• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| Not that one. The other one.

Zheph

Damn I posted in review instead of OT.
Took the first class available and just did Pieta. So far I am enjoying it but yeah the cutscenes are not really good on a technical point of view at least on PS5.
I really like the atmosphere somehow quite disgusting next to a dark souls. Lot of mechanics to digest but nothing overly complicated

ssringo

So Pieta's sword is only 5+ uppgrade?
Correct. Regular weapons go to +10 and boss weapons go to +5. Boss weapons cost less mats to upgrade (other than the single chunk to max) but is offset by having to buy them.

On a funny note: because of the patches resetting stuff it seems you can buy a second Pieta's sword if you have the currency. I'm gonna save up and buy another one for dual wield light sabers!

Zheph

Tried the coop quickly with a friend, it seems really fun and worked well. Will do a run with him once I'm done solo

ssringo

Decided to download the game on my Deck and see how it is. Made it to the main hub before stopping.

Everything defaults to low settings (expected) and seems to in general float between 30 and 45 fps. Can dip to the 20s at worst and get all the way to 60 at best. Not great but certainly playable though I imagine it won't hold up in some of the later stuff. It does NOT like you fucking with settings (game settings OR Deck performance settings) in game. Every time I did framerate tanked to the 20s and would not stabilize until reloading. It also seems to mess up the button to skip cutscenes at times. Also had it goof in the menus as well where I couldn't select anything.

The devs seem to want the game to be verified at some point as it has a Deck controller layout in the settings. The experience was ok and if they can get performance stable it would be a solid way to play the game on the go. But right now I don't think it's worth it.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
About to start finally putting some serious time into this. Only have a few hours.

Currently my build is maybe a bit too spread out.

For those with more time, is a quality build viable/worth it?

Any stats I can kind of ignore?

DavidGzz

About to start finally putting some serious time into this. Only have a few hours.

Currently my build is maybe a bit too spread out.

For those with more time, is a quality build viable/worth it?

Any stats I can kind of ignore?

I'm doing fine and my stats are spread out. I am pumping strength, vit, and end. I did start quality up to 16 Dex but I found a sweet axe that needed 22 strength so I ended up mostly strength(32 so far)because the jump in DMG per point seems massive, especially now that my Angel axe is +5.

I ignored radiance and inferno so far and it's fine. Throwing weapons are amazing and are quick and convenient to use so no dex, or magic and I still have a ranged option. I have two other characters that are focusing on other stats. This is a proper souls so I'll be playing it several times.

Last edited:
Fall fashion, new look:

BdSOec3.jpg
zFwe1Vq.jpg

Finally found the resource to upgrade my Umbral lamp. Primary slot has an eyeball that grants you 8 seconds of invulnerability when entering Umbral (with a cool visual effect!), that utility of this should be obvious, allows you to instantly regain all your withered health with zero risk, allows you to safely retreat if surrounded, allows you to wail on a boss for 8 seconds with no danger to yourself. Secondary slot has an eyeball that improves healing in Umbral.

I've only focused on 2 stats: Inferno and Vitality. Put a single point into to strength to allow me to wield a decent looking shield and a couple of points into endurance mostly for the weight capacity gain. I'm now literally a sliver away from Medium to Heavy build lol. Fought a miniboss last night that used ice, needless to say it was weak to fire, my Pyromancer was having a field day.

I appreciate the patches coming quickly but I didn't notice any performance difference with the latest one, getting performance rock solid should be the number one priority, don't care about balance changes, fixing PVP or any other shit. Half the time it runs smooth, half the time it doesn't, still absolutely hooked nonetheless 👌

DavidGzz

Oops, I accidentally killed this person (hadn't attacked NPC in this game yet, so I wasn't sure).

Hope it wasn't too important, anyway, what does she say here when I killed her?

That's hilarious. Most NPCs seem invincible unless that changed with a new patch.

demigod

L0qPYlU.jpg

Thought I died to Pieta, but then I still had umbral form. Got up and fought her and thought I was dead again. FU biotch!!!

DLSS on with a 3090, performance mode but everything is set at Ultra. Pretty solid 60+ fps at 4K.

My biggest gripe so far, I cannot skip cutscenes with controller unless I press a button on the keyboard. Anyone else with this issue?

The voice actor is pretty terrible, hopefully the next iteration they can afford better ones. And here I thought it couldn’t be worse than Elden Ring’s.

At first I was impressed with the ps5 version running at 60 fps but I can't ignore it anymore ..the game doesnt look good because no matter what I do to tweak settings, the image quality is bad.

Even turning HDR off there's still something weird with the lack of real contrast to the image. There's like a layer of haze as well as an unstable image with shadows and textures bugging out.

I don't think they'll ever "fix" it either. Shame because I dig the artstyle and was excited to try my first full fledged Unreal 5 game.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Couple of things for the folks on PC.

1. AF cannot be adjusted and likely use low 4x that's probably on consoles. You can tweak it in the NVIDIA control panel.

ZzQgEGn.jpg

2. Shadows predictably have a huge performance cost.

f9XHE5z.jpg
oNwPSCI.jpg

3. Global Illumination is also very taxing, especially on Ultra.

0w0bwyK.jpg

4. Foliage is also a huge performance hog on High and Ultra. Need to set it to at least Medium because Low just kills the presentation.

xeRiKop.jpg

Additionally, Nanite only appears to be used on large objects. There is no evidence of ray traced reflections on Ultra despite the game's menu claiming the contrary. Umbral is also more taxing than Axiom by around 10%. Texture Quality doesn't actually change the quality of the textures but the VRAM allocation. The texture quality will decrease if you exceed your frame buffer budget. At 1440p/DLSS Quality, he never saw it climb above 6GB so this game is fairly light on VRAM usage.

Optimized settings.

qaJ60lu.png

Macattk15

In all my souls games played, from the OG Demon's Souls to this .... Lords of the Fallen is by far the most bullshit dogshitty one.

15.6 hours in and not sure how much more of this shit I wanna play.

Last edited:

Gaiff

In all my souls games played, from the OG Demon's Souls to this .... Lords of the Fallen is by far the most bullshit dogshitty one.

15.6 hours in and not sure how much more of this shit I wanna play.
It's really that bad? I was sold on the game after only a few minutes and I also heard the level design is great. But I'm reading some things that worry me, chief among them being the lack of enemy variety and the endless waves of mobs of enemies later in the game. Some players say it's so bad you'd rather just run past them than explore.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
No offense to anyone who is enjoying this.

I finally got to play it and I’m not that impressed. It’s “I don’t want to ruin someone else’s experience” type of decent. I was over the lamp gimmick before the tutorial ended. The character runs like a sedan in GTA.

It doesn’t have a big robust world with all these small maze like paths you have to cross. It does have a unique look to it, but it feels a Hellraiser cube.

It feels like I’m at the bottom of Mordor trying to get out to the fields of the Shire. So much doom and gloom in this starting area. I fell off a path because I didn’t cast my lamp at the right angle. The loading times for deaths is stupid. The Castlevania cross splash screen when you die, is also stupid. I’ll see if it gets better. How do you make these types of decisions when you’ve got millions in the bank to spend on crafting a video game?

I wish Sony had a better refund policy.

Last edited:

Macattk15

It's really that bad? I was sold on the game after only a few minutes and I also heard the level design is great. But I'm reading some things that worry me, chief among them being the lack of enemy variety and the endless waves of mobs of enemies later in the game. Some players say it's so bad you'd rather just run past them than explore.

Sorry to say but that's pretty accurate.

The sheer number of mobs is just ridiculous sometimes ... and thats not even counting if you find yourself running through the Umbral.

GymWolf

Oops, I accidentally killed this person (hadn't attacked NPC in this game yet, so I wasn't sure).

Hope it wasn't too important, anyway, what does she say here when I killed her?

I killed her by rolling into her by mistake.

I got a good radiance catalyst so it was not for nothing.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Guys this game is ridiculously big, I'm closing in on 30 hours and I've *still* only seen 1 beacon. Currently in a massive, completely *optional* area. All I can say is explore, explore, explore, praise the Umbral Lamp 🪔

Me too, and I had to go back because I missed it lol. I beat that boss, went another 5 hours in a different direction and beat another boss, went to the hub and noticed there was a question mark on one of the remembrances. I went back and got it and finished the beacon lol. The game will be huge for me. Probably take me as long as Else Ring at this point.

Gaiff

I have no fucking idea how people completed this thing in 30 hours...
This reminds me of Elden Ring. A mate of mine was done after about 60 hours. I don't even think I had reached Leyndell. Took me about 120 hours but I almost 100% the game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The way they complete most games, rush through ignoring 50% of the content then pat themselves on the back for winning the "race" 🤷🏼

How far in are you now?
I beated horse dude, stoneface dude and the dude who heal itself, i think have i have multiple place to explore and i'm kinda lost :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Only cleansed 1 beacon.

Last edited:

swing_harder

Neo Member
Guys this game is ridiculously big, I'm closing in on 30 hours and I've *still* only seen 1 beacon. Currently in a massive, completely *optional* area. All I can say is explore, explore, explore, praise the Umbral Lamp 🪔
Yep...I travel back to previously played levels all the time to try out new weapons/farm vigor and I'm constantly running across hidden areas/items that I missed. Game is so satifying (y)

I beated horse dude, stoneface dude and the dude who heal itself, i think have i have multiple place to explore and i'm kinda lost :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Only cleansed 1 beacon.

Sounds like you've killed a lot of dudes, enjoy the exploring 👌 FYI to you and everyone else who may not know, the checkpoints appear *in order* when using fast travel meaning they show the order that the levels should be tackled. I unlocked a checkpoint in a high level area 10 hours ago and it's still at the very top left, I wasn't meant to go there until *much* later on lol.

Portugeezer

Having issues summoning any lampbearers. Anyone else? If anyone is available to join let me know I need help with the Hushed Saint boss.

Worked well during the first few days, this feels like a bug because the game sold well enough from what I can tell.

GymWolf

Having issues summoning any lampbearers. Anyone else? If anyone is available to join let me know I need help with the Hushed Saint boss.

Worked well during the first few days, this feels like a bug because the game sold well enough from what I can tell.
I tried to help people with bosses to collect those things to buy boss loot but the lag was beyond terrible so i didn't tried again.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Yeah my brother and I have been having intermittent trouble with the co op. Can’t host on my end but we’ve managed a couple sessions on his.

I’m not sure if it’s my internet or the game or both since he’s got a gigabit download speed. I’m 55mbps down and 11mbps up but apparently that’s not enough for this game xD

It’s too pretty!

ssringo

Same as GymWolf GymWolf I tried co-op but the lag makes it quite frustrating so I don't do it much and worse I keep getting summoned to areas I've not even been to...

I really like the game and don't want devs to copy/paste everything that From does but I much prefer putting a summon sign down where I want to do multiplayer instead of being dropped in whereever.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Same as GymWolf GymWolf I tried co-op but the lag makes it quite frustrating so I don't do it much and worse I keep getting summoned to areas I've not even been to...

I really like the game and don't want devs to copy/paste everything that From does but I much prefer putting a summon sign down where I want to do multiplayer instead of being dropped in whereever.
I’m surprised it doesn’t localize within 1 or 2 regions of the vestige you use to matchmake. It does suck not getting to discover a new place for yourself; especially when it’s laggy as a game of telephone at the old folks home.

Zheph

Coop is working decently for me a few drops (which ultimately can cost your life) but not bad.

just did the Hushed prick and now cleaning the zone fully, really enjoying the game now. I am actually very surprised by the feedback from some users but fair enough

Luipadre

It's really nice to see devs who are trying to rectify things ASAP instead of the radio silence followed by a twitter "apology" a couple of months later that we usually get in situations like this.

it would've been much better to just release a game that doesnt runs like shit tho and doesnt need daily patching 🤷‍♂️

Dont know how much is this on publisher vs dev team but tbh i dont really care anymore. Buying games day 1 just so stupid now.

Reactions: GHG

ssringo

I’m surprised it doesn’t localize within 1 or 2 regions of the vestige you use to matchmake. It does suck not getting to discover a new place for yourself; especially when it’s laggy as a game of telephone at the old folks home.
It might localize multiplayer but I dunno. One of the undiscovered zones I got summoned to was just ahead of a boss I left alone and returned to later. But I also got summoned to a boss/zone that I still haven't found. However, I'm kinda lost on where I'm supposed to go next right now so it could very well be my next zone once I get on the right path. Neither place was too tough for me to deal with (lag aside).

Still annoying and shouldn't be done this way.

Last edited:

GHG

it would've been much better to just release a game that doesnt runs like shit tho and doesnt need daily patching 🤷‍♂️

Dont know how much is this on publisher vs dev team but tbh i dont really care anymore. Buying games day 1 just so stupid now.

Agree and agree.

However I think their activity since release is commendable since unfortunately it's not what we are used to in situations like this. These guys are clearly working 24/7 to get patches out on a daily basis.

I reached Manse of the Hallowed Brothers yesterday. I think I'm in the last third or maybe quarter.

They've really hidden a ton of stuff in this game. Exploration and discovery are my favorite parts of these games, so I'm loving it. I started going back through some areas to see what I've missed. I spent a long time in Lower Calrath last night and I'm still not done there..

I get the complaints in regard to enemy variety. Consider, though, that they don't have a foundation of multiple previous games to build upon. Dark Souls made a huge leap over Demon's Souls in this respect, for example. I'm not fond of getting bombed with range stuff around every turn. I wonder if this was done intentionally to force melee characters to use throwables or if the throwables system was worked out to make melee viable after they realized they had a million Tom Brady clones roaming around every map. Its not ideal, but I'm okay with it.

It's a shame that this reviewed so poorly. It's about a 9.5 for me but I'm a Souls fanboy. Sucks if the UE4-5 stuff is true. Nobody cares enough about Soulslike graphics to justify the turmoil. I hope it does well enough for DLC and a sequel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom