• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Can anyone tell me how far I am from the end?
I am now at the boss where I can either fight it, or go around by following the woman

Well I turned off Turbulence and it didn't help at all lol, the game still crashes and I didn't even get an FPS boost like at all.

The game doesn't crash too often, but often enough for me to lose my shit lol, I'm on the grave yard boss right now with my Rogue and I'm totally getting my shit kicked in.

It's hilarious how shit I'm at this game considering that I beat Dark Souls 2 on SL1......
The grave yard boss kicked my shit in too, till I figured out a easy kill method for the adds. ;)
Projectile gauntlet is your friend.

ironcreed

Banned
Can't even defeat the first boss, the control are so unresponsive, and the evade roll is sooo slow. Fuck this game.

Lighten your armor up by a couple of pieces. Better yet, just keep your distance with your shield up and pick your spots after you memorize the patterns. Just don't get greedy and hack n' slash. Cake.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I've found a set of armor that's completely game-breaking. It has so much poise and defence I can facetank everything, no need for a shield or dodging anymore, I just 2hand my weapon and go to town. I just completed the part where you
go through the Portal, fight the spider boss thing and now I have to go to the cathedral

Disappointed in the bosses so far, mostly they devolve into a lot of waiting. The second boss was fucking egregious, it was a test of patience more than anything. The most fun boss was the graveyard one by far.

Also, what's the method for dealing with shielded enemies? They just turtle up forever and never really open themselves up. I either sprint at them with the shield to knock them down and follow up with a running strong attack immediately, or just wail on them with a 2h weapon until their guard breaks, but I feel like I'm missing something. Kicking them does fuck all. What are you supposed to do against them if you're a dual-wielder?

Also, what's the method for dealing with shielded enemies? They just turtle up forever and never really open themselves up. I either sprint at them with the shield to knock them down and follow up with a running strong attack immediately, or just wail on them with a 2h weapon until their guard breaks, but I feel like I'm missing something. Kicking them does fuck all. What are you supposed to do against them if you're a dual-wielder?
Also projectile softens them up as well.

tragic

Developer
Almost done with the game (first play through). Personal opinions!

Pros:

Combat is good - Different but good.
Roll is about avoidance, not really gaining an advantage (... at least for me. I played with mid-roll the whole time). You have to be more proactive in getting by the numerous shield enemies. As someone that played SnS the whole game, I wonder what 2H and DW would do when faced against the many shield enemies in the game. I came to rely on run+bash hardcore.

Hits feel meaty. I don't mind the slower overall pace than Souls, but there are definitely some caveats. I like the crit running strikes (feels pretty badass). I like shield being a tool that can be used more proactively (but may be almost required in some cases). I really love the timing aspect (less stamina per swing when done right). I don't use the charge attack very much.

Enemy Sliding & Hit Detection
Sometimes the enemy sliding is just incredible (more obvious with bosses). Also, sometimes I roll and even if I avoid, many enemies seem to turn on a time. When the roll is about avoidance and just moving out of enemy attack range, it seems weird for them to just spin mid-move and then slide back up to you.

Overall Presentation Elements & Polish*
I love the polish on much of the game; UI, Menus, Equipping Stuff, Weapon/Armor Cards, Audio Lore, and even the voice acting wasn't bad for me (but the syncing and the dialogue animations were absolutely hilarious). The world they created is quite good in my opinion, and I never once minded the art style (then again, I worked on Darksiders... lol, so maybe I'm biased).

Note the (*)... there are definitely things that NEED polish as well (hit-detection, performance in general, etc).

Cons:

Crashing.
I love the tension of the Souls-like gameplay (chance to lose your souls and have to reclaim them, not knowing what's around each corner, high-damage, etc), but the additional tension of knowing the game can crash at any moment and forcing me to re-save WAY more than I normally would (thus avoiding the sweet combat modifier) or play completely different around exploding-roll enemies... well, it really put a damper on it. I couldn't just enjoy exploration and coming across new enemies and maxing out the kill multiplier.

The Run/Jump mechanic
At home, my run works as toggle-click L-Stick (playing on PC with xbox controller). At work, it's hold L-Stick. Sometimes it just stops working... so I click it, then it starts running and it just jumps. This system seems so hacked together that it became hard to rely on it when I needed it. Especially frustrating when much of the combat against shield enemies was run... + shield, run... + heavy attack. Overall, it just feels very inconsistent.

Boss Design
Most of them aren't bad. In fact, I wouldn't say that any of them are outright bad. However, none of them strike me as very memorable either. The naming convention leaves much to be desired as well. I think that's one element they could have put more thought into. These are LORDS... why not give them awesome names? Anyway, as for actual boss design... they just fell flat to me in many cases. Big, open arenas... and you end up fighting the boss in this one little 10 foot square because none of the mechanics really force you outside of that comfort zone. There's one boss (with the annoying 1-hit kill mechanic that you get no info on pre-fight) that had another interesting mechanic which felt way cooler to me (something other than standing in

Honestly loving this game so far. Beat the third boss and went into the catacombs... now I'm seeing that's not the right way to go!? Catacombs are certainly very difficult. I keep running back to my checkpoints to refill. Reading about all the secrets you guys found earlier in the game are making me jealous. I never even found the freaking compass... I might need to backtrack and find all that stuff.

Currently using the first greatsword, 2 handed mode. Almost have enough strength to use My Axe. I'm finding that when I have trouble with a boss, grinding a little bit before going back in helps a lot. Just a little extra energy can make a huge difference, especially with how much this greatsword uses.

Had my first major bug/glitch last night (PS4). I wanted to backtrack from around the 2nd boss area to the beginning to find some more secrets... as I'm going back, I realize there are NO ENEMIES! None. I had the whole place to myself. King of the castle! But then after a while running around and finding some small treasures, the game crashed, and I had to restart back at my prior save. At that point all the enemies returned. Oh also at one point there was a save spot in the catacombs that was lit up red like it was active, but wouldn't actually let me use it until I left the area and returned.

Denton

Those are nice impressions tragic. Sounds like a great game once they fix the crashing completely. Gonna get it once fully patched.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looks like someone already traded in a copy of the PS4 version at a local Gamestop, so I've got it on hold. Really looking forward to checking this out!

ced

but the additional tension of knowing the game can crash at any moment and forcing me to re-save WAY more than I normally would (thus avoiding the sweet combat modifier)

The game tells you otherwise, but you don't lose your modifier when using the checkpoint save, only when banking exp.

derwalde

4hours in and at the third lord. i like this game very much. level design is a plus in my book until now.

tearing is there but otherwise its fine (PS4).

Sanctuary

The game is riddled with problems on pc. Glitchy menus, crashes, poor performance and such. If you can, I'd probably buy it on console. I have a pretty good system but i have to lower the settings quite alot. It still looks good but it's kinda dissapointing.

The game, without these problems, is really really good. But I'm gonna hold off playing it until a big patch comes out.

This is pretty much on point.

http://www.pcgamer.com/lords-of-the-fallen-review/

Sometimes the enemy sliding is just incredible (more obvious with bosses). Also, sometimes I roll and even if I avoid, many enemies seem to turn on a time. When the roll is about avoidance and just moving out of enemy attack range, it seems weird for them to just spin mid-move and then slide back up to you.

Do you mean enemy tracking? Because a handful of enemies in Dark Souls 2 did this shit too. It's one of the first things I noticed, on top of the greatly reduced i-frames of the dodge (which also showed how off enemy hitboxes were too). If you literally mean sliding, I can't say I've seen them slide or skate back on top of me.

Naminator

Banned
The grave yard boss kicked my shit in too, till I figured out a easy kill method for the adds. ;)
Projectile gauntlet is your friend.

Well I just defeated the Graveyard boss........ I'm actually pretty embarrassed to be honest because he is easy as fuck.

Maybe yesterday the frustration with the crashes and performance of this game took a heavier toll on me than I thought.

tragic

Developer
Almost done with the game (first play through). Personal opinions!

[ : Pros : ]

Combat is good - Different but good.
Roll is about avoidance, not really gaining an advantage (... at least for me. I played with mid-roll the whole time). You have to be more proactive in getting by the numerous shield enemies. As someone that played 1H/Shield the majority of the game, I wonder what 2H and DW would do when faced against the many shield enemies in the game. I came to rely on run+bash hardcore.

Hits feel meaty. I don't mind the slower overall pace than Souls, but there are definitely some caveats. I like the crit running strikes (feels pretty badass). I like shield being a tool that can be used more proactively (but may be almost required in some cases). I really love the timing aspect (less stamina per swing when done right). I don't use the charge attack very much.

Secrets / Things to Do
Secrets, backtracking to places I remembered from earlier in the game, collecting stuff, and even the "quests" were OK (plain, but serviceable). Felt like I had a lot of stuff to do, then more stuff to do when I discovered new keys or switches.

They definitely seemed to have gone out of their way to give it the DS1 feel of "WOW, I'm back here where I was before... but I came in this entirely different way, COOL!". In fact, sometimes I felt like the world got a tad confusing because there were so many alternate routes and backdoors. That being said, it was really fun to revisit areas and find stuff I missed... but mentally tying it all together in my head the first time or two through it proved much trickier compared to the elegant layout of DS1. Huge kudos for trying and mostly succeeding IMO!

Overall Presentation Elements & Polish*
Note the (*)... there are definitely things that NEED polish... but there are some really stand-out elements as well (at least to me).

Much of the game, presentation wise, felt really "clean" if that makes sense; UI, Menus, Equipping Stuff, Weapon/Armor Cards, Audio Lore, and even the voice acting wasn't bad for me (but the syncing and the dialogue animations were absolutely hilarious). The world they created is quite good in my opinion, and I never once minded the art style (then again, I love the "Joe Mad" look... so maybe I'm biased).

I found that I started to get annoyed by little things (smith always saying "we meet again" after I left him 2 seconds ago... c'mon, put a cool down on it!). Needing to gauntlet a door to go through (Why? It doesn't add anything). Not being able to just switch between 1H and 2H because there's a third option - the gauntlet. I know you can cycle with the D-PAD in "Alternate" config, but then you lose some of the other functionality.

Also, weapon comparison seemed a little weird as well. Feels as if they are like 1 or 2 tweaks away from making equipping/upgrading/comparing a really smooth/seamless process.

Of course, none of those are really deal-breakers either.

[ : Cons : ]

Crashing
I love the tension of the Souls-like gameplay (chance to lose your souls and have to reclaim them, not knowing what's around each corner, high-damage, etc), but the additional tension of knowing the game can crash at any moment and forcing me to re-save WAY more than I normally would (thus avoiding the sweet combat modifier) or play completely different around exploding-roll enemies... well, it really put a damper on it. I couldn't just enjoy exploration and coming across new enemies and maxing out the kill multiplier.

The Run/Jump mechanic
At home, my run works as toggle-click L-Stick (playing on PC with xbox controller). At work, it's hold L-Stick. Sometimes it just stops working... so I click it, then it starts running and it just jumps. Also, 2 runs (Default config). This system seems so hacked together that it became hard to rely on it when I needed it. Especially frustrating when much of the combat against shield enemies was run... + shield, run... + heavy attack. Overall, it just feels very inconsistent.

Sometimes the enemy sliding is just incredible (more obvious with bosses). Also, sometimes I roll and even if I avoid, many enemies seem to turn on a dime. When the roll is about avoidance and just moving out of enemy attack range, it seems weird for them to just spin mid-move and then slide back up to you.

Also, some of the hit-boxes are gigantic. I'd roll way out of the way only to see my guy take damage from a hit-box that was clearly 2x larger than the physical body that wasn't even close to me. Annoying, but not the worst thing ever.

Enemy Design
Add more exploding enemies... that surely won't get old! But seriously... a lot of the enemies are pretty cool, but I wouldn't say they are memorable (maybe one of the sorcerer guys). Otherwise, pretty plain. It's sad that the scariest enemy in the game is the rolling exploder guy that has a 75% chance to crash the game when blocked. I had to change the way I play to deal with this guy so as to avoid a potential (probable) crash... not because of good/interesting design. (My PC is pretty boss also... can't imagine what it's like for people without the brute-force PC power).

Boss Design
Most of them aren't bad. In fact, I wouldn't say that any of them are outright bad. However, none of them strike me as very memorable either. The naming convention leaves much to be desired as well. I think that's one element they could have put more thought into. These are LORDS... why not give them awesome names?

Anyway, as for actual boss design... they just fell flat to me in many cases. Big, open arenas... and you end up fighting the boss in this one little 10 foot square because none of the mechanics really force you outside of that comfort zone. There's one boss (with the annoying 1-hit kill mechanic that you get no info on pre-fight) that had another interesting mechanic which felt way cooler to me (something other than standing in the 10 foot area at least).

[ : Overall : ]
I'm happy with the game. I think it's a great first attempt, and I truly believe that a sequel has the potential to be amazing. They did a great job and have a lot of good ideas (no matter where they came from, lol), and their execution on many of those aspects is very good. Now it's just about leveling-up their foundation, ironing out their tech, and cleaning up the rough edges to really deliver a masterpiece. I think they can do it the next time around... but time will tell!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'd say the biggest problem this game has is variety both in enemy designs and area designs.

Sucks that every area is a ruined snowy castle, even the other dimension you travel too is yet another snowy ruin.

Jolkien

Does anyone know if the trophy/achievement for collecting 9 Tyrant hearts works even if I use 4 hearts to upgrade my potions ?

Jolkien

Those hearts upgrade your potions? Im near the last boss and didn't know this. How do you upgrade them?

Side quest
if you cut the arm of the monk and do all he ask the end result of the quest line is stronger health potion. I haven't upgraded them yet myself I'm wondering if I should just get to 9 Hearts and then do the quest. You need 4 for the quest.

Where is Yetka when you need to follow her or go in directly? She walked into the west antechamber but I can't find her.

You have to work your way all the way through the west chamber until you will connect to the east one, there you will find a key that unlocks a door back in the west one. Keep going and you will find her.

Side quest
if you cut the arm of the monk and do all he ask the end result of the quest line is stronger health potion. I haven't upgraded them yet myself I'm wondering if I should just get to 9 Hearts and then do the quest. You need 4 for the quest.

Thanks, can u explain easily where the
"laboratory"
is? I need to meet him there next, fucking going in circles here.

Jolkien

Thanks, can u explain easily where the
"laboratory"
is? I need to meet him there next, fucking going in circles here.

His laboratory is in
one of the tower on the wall after the first boss. There's a spider in there. You clear it, go back and tells him it's cleared and the game make it sounds he will wait for you there. I cleared the lab but I did not go back to see him yet so I'm not sure if the last step is correct.

His laboratory is in
one of the tower on the wall after the first boss. There's a spider in there. You clear it, go back and tells him it's cleared and the game make it sounds he will wait for you there. I cleared the lab but I did not go back to see him yet so I'm not sure if the last step is correct.

yeah I apparently cleared it too, cuz he said he would meet me there, but I couldn't remember where it was exactly. I think I know what your talking about though so ill give that a try. thanks.

Ferr986

wait, wait, wait.... does this game have a timing combo thing like in PSO¿? I noticed sometimes my stamina bar flash depending on the timing of my attacks.

wait, wait, wait.... does this game have a timing combo thing like in PSO¿? I noticed sometimes my stamina bar flash depending on the timing of my attacks.
Yep uses less stamina if you can time all your attacks efficiently. I think rouge weapons do some kind of power move if you get three correctly or something? I use heavy weapons so I could be talking out of my ass here.

Jolkien

Yep uses less stamina if you can time all your attacks efficiently. I think rouge weapons do some kind of power move if you get three correctly or something? I use heavy weapons so I could be talking out of my ass here.

Yes if you attack with the correct timing while dual wielding you go in a combo and DPS sky rocket.

Xater

How's the performance of this on PS4? As bad as I have seen in the Xbox One videos? If so I'll probably skip it because it looked like the devs just skipped optimization.

How's the performance of this on PS4? As bad as I have seen in the Xbox One videos? If so I'll probably skip it because it looked like the devs just skipped optimization.

From what I've seen and played, its much better on the XOne. Ive seen soo many posts of the PS4 crashing and screen tearing. Havnt had either on XOne.

Sanctuary

Oh wow, so I guess I found a missing NPC I think some of you guys might be wondering where he is if he disappears on you like he did to me. The one by the infiltrator boss that asks you for human skulls, he moves over to the entrance of the place. If you just head upstairs from the boss area until you reach the top you will hear him yell and you will find him on the right. Since I found every human skull I finished his quest and the reward is
a pretty baller trinket that leeches both magic and health.

I have been looking everywhere for the Crippled Rhogar, and he's nowhere to be found. The first time I found him he was up a small flight of stairs next to the two giant, disc like doors that end up opening, kind of around where the extra dimensional portal thing (purple rocks that form a gate after you kill a boss) and the wall with the rune writing. Every time I would approach he would moan about something that was 5x louder than the rest of the game's volume.

Anyway, I got the
shield from him
but apparently it was only supposed to cost me 15x skulls, and the asshole took 25 instead and now he's totally gone. I've looked everywhere that could literally be "above" the
Infiltrator
arena and he's still MIA. I think the game fucked up on me too. First reward costs 15 skulls and the second 15. He took 25, I have 5 left and there are no more skulls anywhere.

GHG

Just played about 90 minutes. Really dig it so far. The combat requires a lot more patience than I originally anticipated although managed to get past the 1st boss without any problems. The voice acting and lip sync are quite bad though.

Graphics really surprised me. Looks really really good fully maxed out and my 2 660s are handling this very well in sli so far. Don't know what my framerate is because I forgot to run flaps before I started playing but it's been very smooth and without any crashes so far even with nvidia turbulence on (I set my physx to CPU before I started the game).

Looking forward to playing more.

Kensuke

I still haven't found the key that opens the locked door in the memorial/outer wall. It's on this passageway that leads to the graveyard. An enemy is always standing in front of it. I'm starting to think it's DLC.

ZangBa

I have been looking everywhere for the Crippled Rhogar, and he's nowhere to be found. The first time I found him he was up a small flight of stairs next to the two giant, disc like doors that end up opening, kind of around where the extra dimensional portal thing (purple rocks that form a gate after you kill a boss) and the wall with the rune writing. Every time I would approach he would moan about something that was 5x louder than the rest of the game's volume.

Anyway, I got the
shield from him
but apparently it was only supposed to cost me 15x skulls, and the asshole took 25 instead and now he's totally gone. I've looked everywhere that could literally be "above" the
Infiltrator
arena and he's still MIA. I think the game fucked up on me too. First reward costs 15 skulls and the second 15. He took 25, I have 5 left and there are no more skulls anywhere.

It's possible you may have went to the wrong area, I'll try to be more descriptive when I get back from picking up my nephew from school. He hangs out in a corner area and there's a boiling pot in the center, if he took all your skulls you might just need to talk to him again there to trigger the reward. Without spoiling anything, you really need to be there to trigger it.

burgerdog

I still haven't found the key that opens the locked door in the memorial/outer wall. It's on this passageway that leads to the graveyard. An enemy is always standing in front of it. I'm starting to think it's DLC.

It's an end game area according to a dev video.

Sanctuary

It's possible you may have went to the wrong area, I'll try to be more descriptive when I get back from picking up my nephew from school. He hangs out in a corner area and there's a boiling pot in the center, if he took all your skulls you might just need to talk to him again there to trigger the reward. Without spoiling anything, you really need to be there to trigger it.

From what others have told me elsewhere, he's literally outside, in the snow pretty close to the save point with the cave that has some spiders and a chest. I'm not sure if that's actually supposed to be his first or second spawn point though, because your description makes it sound like where I found him initially is his second.

Edit: found him.

From the checkpoint in the Abandoned Range that's right next to the cave area with the platforming/spiders, just hug the right wall until you see the first (of two) small flight of stairs, then hang left and walk through the area that looks like a fence made of sticks or something.

Hmm, I'm on NG+ and I've looked all over. I'll guess I'll have to wait for a guide.

Are you talking about the locked door that has the rogue type enemy standing in it? If so, there was a post earlier talking about how you could exploit your way to the bottom of the graveyard with Quake (but I never got it to work), and that the legit key is right before the
Annihilator.

I know there are at least two doors that have remained locked for me so far. The one described above, and the one at the bottom of one of those towers that has a winding stairwell going up that's around the Memorial area too.

Where is Yetka when you need to follow her or go in directly? She walked into the west antechamber but I can't find her.

Basically you have to work your way through there and up and out the top of that one room so that you don't have to enter the arena with the boss.

Sanctuary

Basically you have to work your way through there and up and out the top of that one room so that you don't have to enter the arena with the boss.

She seems to be full of shit though, as though what she has to show you would help you with the boss (who is extremely easy btw). I would just ignore her ass, kill the boss and meet her later. If you're trying to find the shortcut to her though, a door that was previously closed off (kind of off to the side on one of the upper levels of the areas east/west of the save crystal) is now open.

Top Bottom