• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Kater

Banned
I wish there wasn't something stopping me from using words like "damn" in the chat. It's really a bit much. I understand some limitations, but that is a bit much.

What an eventful day! I finished the story, started the DLC, achieved God rank in my Magician Life.

Oh, and Gato, Grizzo and I spent almost 7 hours in co-op. Love you guys. :D
Time flew by. Had lots of fun with you two. 😄

Love you too!

We totally are a kickass team now! ;)
We definitely are a pretty good team now. 😉

eojoko

re: the story and its translation

Everything King Erik says is hilarious. I look forward to scenes with him in it. I was a mercenary because I figured I wouldn't want to fight for a king, but I'd gladly have taken up the paladin life if I'd known King Erik was such a funny dude.

BooJoh

From a NA perspective I think the Treehouse translation has been stellar. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Though the PAL version has has a much different script. What I've seen of it still has been cute, but it's MUCH drier than what we got in the US. They added a lot of life (heh) in the NA version.
Agreed, I've been rather enjoying the NA translation. It's really wordy but at least it's enjoyable. It did strike me as a little odd that NA would go with Creator and Demi-Creator instead of God and Demi-God, but it's no big deal.

I wish there wasn't something stopping me from using words like "damn" in the chat. It's really a bit much. I understand some limitations, but that is a bit much.
It could be worse. MH Tri blocked things life "after" and "Kut-ku" because it used some sort of international language filter. And Lego Universe had a whitelist word filter for chat... worst idea ever.

Kater

Banned
It could be worse. MH Tri blocked things life "after" and "Kut-ku" because it used some sort of international language filter. And Lego Universe had a whitelist word filter for chat... worst idea ever.
The weird thing is, I could use words like "sexy" twice, and then suddenly there was a filter on that. It's really weird. But yeah, there are worse things in place in other games. And it is preferrable to a chat full of hurtful stuff (though it's not likely that you would play with someone who says stuff that hurts you...).

tm24

You can earn everything all the time. You only need to switch to report back in.

It depends on the Life Challenge. When looking over your challenges, it'll say "As a ____, do X" and that tells you you need to be that Life when performing the task (or if it's a bounty, you just need to be the proper Life when you turn it in.)

In the end, this results in most challenges being doable as a different job, except for the combat job challenges, most of which require you to be that job. And of course crafting should almost always be done on the proper job unless you're high rank and just throwing together some low rank ingots or something.

Awesome. Gonna go quickly grab those gathering profs so i have mats for the crafting parts

Lizardus

Became a Creator-rank Woodcutter. Gotta say, the respec-mirror helped immensely. Still need to level up more so I can max out all three relevant skills for the profession as well as luck.

I've read the OP, and I've looked at screenshots of this game, and I just still don't feel like I have a grasp of what this game is exactly. I must've missed whenever Nintendo talked about it in the past, because I didn't know anything about this title til it was released, and this thread popped up.

Could someone please try and explain to me what exactly this game is and what you do in it? How does it play? Is it good?

This is one of those times where the lack of a giantbomb quick look is driving me crazy...i know those guys don't always know the most about games they're covering, but I feel like they still know how to speak to me about what I wanna know, and seeing the game in action helps.

Gurrry

I've read the OP, and I've looked at screenshots of this game, and I just still don't feel like I have a grasp of what this game is exactly. I must've missed whenever Nintendo talked about it in the past, because I didn't know anything about this title til it was released, and this thread popped up.

Could someone please try and explain to me what exactly this game is and what you do in it? How does it play? Is it good?

This is one of those times where the lack of a giantbomb quick look is driving me crazy...i know those guys don't always know the most about games they're covering, but I feel like they still know how to speak to me about what I wanna know, and seeing the game in action helps.

check out the treehouse e3 event video from this past year, they gave a pretty good demo that summarizes what the game is all about

It's a lighthearted ARPG with 12 different job classes ("Life Classes" in the game) and a metric ton of content. There is also some light simulation elements like house decorating, fishing, pet ownership, etc.

The main meat of the game is playing the 12 different classes. 4 of them are combat oriented, 3 are gathering types and 4 are all about crafting items. You can switch between the classes pretty much whenever you wish, and each job has dozens of quests associated with it. There are also an abundance of non-class specific jobs to tackle, and a cute storyline to playthrough with a lot of charming characters and dialogue.

