• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 Month Later, Halo: MCC is still broken

CLEEK

I wouldn't say split screen performance is killer, either. I don't think it's reasonable to expect all of the games in this collection to run perfectly well in split screen.

lolwat?

If you're going to include an option - and advertise it as a feature - you make sure it works. Outside of matchmaking, split screen has the most issues, and most glaring performance problems and glitches and bugs.

I've said this a bunch of times, but look at how Nintendo handles their ports and remasters. There is zero possibility they would ship a game in this condition. This is the company that has spend more time on the 3DS port of Marjora's Mask then they spent making the original N64 game.

MS released MCC 3-6 months too soon to try and win BF and the all important holiday period. That's the reason the collection is so flawed.

Delt31

is this game ever going to allow dedicated halo 4 MP? All the find game options are halo 2, 3, etc. wtf....

I can't even get MP to work forget it.

Kssio_Aug

Youre right. And Im really done with it.
Its better... But not better enough. I want, at least, my SP working properly, and thats still not happening.

Magwik

Banned
is this game ever going to allow dedicated halo 4 MP? All the find game options are halo 2, 3, etc. wtf....
They're just trying to provide the best possible experience at the moment by limiting playlists
And by less Halo 4

algert

Banned
Anyone willing to share their secret to getting a refund? Did you need to tell CS you bought the game accidentally?

clownshoes early access release

and the fact that they are still going with their promotional timeline via halo 5 beta is kind of an insult, because, c'mon, that's not a beta so much as a glorified demo

LowSignal

I wish they would have done a spaced out digital release on single Halo titles and made sure they worked correctly. definitely disappointed it's still not running acceptably yet.

dakilla13

I thought they are using dedicated servers? It's still laggy as fuck. How was this game so much more playable in 2004, good job 343

How is it that the game is still being sold? Surely MS should be pulling it from shelves untill they can guarantee a reasonable product that doesnt require update after update.

Yagharek

How is it that the game is still being sold? Surely MS should be pulling it from shelves untill they can guarantee a reasonable product that doesnt require update after update.

MS have a track record for selling broken things in order to get good numbers before they admit there is a problem.

Good god, getting BF4 flashbacks with this. Sooo glad I waited on this. Will pick it up used in a bargain bin, though. It's a one-disc backlog.

Tain

lolwat?

If you're going to include an option - and advertise it as a feature - you make sure it works. Outside of matchmaking, split screen has the most issues, and most glaring performance problems and glitches and bugs.

If split-screen has big issues outside of merely running at a lower framerate (which, again, I think is reasonable given the majority of past split-screen first person shooters), I haven't heard about them. I haven't been following too closely online, though. I've only been going by what I've played.

Karl2177

The tone of that dude in the OP was pretty crappy.

The patch didn't do much for me. It kept throwing me in different lobbies before I got into another match.

New002

The game has actually been getting worse for me. I haven't been able to find a game the last few times I've tried. I just ended up giving up.

reKon

Banned
I had no idea about these issues. I don't own am Xbox One so that's probably why. I'm kind of tired of games shipping incomplete.

The game has actually been getting worse for me. I haven't been able to find a game the last few times I've tried. I just ended up giving up.
I was in the same boat and this seemed to fix it:
Try switching the xbox to powersaving instead of sleep and then completely power cycle it. This has worked for others. Everyone who has not tried this and can't get into games should try it. I am baffled as to why that even matters but it worked for me.

Wait, SWAT is the future of Halo?

SWAT is baby Halo. It's a niche playlist the same as Living Dead and Team Snipers.

By all means, have faster kill times and movement speed. But take the shields away and the game may as well play itself.

Still amazed that people truly think Halo 5 will have problems.

I guarantee Halo 5 will launch without a single major hitch. 100%. As I've said many times, 343 don't have an issue launching agame themselves. Halo 4, for all it's flaws, was a completely solid working online experience and that's despite NO beta.

The problems only arise when 343 outsource. Again, only when they outsource.

