Beyond doesn't work nearly as well, as it gets a shade too unpleasant while exploring a more provocative link between sex and death in the process.

The genius of Re-Animator is that it's able to have its cake and eat it, as well. Despite the low budget being on full display with sets that do nothing to hide that fact, it's a remarkably ambitious film all the same, and it's a testament to how much in control of the tone Gordon commands that it's able to endure critically in a way that similar films botch. Often imitated, and seeing many of its derivatives before watching it, definitely never equaled.

#7 - May (2002)

Now that was one fucked up psychological horror. Well done and rather disturbing in parts, but held together by being a rather intimate character study. Highly recommended!

I love May, so its great to see someone watching it this year. It's such a great, disturbing character study. Angela Bettis really did an amazing job. I think it's still Lucky McKee's best film.

#8 - Halloween (2007, Netflix)

Rob Zombie really likes his cast of psychopaths! You'll see a lot of familiar faces from The Devil's Rejects and even Danny Trejo. I thought the best parts of the movie were with young Michael, the kid was pretty damned convincing. The rest doesn't quite live up to the original for me, but overall I thought it was decent.

Gripe:
McDowell goes from getting his eyes gouged, to the side of his head smashed the next scene, to practically no blood on his face the last time we see him

Well, he is playing Doctor Loomis. I think the character secretly has a Wolverine-esque healing factor.

#7 Street Trash (1987) 8 Oct.
It’s trash all right, the good kind of trash. The special effects are over the top and it has some very vulgar humor, like
playing catch with a dismembered penis

Street Trash is phenomenal. It's a little long, but it doesn't matter. The game of catch is so wrong, and the effects work is off the charts. It's a unique brand of trashy horror that could have only been made in the 80s.

Divius

Good stuff Ridley, Re-Animator is great indeed.

I am falling a bit behind in my posting and nearly in my viewings but I should be alright.

Ridley327

Good stuff Ridley, Re-Animator is great indeed.

I am falling a bit behind in my posting and nearly in my viewings but I should be alright.

One thing that really surprised me was the one thing it shares in common with Return of the Living Dead, and that's how much emphasis they put on how much it sucks to be resurrected. All those characters are in such an eternal pain, and I like that they don't shy away from that, which adds a kind of pathos that you would never expect to be there. By the end of Re-Animator, they do a great job of making you feel really bad about
Meg's dad
, especially since they never play that situation for laughs at all.

Actually had more fun with this one than I did 4. I just really enjoy some of the overall craziness/silliness here.

The laundry chute is probably one of my favorite set pieces in a horror/slasher film.

Halloween 6 has always been one of my favorites in the series. While the theatrical cut is a mess editing and plot wise, I've always enjoyed the atmosphere and the attempt at something different.

The Producer's Cut fixes or at least alleviates a fair amount of issues I had with the film. The editing, soundtrack, and plot are better in my opinion. I don't think I'd suggest the T-cut over the P-cut to anyone with the option of both.

While I'm not sure how I feel about the expanded ending, it's definitely better than the abrupt mess we received in the released version. I wonder where the series would've went from here if the film wasn't such a critical/commercial mess.

Michael being the father of Jamie's baby is a huge WTF moment though.

---

OP.
1. Halloween (1978)
2. The Battery
3. Halloween II (1981)
4. Annabelle
5. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
6. The Wicker Man
7. The Wicker Tree
8. Toad Road
9. Evil Dead II
10. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers

Snake

Night 7

YKtGEiy.png

[Rewatch]
The original V/H/S is a watchable film no doubt. This was my third time seeing it, and I can't say I lost patience or got bored along the way, but the flaws are clearer than ever. The framing segments are weak, and practically none of the short films are stand-out successes. The 1st is okay, 2nd forgettable, 3rd is by far the worst in the whole series, 4th's a little creepy but also a little dumb, and 5th is good but predictable.
5.5/10

110NfJk.png

[Rewatch]
V/H/S/2 improves on the original in almost every way. Almost. Sporting four instead of five shorts, quality over quantity is the goal. The framing segments are definitely improved but not particularly good. Of the constituent films, 1st is a little hokey, 2nd is alright but feels a bit too amateurish, 3rd is great, and 4th is the only one to be somewhat scary (at least the first time around). Overall it's a good experience, but, watching both V/H/S's together, I know I wanted a bit more runtime from 2.
6.7/10

obin_gam

#8 Thale
FJTa3jE.jpg

Two men find a legendary creature in a cellar. Creepyness ensues.
It was alright. Nothing really happened though...

I'd like more of these concepts please :) The scandinavian lore is so colorful and cozy I'm surprised there arent more films out there today to take advantage of the monsters we have.
We have like three in total - this, Troll Hunter and to an extent Rare Exports. COME ON NORTHERN EUROPE! MORE FAIRY TALE MONSTER MOVIES ASAP!

NIGHT-

1. The Mist
2. They live
3. Night of the living dead
4. Gingersnaps
5. The fly remake
6. Poltergeist
7. Gremlins
8. Creepshow
9.Childs Play
10. Childs Play 2
11. Childs Play 3
12. Monkey Shines

13. House on Haunted Hill (1959)

I've seen the remake several times, and always came away feeling disappointed. I finally decided to watch the original today( It's on amazon prime) and found it to be a much more enjoyable experience. While it felt very short, it had a lot of tension and suspense.

Gameboy415

1. Lifeforce (Blu-Ray)
2. Sleepaway Camp (Blu-Ray)
3. White Zombie (Netflix)
4. The Video Dead (Blu-Ray)
5. Prince of Darkness (Blu-Ray)
6. Tormented 3D (Blu-Ray)

7. Night of the Demons (Blu-Ray)

-This one was pretty campy but I enjoyed it for the most part. The special effects were decent but the acting was pretty awful, haha.

Mideon

8. The Unborn

Surprised to see Gary Oldman and Edris Elba in this. Really not scary at all. Plot made up on the spot it seems. Wouldn't watch again.

2/5

I really loved this movie when I saw it last month (And realized I've been incorrectly titling it 'In Absentia' ever since), but wtf is that picture? Totally gives the wrong idea of what the movie is gonna be like
not to mention kinda spoils a plot point of the movie

It's the cover of the movie, same as what you'd see when you select it from Netlix.

Film 9 – Mutants (DVD)

Do you want me to suffer…

IStIlGo.png

Deliciously messy French zombie movie that confounds expectations from the start. Focussing on a paramedic desperately trying to find a way to stop her recently infected lover from turning mutant, the movie is excellently acted, moving, tense and covered from head to foot in the red stuff. Zombies don’t show up in any great quantity until near the end, and the film’s tight focus on the couple’s plight makes a great change from the average genre set-up. And I say zombies, but like those fast, angry buggers in 28 Days Later, these guys don’t die, they just become infected and change.

The film dips a bit when some bad-guy humans turn up and the focus widens, but not enough to spoil things, and while the ending is fairly predictable, it’s also pretty bloody great too.

Verdict: Best zombie film I’ve seen in a long while. Highly recommended.

Halloween 6 has always been one of my favorites in the series. While the theatrical cut is a mess editing and plot wise, I've always enjoyed the atmosphere and the attempt at something different.

The Producer's Cut fixes or at least alleviates a fair amount of issues I had with the film. The editing, soundtrack, and plot are better in my opinion. I don't think I'd suggest the T-cut over the P-cut to anyone with the option of both.

While I'm not sure how I feel about the expanded ending, it's definitely better than the abrupt mess we received in the released version. I wonder where the series would've went from here if the film wasn't such a critical/commercial mess.

Michael being the father of Jamie's baby is a huge WTF moment though.

I really didn't like the Producers cut. It just ends so abruptly and leaves way too much hanging. Its a better edited film, but I actually prefer the TV version, both I thought had fairly nonsensical endings, while the PC just felt like the whole movie ran out of steam and they slapped on the crazy twise. One of the better looking Myers from all the sequels though. You go to H20 after and it featured one of the worst looking and moving Myers of all time.

Speaking of Street Trash, does anyone know exactly what the deal with the feud between the director, Jim Muro and Troma is? I know they're not very fond of him or his movie, but I couldn't find any information on why. I suspect it's just another one of their in-jokes like their fake Michael Herz, but who knows with Lloyd.

Film 9 – Mutants (DVD)

{snip}

Verdict: Best zombie film I’ve seen in a long while. Highly recommended.

That sounds awesome. It's going on my list. Just to be sure, it's this one, right? There's a couple of movies with that title.

Film 9: Hausu (1977)
Method of Viewing: Hulu Plus

48KXgIp.gif

Holy shit this movie was insane. I had certain expectations about this film and always planned to watch it so I finally did. Needless to say, it totally blew away whatever I thought this film was going to be. I thought I would expect a serious haunted house film but this was an Evil Dead-type of horror/comedy fun film that I enjoyed.

This was the last of the Criterion Collection of "scary" films.

http://www.criterion.com/films/27523-house

Oreoleo

It's the cover of the movie, same as what you'd see when you select it from Netlix.

That is.. unfortunate.

alibM56.png

That's the only cover/poster/whatever of the movie that I'm familiar with and captures the tone of the film much more accurately IMO. The image you used makes it look like a much more in your face/cheap scares/over the top kind of a movie, which is a shame cause I thought the subtlety/subdued nature of the movie was its best quality.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
13. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth: The menu screen was scarier than the movie itself. This series clearly had the potential to be some truly freaky shit, but it's been mostly ridiculous nonsense since the first one. The only redeeming quality was that I liked some of Pinhead's dialogue.

14. The Faculty: Pretty fun movie. Basically the Breakfast Club with parasitic aliens.
Did not like how smoothly they wrapped everything up. Those parasites just leaving the body with no damage done is stupid

7. Day of the Dead

I didn't like this one as much as Night or Dawn, but as James Rolfe explained, a lot of other people didn't either. I certainly appreciate the tension between the scientists and soldiers, Captain Rhodes is well written and acted as a villain, and everything seems hopeless, even more so than Dawn. In the end, I'll put it as Dawn>Night>Day. I don't plan on continuing the Dead franchise, and I'll work on whittling down my Netflix backlog tomorrow with House on Haunted Hill.

DPL2vgp.png

Don't know why this is so disliked. Sure, it's all style over substance but the original is as well. 2/3

Cabin Edition

C3NsWiK.png

Interesting enough premise with at times shoddy execution. CGI toward the end is ridicubad. 2/3

unrsJbF.png

(Short) It's like El ángel exterminador except more absurd... or less absurd. I don't even know. 3/3

fqCeD6v.png

(Short) You know what the main flaw with La cabina was? It wasn't vertical. And also it was too abstract. Who the heck understands satirical stuff like that? Nah, that's bullshit for cine-freaks. Everyone understands a gun, though. (I'm not inherently against vertical film. I think it could have interesting uses. This ain't it, though.) 1/3

MiUZPPp.jpg

06) Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) (Oct 6)

Presented by Andy Warhol, Flesh for Frankenstein was shot back-to-back with Blood for Dracula using the same crew and the principal cast (Udo Kier, Arno Juerging, Joe Dallesandro). Both films also share the same dark humor and a twisted take on the original subject matter.

Flesh for Frankenstein follows Baron Frankenstein's quest to create the perfect Serbian super-race, loyal only to him by mating his man and woman zombie creations. Unfortunately, his goals are hampered by his blind zeal for perfection and the buffoonery of his cohorts and surroundings.

As a huge fan or Re-Animator and Frankenhooker, I figured another crazy take on Frankenstein would be right up my alley, so this was really looking forward to this one. However, when I sat down to watch it I wasn't really in the right state of mind to get into it (the bane of making a strict schedule and trying to stick to it...). I had a bit of trouble getting into the movie and it hurt my enjoyment of the insanity on display.

Udo Kier gives a fantastically over the top and energetic performance as the Baron Frankenstein. There were times when I thought the veins in his neck were going to explode and his eyes were going to shoot out of his head during one of Frankenstein's many screaming fits. If the movie were a little more focused on Frankenstein's experiments and less on the supporting characters' subplots I think I would have enjoyed it more.

Everything outside of Frankenstein's lab is where things begin to drag. Arno Juerging gives an interesting, slimy performance as Otto, the Baron's assistant and seems to bask in his own bad acting, but everyone else is pretty terrible. Joe Dallesandro as the stableboy caught in the middle of the madness doesn't even attempt to hide his thick New York accent and whatever happened to Monique van Vooren as the Baroness makes her more monstrous than anything Frankenstein could stitch together. Frankenstein's children running around doing their best Pugsley and Wednesday Addams impersonation was pretty fun though, I wouldn't have minded if that was explored a little more.

Overall, watch it to see Udo's crazy-ass take on Frankenstein and try not to fall asleep while the other terrible actors are being terrible. It was probably pretty awesome seeing it in 3D back in the day though...

Pass (though I would like to revist in the future when I'm more in the mood.)

---

Iw7MPAp.jpg

07) Blood for Dracula (1974) (Oct 7)

Now Blood for Dracula seems to be considered the lesser of the two films, but I couldn't disagree more. Like The Vampire Lovers, Blood for Dracula is a little more liberal and playful with the typical vampire rules and just seems to have fun with the whole thing.

The plot follows a sickly and almost pathetic Dracula (Udo Kier), who can only drink the blood of virgins, and without sustenance he will soon be dead. Unfortunately, it seems Romania has been sucked dry (literally) so his servant Anton (Arno Juerging again) suggests they take a trip to Italy where it will be easier to find virgins among the religious families. Upon arriving in Italy, Anton weasels an invitation for the Count to stay among a formally rich family who wants the Counts' money as much as the Count wants their 4 virginal daughters' blood. Of course this being a dark comedy, the castle's handyman (Joe Dallesandro and his New York accent again) might have something to say about that virginity...

Udo Kier is again fantastic in his role. He seems to be having a blast making these and it shows. Arno Juerging is still a pretty terrible actor, but in a fun way. He's even slimier in this one than he was in Flesh. Joe Dallesandro is still pretty bad, but he doesn't stand out as much and the supporting cast is overall better than in Flesh.

It does get a little too talky with the sisters at times and might feel a little slow because of that, but once Udo was on screen again the time just flew by. I just loved how pathetic Dracula was and it was such a refreshing change of pace from all the sexy vampire movies. Hey Criterion, get this one on Blu-ray!

Recommended.

Final Viewed List (2014):
01) White Zombie (1932) (Oct 1)
02) The Vampire Lovers (1970) (Oct 2)
03) Vampyros Lesbos (1971) (Oct 3)
04) She Killed in Ecstasy (Sie tötete in Ekstase) (1971) (Oct 4)
05) All the Colors of the Dark (Tutti i colori del buio) (1972) (Oct 5)
06) Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) (Oct 6)
07) Blood for Dracula (1974) (Oct 7)

Day 8 : Dark Skies

xfxngl.jpg

I expected to be way worse, I really like this type of movies but the last few I saw were a bit shit so I´m glad this was decent enough although it´s mostly just a bunch of cliches put neatly together.
If anyone has any better suggestion in the alien abduction genre, please tell me.
Also, god job marketing team on
revealing the twist in the poster.

Day 1 - House On Haunted Hill (1959)
Day 2 - House On Haunted Hill (1999)
Day 3 - Oculus
Day 4 - Silent House

Day 5 - Cry_Wolf
Day 6 - I Am A Ghost
Day 7 - Home Movie
Day 8 - Dark Skies

I really didn't like the Producers cut. It just ends so abruptly and leaves way too much hanging. Its a better edited film, but I actually prefer the TV version, both I thought had fairly nonsensical endings, while the PC just felt like the whole movie ran out of steam and they slapped on the crazy twise. One of the better looking Myers from all the sequels though. You go to H20 after and it featured one of the worst looking and moving Myers of all time.

I can see how someone would prefer the ending sequences in the theatrical cut. For some reason it didn't really sink in after watching/at the time I posted that they added a whole chase sequence among other things to the T cut.

It would be interesting to see a fan cut that combines the best parts of both versions, especially now that they both have watchable picture quality.

The mask in 6 looked really good to me also, probably the best after the original mask used in 1/2. The actor who played Michael also did pretty good. This was the most intimidating he's been since the original for me.

Hopefully I find some entertainment out of the remaining entries haha.

harSon

Banned
I'm really behind, and I doubt I'll be on track to watch a movie a day - but that doesn't mean I won't be watching some Horror films when I have the chance.

1. Serpent and the Rainbow
I really enjoyed this film. It was definitely nice to see a throwback to the origins of the Zombie genre, and I've always considered voodoo to be an underused theme coming off the earlier days of cinema - so I was quite pleased none the less. I'm always a fan of social allegories infused within my film, as long as you're not beat over the head by it, and I thought the political backdrop of Haiti and the overthrowing of Baby Doc was appropriate. The ending was a bit too by the books for my liking though, but it's still an enjoyable film.

2. The Exorcist III
I'll just say that it has long been my favorite film in the franchise. For those looking for something like the original, you'll probably come away disappointed, but if you're a fan of psychological thrillers like I am - then you're in for a real treat. It's more of an intellectual take on the franchise, and a lot is left to the imagination - with scares coming at the hands of some masterful suspense and atmosphere. There's some wonderfully surreal scenes littered through out the film (was that Patrick Ewing with angel wings? Yes it was). The dialog is fantastic. And the performances by George Scott and Brad Dourif were so fucking good. Brad Dourif in particular gave what I consider to be one of the creepiest performances in a horror film. The ending is definitely a few notches below of the rest of the film, and it screams studio meddling - which it was... but the overall product is still excellent. It's a shame Blatty never got to create a Director's Cut.

1. Blair Witch Project

Really loved this. It was my first time watching it despite me loving found footage films. That ending scene is so good. Rough around the edges but that's to be expected for a film that was an amazing trailblazer for the genre.

8.5/10

2. The Shrine

Meh. Really by the books trying to mix in a very typical paranormal movie with an exorcism one. Plot wasn't very good and barely explained anything. Would not recommend.

3/10

3. Gone Girl

Doesn't have a lot of horror elements but in the end it left me feeling very uneasy. Someone else counted it so I am. Just a top notch movie. One of the best of the year.

9.5/10

4. Children of the Corn

Never seen this before, but it's frequently listed as a horror classic. Well, it hasn't aged well in the least bit. The idea is alright, but ends up as typical 80s camp. No idea how it spawned 8 sequels. Well yeah I do it's a horror movie.

4/10

5. You're Next

Holy shit was I surprised at this film. Putting it on, I thought it was typical Netflix horror schlock. Nah what I got was by far the best modern slasher I've ever seen. Amazing film that makes 0 apologies for what it is. Simply one of my favorite horror movies ever and a must watch. So happy I randomly picked this.

9.5/10

Snaku

Banned

#08 - The Possession (2012)

Viewed via:

This was the movie my current girlfriend and I saw on our first date, and for that the Possession will always be a special movie for me. Been a few years since that night, and I have to say that it really holds up to the positive impression I got from it opening night. I absolutely love the relationship between the father and his two daughters, and appreciate allegory for the difficulties of divorce that the filmmakers were going for. The Dybbuck box, along with the evil Abyzou in which it contains, is creepy as fuck. Full stop. I love almost every evil thing that thing does, and can't think of one scare that disappoints. And the MRI scene when Abyzou knows it can be seen...FUCK ME.

If you haven't seen this yet, please add it to your list. It's definitely worth your time.

Final Viewed List
#01 - Leprechaun Origins (2014)
#02 - Annabelle (2014)
#03 - Frankenhooker (1990)
#04 - Wrestlemaniac (2006)
#05 - Phantoms (1998)
#06 - Clownhouse (1989)
#07 - White Zombie (1932)
#08 - The Possession (2012)
#09 - The Monster Squad (1987)
#10 - Sharknado 2: The Second One (2014)

izakq

Movie #9 - V/H/S (2012) - Netflix

The one thing I hate about "found-footage" films is all the shaking, quick turning and unfocused filming that goes on and it gives me a headache. This one didn't, thankfully. So of the five tapes that are shown, the first one was alright, the second one I didn't care for, and third one I though was stupid. The fourth tape was good and probably my favorite of the bunch. Pretty interesting plot there. The fifth one was pretty good too. It does feel familiar, but while the group was escaping, I couldn't help thinking of anything but, "Now that is a scary house." The good stuff outweighs the bad here. Thumbs up.

Let The Right One In (2008)

thoroughly enjoyed this picture, albeit being more of a love story than a horror...pretty well done though as far as filmmaking goes. that
"12" year old vagina
scene was the biggest scare of all...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Don't worry, Creepshow 3 makes up for it.
No it doesn't. Whatever you do, do not watch Creepshow 3. Ever.And I quite enjoyed Creepshow 2. No love for the Raft?

No, the Raft, while slightly better than the Wooden Head section, was still lacking much of any tension, development, acting, dialogue. Just ugh.

Creepshow 1 was so much better. Creative, fun, well cast (Leslie Nielsen and Ted Danson!).

Top Bottom