• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers new trailer.

Aru

Aeana said:
ATB isn't turn-based.

T = turn.
So yes, ATB is turn-based. I'm sorry but ATB never was a real time battle system.

You still have to wait for your turn to come in order to play. So it's turn based.

Aeana

Aru said:
T = turn.
So yes, ATB is turn-based. I'm sorry but ATB never was a real time battle system.

You still have to wait for your turn to come in order to play. So it's turn based.

The T in ATB stands for time. There's more out there besides 100% action and 100% turn-based. Turn-based would be FF1-3, Dragon Quest or FF10. Action is something like Tales. ATB is somewhere in between. If you sit there at the menu without inputting commands, the enemies aren't going to wait for you to take your turn, so it's not strictly turn-based. :)

ATB is technically not very different from an action game where your abilities have cooldowns -- it's just flipped around. The difference is, of course, that in an ATB system, you have to go through a menu. So ATB is semi-active, and menu-driven.

Aru

Aeana said:
The T in ATB stands for time.

Hey, you're right about that. My mistake :p

But many people keep saying that ATB = real time, and it pains me to see this because it's not true.
It's more like you say, an hybrid system.

Well, I forgot to talk about the trailer in my last post :lol.
I'm a bit surprised, the game doesn't look as good as I expected. It doesn't seem more beautiful than FFXII.
Gameplay wise, it looks cool.

I'm not jumping on the hype train. I'll just wait & see.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Aeana said:
The T in ATB stands for time. There's more out there besides 100% action and 100% turn-based. Turn-based would be FF1-3, Dragon Quest or FF10. Action is something like Tales. ATB is somewhere in between. If you sit there at the menu without inputting commands, the enemies aren't going to wait for you to take your turn, so it's not strictly turn-based. :)

While 100% true, it doesn't change the fact that ATB is a turn-based battle system.

ATB is technically not very different from an action game where your abilities have cooldowns -- it's just flipped around. The difference is, of course, that in an ATB system, you have to go through a menu. So ATB is semi-active, and menu-driven.
I'm not really sure how ATB and "an action game with cooldown" are comparable at all. Unlike the ATB system, a real time system allows you to make other actions (such as movement) that don't cost a turn during the "cooldown".

Aeana

grandjedi6 said:
While 100% true, it doesn't change the fact that ATB is a turn-based battle system.

Turn-based means that you take turns. It may be a little easier for ATB to pass itself off as turn-based in earlier versions, but I don't know how you can say that what's in FF10-2 or the FF13 trailer is strictly turn-based. Based on charge time of the abilities you choose, the moment you use them, and your stats, you can act many times more often than the enemy, especially if you're interrupting or canceling their attacks. It's a charge-time (or cooldown) based system.

Like I said to Aru, there is a gulf of hybridity between turn-based and real-time.

I'm not really sure how ATB and "an action game with cooldown" are comparable at all. Unlike the ATB system, a real time system allows you to make other actions (such as movement) that don't cost a turn during the "cooldown".

That's why I said "technically." I was strictly talking about attacking. Remove movement and dodging and all of that from the equation. If there was an RPG where you could attack any time you wanted to by pressing a button, but couldn't move around the battlefield or dodge, would you call it turn-based?

duckroll said:
Doesn't look fun to me at all. Pretty terrible really. Carrying shit and throwing it around. Yuck. I like my action RPGs to have characters with weapons. :/

Both Ring of Fate and Echoes of Time has this feature so I kinda expected Crystal Bearer to have it too.

Just wanted to say, Crystal Chronicles GET!

CrystalChroniclesGet.jpg

M3d10n

Haven't played FFX-2, but in previous ATB FF games I never saw two actions ever be performed at the same time so it is turn-based, but the turn order is dynamic. One could say it's queue based instead.

Dascu

Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
Combat seems to be pretty shallow so far, maybe I'm wrong but it makes stuff like Tales look really deep.
Using enviroments and enemies as attacks against eachother is shallow now?

KrawlMan

:D :D :D

Finally! I've been waiting for even the smallest bit of new media since the last trailer was shown (2 years ago :( ). I'm pretty excited about the picking up / tossing of characters and objects, but I'm hoping there's a lot more to it than whats been shown.

I agree with some of the earlier posts about wanting weapons. A gun (like the one in the trailer ;) ) would work perfectly with the wii mote.

It's still, in all formalities aside, a turn-based system, no matter how you slice it. You wait, you do a move, you wait, you doa move, you wait. It's just like Chrono Trigger, but with a little bit more involvement in the actual event of attacking.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
Combat seems to be pretty shallow so far, maybe I'm wrong but it makes stuff like Tales look really deep.

You gotta be really stretching for trolls.

jarrod

Banned
Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
Compared to what? Other Square ARPGs like Mana, Musashi and Kingdom Hearts? :lol

SilverLunar said:
They are the best when it comes to presentation, the games they make looks top notch on any platform, you can't say they don't o_O

-it is an opinion, but it has some truth to it.

Maybe on hardware they're familiar with. On the the GameCube/Wii? No.

chronicles_screen004.jpg

rs2rebelstrike051403gcnif5.jpg

920789_20050104_screen006.jpg

starfox_screen019.jpg

FFCC is not even close. I even took the best screen I can find for FFCC to compare. Crystal Bearer doesn't even come close to Rebel Strike even on the slightly more powerful Wii.

