• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Chaos17

Thanks, I'm glad we could talk and I could explain my POV without fighting and etc.

zlCfzSkoHN8zwOzSmj

I know, you can buy the base game and not the DLC!
So it's same like voting with your wallet : you like game but not DLC.
Just kidding and you're welcome~

So I'll be playing the game tomorrow whenever it downloads on my 3ds.

For those that have been playing for a while now, any tips you can give? Aka what work/class to start doing first, is the dlc worth it, etc...

Is the NA version getting DLC or does it come packaged? I'm assuming it's DLC.
The DLC is predicted to cost $7.99 and it basically is packaged in but you'll have to pay to unlock it.
So I'll be playing the game tomorrow whenever it downloads on my 3ds.

For those that have been playing for a while now, any tips you can give? Aka what work/class to start doing first, is the dlc worth it, etc...
Check my OP where I've linked a hints and tips from reddit, as to whether the DLC's worth it I'll let the others tell you, I'm not far enough that I'm at Origin Island XD

The DLC is predicted to cost $7.99 and it basically is packaged in but you'll have to pay to unlock it.

Check my OP where I've linked a hints and tips from reddit, as to whether the DLC's worth it I'll let the others tell you, I'm not far enough that I'm at Origin Island XD

Thanks for the heads up, went ahead and read everything that wasn't spoilered (for now). Guess I'll have to see what they mean by "chosen life" and the other ones, as my understanding was that you could choose any life and level them all up, but maybe it's a situation where if you level a lot of them up you can't max them out easily.

RangerBAD

I was hoping it was available on the cart, but since I don't have an NNID I guess I'll be passing.

Thanks for the heads up, went ahead and read everything that wasn't spoilered (for now). Guess I'll have to see what they mean by "chosen life" and the other ones, as my understanding was that you could choose any life.
Yep you can pretty much change your life whenever you want except within the tutorial mission in each life and unfortunately when you are playing online =(
I was hoping it was available on the cart, but since I don't have an NNID I guess I'll be passing.
It is on the cart though, the block size for what you have to download is 2 blocks so basically you're unlocking the DLC from a paywall =/ but I think you don't need a NNID to download it just gotta have money but not too sure on that.

daydream

Banned
Thanks for the heads up, went ahead and read everything that wasn't spoilered (for now). Guess I'll have to see what they mean by "chosen life" and the other ones, as my understanding was that you could choose any life and level them all up, but maybe it's a situation where if you level a lot of them up you can't max them out easily.

It means you should at least spend some brief time with the gathering jobs early on because you will have those skills to farm resources while exploring with a different class (one of the combat classes, for example). So if you start out as a mage, you can do mage stuff and fight your way through new areas. But if you do woodcutter first and then mage, then you can fight and take care of trees you encounter since your woodcutting ability persists regardless of your current life (same for the other gathering jobs). You can switch between lives whenever.

Yep you can pretty much change your life whenever you want except within the tutorial mission in each life and unfortunately when you are playing online =(

It is on the cart though, the block size for what you have to download is 2 blocks so basically you're unlocking the DLC from a paywall =/ but I think you don't need a NNID to download it just gotta have money but not too sure on that.

It means you should at least spend some brief time with the gathering jobs early on because you will have those skills to farm resources while exploring with a different class (one of the combat classes, for example). You can switch between lives whenever.

Thanks for the clarification, and will do. I'll be joining you guys starting tomorrow, been looking forward to this game for a while now.

Kater

Banned
I have got a little bit of a problem (again). I am not able to find
Noelia
at the the usual place you would recruit her
(Divinus Garden, at the garden tables)
. I started the Orgin Island DLC and I last saw her at
the door in the Storage Room

Doombear

Ha, how funny. The one and only time I have had a game show up early from Amazon, it is a game that I need/want to wait until midnight for the DLC. Either way, I am excited to finally have the game in my hands!

Darkgran

Well my streak of NOT getting a game early continues. They had it at Target. Got to the cashier..Do not sell until 10-24-2014. UGH!!!

Grizzo

The reviews for this game were pretty good in France... I don't know what's wrong with GameSpot and GameInformer

Though if they've only played through the main quest... I can't say they're wrong... since the main quest is 80% of dialogs, 15% of travels and 5% of fights. It really is such a bore.

But the game has so much more to offer than that!

daydream

Banned
The reviews for this game were pretty good in France... I don't know what's wrong with GameSpot and GameInformer

Though if they've only played through the main quest... I can't say they're wrong... since the main quest is 80% of dialogs, 15% of travels and 5% of fights. It really is such a bore.

If the game's not a big console release, the usual goal is to get the reviewing process over with as soon as possible. The rule of thumb for that is once the story is finished and the credits roll, the review can be written and the game shelved. It's doing this game a huge disservice but it is what it is. Edit: nm

I have got a little bit of a problem (again). I am not able to find
Noelia
at the the usual place you would recruit her
(Divinus Garden, at the garden tables)
. I started the Orgin Island DLC and I last saw her at
the door in the Storage Room

Do you need her for something?

She might be near the
north of the Central Grassland

Kater

Banned
Do you need her for something?

She might be near the
north of the Central Grassland
She's just a really skilled Magician is all, which is good to have for a varied fighters group. And also, I thought it might be some sort of issue with the game and feared that she vanished completely.

Agreed. 😩

KiTA

Gamestop wouldn't break street date. Eh, I wanted it via eShop anyway.

Speaking of such -- when is this going live on the eShop? Tomorrow at noon EST?

Grizzo

If the game's not a big console release, the usual goal is to get the reviewing process over with as soon as possible. The rule of thumb for that is once the story is finished and the credits roll, the review can be written and the game shelved. It's doing this game a huge disservice but it is what it is. Edit: nm

What did you edit out of your post? I'm curious :D

But still, the reviews in Europe have been better than that so that's weird :(

daydream

Banned
What did you edit out of your post? I'm curious :D

But still, the reviews in Europe have been better than that so that's weird :(

Hm yeah, smaller sites were maybe able to dedicate more time to it? Not sure.

My edit was a remark about the irrelevance of game reviews. :p

Grizzo

Hm yeah, smaller sites were maybe able to dedicate more time to it? Not sure.

My edit was a remark about the irrelevance of game reviews. :p

Jeuxvideo.com is the biggest gaming related website in France (pretty huge, actually) and they gave it 17/20!

But you're right that it doesn't matter anyway. The game is pretty great in my eyes and that's what counts the most!

My copy hasn't shipped yet. O_O

If I don't get it in the mail tomorrow, I'm definitely buying a second copy. My roommate already said he'd buy the extra one off of me. :D

BooJoh

I searched around the topic a bit and saw mixed messages and speculation. Can someone confirm for me whether or not a player who bought the DLC can play online with a player who didn't, assuming the DLC player hasn't reached the post-game yet?

I searched around the topic a bit and saw mixed messages and speculation. Can someone confirm for me whether or not a player who bought the DLC can play online with a player who didn't, assuming the DLC player hasn't reached the post-game yet?

If you own the DLC you cannot play multiplayer or Streetpass anyone without it at all.

I'd assume this is stemming predominantly from the extra facial customization features the DLC offers that aren't available otherwise.

If you own the DLC you cannot play multiplayer or Streetpass anyone without it at all.

I'd assume this is stemming predominantly from the extra facial customization features the DLC offers that aren't available otherwise.

Multiplayer is a no-no, but StreetPass is fine.

The DLC is already in the cartridge, so there's no issues about content being available or not.

For StreetPass, you can't receive DLC items, but you can receive divine-quality (a DLC only feature) non-DLC items.

For Multiplayer, I guess Nintendo/Level 5 didn't want non-DLC players to access DLC areas/content without paying extra.

BooJoh

Multiplayer is a no-no, but StreetPass is fine.

The DLC is already in the cartridge, so there's no issues about content being available or not.

For StreetPass, you can't receive DLC items, but you can receive divine-quality (a DLC only feature) non-DLC items.

For Multiplayer, I guess Nintendo/Level 5 didn't want non-DLC players to access DLC areas/content without paying extra.

Thanks, what about the cross-game communications and notifications when you're both playing solo?

Really? That'd be fantastic if so! I was just echoing what I read in the OP that it was locked off between DLC users/non-users.

Aha, I see. That part needs to be edited, although I guess we could wait until the North American version comes out to see if it's still the case.

Yeah, I have the DLC and I successfully StreetPassed a bunch of people without DLC, including my sister and my other 3DS : P

EDIT

Thanks, what about the cross-game communications and notifications when you're both playing solo?

Are you referring to Link Mode? I haven't used it, but I've heard the notifcations work fine.

So if you don't have the DLC, but your friend does, you will still see messages like "[your friend] reached God Rank".

BooJoh

Are you referring to Link Mode? I haven't used it, but I've heard the notifcations work fine.

So if you don't have the DLC, but your friend does, you will still see messages like "[your friend] reached God Rank".

That's cool. I know I'll probably spend 90% of my time playing solo so at least those features won't rely on who has or hasn't bought the DLC. I'm personally sold on it but I'm not going to try to guilt friends into buying DLC.

Tendo

My wife loves animal crossing. Thinking of surprising her with this. Similar enough that she may dig it? She loved collecting all the furniture and items in ac. Will this hit that nerve?

My wife loves animal crossing. Thinking of surprising her with this. Similar enough that she may dig it? She loved collecting all the furniture and items in ac. Will this hit that nerve?

I always call it 'Rune Factory with MMO trappings' and when I say MMO, I specifically think of PSO so.. I think both sides are right in a way. I certainly wouldn't object if someone called it a hunting game, I personally wouldn't simplify it like that.

Anyway, it's more important to not let this game be accused of being Animal Crossing!

Less AC, More Rune Factory. (Crafting, clothes, dungeons, monsters, etc.)
They're both cute games but Fantasy Life is a whole different beast.

My American copy of the game arrived today! (Thanks Amazon!)
It also let me buy the DLC right now, and it cost $8.99.
Hmm, a biT higher than expect, but not the end of the world.

Also, I give up, I'm going to bed, will download the game tomorrow. (it's not like I'll spend the dawn playing it anyway)

Zing

Banned
Perfect example of misinformation here.

Reports from people who actually own the game say you can streetpass with everyone, regardless of their DLC status. You simply cannot receive "gifts" that are DLC-only items.

*edit* I see this has already been taken care of.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Ready to download this in a few hours :) hopefully I can get this last goddamn hat I need in Smash before then

Top Bottom