• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF CREATES Contest I : Super Mario Bros. 16bit

Enk

makes good threads.
jepense said:
I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of interest for this project. I hope there are still people waiting for the deadline before a last minute submission...

Yeah it's a little disheartening. Out of the 20+ people who exclaimed "I'm in !!!" only two had the persistence to get their games finished. I guess it was just bad timing with holidays looming. There still may be a last minute suprise though...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I didn't make it with the whole mod, but I'm submitting at least another stage. I hope you like it.

SWALLOWED!
1zbfoli.png

http://www.jocchan.com/stuff/gaf/swallowed.zip

EDIT: IPS patch added to the package.

Enk

makes good threads.
Super Mario Mini Adventure
by Enk
MOD LINK

Image13-1.gif

Image8-5.gif

Image10-3.gif

Image9-5.gif

Since the submissions seemed pretty light for this contest I was originally going to release a new version of Massimo, but it got a little too ambitious and decided to put it to the side. So for the past week and a half I spent working on this.

It's a short open world adventure game that fuses Mario with the Massimo style. The whole thing is one continuous level so there's no overworld exploration or moments where it asks you to save. So use your savestates appropriately (preferably at the beginning of each level).

There are five main areas, each one containing some sort of secret. The ending itself has some secrets too. The difficulty of this game is mildly hard and can be tougher depending on how well you search.

Hope you all enjoy!

Massimo Secrets

Since some time has passed when this was released I guess I should spill some of the secrets you all might've missed. If you haven't played it by now then you might not want to look below:

Finding GAME III: MASSIBITS

Image22.gif

Image24.gif

Image23.gif

As stated before there are three games in Massimo. The most secret of them is MassiBits. MassiBits is like a trippy trip through gaming history. There's a level inspired by text adventure games, one in the style of preNES era retro games, one from a well know C64 game, and one from an NES series. To find it just observe the screen shot below for a hint.

Image9-4.gif

Finding Game II: Massi8Bit

It's simple. Once you beat Yg go to Massimo's Home, grab the spring, grab the fire flower, toss the spring on top of the of the first hill, use it to jump to the clouds on the right, and use the fire to melt the ice blocks around the door. Now you've unlocked the entrance to the secret world.

Massi8Bit Warp

There's a way to warp to the last three levels of Massi8Bit. At the very beginning of the first stage, in the black and white area with the flame, jump off the side of the platform and grab a black berry. Now when you restart the stage you will be outside the castle walls.

Massimo Ending Secrets

Image21-1.gif

Two out of the 2 1/2 endings in Massimo have secrets in themselves. At the end of each stage there is a door that will change the time of day of that area. Watch out though, at night it can get a little dangerous.

Purpose of the big coins
There is none, why are you collecting them you fool.

Final Stage

The final stage can only be unlocked after you beat MassiBits. Just go to the Oasis and run along the switch blocks to reach the warp to the last level.

Jocchan said:
I didn't make it with the whole mod, but I'm submitting at least another stage. I hope you like it.

SWALLOWED!
1zbfoli.png

http://www.jocchan.com/stuff/gaf/swallowed.zip

EDIT: IPS patch added to the package.

Nice! I'll check it out tonight. I don't know how I'm going to handle GAF Mario though with so few levels. I may just keep the deadline open so people can continue adding levels and just release updates every so often.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Awesome stuff, Enk.

I'll try finishing another stage I was working on for the contest. It was meant as a setup for the one I just submitted, but I won't disclose how :)
Oh, and Swallowed! uses green and red switch blocks. Is the "no switch palaces" policy still valid? I used to have a nice idea for my entry, maybe it could help.

jepense

Great job, Enk! I have to give your new hack a go as well when I have the time.

Enk said:
Yeah it's a little disheartening. Out of the 20+ people who exclaimed "I'm in !!!" only two had the persistence to get their games finished. I guess it was just bad timing with holidays looming. There still may be a last minute suprise though...
So, what now? There is little point in having a contest with just two entries. At least the single stage contest has produced a few more levels so you can make some compilation.

Personally, I don't care for competing or the prizes, but I liked the concept and it's a real shame this got ignored. Even the download counts for the mods are low (about 50 for yours, 30 for ventron's and 20 for mine)...

Enk

makes good threads.
jepense said:
Great job, Enk! I have to give your new hack a go as well when I have the time.

So, what now? There is little point in having a contest with just two entries. At least the single stage contest has produced a few more levels so you can make some compilation.

Personally, I don't care for competing or the prizes, but I liked the concept and it's a real shame this got ignored. Even the download counts for the mods are low (about 50 for yours, 30 for ventron's and 20 for mine)...

Well since there was only two entries and both have different takes on the Mario formula (one focusing on difficulty and some puzzle solving, the other trying to stay true to the Mario feel) I think it's only fair that both of you are 1st place winners. So I will award both of you the $40 1st place award. I will provide more details in a PM.

The contest was only a failure depending on how you look at it. Four uniquely styled games were released and compilation levels are continuing to be made. What matters is if you had fun in creating your games. I greatly enjoyed making my games and I'm glad there is at least some people out there playing them (and hopefully enjoying them as well). I'm still going to continue working on Massimo and make it into a more fully fledged adventure, but that probably won't get finished until sometime next year.

The GAF Mario compilation will remain open so anyone can include levels whenever they like, and I will release updates to the compilation as they are added. I'm thinking about styling the overworld in the vein of SMB3. I also would love to contribute to the compilation as I've been kinda anxious to make some Mario styled levels. I'll release those over the course of this month.

As far as future GAF CREATES contests are concerned, I'm going to have to rethink how I'm going to approach the next one. It won't happen until sometime early next year when things aren't so hectic and the deadline will be greatly expanded. The next contest will be a bit more complicated than this one though. Lunar Magic is an amazing editor. It's open and fairly easy to pick up and use. Other editors from this point on will require a bit more work and research.

This is why I'm completely rethinking how I'm going to approach the next GAF CREATES. There are a lot of creative minds here in GAF and I would love to help give them that little push into contributing to their hobby and to their favorite series. A lot of people seemed interested in participating but jobs, social life, holiday gaming, and other problems got in the way. Also another problem people seemed to have is being intimidated by other works. Just try to have fun making your game and not focus so much on trying to be better than the other guy/gal.

For everyone still interested in future contests I'm always open to suggestions on how to improve on it.

jepense

Enk said:
The contest was only a failure depending on how you look at it. Four uniquely styled games were released and compilation levels are continuing to be made. What matters is if you had fun in creating your games. I greatly enjoyed making my games and I'm glad there is at least some people out there playing them (and hopefully enjoying them as well). I'm still going to continue working on Massimo and make it into a more fully fledged adventure, but that probably won't get finished until sometime next year.
I had a great time creating mine. In fact, it was probably my favorite gaming experience this year. And I agree, the contest wasn't a failure as such, but since the initial response was so enthusiastic, I had hoped for much more. Also, I was personally looking forward to the judging for more detailed feedback on my own mod.

Enk said:
The GAF Mario compilation will remain open so anyone can include levels whenever they like, and I will release updates to the compilation as they are added. I'm thinking about styling the overworld in the vein of SMB3. I also would love to contribute to the compilation as I've been kinda anxious to make some Mario styled levels. I'll release those over the course of this month.
I think that's good.

Enk said:
As far as future GAF CREATES contests are concerned, I'm going to have to rethink how I'm going to approach the next one. It won't happen until sometime early next year when things aren't so hectic and the deadline will be greatly expanded. The next contest will be a bit more complicated than this one though. Lunar Magic is an amazing editor. It's open and fairly easy to pick up and use. Other editors from this point on will require a bit more work and research.
I think many people got overambitious and gave up when they couldn't realize their vision, or saw that it took way too much time. I kept it pretty simple and still it took quite some effort to get the game finished. And as you said, this was with a very advanced editor. I suggest that for the upcoming contests involving more difficult-to-use tools, the recommended sizes of the entries should be smaller. Probably more people would have finished now, if the limit was 3-4 levels instead of 5-8.

Enk said:
This is why I'm completely rethinking how I'm going to approach the next GAF CREATES. There are a lot of creative minds here in GAF and I would love to help give them that little push into contributing to their hobby and to their favorite series. A lot of people seemed interested in participating but jobs, social life, holiday gaming, and other problems got in the way. Also another problem people seemed to have is being intimidated by other works. Just try to have fun making your game and not focus so much on trying to be better than the other guy/gal.
My advice would be to start small and expand, not to start big and get overwhelmed. I started by making the overworld which of course fixed the number of levels as well. Now, I'm very happy with the layout of my overworld, but I was struggling to get the final few levels done (won't say which were the last ones I made, though).

It was quite an educational experience as well. I actually scrapped two almost complete levels and remade them since I felt they were just plain boring. It was really painful to do, since I had already put time and effort into them, but in the end I think it made the whole much better. It did make me a bit sympathetic to games with boring filler segments though, since it really isn't easy to just get rid of them.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Too bad so few people managed to submit anything. I, for one, doubted I could make it with a whole game from the very beginning, but I tried anyways and had three levels more or less completed before noticing the deadline was too close to finish it all.

My game also featured a few nice additions I had to remove to submit single stages:
2yjsbau.png
2ziau5s.png

The second level I submitted, Swallowed!, was also supposed to feature a small boss fight with Birdo, and this got replaced with a simple hidden exit.

Speaking of it... Enk, did you try that stage? Should I finish the other one and submit it too? And what about switch palaces (see my post above)?

Enk said:
It won't happen until sometime early next year when things aren't so hectic and the deadline will be greatly expanded.
I dunno; this one might've been too long. I sort've had the feeling of a school project that wasn't due for a long time and cramming at the end... but since it wasn't really due I didn't have to force myself to cram at the end.

This isn't even a completed level, but here's a modified version of Yoshi's Island 2 I was experimenting with. I was basically trying to come up with a few assholey key sections to place in levels, but I wasn't sure where to go with those levels beyond that.

Koren

Enk said:
The GAF Mario compilation will remain open so anyone can include levels whenever they like, and I will release updates to the compilation as they are added.
Nice... I'll try to submit one ore two if I can polish them enough.

As I said Enk in PM, I was sorry that I wasn't able to enter the contest. I'm still in WIP stages. I was expected this to be a lot of work, but I wasn't expecting my job to take all my spare time, unfortunately :( Still, I had a blast messing with Lunar Magic again, so many, many thanks for the contest.

For the very same reasons, I haven't been able yet to try your works (I want to take my time and enjoy it). So I'll spare the congratulations for later, but judging just by the screens, all of you made fantastic job.

Enk

makes good threads.
jepense said:
I had a great time creating mine. In fact, it was probably my favorite gaming experience this year. And I agree, the contest wasn't a failure as such, but since the initial response was so enthusiastic, I had hoped for much more. Also, I was personally looking forward to the judging for more detailed feedback on my own mod.

Good to hear! I was also looking forward to the judging but the amount of submissions seemed so small that it seemed kinda pointless. I would still love to hear other people's feedback on the mods though.

jepense said:
I think many people got overambitious and gave up when they couldn't realize their vision, or saw that it took way too much time. I kept it pretty simple and still it took quite some effort to get the game finished. And as you said, this was with a very advanced editor. I suggest that for the upcoming contests involving more difficult-to-use tools, the recommended sizes of the entries should be smaller. Probably more people would have finished now, if the limit was 3-4 levels instead of 5-8.

I agree as well that some people seemed to get too ambitious. I suffered the same problem too as my original idea for Massimo was pretty elaborate. I'm still suprised on how much I was able to get in there before my deadline.

I still think five levels was an appropriate number. It's "learning the tools" that is the hard part. Once I got my head wrapped around Map16, the exits, sprite/BG maps, etc. I was putting out about 2 to 4 levels a week. I thought 3+ months would have been plenty of time for 5 levels.

jepense said:
My advice would be to start small and expand, not to start big and get overwhelmed. I started by making the overworld which of course fixed the number of levels as well. Now, I'm very happy with the layout of my overworld, but I was struggling to get the final few levels done (won't say which were the last ones I made, though).

Agreed. Don't think too much about the big picture and just focus on one level at a time and go from there. Again it's all about taking it easy at first and expanding your skills with each new stage. Compare my first stage, Massimo's Hole, to the Skies of Yg when I finally started to get the hang of things, and then to the last level of Massi8Bit when I started incorporating my own tricks. Just keep making levels and you will eventually get better at it.

jepense said:
It was quite an educational experience as well. I actually scrapped two almost complete levels and remade them since I felt they were just plain boring. It was really painful to do, since I had already put time and effort into them, but in the end I think it made the whole much better. It did make me a bit sympathetic to games with boring filler segments though, since it really isn't easy to just get rid of them.

It was very educational for me as well. I had to scrap and rework several of my levels too. There's still levels in the game that I think could use a lot of reworking (First section of The Wild, some of the Evil Place levels, and the
Mega Man
level). Still this isn't the first time I've worked on game editing so I guess I was a little bit more prepared than most. It is the first time to work on something as big as this so it taught me a lot about the hell developers in that era had to go through with bug testing. I'm still amazed that I was able to get nearly all the bugs squashed in my game. ZSNES's screenshot function became my best friend during that time

Jocchan said:
Too bad so few people managed to submit anything. I, for one, doubted I could make it with a whole game from the very beginning, but I tried anyways and had three levels more or less completed before noticing the deadline was too close to finish it all.

My game also featured a few nice additions I had to remove to submit single stages:
2yjsbau.png
2ziau5s.png

The second level I submitted, Swallowed!, was also supposed to feature a small boss fight with Birdo, and this got replaced with a simple hidden exit.

Speaking of it... Enk, did you try that stage? Should I finish the other one and submit it too? And what about switch palaces (see my post above)?

Yes I did try your stage and it was quite fun. Pretty easy going (not a bad thing) but is made up for by the back tracking puzzle at the end. I thought the fish stuck in the lava was a little funny (that was intentional right?) and I may go in a fix a couple of the rough corners where your slopes meet the water. I didn't notice anything broken off the bat and the maze was fairly well thought out. I think it will make a good early maze stage. Also what is with the ? block stuck in the pipes at the end of the second exit? Is there a way to get to that or is it just for teasing?

As far as switch palaces go, unless you have some ideas on how to approach it I was hoping to just keep the editing as clean and simple as possible. I may down the road incorporate the switch blocks but I have to make sure it's in a way that it works well with other people's levels if they decide to include them.

I will however be expanding some of the tools everyone can work with later this week. I won't say how exactly, but hopefully it will be in a way that more people can be able to contribute levels.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I dunno; this one might've been too long. I sort've had the feeling of a school project that wasn't due for a long time and cramming at the end... but since it wasn't really due I didn't have to force myself to cram at the end.

This isn't even a completed level, but here's a modified version of Yoshi's Island 2 I was experimenting with. I was basically trying to come up with a few assholey key sections to place in levels, but I wasn't sure where to go with those levels beyond that.

Had the deadline been even shorter I think I might've been the only one making a game. :lol I don't want people to feel frustrated when making their games. The best results come with time where you can fully realize your ideas. If you wait until the last minute, then yes, it will feel like cramming for a school exam.

Thank you for submitting a level too! I'll give it a go tonight.

Koren said:
Nice... I'll try to submit one ore two if I can polish them enough.

As I said Enk in PM, I was sorry that I wasn't able to enter the contest. I'm still in WIP stages. I was expected this to be a lot of work, but I wasn't expecting my job to take all my spare time, unfortunately :( Still, I had a blast messing with Lunar Magic again, so many, many thanks for the contest.

For the very same reasons, I haven't been able yet to try your works (I want to take my time and enjoy it). So I'll spare the congratulations for later, but judging just by the screens, all of you made fantastic job.

Keep going at it if you still want to finish your game. Even though the contest is over I'll still give your game the front page teatment (and this goes the same for everyone else too). You sounded like you were trying to put your all into your project so I hope to see what the final version looks like.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Enk said:
Yes I did try your stage and it was quite fun. Pretty easy going (not a bad thing) but is made up for by the back tracking puzzle at the end. I thought the fish stuck in the lava was a little funny (that was intentional right?) and I may go in a fix a couple of the rough corners where your slopes meet the water. I didn't notice anything broken off the bat and the maze was fairly well thought out. I think it will make a good early maze stage. Also what is with the ? block stuck in the pipes at the end of the second exit? Is there a way to get to that or is it just for teasing?
Yes, the fish stuck in the lava was intentional (I wanted to check what happened and found it funny, so I kept it), and so was the unreachable ? block (it's a hidden Easter Egg if you look at the whole picture, so I won't spoil its meaning).
Just one question for those who tried the level: just by playing it without knowing, was the setting (meaning what was the "cave" you're exploring meant to represent) obvious on first sight?

