• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why no advance wars 3ds?

Man I love these games, they we're the first strategy games I got into. Loved the way you could pay with 4 people using 1 cartridge. It seems like they were coming out regularly up until like'08, not sure what happened after that.

TheMoon

Because Intelligent Systems is busy making other games. They can't make 10 games at once. Also it's never been a huge seller.

IntSys' output in reverse since the last AW (2008):
Code Name S.T.E.A.M.
Pushmo World
Game & Wario
Daigasso Band Bros. P
Crashmo
Fire Emblem Awakening
Paper Mario Sticker Star
Culdcept
Pushmo
Dragon Quest Collection 25th Anniversary
Fire Emblem 12
WarioWare DIY
Spotto!
Link 'n' Launch
Eco Shooter
Dragon Quest Wars
WarioWare Snapped!
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

They've kept busy. AW is just taking a break.

Why no Battalion Wars Wii U? :(

Because Headstrong is busy making 100 Art Academy games.

JordanN

Banned
It will be turned into a Waifu simulator to make up for sales like Fire Emblem.

Still want it

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Intelligent Systems was busy making Fire Emblem: Awakening, Pushmo, Crashmo, Pushmo World, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Game & Wario and now Code Name S.T.E.A.M and SMT x FE.

Maybe next gen, or maybe part of the team has already started working on one for the 3DS. It'd be nice.

Vaddon

Advance Wars is great but I'm not too bothered about the lack of a 3DS entry really, Intelligent Systems' 3DS output has been largely stellar. I'm also happy that they're testing out new ideas and creating new IP's. I imagine another entry will come along eventually, probably just taking a break or something due to their prolific output.

However...

Why no Battalion Wars Wii U? :(

This is what I'd really love. C'mon Headstrong, Art Academy can take a break. :p

yatesl

Legit suggestion: You should track down a copy of Ghost Recon Shadow Wars. The GR name damaged that game's image, as it's a fire emblem/advance wars type game.

Because the developers are busy making bullshit like Codename Steam.

Legit suggestion: You should track down a copy of Ghost Recon Shadow Wars. The GR name damaged that game's image, as it's a fire emblem/advance wars type game.

There are quite a bunch of turn-based strategy games on DS+3DS, but honestly, none of them, including Fire Emblem, can live up to Advance Wars. I enjoyed Shadow Wars quite a lot once it started getting serious, but it got nothing on Dark Conflict for the DS.

jaina

Besides IS being busy with other games, this recent thread shows that none of the Advance Wars games reached 1 million sales, so there isn't any pressure to get the next title out. Fire Emblem sells a little better.

E92 M3

Project STEAM looks very boring and it upset me greatly that it wasn't a new AW game.

-

I did stop honestly, felt like a lost cause.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahh, fans of a game of a dev shitting on another of a dev

Why are AW fans like this? Another is the (mediocre) Golden Sun fans.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
The lack of Advance Wars wouldn't be so bad if there were games out there that played remotely similar to them...but there are almost none.

Reminds me of a recent-ish thread where someone was looking for alternatives to AW and everyone posted SRPGs.

G.ZZZ

The worst thing is that the best AW was the last one, so it feel like they finally got the gameplay perfect and then left in the dust. Biblethump

Funnily enough, I've been thinking the same as I've picked up Days of Ruin. Again.

Why are AW fans like this? Another is the (mediocre) Golden Sun fans.

Yup. They're giving us great Golden Sun fans a bad rep. Can't have mediocre fans represent that amazing franchise.

Why are AW fans like this?

You're saying because we like one game series of a developer we must automatically look forward to and enjoy all of their other games as well? Or am I misunderstanding you? Because that's not how the world works and not how it should work.

Seems like they should of just turned the series into digital series considering poor sales

Small dev team, improve on dual strike engine, totally new storyline and added 3d

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You're saying because we like one game series of a developer we must automatically look forward to and enjoy all of their other games as well? Or am I misunderstanding you? Because that's not how the world works and not how it should work.

Nah you twisted my sentiment. I keep noticing that they are very salty towards other games released within their discussions.