Halo CE Anniversary (Sabre): Broken co-op
Halo MCC (Sabre/Ruffian/Certain Affinity/United Front): Just about broken everything
Halo 4 (343): Worked fine

Halo 5 won't have an issue. If you want to skip Halo 5 because you don't like the direction it's going, or because you don't think it will be any good, no worries. But to avoid Halo 5 because you think it might be broken too is being willfully ignorant and ignoring all the inof at your disposal.

Not only did 343 launch Halo 4 wihtout a problem, Halo 5 will have a beta almost a year out from the game's launch.

Why do they deserve the benefit of the doubt? 343 is the division which manages everything to do with Halo, and so far every game under their stewardship has had significant issues. I don't care if other companies developed MCC; 343 were producing it all and it's their responsibility to make sure it works. It's their name on the box so they get at least as much blame as individual developers.

Why do they deserve the benefit of the doubt? 343 is the division which manages everything to do with Halo, and so far every game under their stewardship has had significant issues. I don't care if other companies developed MCC; 343 were producing it all and it's their responsibility to make sure it works. It's their name on the box so they get at least as much blame as individual developers.

Relax bro. Halo 5 will be fine.

Darklord

Banned
Still amazed that people truly think Halo 5 will have problems.

I guarantee Halo 5 will launch without a single major hitch. 100%. As I've said many times, 343 don't have an issue launching agame themselves. Halo 4, for all it's flaws, was a completely solid working online experience and that's despite NO beta.

The problems only arise when 343 outsource. Again, only when they outsource.

Halo CE Anniversary (Sabre): Broken co-op
Halo MCC (Sabre/Ruffian/Certain Affinity/United Front): Just about broken everything
Halo 4 (343): Worked fine

Halo 5 won't have an issue. If you want to skip Halo 5 because you don't like the direction it's going, or because you don't think it will be any good, no worries. But to avoid Halo 5 because you think it might be broken too is being willfully ignorant and ignoring all the inof at your disposal.

Not only did 343 launch Halo 4 wihtout a problem, Halo 5 will have a beta almost a year out from the game's launch.

Actually, the biggest issue was Halo: MC was that Microsoft made them rush it and push it out unfinished. Patrick Klepek confirmed it on the latest bombcast after being told by obviously a contact at 343. If they try and do the same thing with Halo 5 then it very much will be having similar issues.

Some people should be losing their jobs over this. To me, 343i has no credibility as a developer.
Oh spare us please. The kind of crap you're spewing is ignorant bs. This isn't one single game they developed from the ground up. It's four different games being redone, with different code, outsourced to multiple developers, and slapped together in a short amount of time for microsoft. Be mad at microsoft, not 343.

dwells

Yeah guys, 343i is totally responsible for this mess. I'm sure they lied to Microsoft and assure them the game was working properly and MS released the game. Totally 343i's fault.
Oh spare us please. The kind of crap you're spewing is ignorant bs. This isn't one single game they developed from the ground up. It's four different games being redone, with different code, outsourced to multiple developers, and slapped together in a short amount of time for microsoft. Be mad at microsoft, not 343.

343i are the ones who:
  • Didn't answer major questions about the game during development (versions ported, netcode adjustments, etc.).
  • Released little to no information about the details of the game during development.
  • Constantly told us bugs and other issues were due to "old builds." Whenever anything went wrong and anyone expressed concern, "oh, it's an old build, don't worry."
  • Went back on all of the promises they made at the reveal. 1080p? Not quite. 60FPS? Sure, if you ignore all the drops and borderline unplayable splitscreen. Exactly as you remember it? Depends on if you remember broken ports of PC games and incorrect settings.
  • Told us we'd be getting the Halo 2 ranking system back, then revealed it was actually going to be a new system to resemble the H2 one. Oh, and it won't be ready.
  • Wouldn't show any gameplay of Halo 3 or Halo 1 until right before launch (presumably because those games weren't functioning).
  • Had broken, crashing, buggy builds running at tournaments. So much so that gameplay was interrupted on multiple occasions for pro teams.
  • Put together a masturbatory vidoc about how great they were and how great this collection is.
  • Seemingly have no issue with Dan Ayoub, their executive producer and initial face of the game, to go from being active in promoting the game to disappearing entirely off of Twitter as of two days after launch. His name was signed to one of the awful PR-speak apologies which insulted customers with language like "some users" experiencing "longer than normal" matchmaking times when the game wasn't functioning at all, but he's been absent otherwise.
So I think there's plenty of reason to be upset at 343i. Plenty of blame can get thrown at the studios responsible for the sloppy ports, and I'm sure MS's hands are dirty in rushing this out the door (not to mention continuing to advertise and promote it), but 343i is about as far from innocent as possible.

AHindD

It's shit like this that has pushed me to play almost exclusively on the wii u, with the odd pc only strategy/online games here and there.

It amazes me that Nintendo has managed to launch both Mario kart 8 and super smash with fully functioning multiplayer on day 1. Sure these titles may not have the population of something like halo, but I'm sure it's substantial enough. This is keeping in mind that Nintendo is relatively new to online gaming, unlike Microsoft who have 10ish years of so called experience.

RdN

343i are the ones who:
  • Didn't answer major questions about the game during development (versions ported, netcode adjustments, etc.).
  • Released little to no information about the details of the game during development.
  • Constantly told us bugs and other issues were due to "old builds." Whenever anything went wrong and anyone expressed concern, "oh, it's an old build, don't worry."
  • Went back on all of the promises they made at the reveal. 1080p? Not quite. 60FPS? Sure, if you ignore all the drops and borderline unplayable splitscreen. Exactly as you remember it? Depends on if you remember broken ports of PC games and incorrect settings.
  • Told us we'd be getting the Halo 2 ranking system back, then revealed it was actually going to be a new system to resemble the H2 one. Oh, and it won't be ready.
  • Wouldn't show any gameplay of Halo 3 or Halo 1 until right before launch (presumably because those games weren't functioning).
  • Had broken, crashing, buggy builds running at tournaments. So much so that gameplay was interrupted on multiple occasions for pro teams.
  • Put together a masturbatory vidoc about how great they were and how great this collection is.
  • Seemingly have no issue with Dan Ayoub, their executive producer and initial face of the game, to go from being active in promoting the game to disappearing entirely off of Twitter as of two days after launch. His name was signed to one of the awful PR-speak apologies which insulted customers with language like "some users" experiencing "longer than normal" matchmaking times when the game wasn't functioning at all, but he's been absent otherwise.
So I think there's plenty of reason to be upset at 343i. Plenty of blame can get thrown at the studios responsible for the sloppy ports, and I'm sure MS's hands are dirty in rushing this out the door (not to mention continuing to advertise and promote it), but 343i is about as far from innocent as possible.

This nails the problem right in the head.

For two times now, with Halo 4 and TMMC, we've been fooled by 343i's "Trust us". In both cases, the letdown has been enormous.

I can honestly say that I learned my lesson. I will play the Halo 5 Beta and see how it goes, but I, in no way, will buy Halo 5 at it's launch, much less pre order it.

343i lost all the good faith it had with two subpar offerings. if Halo 5 fails, this studio will have run to the ground, in 3 years, what took Bungie a decade to build.

Akai__

so wait, Halo MCC was outsourced to different studios?

- Blur Studios made cutscenes for H2A
- Certain Affinity made Halo 2 Anniversary MP
- Saber Interactive made the remastered graphics for H2A campaign
- Ruffian Games ported Halo 3 and Halo 4
- United Front made the UI

Anything I missed?

343i lost all the good faith it had with two subpar offerings. if Halo 5 fails, this studio will have run to the ground, in 3 years, what took Bungie a decade to build.

Sorry, but you are pretty delusional if you think this. Halo 4 was sold over 11 million times. Literally nobody cares about the (hard)core players anymore. It's all about catering to the the casuals, in order to make a shitload of money.

Only thing I could see happening is, that sales don't meet expectations, because the Xbox One user base isn't that large yet.

Great post. Completetly agree.

- Blur Studios made cutscenes for H2A
- Certain Affinity made Halo 2 Anniversary MP
- Saber Interactive made the remastered graphics for H2A campaign
- Ruffian Games ported Halo 3 and Halo 4
- United Front made the UI

Anything I missed?

343 did the netcode.

Top Bottom