There are over 90 different party members to recruit (via jobs, bliss points or through the story) and you can also play online with two other friends if you wish. (You can't play through the story co-op, but you can do pretty much anything else that way.) There is also a very beefy DLC expansion that adds a whole new area to explore, new dungeons, enemies, allies, items, etc. while also adding new content to the main campaign.

In short, it's a super laid back, cheerful and highly addictive JRPG with 100+ hours of content. (Not an exaggeration.)

It's a lighthearted ARPG with 12 different job classes ("Life Classes" in the game) and a metric ton of content. There is also some light simulation elements like house decorating, fishing, pet ownership, etc.

The main meat of the game is playing the 12 different classes. 4 of them are combat oriented, 3 are gathering types and 4 are all about crafting items. You can switch between the classes pretty much whenever you wish, and each job has dozens of quests associated with it. There are also an abundance of non-class specific jobs to tackle, and a cute storyline to playthrough with a lot of charming characters and dialogue.

There are over 90 different party members to recruit (via jobs, bliss points or through the story) and you can also play online with two other friends if you wish. (You can't play through the story co-op, but you can do pretty much anything else that way.) There is also a very beefy DLC expansion that adds a whole new area to explore, new dungeons, enemies, allies, items, etc. while also adding new content to the main campaign.

In short, it's a super laid back, cheerful and highly addictive JRPG with 100+ hours of content. (Not an exaggeration.)

That's a real good explanation. Thank you ^_^

Bought this for my fiancé the other day and she's obsessed with it. Any benefit to going online or getting the DLC?
The DLC is all outlined in the OP, but I'll summarize...

The DLC has includes a lot of stuff. New avatar options, pets, items, dungeons, homes, locations, enemies, quests, allies, stat/level caps, etc. It even adds a new gameplay element. (The Friendship System.) The bulk of the DLC is triggered after the main campaign is completed, but certain elements like the new pets, storage/bag bliss bonuses, avatar options, two new homes and the aforementioned Friendship System are unlocked as soon as you purchase the DLC. (And once you reach the part of the game during the main quest that it would normally be available.) The Friendship System is especially important to note because it helps you power up your party members the more you use them. Without the DLC, they have set stats that only raise according to your MC's level, and that's it.

The content the DLC adds to the game is very substantial, so the general feeling is that if you plan to get the DLC eventually anyway, you should get it as soon as possible to make use of the elements of it that are available during the main quest.

As for online, it's a great way to gain some extra experience and bliss points, but it is totally optional. There is nothing that can be gotten online that you can't get by yourself playing solo. It is very fun though, and can be especially useful if you need to tackle some tough bosses/dungeons. (A lot of which are part of the post game DLC.) Note: People who have purchased the DLC can only play online with other DLC owners. (The same goes for players without the DLC.)

Got Wizard to Creator last night. Most others are either Hero or Master. Thinking it is time for a break.

There's a lot of things i would love from Lunares coins but they are really a drag to collect. Much faster to abandon the bullshit jobs and roll again then to chase down the majority of what Pam is requesting. Really wish there were some normal kill requests. Got my demon mirror to ease the ranking process for all other lives though.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
Whew! The end of the ride is nigh. I have Paladin/Mercenary/Hunter/Mage at God rank, Miner/Lumberjack at Legend rank, and everything else at Hero rank. But those damn crystals/trees in Origin Island are keeping me down. Just how much damn Strength you need to break the Divine Stone?

Chopper

Polished off the last(?) of Flutter's requests this morning, doing the Lunares Coin stuff, so am finally liberated of any duties other than grinding. Don't really know where to start!

Can someone explain the Lunares stuff to me? Should I be hoarding these things for better items? How easy is it to get exactly what you're after? Like, I want that stat-changing mirror. How much luck is involved?

taoofjord

From a NA perspective I think the Treehouse translation has been stellar. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Though the PAL version has has a much different script. What I've seen of it still has been cute, but it's MUCH drier than what we got in the US. They added a lot of life (heh) in the NA version.

Not exactly true, some challenges you need to be the Life itself to trigger them. (Mainly ones where you have to defeat certain minor enemies.) Plus, for the bounty cashing ones, you need to be the specific life when collecting the bounty from the clerk. (You can defeat the enemy, or gather the resource for those ones as any life though.)

That's really interesting, I never considered that there could be such a difference between versions.

Lizardus

Got Wizard to Creator last night. Most others are either Hero or Master. Thinking it is time for a break.

There's a lot of things i would love from Lunares coins but they are really a drag to collect. Much faster to abandon the bullshit jobs and roll again then to chase down the majority of what Pam is requesting. Really wish there were some normal kill requests. Got my demon mirror to ease the ranking process for all other lives though.

If you have the Tailor life to God, the master request is pretty easy to complete.

Get request, warp to your home on Terra Nimbus, Kill mid-level boss and collect materials and make the item.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a008O4DSJgI

Polished off the last(?) of Flutter's requests this morning, doing the Lunares Coin stuff, so am finally liberated of any duties other than grinding. Don't really know where to start!

Can someone explain the Lunares stuff to me? Should I be hoarding these things for better items? How easy is it to get exactly what you're after? Like, I want that stat-changing mirror. How much luck is involved?
I just grinded out the mirror last night. It sucks, but didn't require too much luck. Just luck in what Pam requests. The way i understand it, she'll always give two coins but can reward up to four depending on how many requests you complete in a row without giving up. The most i got was three because she asked for a lot of bullshit i wasn't interested in wasting time or dosh to get, but it took maybe two hours to get enough coins for the mirror and a few RNG wishes.

Zing

Banned
Bought this for my fiancé the other day and she's obsessed with it. Any benefit to going online or getting the DLC?
Most here will suggest you buy ASAP but I present an alternative view. I do not have the DLC and have spent 40 hours on this game while only being 2/3 of the way through the story. This Is with having only tried half of the 12 jobs. There is clearly more than enough content to keep you busy until you get bored without spending $9.

The "perks" seem minor to me. There is already a bewildering amount of choices when creating your character. I've completely ignored partying with NPCs because they are just a hinderance and the game is too easy even without help. The extra bliss storage/bag bonus sounds absurd to me since I keep everything I find, yet have nothing in storage and haven't run out of bag space even for a moment.

To top it off, you will only be able to play multiplayer with fellow DLC owners. This actually isn't critical, as you only really need multiplayer if you are attempting the DLC content anyway. But it will block you from casually trying the game with others.

I can see value in the post-game content, particularly if you play multiplayer. I may even buy the DLC myself someday. However, I see little reason for the average person to buy it immediately. Basically, to anyone who cares about money enough to post on a forum asking if it should be bought, I would suggest to wait.

BooJoh

Ga7ZMat.jpg

Got my first Creator rank and completed a snazzy new set of armor at the same time. I still need to progress the Origin Island story further so I can get to the coin stuff.

I've put a ton of time into this game already and I can tell I'm not even close to being done with it.

Linius

123 hours to get to Lv. 67? What have you been doing all this time? :p

I'm slow compared to most of us with Level 68 in 76 hours.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

The only items that are random are the ones from the goddess statues. There is an NPC at Pam's who has a set list of items that functions as a store, so all you have to do is get the correct amount of gold coins and trade them in to her. You'll have to put some work in, but there's no luck involved for that one. For coins you can do Pam's requests for silver coins (trade in 4 for a gold) or you can do the creator special requests (3 gold the first time you complete them, 1 each afterward). Out of the ones I have done, I've found that the tailor, blacksmith, and carpenter are all pretty simple, as you just have to kill an enemy and gather some stuff off the ground, then craft an item.

Linius

Where do you get the mirror to redo your stats? From the person at Pam's or is it a random item? I can really use that :p

daydream

Banned
Where do you get the mirror to redo your stats? From the person at Pam's or is it a random item? I can really use that :p

I dunno about Lunares coins (just started the DLC stuff yesterday) but when you finish the story,
you get a letter by Daemon saying that the forbidden part of the Al-Maajik library is open now. In there you find a book who sells you stuff during the day and offers the stat reset for 30k when you visit him at night.

H1PSTER

Why are the reviews so dull for this game?

I have hype for it but I can't just throw my money at it, especially with Christmas coming around soon so what would you say to somebody like myself, who's interested in the game but isn't sure about it?

BooJoh

123 hours to get to Lv. 67? What have you been doing all this time? :p

I'm slow compared to most of us with Level 68 in 76 hours.

I've been grinding out various crafting and gathering jobs, stopping to make new armor sets when available, and also playing passively while doing other things like watching TV or playing WoW, so there's a fair bit of idle time in there where I set the system down to do something else.

Grizzo

what is this quest of Lunares Coins that some of you are talking about?

I finished the DLC but found no mention of it anywhere.

Ga7ZMat.jpg

Got my first Creator rank and completed a snazzy new set of armor at the same time. I still need to progress the Origin Island story further so I can get to the coin stuff.

I've put a ton of time into this game already and I can tell I'm not even close to being done with it.

What is that Creator rank? I don't think I've ever reached it!

I have hype for it but I can't just throw my money at it, especially with Christmas coming around soon so what would you say to somebody like myself, who's interested in the game but isn't sure about it?
If you want Pokemon, Best Buy will let you get this game for $20 after pre-ordering that this week.
I can justify that considering the mixed reviews.

Linius

what is this quest of Lunares Coins that some of you are talking about?

I finished the DLC but found no mention of it anywhere.

What is that Creator rank? I don't think I've ever reached it!

Creator is American for God rank ;)

And if you haven't seen the Lunares coins stuff yet you haven't finished the DLC. Check your flutter requests.

daydream

Banned

It's simple: This game defies review practices because going straight for the credits is an easy way to have a terrible experience. The reviews have zero validity and it's almost unethical (certainly toward the game) that they were written. The fact that they hit so quickly says it all.

Zing

Banned

I was interested in the game, but not sure about it. The videos looked kind of boring, and other games keep me busy. I bought two copies because of a good sale price. After trying the game for an evening, I was hooked.

As for the reviews, I can see how someone inundated with the usual mainstream stuff just trying to play enough for a review may find it dull. It doesn't have the usual console game hooks. For someone just starting the game, there is essentially no multiplayer, a ton of text to wade through, and rather simplistic MMO-style fetch quests.

Regarding "creator" ranks, wow, that is so ridiculous. Did they even stop to think what they were changing? I suspect they just used scripting to go through and automatically replace all instances of "God".

Chopper

The only items that are random are the ones from the goddess statues. There is an NPC at Pam's who has a set list of items that functions as a store, so all you have to do is get the correct amount of gold coins and trade them in to her. You'll have to put some work in, but there's no luck involved for that one. For coins you can do Pam's requests for silver coins (trade in 4 for a gold) or you can do the creator special requests (3 gold the first time you complete them, 1 each afterward). Out of the ones I have done, I've found that the tailor, blacksmith, and carpenter are all pretty simple, as you just have to kill an enemy and gather some stuff off the ground, then craft an item.
Thanks for the info dude. So, presumably I need to be God rank in something for these quests...

Grizzo

Creator is American for God rank ;)

And if you haven't seen the Lunares coins stuff yet you haven't finished the DLC. Check your flutter requests.

Alright thanks! I thought there was nothing after Chapter X2 but yeah there is still a Flutter request I haven't fulfilled yet

Linius

Alright thanks! I thought there was nothing after Chapter X2 but yeah there is still a Flutter request I haven't fulfilled yet

There was a prompt about me needing to visit Pam after the story was done. That's where the Lunares coins part comes.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Yeah it's from the person at Pam's. I think it's 12 gold coins off the top of my head.

Thanks for the info dude. So, presumably I need to be God rank in something for these quests...

Yeah, sorry, should've said creator/god.

taoofjord

I'm surprised I haven't seen a lot of talk about the music. Anyone else loving it? Sure, you hear the same tracks frequently but i suppose there isn't much they could do about it. The song that plays at Alfredo's restaurant is so good.

daydream

Banned
I'm surprised I haven't seen a lot of talk about the music. Anyone else loving it? Sure, you hear the same tracks frequently but i suppose there isn't much they could do about it. The song that plays at Alfredo's restaurant is so good.

We definitely talked about it but I agree, can't praise it enough. Will place highly in my SOTY vote, for sure.

Top Bottom