• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Konjiki no Word Master - Yuusha Yonin ni Makikomareta Unique Cheat 01

zuY0dlu.jpg

A group of average high schoolers get summoned to a magical world to be heroes. Well, expect our protagonist who gets dragged along.

A twist on the summoned to magical world stories. The tease forward was interesting so sure why not.

Soma

Prison School 149-150

Holy shit Kiyoshi.

Dude has been amazing these past several chapters.

In 15 volumes he's gone from this:

iymCp2FsWyJVD.png

to this:

ibjTpa3ITkSQnr.jpg

We are not worthy.

_hekk05

Banned
Its heartening to know that even though iShoujo was demoted from WSJ, its still going on

I bet on the right horse

wait a sec has nightmare funk been picked up yet? I remember pushing that one pretty hard

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs (rec), reviews (rev), impressions (imp).

1. An one-shot? where like every other card based series, everything is decided by card games. I'm sure someone with more Magic experience than I do can go into the fine details of this but hey it was pretty enjoyable. For Magic: The Gathering - Magic Gakuen Seitokai. From dakkumauji.
  2. The tactics and logistics displayed are top notch making it one of the best military manga out there. For Koukoku no Shugosha. From ColossalLazy. (imp)
  3. An overworked doctor decides to run away from it all and falls down a well and ends up in Hell. For Colette wa Shinu Koto ni Shita 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  4. The City series of novels is just supposed to be a bunch of non-connected stories that take place in an alternate universe where a form of magitek exists For City Series Vol 1. From ThatChairMan. (imp)
  5. Overall, a Fun read. C For Pokemon Adventures. From Big One. (rev)
  6. It certainly was not an easy read and a couple things flew over my head but it was a great work. For Aku no Hana. From BakedYams. (rev)
  7. BASED KAGO decided to pull of a Fraction/Anamorphosis on the Anime Industry and it ends up going into a completely different direction from what I expected after reading the synopsis. For Harem End. From wonzo. (rev)
  8. Thankfully it wasn't too boring of a read due to the art, which lends itself well for such a setting. For Wicked Eyes Fly to the Full Moon. From Zweizer. (rev)
  9. Interesting concept that is kinda Hell Girl meets Psycho Pass meets Judge Dredd. For Sukedachi Nine 01. From Dynedom. (imp)
  10. Touching little tale with a sad but predictable ending. For Hagoromo Mishin. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  11. I'm glad it at least avoided heavy tears or anger but resolved things peacefully. Great read. For Fukurou-kun to Kare. From Dedication Through Light. (rev)
  12. exciting and diverse character. both in personality and power. For Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. From rrvv. (rev)
  13. Making bread is serious business. For Yakitate!! Japan. From ColossalLazy. (imp)
  14. Alexandros is a rather historically accurate, if condensed, depiction of the events surrounding Alexander the Great's life...it manages to tell a gripping story with simple yet sublime art. For Alexandros - Dream for World Conquest. From Zweizer. (rev)
  15. This was pretty relaxing to read, and also damn sweet. For Flat Vol 1. From Lain. (imp)
  16. Humanity's inevitable plight and the emotional build up to their eventual demise was touching. For 7 Seeds. From Usobuko. (rev w/spoilers)
  17. the greatest yuri undertone manga EVER For Shinkaigyo no Anko-san. From wonzo. (imp)
  18. A volume of sci-fi short stories, I have to read it! But quality wise, I have to say it's pretty average/decent-ish. For Scientia. From Turin Turambar. (rev) Additional review from Zweizer.
  19. Checked this out as its from the same author as RaButa and the woman married to an otaku anime airing this season. For Metsuko ni Yoroshiku. From dakkumauji. (imp bottom)
  20. Reefer Madness: Manga edition by Nobuyuki Fukumoto For Do You Know the Real Dangers of Those So-Called "Legal" Drugs that are Being Sold?. From MetroidPrimeRib.
  21. A series about a phantom thief that infiltrates the adult's play world. For Dorobou Night Trick 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  22. It picks up steam and gets so beautiful later on. For Tate no Yuusha. From Furyous. (imp)
  23. A fascinating tale that exudes the charm and atmosphere of a century-old painting, combined with the dynamism and expression of contemporary manga. For Black Museum - Springald. From Zweizer. (rev)
  24. New favourite one-shot? New favourite one-shot. For Macchi Shoujo. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  25. Ending was pretty lacking but it was a decent ride overall. Would recommend. For Me~teru no Kimochi. From GreatCharleston. (rec)
  26. Perfect as an one shot. For RKD-EK9. From dakkumauji. (rev)
  27. It's pretty funny. Kinda expecting this to get deep though if the author's other works have taught me anything. For Boku to Ane to Obake-tachi. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  28. A cafe run by a polar bear, with his regulars, a panda and a penguin. I'm drowning in the puns. For Polar Bear Cafe. From dakkumauji.
  29. Frecklestein: Hey ManGAF, I decided I would post a few series that I'm currently diggin' at the moment, all of which are on-going...
  30. A pretty good story about 3 high school students who has to deal with friendship, romance and most importantly death of a loved one. For Onnanoko ga Shinu Hanashi. From Usobuko. (rev)
