• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers new trailer.

PolyGone said:
I don't recall bashing Rogue Squadron (aside from the foot missions, which really do look terrible). Reading comprehension, do you have it?

Sorry, my mistake. Thought I mantain what I said about Rebel Strike graphics vs FF:CB graphics.

FFCC looks better than Kawazu's PS2 games imo. Though Romancing SaGa is close.

Such an accomplishment, considering Wii it's way more powerful that a PS2.

Seriously I was expecting a lot more, seeing all the development time behind this title, it's like they slapped a PS2 engine and call it a day.

Jaded Alyx said:
Well there you go.
:lol

You've became one of my favorite faces to see in the gaming side.

I still think this game looks hot. But a few GCN games looked fucking awesome last gen. There are a few that shit all over your big Xbox releases. Chaos Theory and Riddick were the two prettiest Xbox games I played. This isn't meant to stir shit. Really guys. The Xbox had more power under the hood, but the GCN kept pace regardless.

Last gen spoiled me. All I've seen on my 360 is refinement of what was already pretty last gen.

markatisu

Relaxed Muscle said:
Sorry, my mistake. Thought I mantain what I said about Rebel Strike graphics vs FF:CB graphics.

Seriously I was expecting a lot more, seeing all the development time behind this title, it's like they slapped a PS2 engine and call it a day.

So its shipping next week huh? If its got another year or so in development why should we believe this is all that we get for graphics?

How do we know how much development time has been put into it, people here went apeshit and cried when EGM said the game was cancelled and Square was silent until the guy who runs G_O_Nintendo actually contacted them about the cancellation rumors

Threi

notag
Cow Mengde said:
Maybe on hardware they're familiar with. On the the GameCube/Wii? No.

chronicles_screen004.jpg
i didn't know FFCC had that much thong/boob action

*raises eyebrow*

jarrod

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:

I was talking FFCC GC. Though I didn't consider FFXII, but really Kawazu just inherited that.

Threi said:

*raises eyebrow*
Damn, knew I should have picked this up. >_>

Would have gotten it if it weren't for that retarded GBA connection system.

markatisu

Black-Wind said:
Damn, knew I should have picked this up. >_>

Would have gotten it if it weren't for that retarded GBA connection system.

You did not need the GBA connection to actually play the game

markatisu said:
You did not need the GBA connection to actually play the game
I know, I remember hearing how fun it was to play with friends so I thought it would be something cool to get with my friends till I fond out about the GBA shit >_>

I was still interested before I heard from a class mate that its mainly only fun with other people playing with you.

Black-Wind said:
I know, I remember hearing how fun it was to play with friends so I thought it would be something cool to get with my friends till I fond out about the GBA shit >_>

I was still interested before I heard from a class mate that its mainly only fun with other people playing with you.

Pretty much, but graphics and the BSO it's so fucking beautiful that it's worth giving it a try.

CTLance

Threi said:

*raises eyebrow*
Selkies are the fanservice race. ;)

I'd give an arm and a leg for a Wii rerelease with DS support - or even better, without the need for extra hardware. It's not really all that fun alone, but the few times I got multiplayer going we had quite a bit of fun.

Cow Mengde said:
Maybe on hardware they're familiar with. On the the GameCube/Wii? No.

FFCC is not even close. I even took the best screen I can find for FFCC to compare. Crystal Bearer doesn't even come close to Rebel Strike even on the slightly more powerful Wii.
6phe71s.png

8g8af7p.png

8a1baqf.png

6tc5czp.png

You're welcome. And no, I'm not trying to ridicule you or anything, just providing some screenshots for a fair comparison.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Black-Wind said:

I loved it and finished it by playing only solo, but those times where I had access to GBA link cables and other people where awesome. Crystal Chronicles was probably the best integration of GBA and GCN after Four Swords Adventures.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I've watched the trailer way too many times. :D

EDIT: The water, from what we've seen in the trailer, looks fugly compared to the original FFCC o_O

batbeg

Prime Blue said:
You're welcome. And no, I'm not trying to ridicule you or anything, just providing some screenshots for a fair comparison.

Do you have a picture of the boat? I <3 that fucking boat.

FFCC is the best looking GCN game in my opinion, fantastic art, gorgeous visuals, impressive effects, and the music makes it all the more beautiful.

Fantastical said:
I wish someone would translate it.
Those who translated what the main character said at the very end could at least translate some more of it...

please..? someone? >.>

Prax

What sucked about FFCC is how you can screw yourself over and trap your newer, weaker party members if your veteran team beats the beginning areas too many times. XD

I remember my siblings and I valiantly trying to defeat the first crab boss (who was now levelled up to the 3rd degree or something) with new characters (we were trying to fill the town and play as different races..), but to no avail. *sigh* We were thiiiiiiiis close though, I swear~!

Then we gave up.

Now my brother's musing about buying 3 copies of Echoes of time just to play together. X| Owning 3 copies of a game though...???

CTLance

batbeg said:

FFCC is the best looking GCN game in my opinion, fantastic art, gorgeous visuals, impressive effects, and the music makes it all the more beautiful.
For some reason I absolutely adore the Miasma repulsion effect. I know it's not particularly poly heavy or anything, but that swirling doom around the player character and the whole mood...

But yes, FF:CC reached that perfect blend between artwork and actual implementation in the game that only few games manage to achieve.

Fantastical said:

EDIT: The water, from what we've seen in the trailer, looks fugly compared to the original FFCC o_O
Well you need to consider that you couldn't actually go into the water in FFCC like the water in The Crystal Bearers that you can swim in or adjust the cameras to look around it.

batbeg said:

I'm pretty sure this is what you are talking about:

2mh24j.png

2cgndhy.png

whigd4.png

Doogdogg

Fantastical said:

Original FFCC you got a fix camera within a small environment now you got a full blown world on a different scale. That's the big differences.

EDarkness

Doogdogg said:
Original FFCC you got a fix camera within a small environment now you got a full blown world on a different scale. That's the big differences.

I was just about to post something like this. Not only that, but who knows when this game is coming out. My guess is it'll be released sometime this year, and even then that's probably just Japan. In my opinion, for a Wii game it looks great. Hell, just the fact that everything has a real shadow instead of a circle is a major improvement. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the game.

IDK what the big deal is with the graphics. The IGN vid looks nice and the game has a good bit more oven time before it's released.

It looks like it could very well get up to SMG/ MH3 level by the end of the year or w/e it comes out.

+1 to "best-looking GC game" maybe not from a technical perspective (though still awesome there) but the game is just oozing with beautiful style. And it still has my favorite water graphics of any game I've ever seen or played.

Rezbit

You know, I kind of wish we had a FFCC that was essentially just like the original, only slightly tinkered with. Online, no extras required, and MUST KEEP THE BUCKET. I miss the bucket.

birdchili

i never played cc, but a local multiplayer wii rpg could do really well methinks. there's a vast untapped market for substantive long-play wii games that let people game co-op couchside.

Kandinsky

Rezbit said:
You know, I kind of wish we had a FFCC that was essentially just like the original, only slightly tinkered with. Online, no extras required, and MUST KEEP THE BUCKET. I miss the bucket.
Been saying this for a while, it is my prime candidate for a wiimake, make it happen SE!

EDarkness

Rezbit said:

If they do anything like that and make people carry the "shoe", then I'm not picking the game up. The idea sounds interesting on paper, but sucks in practice.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
+1 Bucket fan. It keeps everyone together and adds a bit of difficulty to some already challenging boss fights.

Also while the beautiful water posted so far does a good job of showing off FF:CC, it's still nothing compared to how awesome some of the later levels look.

I've played through FF:CC at least five different times with twenty or so different people, including the last time using four tvs with gcn players and a motherfucking projector. What a way to play.

You could remake FF:CC online, you'd just have to make DSs and Wiispeak mandatory.

markatisu

Rezbit said:

Oh fuck no, that bucket was probably the 2nd worst thing in the game behind the fact that the GBA multiplayer was a pain in the ass.

I was so happy when the bucket went bye bye for FFCC Ring of Fates on the DS

That fucking bucket was awful

jman2050

As good as FFCC was, it wasn't even the best 4-player coop adventure game on the Gamecube. That goes to FOur Swords

Damnit Nintendo, where's my Four Swords DS. It would be so perfect :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I liked the bucket. :/

robor said:
Does anyone know if Kumi Tanioka is involved in this project? I loved her music in the original.

She is, though it seems this soundtrack will be more similar to her work in Final Fantasy XI than the one in Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.

CTLance said:
Yay.
The music in CC was phenomenal. Kaze no ne is love. Even if the music is taken in another direction I hope that genius shines through again.
I always felt that the traditional instruments made FFCC's soundtrack. They didn't provide much listening diversity but were a perfect match for the whole fairy tale setting. As later titles lost that kind of atmosphere, more and more modern instruments and new-age synthesizers were introduced.

The big surprise is that most of FFCC's music was completely sequenced, so it really is a great technical accomplishment for its time. I wish Nintendo (even though they are the masters of dynamic sequenced music) had as much skill in programming sound banks as SQUARE ENIX does.

PS: I also called him Waigel.

Regulus Tera said:
She is, though it seems this soundtrack will be more similar to her work in Final Fantasy XI than the one in Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.
Where did you hear that she was involved? Hidenori Iwasaki (co-composer for FFCC) was announced to be this game's composer in 2007. I guess Kumi Tanioka could still be involved, but the trailer music definitely is not in her style.

Kandinsky said:
Been saying this for a while, it is my prime candidate for a wiimake, make it happen SE!
It's a terrible candidate for a Wiimake.

You'd have to get rid of GBA's functions, totally redo them, or have the DS do them.

All three of these as mix and match options would be fine, but that's probably more work than SE would like to do for a budget port.

Synless

you could play the original CC without the GBA's??? I didn't buy it for that reason, I was misinformed and I feel ripped off now!!

Top Bottom