Cow Mengde said:

FFCC is not even close. I even took the best screen I can find for FFCC to compare. Crystal Bearer doesn't even come close to Rebel Strike even on the slightly more powerful Wii.

You've shown 4 games with very different graphical styles. I think all of those games look great and FF:CC doesn't look worse than the others.

Cow Mengde said:

This is Square-Enix you're talking about. The biggest console graphics whores, second only to Rare.

The gameplay might suck; the storyline might suck; even the music might suck, but SE won't release a game they're serious about unless it's pretty.

Haunted

Vinci said:
Calling the combat shallow before we know a damn thing about it? Nice.
I bet the story sucks too.
well, actually....

I kid. But this is a FF game we're talking about here.

Vinci

Danish
Haunted said:
well, actually....

I kid. But this is a FF game we're talking about here.

I know, but I'm assuming that I'm talking to people who actually think FF stories are good. I think they're generally shit, but I was playing to my possible audience. :lol

Eteric Rice

The story at least sounds pretty unique for a FF game. I mean, the main character is a super hero type who can summon a giant fuck gun.

What isn't to love?

Vinci

Danish
Eteric Rice said:
The story at least sounds pretty unique for a FF game. I mean, the main character is a super hero type who can summon a giant fuck gun.

What isn't to love?

Oh, I'm loving the character. I just don't generally enjoy stories in the FF series. Any FF series. But the character? I'm good.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Let's wait for a direct feed video and screenshots before we go around complaining about the game's graphics. Chocobo's Dungeon was actually a pretty good looking Wii game, and has been mentioned, Square has some technical wizards.

Let's wait for a direct feed video and screenshots before we go around complaining about the game's graphics.

That video IS direct feed.

I'm just laughing at people who somehow believe SE are tech wizards when all they did was use a lot of pre-rendered shit back in the PS1 days.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cow Mengde said:
That video IS direct feed.

I'm just laughing at people who somehow believe SE are tech wizards when all they did was use a lot of pre-rendered shit back in the PS1 days.

You're trusting YouTube to preserve quality? It's gotten decent but there's better alternatives (as in, let's wait for GameTrailers.) In addition, it has the user's logo on it, so we know he's tampered with it a little.

The video could be a 100% accurate representation of the graphics, but I don't think it is. When Echoes of Time releases elsewhere, I'm positive the trailer will look better when seen with your own eyes on your own TV.

markatisu

Cow Mengde said:

Have you even played FFCC on the Gamecube? it was a extremely beautiful looking game.

Also using Factor 5 in any graphics discussion is unfair, they were able to do both at launch and later in the life of the Gamecube what most companies could not.

They were the only people in my mind that could rival Nintendo in exploiting the hardware, so they are the exception in any graphics dicussion.

Andrex said:
You're trusting YouTube to preserve quality? It's gotten decent but there's better alternatives (as in, let's wait for GameTrailers.) .
We got IGN.

Black-Wind said:
IGN has a clean version up now (^_^)

I really like this vid . . .the mucis is shit and I have no idea wth they would choose that (or the white outline thing . . . CHANGE IT!) but I like what I see!

Seems like my fears may have been realized . . . people looked over my post cause it was at the buttom of the page. >_>

J-Rock

Banned
Limedust said:
If anybody is looking for a cheap, mint copy of the first FF:CC on Gamecube, I have one available.

How much?

I'd like to buy it so that I can set it on fire in my backyard.

PolyGone

Banned
Cow Mengde said:

Uh, no. FF:CC is definitely one of the best looking games on the system, this is from someone who owns and has played all the games you posted... and besides your screenshot for CC has crazy jpeg artifacts. It has depth of field, amazing water effects, heat blur, nice specular highlights on certain textures, besides beautiful enemies and environments, and had moogles with fur that you can cut or spray paint.

And secondly, how can you even compare a game like Rebel Strike to Crystal Bearers? Rebel Strike doesn't have any real physics going on, and the on-foot missions look like ass compared to it.

Rebel Strike doesn't have any real physics going on, and the on-foot missions look like ass compared to it.

Really? Let's forget all the things Rebel Strike does over FF:CB (Self Shadowing, bump mapping, 60fps, 24 bit textures, etc...) just because foot mission and lack of last gen physics.

It's a new kind of trend to bash GC graphical showcases to defend Wii games?.

eXistor

Hmm, I really don't know what to think of this. The trailer didn't make the game seem fun at all, but it is...different I suppose. Maybe that's a good thing?

PolyGone

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Really? Let's forget all the things Rebel Strike does over FF:CB (Self Shadowing, bump mapping, 60fps, 24 bit textures, etc...) just because foot mission and lack of last gen physics.

It's a new kind of trend to bash GC graphical showcases to defend Wii games?.

I don't recall bashing Rogue Squadron (aside from the foot missions, which really do look terrible). Reading comprehension, do you have it?

Phthisis said:
Don't know if anybody has pointed this out, but it looks like Square ripped the main character's model and animations straight from Johnny from Shadow Hearts: From the New World. It's uncanny (obviously there are a couple changes, but it's pretty similar).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYRwufJHJsY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JekKYMWjtM

Ehh, besides them both being blond I don't really see the similarities...there's only so many ways you can make a running animation too and the animation is a lot smooth in TCB

Top Bottom