• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider

All you need to know:

USSLiAc.jpg

Although this might be more appropriate.

As for the combat: it really boils down to finding a profession that plays in a way you find fun. I'd recommend trying them all for a bit, seeing how they feel, if they're punchy enough, or if they give you enough depth to get involved with, or if you want something simple for a beginner, the Ranger is a great class to learn the ropes with.

I usually prefer quicker/agile classes. Think monk from Diablo 3.

Based on the first image though elementalist is the way to go... but then that 2nd image.. idk what to think. Need to meet some Mesmer's though ;)

Here's me killing a troll. A little boring though since that's a fair bit of the auto attack.

Here's a gaf group fighitng a fractal boss (thanks Ike)

Thanks. Idk wtf is going on in that 2nd video lol but it looks fun as hell. I also came across AngryJoe's review and he is selling it hard. I'm pretty much sold. 90% sure I'm gonna get this and start playing tomorrow.

Levyne

Banned
Let us know if you'd like a guild. We have a fair number of new players so plenty of new faces. And there's not a whole lot in the terms of "catching up" in the way GW2 is organized, so don't worry about any of that. We'd just need a character or account name. Even if just for people to talk to .

Emitan

Help. My engineer is level 63. I don't think I've ever leveled an alt this fast. Hopefully I can stop leveling alts and just stick with my engi. Really, really loving the class.

Strider

Yep. Sold. Downloading the game now. Thanks to those of you who answered my questions. I'll be sure to use the guides in the OP as well so I don't have too many going forward.

Let us know if you'd like a guild. We have a fair number of new players so plenty of new faces. And there's not a whole lot in the terms of "catching up" in the way GW2 is organized, so don't worry about any of that. We'd just need a character or account name. Even if just for people to talk to .

Yea I'd love to be in the Gaf guild. I'll look into this more tomorrow after I get started and play for a bit. Not sure if you guys use mumble or teamspeak usually but I already have mumble installed.

Avatar is exactly correct for Elementalist.

Just started watching that show recently on Amazon Prime and binged all the way through. Loved it.

Retro

Yep. Sold. Downloading the game now. Thanks to those of you who answered my questions. I'll be sure to use the guides in the OP as well so I don't have too many going forward.

Yea I'd love to be in the Gaf guild. I'll look into this more tomorrow after I get started and play for a bit. Not sure if you guys use mumble or teamspeak usually but I already have mumble installed.

We use Mumble, though we make of a server-wide Teamspeak server for World vs. World (since it's a server-wide effort, being able to talk to all commanders at once and such is vital).

And don't worry about asking questions. It's what we're here for and we don't mind in the slightest (also, we feed off live vicariously through the wonderment of new players).

New players who already have Mumble setup when they join the guild deserve a prize. It's a very convenient program to have for first time dungeon/fractal/guild mission runs.

The combat is a cooldown based tab target affair.

Here's me killing a troll. A little boring though since that's a fair bit of the auto attack.

There is always the action-packed warrior troll kill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MtORNplNHA

2 Fast 2 Furious.
"2" being Hundred Blades.

I do very little tab targeting, unless I am using a ranged weapon. The game allows for so much freedom in fighting. Bosses usually get targeted when they are alone, but multiple enemies means lining up cleave attacks to strike as many foes at once as I can, and autotargeting isn't friendly for that.

#1 skill is on my mouse 4 button, so my thumb just mashes it nonstop in most encounters.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Avatar is exactly correct for Elementalist.
definitely. mine even has white eyes. peculiar.

I feel like some classes could use a combo meter or something. when you get on a good roll as an ele it feels pretty amazing.

edit: i.e. not using the same skill twice in a row for a long stretch

Levyne

Banned
Finally finished the collections, armor pieces, coins (last 10 with a guide, shame.) Plenty of hours to be sunk to do everything in the last patch.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Sooo...Necromancers getting great sword, Rangers getting battle stances and Super Adventure Box coming back? Or just ANet accidentally teasing?

Cracklox

Hey GAF, does anyone else regularly get stuck at 99% when downloading updates?

So far I seem to have about a 50/50 success rate of downloading them properly. For instance I got the bigger update ok yesterday, I logged in today, there was a small update, which I've now been waiting for an hour and a half or so to finish. It also happened when I originally downloaded the game (frustration personified) and has happened with at least 1 other update since then. Maybe 2.

The FAQ on the site suggests a few things (restarting client in another language, waiting 10 minutes or so for a fail-safe to kick in etc) and googling suggests a few others having the same issue, with the same fixes suggested.

Obviously I have tried those things (numerous times) and still I wait. The last few times it happened I ended up leaving it to do something else and came back a few hours later and tried again and it was done. Doesn't seem like the best way to correct an issue that I'm not sure should be happening in the 1st place. Besides, its getting kinda late here and if it doesn't finish soon, no GW2 for me today. 1st world problems and all that...

Mainly just want to know if anyone has had it happen before and knows a surefire way to fix it, or better yet, knows how to prevent it happening in the 1st place? Or is it just something that's 'a part of playing an MMO' with downtimes and such that we just have to suck up?

Cracklox

And in.

Thanks Nemesis. Wasn't quite in the FAQ but pointed me in the right direction. Was somehow connected to my neighbours WIFI which is what I was connected to when I had the previous issues. I connected to my own network and it came through straight away.

Phew. I was THIS close to firing up Diablo 3 too. Now, I've got about an hour to smash out my dailies....

Finally did my first hiking puzzle run. Thanks to Emitan and Levyne for your help on the last milestone.

Should be fun to run it as a guild event and to try and stick together as much as possible so we are a conga line of people doing the puzzle at the same time.

Still kinda sad about not getting any real answers from the ending of these episodes. Hope they do episode 4 on the 16th and don't make us wait till next year for next update. I don't even mind it they push wintersday update to December 30th, or run it at the same time as Epsiode 4 on the 16th.

Waiting a whole month for all these loose ends they have left is gonna really ruin my enjoyment of this 2nd half.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I get the first and third references, but where did they hint at Rangers?

Something about Rox learning battle stances. Even though their chatter never hints at anything gameplay related, it's always fun to think that the dialogue is a tease for new game mechanics.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The three Priory explorers we've been following
that weren't in this release were stated on the official forums to have left behind journal pages at the waypoints in Dry Top. Apparently they have continued west of Dry Top- which could theoretically put them in Magus Falls, equivalent to one of my favorite areas in GW1.

Malyck, the Sylvari that was not born from the Pale Tree at all, left us like this in the PS:

"All the courtiers who encounter Malyck are defeated before being able to inform Faolain of his existence, and after their defeat, Malyck determines to head west, into Magus Falls, to find his people and tell them of the Grove, and to return with an army with which to fight the Elder Dragons."

I really hope Malyck and these other Sylvari that are not tied to the Dream, the Nightmare Court, or Soundless at all come into play during this story arc.

Still kinda sad about not getting any real answers from the ending of these episodes. Hope they do episode 4 on the 16th and don't make us wait till next year for next update. I don't even mind it they push wintersday update to December 30th, or run it at the same time as Epsiode 4 on the 16th.

Waiting a whole month for all these loose ends they have left is gonna really ruin my enjoyment of this 2nd half.
Speculation (rumors rumors rumors) is that they left it out short this second part of Season2 because of possible expansion tie in announcement.

Or not, and Anet is being Anet again.

As you are, mostly, well aware I'm new to the game & want to try different proffessions to see what stick. I got a guardian to lvl 14 and a Necromancer to 13 but neither those it for me, altho guardian is probably due to race choice. Started a Ranger will see if that does it for me. However I only have 2 character slot left and want to try the last 2 races Human and Charr.

Currently I have :

A Norn Ranger
A Asura Necro
A Silvari Guardian (altho I think I'll delete that & start a new Guardian, I am not into the Wood people art)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to try a Charr Warrior

What should the Human be?

I am leaning Engieneer but nothing is set in stone.

Opinions?

Mxrz

Courtyard is a clusterfuck of necro minions.

I'm all for deathmatch maps. But maybe look at all the issues GW1 had with things like that and act accordingly. Being able to turn off targeting of minion/clones would do wonders.

Opinions?

If you're looking for something tech you could try a Human Thief.
Or go for a Charr Engineer, and a Human Warrior.

stop using knockback when no one's asking for it :mad:

I imagine that must be frustrating for melee characters, but it's unavoidable in many situations. That's why melee have chaser moves, to get you back into range. For example, if I'm trying to build might for the people around me, I have to drop Big Ol Bomb which will do knockback. I consider giving people 9 - 12 stacks of might (especially when in spite of being in a group of 20 or more, nobody is giving ANY might), more important than the minor inconvenience of melee having to move closer or blow a chaser.

But Rangers doing that knockback on Longbow, just because pressing 1,2,3,4,5 is their derp rotation, yeah, that's dumb.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As you are, mostly, well aware I'm new to the game & want to try different proffessions to see what stick. I got a guardian to lvl 14 and a Necromancer to 13 but neither those it for me, altho guardian is probably due to race choice. Started a Ranger will see if that does it for me. However I only have 2 character slot left and want to try the last 2 races Human and Charr.

Currently I have :

A Norn Ranger
A Asura Necro
A Silvari Guardian (altho I think I'll delete that & start a new Guardian, I am not into the Wood people art)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to try a Charr Warrior

What should the Human be?

I am leaning Engieneer but nothing is set in stone.

Opinions?
If you'd like to be spoiled favorably, go with that Charr Warrior ;)
If you're looking for something tech you could try a Human Thief.
Or go for a Charr Engineer, and a Human Warrior.

I imagine that must be frustrating for melee characters, but it's unavoidable in many situations. That's why melee have chaser moves, to get you back into range. For example, if I'm trying to build might for the people around me, I have to drop Big Ol Bomb which will do knockback. I consider giving people 9 - 12 stacks of might (especially when in spite of being in a group of 20 or more, nobody is giving ANY might), more important than the minor inconvenience of melee having to move closer or blow a chaser.

But Rangers doing that knockback on Longbow, just because pressing 1,2,3,4,5 is their derp rotation, yeah, that's dumb.
In other words, it's worth it if the knockback/CC comes as result of a Blast finisher, otherwise it should be avoided if there are players in melee range, which there almost definitely will be. I've had to train myself to never use the Mesmer Greatsword 5 unless I'm solo or knockback is called for, even though I love it :D

Levyne

Banned
Now that longbow 4 has the little tell you can see the rangers doing it :p

Don't look at me though since I don't often run longbow.

It would be cute to see a premade group take on an enemy with no Defiance, using a highly coordinated system of knockbacks and pulls, to basically yoyo the enemy nonstop for a while.

Mxrz

Rangers are suppose to be high on the pve dps metric now cause of opening with rapid fire, no? Not sure what comes after that, but all the cool kids seem to think so.

Levyne

Banned
Rangers are suppose to be high on the pve dps metric now cause of opening with rapid fire, no? Not sure what comes after that, but all the cool kids seem to think so.

spirit

rampage

opening strike rapid fire

sword/axe

enlargement, zephyr

Edit: Being more serious, I should try using longbow more simply because the opportunity cost of not using it is probably quite high. I'm just not used to it, but really haven't made much of an effort to get used to it.

So used to having longbow in close meaning you're being an idiot, instead of it being the meta.

So used to having longbow in close meaning you're being an idiot, instead of it being the meta.

I'm so tempted now to change my 2nd ranger into a pure Short Bow / Longbow build, and figure out how to make that super-effective even in dungeon groups.

EDIT: Though it'd require running with people that understand ideally, the Ranger needs to pull using Longbow for max damage from Long Ranger Shot, while the enemy is approaching, use the time to mightstack. Point Blank Shot can even be used to give extra time for that, since it pushes back further the closer the target is.

I'd love to try a five-ranger party in Fractals, actually.

Crap. I need another character slot.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It would be cute to see a premade group take on an enemy with no Defiance, using a highly coordinated system of knockbacks and pulls, to basically yoyo the enemy nonstop for a while.
The current LS boss lacks it, and all AC story bosses at least

Yeah, I'm gonna try it. I never play my main Ranger anyway, might as well use him instead of growing a character from scratch just for the experiment. Gonna be weird to try and remember to always be behind my target, when not playing a Thief.

What does "Something tech" refers?

Tech here means "technical". The Thief is a great class, but rather unique in how it works. Instead of cooldown timers, the Thief skills use an "Initiative" bar, which fills up over time, and by using certain Traits or skills. As long as you have Initiative, you can spam the skills as fast as allowed.

Thieves do an incredible amount of damage, but the tradeoff being they're a bit glass cannon - high damage, but can't take a hit. To mitigate that, Thieves have the easiest access to Stealth, which makes your enemy drop target on you, and other players can't see you (if in WvW or PvP).

So, I consider the Thief, like the Mesmer, a Technical Class. Amazing once you get the hang of it, but a bit hard to get into the mindset required.

Time for my Level 80 Wall of Shame. I really need to give my alts some more love.

The current looks of the Brokenclaw brothers:

svpgLTr.jpg
EzeL535.jpg

Beast Brokenclaw - Engineer / Drask Brokenclaw - Ranger

93m6UcR.jpg
RrRfzo4.jpg

Bowser Brokenclaw - Warrior / Gahmeq Brokenclaw - Thief

NH6E16v.jpg
PdjG0e5.jpg

Bromus Brokenclaw - Mesmer / Sihr Brokenclaw - Elementalist

7M8wMUi.jpg
MWZJEMC.jpg

Mkima Brokenclaw - Necromancer / Remus Brokenclaw - Guardian

EDIT: Looking at the spread, I realize it's pretty obvious my favorite colours are red and blue. I think I need to rethink some outfits :p

I think Beast is the only character I've seen you play :p

Yup, Engineer 4 lyfe. The others I got to 80 rather quickly via a combination of stored level-up tomes (I think the Warrior went from 20 to 80 in one go), and stupid amounts of XP booster stacking (guild banner, food, xp booster, laurel xp booster, killstreak booster).

Thinking about it, if I've played my Engineer for 2131 hours of the total 2639 hours, that means I spent 508 hours getting the other 7 to level 80. That's an average of 72 hours per 80.

I have a level 60 Asura too, and I think three sub-30s I don't even look at.

It remains rather crazy just how easy and effortless it is to hit max level, almost a bit too fast sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom