• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Still need to find more buyers for those candy cabs I linked above to avoid them getting crushed D: Anyone interested should contact me immediately!

First and only repost of this, sorry. Last call on these; there currently aren't enough people interested to avoid these being crushed instead of shipped to good homes :/

An arcade distributor I work with has 7 New Net City candy cabinets that need to be sold ASAP. They are $700 each including shipping from Japan and customs, but the buyer is responsible for domestic delivery. All machines will be located near Sacramento, California, and the buyer can either pick up or opt for shipping. They are all in good, working order but the type of panel that will be included cannot be guaranteed other than that they are not mahjong panels. Some have genuine NNC panels, others are using Net City panels.

Sh2WANE.jpg

More images here.

japtor

Still need to find more buyers for those candy cabs I linked above to avoid them getting crushed D: Anyone interested should contact me immediately!
Man if I were near there I might pick one up. Have you hit it up other forums? Off the top of my head I'd go for Shmups, Neo-Geo, Arcade Otaku, maybe SRK. Maybe Arcade Controls but I imagine the people there wouldn't be too interested or just butcher them up.

Tain

If this were just a slightly different time in my life I'd be getting one of those cabinets. As it stands right now I shouldn't be spending the money and don't really have time to sort out shipping and all that. :/

AmyS

i'm enjoying caladrius blaze a great deal. all those ships with their unique attacks make it easy to boot the game up. also love the boss design and music. i'll be playing this for a good while.

also happy to have a physical version. feels special in this day. especially the full color manual, lol.

Too bad I don't own currently have the space, otherwise I'd definitely be figuring out a way to get one of those candy cabs from CA.

http://www.gamengai.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=28052&sid=f4919e19e74f128c9cf32da4ce496ea8#p28052

A prototype of R-Gear has been located and is expected to be dumped sometimes in the future. R-Gear was to be a direct sequel to Rayforce/Layer Section/Gunlock/Galactic Attack before being shitcanned in favour of Raystorm - footage of it can be seen here.

2014 really is a fantastic year for shmup preservation, isn't it?

Yep, amazing news, and an ex-Taito dev is helping with the dump.

Tizoc

Man I suck at Gradius lol. Tried a few minutes of 1-4 & Gaiden, I LIKE How the first sections are similar, but damn if I can't focs to dodge bullets to save my butt.
Partially has to do with a small screen (Vita) but I am enjoying thm.

SHienryu kicks ass too, but I hate when certain enemies start blasting hundreds of bullets at you @_@

SerTapTap

What is this madness? Doujin circles finally discovered Steam and it's pouring games!

Publishers, more like. Hopefully doujin on steam continues to get bigger. Rockin Android hasn't published so much lately, but some new-to-steam pubs have popped up too. I wish Rockin Android would pick up all of Platine Dispositif's games already

BOTEC

Real question...would this be decently played with a stick (or in my arcade cabinet)?

I never played the Revolver360 games so I can't say, yet. I'll try it with my arcade stick tonight for sure. Part of the grim ritual of finding out which controllers does this port support.

Yes Boss!

I never played the Revolver360 games so I can't say, yet. I'll try it with my arcade stick tonight for sure. Part of the grim ritual of finding out which controllers does this port support.

Yeah, I had the original game on the 360 indie channel. Just tried it a few times with the controller...kinda what it was designed for. Let us know if buttons are totally mappable. For $7 it is worth a shot for cab play if they are.

SOME-MIST

The folks at shmups.com didn't speak too highly of it. But again, they diss Akai Katana Shin when it's a great fucking game so take it with a grain of salt.

I get the hate for akai katana from the shmups forum tho it's personally one of my top 5 cave games

among progear, ketsui, futari, and ibara

(sorry MMP)

BOTEC

Yeah, I had the original game on the 360 indie channel. Just tried it a few times with the controller...kinda what it was designed for. Let us know if buttons are totally mappable. For $7 it is worth a shot for cab play if they are.

I messed around with it a little. The controls are totally customizable, even allowing you to set individual buttons for "confirm" and "cancel" or doubling them up with "fire" and "bomb." The aspect ratio is a little weird, so it's either going to have black bars, or parts of the play field will be cut off. There are options for scaling X and Y axes independently, and offsetting the viewable area, as well as windowed mode. A lot of good options in there.

Now for the gameplay. Huh. This guy seems intent on solving the how to make a scrolling shooter 3D problem. I'm not sure he's nailed it yet, but he's on the right track. Because rotating the play field is such a key the left rotate and right rotate buttons become almost more important than the secondary fire "bomb" button. I almost think that "shoot," "L-rotate," and "R-rotate" should be mapped together as a row on a joystick. You're certainly going to be pressing those three buttons the most.

I like it. It's certainly a well made (damn pretty) and fun game.

(Controllers tested: Xbox One pad, and Hori RAP VX. Both worked perfectly.)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I messed around with it a little. The controls are totally customizable, even allowing you to set individual buttons for "confirm" and "cancel" or doubling them up with "fire" and "bomb." The aspect ratio is a little weird, so it's either going to have black bars, or parts of the play field will be cut off. There are options for scaling X and Y axes independently, and offsetting the viewable area, as well as windowed mode. A lot of good options in there.

Now for the gameplay. Huh. This guy seems intent on solving the how to make a scrolling shooter 3D problem. I'm not sure he's nailed it yet, but he's on the right track. Because rotating the play field is such a key the left rotate and right rotate buttons become almost more important than the secondary fire "bomb" button. I almost think that "shoot," "L-rotate," and "R-rotate" should be mapped together as a row on a joystick. You're certainly going to be pressing those three buttons the most.

I like it. It's certainly a well made (damn pretty) and fun game.

(Controllers tested: Xbox One pad, and Hori RAP VX. Both worked perfectly.)
It looks pretty dope actually. Here's your entire post summarized in one gif:

anime.gif

Pretty cool that the discount is up for a whole week too.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, in 3 more days I'm putting the remaining shmups I'm selling on eBay. If there's something you're interested in take a peek, because I'd rather sell them to someone on GAF.

It took me a while, but I currently have Mushi Futari, Espgaluda II, and the Cave STG Collection DLC disc up for auction on ebay. Quick heads up for anyone interested in grabbing any of these for cheap. PM me for links.

Arcadia score rankings possibly ending (more details at link)

More bad news for shooter fans. Given the closure of Klon/Milestone the other day, Grev's shift into sub-contracting work and CAVE's retreat from the market, I would say we only have the following companies capable of putting shooters out anymore:

• MOSS
  • Qute
  • M2
  • 5pb
M2 has the talent to make something happen, so let's hope they do. Otherwise we're probably just going to have to hope for the best from the doujins.

Tain

That's pretty sad if so, shit. Hopefully someone archives the final state of it, but either way, what an institution. If they're simply going online, though, that's for the best.

I didn't know Milestone was over. Has G.rev announced anything else now that GCCX3 is out?

The dream would be for M2 to start up a career as great as Cave's.

BOTEC

Arcadia score rankings possibly ending (more details at link)

More bad news for shooter fans. Given the closure of Klon/Milestone the other day, Grev's shift into sub-contracting work and CAVE's retreat from the market, I would say we only have the following companies capable of putting shooters out anymore:

• MOSS
  • Qute
  • M2
  • 5pb
M2 has the talent to make something happen, so let's hope they do. Otherwise we're probably just going to have to hope for the best from the doujins.

Klon is closed now? Man, I know I like to shit on them every chance I get, but damn, those guys can't catch a break.

I like MOSS' work, Qute seems to be at least prolific, M2 is ready for the big leagues, and 5pb can get there if they pick up some coding talent, they've certainly have the production part down. And with stuff like Crimzon Clover and Revolver360 coming out of doujin groups, shooting games are A-OK.

Tain

When it comes to doujin shooters, Crimzon Clover is in such a league of its own. It's the only one that has gotten me legitimately Cave-level excited. But hearing that it took eight years to make kinda wrecked my hopes of seeing more games like that coming from the doujin scene. It's such a wonderful game, but to get quality like that out of a super small team (or was it literally a one-man team?) apparently takes one of the very best and surely most dedicated shooting game players on the planet eight years. Man.

There can't be many Clover-TACs out there with eight years to spare.

@MUWANdo

Banned
G.rev isn't leaving the STG space, and their recent "shift" into for-hire work has been going on for a while; GCCX3 was just one of the first games they were allowed to put their name to.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Ginga Force upgrade menus, Japanese only??? :(

Yep. :( Have to use google translate every time I'm playing the game. Apart from that is it awesome, Qute are my favorite shmup devs that are still around.

Elixir

G.rev isn't leaving the STG space, and their recent "shift" into for-hire work has been going on for a while; GCCX3 was just one of the first games they were allowed to put their name to.

No, this is different, G.rev are indirectly asking for staff members now. You clearly don't read their blog.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
what is M2 working on now? do we have any idea? adore their work with the SVC compilations and the sega 3d classics.

@MUWANdo

Banned
No, this is different, G.rev are indirectly asking for staff members now. You clearly don't read their blog.

You're right, I don't. How recent are we talking here?

I'd been told that Maruyama was flip-flopping on whether or not to push for more contract work because he didn't like managing large teams, but that was months ago, before GCCX3 was done, even.

Tizoc

Man the US release of Gunbird 1 leaves sooooooooooooooooooooooo much to be desired, they cut out a lot of stuff. Still enjoying it though, but really who owns the rights to Psikyo games?
Gunbird_PS_A.jpg

gunstarhero

2 addicting classics for me:
$(KGrHqQOKocE35(+y-e+BOJGJO8gcQ~~0_35.JPG

Wow -THUNDERCADE!

I picked up the arcade PCB a while back for cheap - knowing next to nothing about the game. Really fun, old school shooter - but the (arcade version) music can be a bit grating after a while IIRC :)

Gotta plug this one back in today and check it out again. Great pick!

Elixir

You're right, I don't. How recent are we talking here?

I'd been told that Maruyama was flip-flopping on whether or not to push for more contract work because he didn't like managing large teams, but that was months ago, before GCCX3 was done, even.

You can find out by visiting their blog.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Man the US release of Gunbird 1 leaves sooooooooooooooooooooooo much to be desired, they cut out a lot of stuff. Still enjoying it though, but really who owns the rights to Psikyo games?
Gunbird_PS_A.jpg
Let me guess: it doesn't have TATE mode, correct?

Tizoc

Super Star Soldier on PSP is so addicting and good, but can someone post the recommended weapon for each stage?
Let me guess: it doesn't have TATE mode, correct?

Nope, just difficulty setting, how many lives you want per 'Coin' and button config.

Top Bottom