Enk said:
As far as switch palaces go, unless you have some ideas on how to approach it I was hoping to just keep the editing as clean and simple as possible. I may down the road incorporate the switch blocks but I have to make sure it's in a way that it works well with other people's levels if they decide to include them.
My idea was using one single switch palace for all four switches, designing it so you have to visit it multiple times. Every time you do, the pathway to the previous switch is blocked and a new one opens... all thanks to the new ! blocks you activate.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm sorry, Enk. I really wanted to participate, but a bunch of issues regarding my comp, combined with stress at work, lack of sleep/free time, and the realization that making games is actually fuggin HARD, all contributed to the lack of initiative.

Time to put this whole ordeal on the backburner with my other failed personal projects, such as the gaming website I wanted to create, and my blockbuster Hollywood screenplay.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I ran out of free time. I have a half completed level with some neat ideas... I'll try to polish it up and send it your way.

The only problem is that I tweaked it to make it a better, more SMB3-ish game. Sigh... won't be the same without the Leaf. :(

Enk

makes good threads.
GAF MARIO COMPILATION UPDATE

Classic Mario Graphics Patch Link (with 4 bonus levels!)

Can't think of a complex level or a mind boggling puzzle but still want to make a level for the compilation? Well here's my solution for you. I figured I'd devote an area to the compilation to classic style Mario levels. The requirements are as follows:

-No vertical scrolling
-Time limit 200-300 secs
-No cape
-Puzzle lite (or no puzzles at all)
-Single exit
-No Yoshi
-No Yoshi coins

Basically look at the level designs in the original Super Mario Bros. and you'd get the idea. To help I have made a graphics map patch with premade tiles just for you. There are two sets of tiles. Just apply the patch to a clean SMW file and open it in Lunar Magic. Even better I have also provided 4 levels already premade so you don't have to mess too much with the settings and to get a better idea on how the tiles are set up (levels 103, 105, 106, and 107).

To find the map tiles just open the "Add Objects Window" go to the "Direct MAP16 Access" category, and the tiles are under x300 and x400. The sets are foreground tiles from the first stages of Mario 1 and 2. Enemies have the classic look, blocks are smashable, and background trees are climeable. Feel free to change the palettes if you want. These are just there to help add more options and make things more accessible. You don't have to use these if you want.

This will be the first of several graphics patches for the complation. If you have any recommendations let me know.

Image5-7.gif
Image6-6.gif

Image7-6.gif

Image4-6.gif

DavidDayton said:
I ran out of free time. I have a half completed level with some neat ideas... I'll try to polish it up and send it your way.

The only problem is that I tweaked it to make it a better, more SMB3-ish game. Sigh... won't be the same without the Leaf. :(

If you can, try to release the level alongside the Racoon Mario one. I would love to see what you were able to do with that.

perfectchaos007 said:
What kind of player do i need to run the game?

The ZSNES emulator is the preferred choice as some games, like mine, won't work on SNES9x or PSP.

Enk said:
GAF MARIO COMPILATION UPDATE

Classic Mario Graphics Patch Link (with 4 bonus levels!)

Can't think of a complex level or a mind boggling puzzle but still want to make a level for the compilation? Well here's my solution for you. I figured I'd devote an area to the compilation to classic style Mario levels. The requirements are as follows:

-No vertical scrolling
-Time limit 200-300 secs
-No cape
-Puzzle lite (or no puzzles at all)
-Single exit
-No Yoshi
-No Yoshi coins

Basically look at the level designs in the original Super Mario Bros. and you'd get the idea. To help I have made a graphics map patch with premade tiles just for you. There are two sets of tiles. Just apply the patch to a clean SMW file and open it in Lunar Magic. Even better I have also provided 4 levels already premade so you don't have to mess too much with the settings and to get a better idea on how the tiles are set up (levels 103, 105, 106, and 107).

To find the map tiles just open the "Add Objects Window" go to the "Direct MAP16 Access" category, and the tiles are under x300 and x400. The sets are foreground tiles from the first stages of Mario 1 and 2. Enemies have the classic look, blocks are smashable, and background trees are climeable. Feel free to change the palettes if you want. These are just there to help add more options and make things more accessible. You don't have to use these if you want.

This will be the first of several graphics patches for the complation. If you have any recommendations let me know.

Image5-7.gif
Image6-6.gif

Image7-6.gif

Image4-6.gif

If you can, try to release the level alongside the Racoon Mario one. I would love to see what you were able to do with that.

The ZSNES emulator is the preferred choice as some games, like mine, won't work on SNES9x or PSP.

I just want to play it on my PC. I don't emulate on any of my consoles. can you give me a link to an emulator I can run on my PC please? thanks.

Enk

makes good threads.
perfectchaos007 said:
I just want to play it on my PC. I don't emulate on any of my consoles. can you give me a link to an emulator I can run on my PC please? thanks.

Here is a link to ZSNES's homepage.

ZSNES

I'd have participated for sure if I could have set up the damn editor. Maybe the next contest should be done with more accessible tools. :\

the mods probably killed it with the sticky

I don't know what your particular problem was, but I don't think there are many game editors as full-featured and user-friendly as Lunar Magic.

Enk

makes good threads.
Jocchan said:
Just one question for those who tried the level: just by playing it without knowing, was the setting (meaning what was the "cave" you're exploring meant to represent) obvious on first sight?

At first I didn't think about it but when I was taking a picture of your stage I noticed it.

And now I can't unsee it. :-(

Jocchan said:
My idea was using one single switch palace for all four switches, designing it so you have to visit it multiple times. Every time you do, the pathway to the previous switch is blocked and a new one opens... all thanks to the new ! blocks you activate.

It's a good idea in theory but could lead to a problem when you beat the stage and Mario starts tossing out blocks. The way the game is set up could cause Mario to just toss out the same color blocks each time he hits a switch.

JoshuaJSlone said:

I gave this level a try the other day. I don't think I can add it to the collection since the only thing that has changed in the stage was that one brief part. If you can rework more of the stage then I'll consider adding it.

I should be releasing the first version of GAF Mario sometime next week once I get back into town. In the meantime I've made some 1280x720 wallpapers from Lunar Magic. Doing all these screen shots have made me curious as to what Mario and Massimo would look like in widescreen. So I made some mock up screens and thought I'd share.

I've started plays of most of the completed games, but on none did I get very far. Massimo I eventually reached a point where I couldn't figure out what to do next. Trip to Bluey's and Bowser's Peak just plain throw much more at you than anything in the original game. :lol Figure out how to get past one part, and be met with a Bullet Bill in the face.

Enk

makes good threads.
Sorry it's taking so long with the GAF Compilation. As soon as I got back from my vacation my car and computer decided to break down. The world map and all the levels are set in place I just need to do some bug testing and adding a few additional details.

The release will just contain all the levels made so far including the 4 classic style Mario levels I made. In future releases I will leave those levels open so you can move on to the newer levels without having to replay the old ones. Hopefully i can have it done and finished soon.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I've started plays of most of the completed games, but on none did I get very far. Massimo I eventually reached a point where I couldn't figure out what to do next. Trip to Bluey's and Bowser's Peak just plain throw much more at you than anything in the original game. :lol Figure out how to get past one part, and be met with a Bullet Bill in the face.

At which part are you stuck at? If you need some help here's a quickie Massimo FAQ:

Where do I go after beating Blue Hills on Fu Island?

Go to Massi's home back in the very first stage and grab the mushroom. After that go to The Wild and spin jump on the cracked bridge.

Where's the feather?

There's a hidden jump block on the back of the 2nd baby turtle in Yg. Once you get the feather go all the way to the right of the stage and float to the clouds. Grab the switch and use it on the back of the big turtle.

The cloud stage is too hard!

Each time you enter the door at the beginning the stage gets easier.

Where's the flower?

Go back to Massi's home and grab the spring. Use it on the first little bush you to your right and the flower box will be there.

I am stuck on the 4th stage of that evil place.

You can climb the pillars

I'm now stuck on the 6th stage of that evil place!

You can climb the walls.

Where is Massi8bit?

Make sure you have the flower and spring and in Massi's homeland use the spring on top of the hill with the two thin pipes and vines next to it. There are some cloud to the right with some frozen blocks you can destroy with the fire flower.

Where is MassiBits?

It's on top of the biggest blue hill near the beginning of the 3rd stage in Massi8bit.

How do I get out of the C64 Ready screen?

Go right and run through the wall.

MassiBits and Massi8Bits don't have much in the way of checkpoints. What were you thinking!!!

Use savestates at the beginning of each stage if you like or do a one man run through if you're man enough.

Any other little tidbits?

You can climb any tree that you're in front of in Massi8bit.
There is a hidden area at the end of the 2nd stage in Massi8bit.
The endings are secret stages in themselves.
Don't get distracted by the pretty flowers or the grue might get you!
It's easier sometimes to jump on a bouncing ball than to run under it.
You can run along the pipe in the first stage of The Wild.

Enk

makes good threads.
Cyan said:
Massimo- beat the first two levels, have no idea what to do now. There seem to be two or three levels I can access, but I can't do anything in any of them. Kind of lost patience with trying to figure out what to do next, so I moved on to...

Look at the post right above yours for a FAQ. I hope you try to play through it as much as possible. I feel my early levels are my weakest as I was still learning the ropes, and would love to hear some comments on the two hidden games. Good to actually be hearing some opinions though. :)

Cyan said:
Bowser's Peak- this is more like what I was expecting. Quite challenging, but reasonably so. As yet (mid-point of the fortress level) I haven't had to use any save states. My favorite of the bunch.
Agreed. I think he found a good balance in difficulty in this one. Also try to find the hidden stages as they are pretty fun too.

Enk

makes good threads.
I was working on it and had all the levels put together but nobody submitted anything other than the few we had. Once I finally get GAF Creates II together (which is coming very soonish) I'll release the compilation so more people will take notice of it. Hopefully on the next contest more people will be willing to participate since I'll be trying to make it more accessible.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I may be devoting a bit of my time back into this editor later. I'm sorry I didn't really take a shot at the contest, but I was very busy. :D

Enk

makes good threads.
EvilMario said:
I may be devoting a bit of my time back into this editor later. I'm sorry I didn't really take a shot at the contest, but I was very busy. :D

You still have another chance! The new contest will be coming up this month and using Lunar will be allowed! The new contest's approach will be more "open" this time so that way more people can join in.

Also I didn't realize until recently that Massimo was taken off of FileFront. I reuploaded it along with Mario's Mini Adventure too for those who haven't had the chance to play it yet.

http://www.filefront.com/14212685/Massimo.zip

Oblivion

Sorry to bump this, but quick question. I just made a few levels in Lunar Magic. How do I place my new levels inside the SMW rom?

Enk

makes good threads.
Depends on what the problem is. The levels should already be on the rom once you save it. Have you gone into the overworld map editor and changed the level number to the level you edited?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'm so sad almost no one played my level, Swallowed :(
Its name was meant to give it away, but it was basically set inside the digestive system of some giant creature. I thought the idea was neat, but no one apparently noticed or bothered to post about it :(

Oblivion

Enk said:
Depends on what the problem is. The levels should already be on the rom once you save it. Have you gone into the overworld map editor and changed the level number to the level you edited?

No, I haven't tried it yet because I have to find my game controller first. :/

And no, I haven't changed the level number. Do I have to? (still learning dis thang)

Enk

makes good threads.
Oblivion said:
No, I haven't tried it yet because I have to find my game controller first. :/

And no, I haven't changed the level number. Do I have to? (still learning dis thang)

Depends on stage you edited. If you look on the bottom left of the editor it should tell you the stage that you are editing (ex. level 105 aka the first stage).

Click the overworld editor button (the castle looking thing), then click on the Layer 1 16x16 button (the house one), then select one of the stage dots on Yoshi's Island that you want your level associated with, then click the Open "Modify Level Tile Settings" (the yellow dot), then change the level accoringly. After that save your map and your level then test it out!

Jocchan said:
I'm so sad almost no one played my level, Swallowed :(
Its name was meant to give it away, but it was basically set inside the digestive system of some giant creature. I thought the idea was neat, but no one apparently noticed or bothered to post about it :(

Yeah it's disappointing that there wasn't much in the way of participation in both creating levels and providing feedback. Hopefully the next GAF Creates will garner more interest since it's a more "open" idea and am eliminating the deadline somewhat.

Enk

makes good threads.
Afters many years of silence, Lunar Magic has received an update! Mostly it's a lot of bug fixes, but apparently it now has the ability to display custom sprites.

You can grab version 1.64 HERE

Here's a list of fixes/changes:

Version 1.64 September 24, 2009 (9 year Anniversary of Lunar Magic!)

-fixed a memory leak with sprites that exists in all prior versions
of LM
-fixed an issue where if you used entry 0x1F in the Extended
Animation Frames list and saved to the ROM or a mwl file, LM would
save the data but upon reopening the level it would not read anything
from the list at all. Thanks goes out to Jimmy52905 for discovering
this.
-fixed a problem with mouse gestures where holding down the right
mouse button inside the editor window and then left clicking outside
it would cause LM to crash. Thanks goes out to crushawake for
finding this.
-adjusted a slope object in LM to emulate a game bug that causes the
slope to break up on screen boundaries in some cases. Thanks goes
out to Alex99 for noticing this.
-fixed the "view screen exits" toolbar button so it doesn't stay
pressed if you switch to view screen or sub-screen boundaries, as
reported by Maxx.
-corrected tileset info for Thwomp and Thwimp, reported by Noobish
Noobsicle.
-fixed the animation of the wave tile in the overworld editor so it
moves in the correct direction. Thanks goes out to Sukasa for
finding this.
-fixed loading an unmodified title screen in the overworld editor
when it's from an 8 MB ExLoROM game.
-fixed an issue in the overworld editor where if LM ever had to
report an error while reloading the overworld and tile animation
was turned on, LM would start spawning multiple message boxes.
Thanks goes out to Obsidian for reporting this.
-updated the overworld palette editor so that alt-right click does a
gradient instead of ctrl-right click, as in the level palette
editor. Should have been done in version 1.63.
-fixed overworld exit tile 0x4D so it can connect directly to a
level tile without malfunctioning, which the original game doesn't
allow... I think Nintendo originally set it up as a corner path
tile and didn't completely convert it when they decided to use it as
an exit tile.
-added a new method to the overworld editor for linking
star/pipe/exit tiles together with fewer steps using alt-left click.
-added an option to the overworld editor that allows turning off level
24's redirection of exits based on coins and time.
-added a setting to the overworld editor that can change the one level
used to activate a secret exit when beating a boss, which was used by
the Big Boo Boss.
-fixed sprite interaction with custom block ASM in vertical levels. I
actually fixed this years ago and temporarily released the fix as a
patch, intending to later integrate it into LM for version 1.62. But
mysteriously the fix never made it into the program... I suspect I
was waiting till I had time to check/adjust the fix for the Japanese
ROM as well, and forgot about it.
-implemented the "Mario touched top corner of block", "Mario within
block (body)", and "Mario within block (head)" custom block ASM
hooks. Two of these were used in a few of DW:TLC's blocks. Should
of been done before, but likely wasn't for the same reason as the
sprite fix.
-adjusted the 16x16 program icon for WinXP, since apparently XP has
something against using 16 color icons at times.
-fixed mwl file association for Windows Vista, which should also fix
it for non-administrator accounts on Win2k and up.
-file types mw0, mw1, mw2, and mw3 are no longer associated with
Lunar Magic, as the program hasn't used those for saving levels
since 2003. Note that this does not affect LM's ability to open
levels saved in the older format.
-added a feature that allows LM to add a copier header to the ROM for
you if it's missing, plus an option to do it silently.
-added exporting/importing palettes in YY-CHR .pal format.
-added a feature that allows LM to display custom tooltips and sprite
tile arrangements for custom sprites based on the extra info bits
(as done by a 3rd party ASM hack). Also added an option to turn
this off. Check the help file for more info.
-added an extra category to the "Add Sprites" window called "Custom
Collections of Sprites", which uses external files to allow custom
sprites to be added a little more easily than using the "insert
manual" command. See the help file for more information.
-enlarged the area used for LM's internal sprite Map16 data, and split
it up into 2 separate files so custom sprites can use their own file.
Check the help file for more information.
-replaced Lunar Magic's old code for handling RATs with a modified
version of the code in Lunar Compress. This removes the limitation
LM had about not honoring RATs that existed in a different LoROM bank
than the data being protected, and also lets LM use the full size
allowed by the RAT format.
-The FG Map16 data will now be protected by a RAT when saved, to make
it easier for third party programs to avoid this data.
-converted LM's help file into a compiled HTML help file, as Microsoft
is phasing out the old WinHelp system.
-thanks goes out to Smallhacker for gathering suggestions and bug
info.

Top Bottom