And that's not even going on about the whining during Smash time.

Funnily enough, I've been thinking the same as I've picked up Days of Ruin. Again.

Yup. They're giving us great Golden Sun fans a bad rep. Can't have mediocre fans represent that amazing franchise.

oh u

Garou

Project STEAM looks very boring and it upset me greatly that it wasn't a new AW game.

-

I did stop honestly, felt like a lost cause.

Project STEAM is the kind of game where 3 years from now people will clamor to it as a hidden gem that is in dire need of a physical reprint and that needs a sequel because it was totally underappreciated.

Or maybe not, playing the game first might be a good idea before judging I guess.

Squishy3

Seems like they should of just turned the series into digital series considering poor sales

Small dev team, improve on dual strike engine, totally new storyline and added 3d
They'll return to Advance Wars again when the time is right, we just aren't going to see it for awhile because of Codename S.T.E.A.M and then Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei (I BELIEVE) after that.

I would much rather they return to Paper Mario than Advance Wars, honestly. Advance Wars didn't get it's entire soul sucked out of it with Days of Ruin, while Sticker Star removed everything good about Paper Mario.

MilesTeg

Banned
I already feel bad for IS because Code Name Steam is gonna bomb really hard. I mean I guess it has the benefit of releasing on a console where there isn't much happening at the moment in terms of new releases, but it's pretty clear that there is zero hype surrounding the game. Unfortunate because it will probably be a good game. I can't even say I'll be getting it to be honest.

I would really like a new Advance Wars. Only played the first game but I really liked it.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It's always funny to me when we see threads about Nintendo like this.

"Why isn't Nintendo making X franchise again!?" Then you get the other threads about Nintendo's lack of new IPs.

Also, from what I saw of the almost hour long gameplay demo at E3, Code Name STEAM looks really interesting--it's received mostly positive previews too from the press. I'm looking forward to playing it in March.

I'd like a new Advanced Wars game too, but I'm not going to dismiss Code Name S.T.E.A.M. that easily either.

I already feel bad for IS because Code Name Steam is gonna bomb really hard. I mean I guess it has the benefit of releasing on a console where there isn't much happening at the moment in terms of new releases, but it's pretty clear that there is zero hype surrounding the game. Unfortunate because it will probably be a good game. I can't even say I'll be getting it to be honest.

I would really like a new Advance Wars. Only played the first game but I really liked it.
It'll bomb and then people will get what they want, for IS to never earn the right at a new IP again.

MechaX

WTF? Bullshit? This game is getting the most ridiculously undeserved bad rap.

It's a shame, because the game itself sounds like it could be pretty interesting. But that art-style is unequivocally atrocious, which is a lot of what people are going to see about the game for the most part.

E92 M3

Project STEAM is the kind of game where 3 years from now people will clamor to it as a hidden gem that is in dire need of a physical reprint and that needs a sequel because it was totally underappreciated.

Or maybe not, playing the game first might be a good idea before judging I guess.

Based on the gameplay it's not my thing. I've gotten pretty good at knowing what I like over the years.

TheMoon

It's a shame, because the game itself sounds like it could be pretty interesting. But that art-style is unequivocally atrocious, which is a lot of what people are going to see about the game for the most part.

The art style isn't atrocious. It just happens to not be stereotypically anime/Japanese for once.

Espada

I definitely want a new Advance Wars for the 3DS, but I've come to terms with the fact that the series is dead at this point. Oh well, I still have my old AW games to replay.

TVC 15

Neo Member
AW is boring shit anyway

sales numbers say it all

Steam's gonna bomb too but it'll be good

You kiss your mother with that mouth?

Each to their own, but the AW series made the GBA worth owning after disappointing Pokemon entries and liscenensed Nikelodeon platformer tat. I got loads of friends into it at secondary school, couple even went out and bought GBAs for it. You owe me a game Intelligent Systems! I made you some sales!

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
It'll happen soon enough, but I'd give it a little more time. Intelligent Systems has had their hands full with Fire Emblem: Awakening, Codename STEAM, and Paper Mario.

Top Bottom