• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF CREATES Contest I : Super Mario Bros. 16bit

jepense

Still two more levels to make... At least I've been testing the already finished ones as I go so there isn't that much bug hunting left. I'm actually pretty happy with some of the levels I've made (some of them are not that interesting though).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I thought I wouldn't make it for the deadline, but in the latest days I've been able to work on another level (and I almost completed my overworld)... so I might end up submitting my entry anyway.

Cyan said:
Just downloaded this and gave it a try. Really well done! Everything was exactly how I remembered it. :)
Thanks, I'm happy you liked it :)

Ventron

So can we upload entries yet?

I'm pretty OK with the progress I've made and probably should submit it before I leave my house (and this computer) for the next few months...

I'm a little worried with the difficulty of some of my levels. They aren't cheap per se like Asshole Mario but the precision requirements might be too intense in some areas of the last level. You'll probably need to be a master of the original SMW to have a chance at finishing this, and that fact might cost me first prize :lol I tried to do some 11th hour editing to make it slightly nicer to you, though :lol

My general philosophy behind level design is that they should be chaotic and random, so not only does it present a continual challenge but it is also replayable. The flip side of this approach is that the levels can sometimes be difficult and frustrating if the puzzles aren't well thought out. Some game designers tend to go for spacious and relaxing levels but for me I find those types of games boring, empty and padded. Maybe because I was raised on games like SMW. Try to always present fresh challenges to the player and if you reuse core mechanics of previous puzzles then add new twists to have something new for the player to think about. Meh, thats just what I think.

Here's one quick and crappy screengrab:

14vjrja.png

Enk

makes good threads.
That looks and sounds quite good! Go ahead and release it as soon as you can. So I can play it!

I was hoping to get Massimo out yesterday but some last minute editing/fixing popped up and probably won't be able to get mine out until late tonight or tomorrow.

Ventron

Haven't tested applying the patch yet, but it should turn out alright...

Super Mario World - Trip to Bluey's Island

Non-glitchy patch here

First level is straightforward, the rest of them I've tried to include some good kind-of-puzzle-elements in them. I've made a video walkthrough of the second level (with severe A/V out-of-sync, fuck you SNES9X) which I'll upload if anyone needs it.

As a bonus, you'll get a free separate Luigi player 2 sprite because I was too lazy to check my ROM pristine-ness after getting it, so I had to quickly search for a new ROM to make the bloody patch :lol

Feedback really wanted. Reuploading is also good if Megaupload starts extra-sucking.

Before anyone asks, to apply a patch you'll need an original US Mario World ROM and a program like Lunar IPS (Google it) to apply it.

Enk

makes good threads.
Louminater said:
I didn't make anymore after I created my first level (pics on page 4).

But I might as well throw it in, to be added into the compilation.

Green Fortress

That's unfortuante. I'll check out your level first thing when I get home tomorrow night.

_leech_ said:
I'm pretty much out, unfortunately. Why wasn't this cool shit around when I was still underemployed? :(

There's still time to throw in a level or two for the compilation! Don't throw the towel out completely just yet!

Ventron said:
Haven't tested applying the patch yet, but it should turn out alright...

Patch here (yeah yeah Megaupload sucks but that was the first site that came to mind. I'm tired, OK?)

Ah, very nice. I'll set aside some time tomorrow night and play through it. Do you mind if I take some snaps of it for the front page? I'll try to make sure they're not too spoilery.

Don't feel too bad if you think your game isn't up to par. I feel the same way about mine too. Having a time limit puts pressure on you to complete your work quickly, thus cutting some corners to get the project out on time. Had you had more time I'm sure the results would have been dramatically different. I know mine would have.

Ventron

Enk said:
Ah, very nice. I'll set aside some time tomorrow night and play through it. Do you mind if I take some snaps of it for the front page? I'll try to make sure they're not too spoilery.

Oh, please do. That would be great as I'm sure you'd be much better at taking shots than I would. Don't feel the need to ask permission from me before posting a specific shot, just take shots of whatever you think looks nice. :D

Don't feel too bad if you think your game isn't up to par. I feel the same way about mine too. Having a time limit puts pressure on you to complete your work quickly, thus cutting some corners to get the project out on time. Had you had more time I'm sure the results would have been dramatically different. I know mine would have.

Welcome to the entire software development industry, folks. :)

Enk

makes good threads.
title.gif

File link HERE

After two months straight of staring crack eyed at my monitor here is my game, Massimo Version I. I still feel it's a little rough around the edges but think its complete enough to be released. I actually really want to continue working on this, but if I do the final project will be quite different from this one.

This game was an experiment so I'll let you be the judge on how well it worked out. I tried to avoid the Mario feel and make something that expressed its personality in its own unique way.

Anyways, enough rambling here's some bullet points:

- 3 games in one. Regular Massimo, Massimo 8bit, and the (not so quite) super secret MassiBits.
- 7 areas with 25 unique stages
- 2 1/2 endings
- 2 final bosses
- New graphics not found on SMW Central
- Gradual build in difficulty.

Couple of other notes. The last area is regular Massimo is intentionally long. It's up to you as to whether or not you want to use save states. My preferred method of playing is Massimode style: 5 lives to see how far you can get with no continues.

The first person to reach Massimo's End will get a cookie :)

Also,

If you see this screen this you have found Game II:Massimo 8bit
ItsaSecrettoeveryone.jpg

And if you see this one you have found Game III:MassiBits
hmm-2.jpg

Enk

makes good threads.
Ventron, something got lost in the transfer of your patch. When I applied it it seemed to be missing your ExGFX files and maybe some other stuff. Please try to fix it quickly so I can play it tonight :)

Louminater, nice work on your level. Mildly difficult but fun and balanced. I didn't notice any glaring flaws so good job mate! I'll include in the compilation. It seems to make a nice second level for the 2nd path (hard mode) so I placed it there (unless someone can make one even more appropriate).

Has anyone gotten Enk's game to work with SNES9x?. It works in ZSNES but it would be nice to be able to play it on my PSP. Plus people who don't have an x86 machine (Mac users) won't be able to play it.

jepense

I finished mine, but I still need to play through it a couple of times before I submit. I won't try the other patches before that either.

Enk

makes good threads.
Ventron said:
I knew problems would start.

EDIT: And, Megaupload fails once again.

Go here

I played through the first three stages last night and I must say it's pretty tough, like save state tough. It's not on the level of Asshole Mario's difficulty but it could have the average gamer wanting to smash their controllers over your head. For me though that's not a negative since I enjoy difficult games. The first stage is a bit rough around the edges, but it seemed like you started to get the hang of things by the second part with the vines and Bullet Bills. The second stage is pretty ruthless with the
shell carrying. I had to go though the level first and clear out as many enemies as I could before attempting to move the shell
. That stage felt quite long and may infuriate some people, but the reward you get from it was well worth it for me.

The photo backdrops are odd looking. How were you able to port the images over like that? Every time I tried moving images over to yy-chr they came up screwy.

These moments have been my favorites so far:

Blue2.jpg

Blue1-1.jpg

This moment in particular is pure win. Great idea there! I had a lot of fun with that.

I'll be finishing up you game tonight and will let you know how I like the rest of the levels.

Cyan said:
Damn, this is tough without a controller. I don't have the same coordination I would in the real game. :/
Do you have a PS3/wired 360 controller? That's what I use to play 2d games on my PC. You could probably find a cheap PS2 to PC adapter at Radio Shack somewhere. The controller becomes a must in the later stages of the game.

nincompoop said:
Has anyone gotten Enk's game to work with SNES9x?. It works in ZSNES but it would be nice to be able to play it on my PSP. Plus people who don't have an x86 machine (Mac users) won't be able to play it.
Yeah at some point late in the development cycle the game decided it was going to stop working on the PSP. I couldn't figure out what caused it and it was too late in the game for me to start taking it apart piece by piece to figure out what the problem was. It became a bit of a burden as I used my PSP to test levels when I was editing them during my downtime at work. Sorry about that.

If anyone thinks they can fix that problem and some of the weird slowdown I would greatly appreciate it.

samratty

I'm out, just don't have the time to do it now I'm working full time plus other comitments.

I will tighten up (the graphics on level 3) the level I nearly finished and upload that at somepoint, however.

Ventron

Enk said:
I played through the first three stages last night and I must say it's pretty tough, like save state tough. It's not on the level of Asshole Mario's difficulty but it could have the average gamer wanting to smash their controllers over your head. For me though that's not a negative since I enjoy difficult games. The first stage is a bit rough around the edges, but it seemed like you started to get the hang of things by the second part with the vines and Bullet Bills.

Yeah, I didn't want to incorporate any clever puzzle elements in the first level because I wanted to make it the easiest of them all. I also didn't have as clear a vision for that level before I started making it, compared with my later levels.

The second stage is pretty ruthless with the
shell carrying. I had to go though the level first and clear out as many enemies as I could before attempting to move the shell
. That stage felt quite long and may infuriate some people, but the reward you get from it was well worth it for me.

Yeah, I had second thoughts about making that the second level but I did so because I didn't think that particular bit of the level was that long (I have a tendency to make long levels). Its also one of the reasons that I edited the lives count to 10 and make every level offer to save after finishing it.

The photo backdrops are odd looking. How were you able to port the images over like that? Every time I tried moving images over to yy-chr they came up screwy.

They came from SMWCentral. I didn't need to use YYCHR on them at all.

EDIT: You might also want to update your OP with the new link and screenshots.

Enk

makes good threads.
SuperMarioWorld_00023.jpg

I finished Bluey's Island. It definitely becomes a save state game the more you progress. I think this was mostly due to the sheer length of the levels, the high difficulty curve, unforgiving checkpoints, and the requirements for beating certain stages.

I think your two most well designed levels were Sky Speed Run and GAF Ghost House. I thought the level of difficulty in Sky Speed Run felt just right and I like the look of the stage too. That one may be my favorite stage of your bunch. My favorite moment though was your lava scene in which was really badass and I wish there was more of it.

I do have to say though that I was starting to get a bit frustrated with Cold Cavern. I ended up getting a bit lost in the level and after a while I couldn't wait to get away from the slippery physics. Great looking stage but it did become a bit tedious after sliding around for a while.

Also on the third stage,
I was originally "Whoa" a Mario Galaxy stage, and it seemed you had some neat ideas in there with the bouncing stars but it ends just as it started. You should realyl try to expand on it if you can.

All in all I did enjoy my time with your game but, as you said before, I think the difficulty will turn a lot of people off. I hope to see you expand on some of your ideas in the future. Good work!

Ventron said:
EDIT: You might also want to update your OP with the new link and screenshots.

Done!

Here's how it looks at the moment. For quick access I'll add a link to the top of the front page.

The Games!

(in order of release)

by Ventron
Mod Link

Pics:
Bluestitle.png

Blue4.jpg

Blue3.jpg

Blue1-2.jpg

Massimo
by Enk
Mod Link

Pics:
title.gif

Massi2.jpg

Massi3-1.jpg

Massi1.jpg

Bowser's Peak
by jepense
Mod Link
Pics:
Image11.gif

untitlediuyy3.jpg

untitlediuyy2.jpg

untitlediuyy.jpg

GAF Mario Contributors!

Jocchan- World 1-1
MarioWorld1-1.jpg

Louminater- Green Fortress
GreenFortress.jpg

nincompoop - Going Up
gafstuff.jpg

nincompoop - How Can He Fly
Image2-8.gif

The Judges Tally Sheet!
Judge Name (plus review link)
1st Game
2nd Game
Favorite levels:

Ventron

Enk said:
My favorite moment though was your lava scene in which was really badass and I wish there was more of it.

Evidently, you missed a secret in
the lava room of Bluey's Castle.

Also, why were the checkpoints so unforgiving? There is a limit to where the checkpoints can be put (between screen 0 and F of the first room only) but I tried to do my best to make the checkpoints seem fair.

Cold Cavern was meant to be an open world maze. It was only supposed to be two rooms but I felt that wasn't "open world" enough so I added the additional room with that platform of 5 blocks in the middle. I guess that did make it a little frustrating though :p

About that particular part of the third stage, I felt the level was long enough as it was so thats why it ended quickly. I just included it as a little easter egg.

I'm not gonna bother finishing my hack, so I'll just release the two levels I finished for the compilation. http://www.sendspace.com/file/dqic0m

When I saved the levels to a file it created 4 different files for each of them for some reason. I'm not sure if you need all the files if you want to open the level in Lunar Magic or something so I included them all to be safe. I also created an IPS patch that inserts the levels into Yoshi's Island 1 and 2. Actually I think I forgot to rename Yoshi's Island 2 on the overworld but I'm too lazy to change it now, so just know that Yoshi's Island 2 should be called GOING UP.

First level (HOW CAN HE FLY?!?!) is pretty much a puzzle level, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out but there were a couple of minor issues that I couldn't figure out how to resolve without compromising the level design. First of all, if you mess up anywhere you could end up in a situation where you can't complete the level and have to kill yourself. Problem is, if you don't know the solution you might not realize it when you get yourself into this situation. To explain the second issue I have to give away a small detail about the solution, so don't read this if you don't want to spoil anything:
at one point you have to throw a koopa shell straight up a narrow corridor, but if you're standing on certain pixels it will hit the wall of the corridor and come right back down instead. This doesn't happen TOO often to me so hopefully it won't become too big of an issue.
Also, I can see one detail of the solution as being somewhat obscure, but other than that I think the level turned out fine.

Second level (GOING UP) I don't have much to say about this level, other than expect lots of precision jumping (don't wanna give away too many details). The level is based around a pretty simple concept, but to be honest I thought it worked out better in theory than in practice. I still think it turned out pretty good, but the beginning part can be somewhat annoying depending on how good your timing is.

If anyone has any feedback or the patch doesn't work or something then let me know.

Enk

makes good threads.
GAF CREATES CONTEST I-B

Thanks to itxaka's donation I will now open up contest B. The prize is a code for 3 months of XBOX Live. The only requirements to enter are to submit a level and to have a XBOX 360. Also the due date for the compilation has been expanded to Dec. 15th. On that day I will draw a name at random the prize will be given.

Nincompoop, I cannot figure out your first level. Maybe it's because I'm slightly hung over from last night but the solution seems to be passing me by. First I figure you want me to
avoid both the mushroom and koopa, then run over to the right, take the second koopa's shell, and kill the first with it (leaving the path open). I understand that the first mushroom is needed to get the feather, but once I get the mushroom and the P-Switch I'm stuck. There not enough time for me to run over and grab the feather and make a flight out of there.

I made it out of your second stage with 2 seconds left to go. The only real qualm I have with it is the final part where you have to make a precise jump to the door. Sounds good in theory but the jump's view is obscured by the top of the screen. It makes that precision jump too difficult to make. I'll add it to the compilation with a slight alteration to the black piranha plants.

Ventron said:
Also, why were the checkpoints so unforgiving? There is a limit to where the checkpoints can be put (between screen 0 and F of the first room only) but I tried to do my best to make the checkpoints seem fair.

Looking through your levels again they do seem about right so I take back my comments on that. The big offender to me was stage 2 where the lava scene took me by surprise and I ended up somehow dying when my
time ran out before the 3rd star
. Now looking at your stage I see that you placed a midpoint right after that segment. Plus that part really wasn't that hard, just my gaming skills got stupid at that point and was a little frustrated that I had to redo the first segment all over again.

samratty said:
I'm out, just don't have the time to do it now I'm working full time plus other comitments.

I will tighten up (the graphics on level 3) the level I nearly finished and upload that at somepoint, however.
:-(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's a shame my new job really cut out all my time I was going to put into this contest, but these entries look great. Good job guys! :D

Enk said:
Nincompoop, I cannot figure out your first level. Maybe it's because I'm slightly hung over from last night but the solution seems to be passing me by. First I figure you want me to
avoid both the mushroom and koopa, then run over to the right, take the second koopa's shell, and kill the first with it (leaving the path open). I understand that the first mushroom is needed to get the feather, but once I get the mushroom and the P-Switch I'm stuck. There not enough time for me to run over and grab the feather and make a flight out of there.

Hint:
You need to figure out a way to escape from the narrow passage after collecting the mushroom. You can't just stand there and let it run into you though, because if you're too tall for the passage then the game will push you over to the left. So try thinking of another way to collect the mushroom.
Also, regarding the second level,
there's a Yoshi in the block in the top left, so you could always use him to walk over the piranha plants if you're having trouble making the last jump.

Enk

makes good threads.
I recently updated my Massimo patch to v1.1. There was a minor bug in the last secret stage of the game that could prevent you from getting to the final ending. Just apply it to another clean SMW rom and keep the file name the same and it should work with your current save states.

nincompoop said:
Hint:
You need to figure out a way to escape from the narrow passage after collecting the mushroom. You can't just stand there and let it run into you though, because if you're too tall for the passage then the game will push you over to the left. So try thinking of another way to collect the mushroom.
Also, regarding the second level,
there's a Yoshi in the block in the top left, so you could always use him to walk over the piranha plants if you're having trouble making the last jump.

Hmm... I'll try to give it another shot. About the 2nd stage, I would have gone for that question block if there wasn't too big of a risk involved.

Don't give up on it too easily. Its a puzzle level, so I don't expect anyone to figure it out on their first try! Also try reading my hint carefully, there may or may not be some hidden subtext in there :p

jepense

OK, here's mine:
The Patch

The hack only uses the in-game assets, so no extra graphics, new bosses, custom items or anything - just new levels and a new overworld. I've wanted to make the game feel like classic Mario, so, I've tried to avoid anything too annoying or obscure. Still, it should be quite challenging and there's plenty of secrets and puzzles to be found. The total number of exits is 13 or 14 (I'm not sure if the game counts completing the final level).

Hopefully there aren't too many bugs. I have completed it a couple of times, but I've also made some last minute tweaks.

Enk

makes good threads.
Another bug fix for Massimo (sorry about this). This one fixes certain levels not saving and a a few other problems that popped up. You can get the new patch HERE.

jepense said:
OK, here's mine:
The Patch

So far so good!

You have a good balance in difficulty. I've made it to the first castle and haven't had the need to use a save state yet. Your stages seem quite large and appear free of bugs at the moment. Your first castle is well designed and is kicking my ass. I love your use of blades and the handling of layer 2 in the second half. Your overworld looks quite nice and well thought out too. I will post some pics tomorrow once I get a chance. Looking forward to playing the rest!

jepense

Enk said:
You have a good balance in difficulty. I've made it to the first castle and haven't had the need to use a save state yet. Your stages seem quite large and appear free of bugs at the moment. Your first castle is well designed and is kicking my ass. I love your use of blades and the handling of layer 2 in the second half. Your overworld looks quite nice and well thought out too. I will post some pics tomorrow once I get a chance. Looking forward to playing the rest!

Thanks!
The levels are difficult in the sense that I can beat them relatively easily, but if I'm careless I will die, a lot. It's pretty difficult to judge how hard it will be for someone who doesn't know where all the hazards are... The small fortress is difficult on purpose, but it becomes much easier if you find the green switch. I'm generous with the green !-blocks.

Some of the stages are too long to pass on one go unless you can run through them, but I've tried to place the checkpoints fairly. You get to save after each stage, so there is at least some reason to avoid a "game over" as it would mean losing the checkpoint. Usually there are hidden 1-ups in the latter parts of such long stages and power-ups near the checkpoint to keep you going.

Red Scarlet

I'd guess they'd be posted by the posters making them (as they've posted some already), or maybe Enk will put them in the first post when they are complete/after judging.

Enk

makes good threads.
Red Scarlet said:
I'd guess they'd be posted by the posters making them (as they've posted some already), or maybe Enk will put them in the first post when they are complete/after judging.
All the ones released so far are in the second post (or for the lazy, in post #276 above). There's also a direct link to them at the very top of the OP.

The GAF Mario compilation won't be released until near the end of Dec. however. Feel free to contribute a level or two to that if you all want!

samratty

Enk your hack crashes a lot for me between room transistions. I'm using SNES9x.

Jepenese I like yours! The brief bit I played anyway

Enk

makes good threads.
samratty said:
Enk your hack crashes a lot for me between room transistions. I'm using SNES9x.

Jepenese I like yours! The brief bit I played anyway

At some point during the development it stopped working on my PSP and SNES9x. That seems to happen to a lot of SMW mods. Unfortunately I don't know what causes it. It works perfectly on ZSNES so you might want to try it there.

samratty

Ok I'll check it in ZSNES sometime soon.
From what I played anyway, I definitely liked it. Looks like you put a lot of work into making it unique.

Enk

makes good threads.
In my quest to beat out Sony on their contstant updates I have released Massimo V1.3. This one fixes two major bugs that managed to slip by me. One being the colors on the map and enemies changing after hitting the grey switch. The other being a freeze on the last hidden stage. Hopefully this will be the last of the bug fixes. If there's any future updates I'll make sure to include some extras to make it worth the redownload.

jepense, I'm nearing the end of your game. I've opened up the east and west paths, hit the green switch, and passed the first castle. Your game has been really fun and is pretty well thought out. You sure do know how to cut it close when it comes to the time limits. I beat both the castle and your braintwisting, moving platform stage with a couple of seconds left on the clock.

nincompoop, I finally figured out your stage
didn't think about grabbing the mushroom at the tail end and then using the feather to do a floating duck jump in between the pipes
. I will have to make a slight modification to your "heaven" section so that way there's an exit.

Enk said:
nincompoopI will have to make a slight modification to your "heaven" section so that way there's an exit.
Yeah, I kind of forgot to finish that part :p I tried putting a warp pipe on the left side to a bonus room (FD) and then changing FD to warp you back to the level on top of where you start out, but it didn't work at first so I scrapped it instead of figuring out how to make it work.

jepense

Enk said:
jepense, I'm nearing the end of your game. I've opened up the east and west paths, hit the green switch, and passed the first castle. Your game has been really fun and is pretty well thought out. You sure do know how to cut it close when it comes to the time limits. I beat both the castle and your braintwisting, moving platform stage with a couple of seconds left on the clock.
I like moving platforms... and bullet bills, as you may have noticed. :D I guess you're going to Tall, tall peak next. Personally, I think it's the weakest level in my hack, although I can't really put my finger on why I feel that way. Originally it was buggy and sometimes frustratingly difficult, but I tried to fix the issues I had with it. Maybe it's the memory of the original version that makes me dislike the level.
Anyway, the second castle should make up for it.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

samratty

From what I've played I like Jepenese the best, pure unadulterated fun. The yoshi/spring level was inventive, if quite frustrating imo.

Massimo is close second. A lot of work ahs gone into it polish wise, it's got a good sense of humour and looks great.

Got to play more to get a real full evaluation.
Good stuff tho guys.

Cyan, have you got a Wii? A bluetooth dongle and the classic controller can work. That'd be for a more authentic feeling...

If you have a six-axis or Dual-shock theres a way to get those working on Windows via USB cable

Enk

makes good threads.
Just a reminder that the deadline for the contest submissions will be ending in exactly two weeks for all those still participating. Hopefully there are still some people hiding there projects until the end since there's been a lot of dropouts. Also if you've only half completed your game and can't finish you can always submit your levels to the compilation.

Burli

Pringo
Enk, just wanted to say that I think your Massimo theme tune is fantastic!

Have you made music like that before?

Enk

makes good threads.
Burli said:
Enk, just wanted to say that I think your Massimo theme tune is fantastic!

Have you made music like that before?

Nah. I didn't make the music. I tried to learn how to port music over from midi files but there was so much to learn that I had to give up on it in order to finish my game. Thankfully there was an extensive music selection on SMW Central to choose from. I literally downloaded every single song on there and listened through every one of them. I tried to pick the ones that were both not instantly recognizable and fit the mood of the stage the best. The Massimo theme is from The Great Bath stage in the Amiga Turrican 2.

jepense

I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of interest for this project. I hope there are still people waiting for the deadline before a last minute submission...

Top Bottom