  31. A strange world, a strange future, a man on the run while his previous team mates try to hunt him down. For No. 5 Vol 1. From Turin Turambar. (imp)
  32. This is so good. I love you, Togashi. For Level E Vol 1. From Brazil.
  33. In spite of all this it's absolutely worth reading just for the crazy good art from beginning to end. For The Black Knight Story. From wonzo. (rev)
  34. I was surprised by some of the creativity in the settings and art... For Terrarium in Drawer. From survivor. (imp)
  35. Overall it was quite the solid read. It had a good amount of funny moments, good baseball, good enough characters. For Touch. From Revo. (rev) More from Akito.
  36. A work that manages to transition flawlessly from a comedic and offbeat tone to a depressingly dour one while betraying the readers' expectations at every turn all to the tune of themes such as ethics in genetics and robots. And mysteries. Amazing. For Gentenrou. From Zweizer.
  37. I really enjoyed what I read here, the strongest elements of the series being the world and character arcs...Overall: B+ For Tokyo Ghoul. From Big One. (rev)
  38. It's a sort of biographical manga by Tsutomu Adachi, Mitsuru's older brother about their relationship, how they both become manga artists and how they influenced each other. For Jitsuroku - Adachi Mitsuru Monogatari 01. From Akito. (imp)
  39. Overall, it's a decently gripping story about a defeated army's struggles during these forlorn times. For The Black Knight Story. From Zweizer. (rev)
  40. The fantastic writing, the fitting style for the art, and the whole concept is executed in a fantastic way, which just makes the whole thing work. For Dead Tube. From PaulExcellent. (imp)
  41. Being allergic to otaku is a first so I'm looking forward to seeing where this amusing series goes. For 2.5 Jigen Kareshi 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  42. What an excellent manga. The main theme is how meeting new people can change both of them for better. For Tetsugaku Letra. From ColossalLazy. (imp)
  43. Two persons who don't know each other, an artist and a college student, die in the same accident, and they both are granted one more week to live. For Half & Half (oneshot version). From Marche90. (rev)
  44. An one shot by Syun Matsuena about modern day ninjas. For Kanata. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  45. Normal dude comes back to his hometown and becomes aquainted with an older gentleman, a gay guy maybe around his age, and a young girl who couldn't be very far into double digits in age. They're all involved with one of two feuding mafias... For Girl May Kill. From VRMN. (imp?)
  46. I like the interaction between our two leads here. It's pretty cute, builds up slowly and pretty natural. For Shinomiya-kun no Sekai ga Owatte mo 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  47. Seems nice to be less action-y and more about using what the youkai are known for. For Youkai no Oisha-san 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  48. Basically seems like girl will tame this beast type of series but I do like that the girl's not a complete wallflower here. For Kemono Switch 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  49. Your average girl gets hit by a truck and dies. But she gets reincarnated as the daughter of another world with all her present knowledge still intact. For E? Heibon Desu yo?? 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  50. I can only recommend for those looking for a good romance comedy. For 3D Kanojo. From Mockingbird. (rec)
  51. This is cute. Really cute and I like how she never gives up. So cute. For Nakamura Koedo to Daizu Keisuke wa Umakuikanai. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  52. VRMN with impressions for a bunch of obscure manga.
  53. A sculptor creates a statue to fight a raging god but loses causing him to fuse with the statue and now they awaken many many years later. For Busshi no Busshin - Kamakura Hanbun Busshiroku 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  54. This time it was obviously not quite as shocking an experience but the Ririko's hellish trip is still a sight to behold. For Helter Skelter. From Akito. (reread)
  55. This series is quite enjoyable, even though it's clearly targeted to a very young audience, atm. For My Hero Academia. From Versipellis. (imp)
  56. As a short series, it had enough to keep me interested and curious about the world to keep going. For Laughter in The End of The World. From dani_dc. (rev)
  57. Same super elaborate drawing style, but a much more interesting story. For Yume Tsukai. From Turin Turambar. ("This story featured: Black Madonna...")
  58. Sorta artsy, sorta deep, sorta what the fuck? For Gokusai Vol 1. From Lain. (imp)
  59. It's nice to see the humor still in this adaptation. For Youkai Watch 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  60. Time for delinquents to save the world and fight alien mechas! For Guren Five 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  61. I do feel that this format works better than the anime did. For GJ-Bu Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  62. This is cute. Pretty funny and fun. For Fujicue!!! - Fujicue's Music 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  63. I definitely thought this one shot was going to end completely differently. For Bye Bye Brother. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  64. A collection of hard science fiction short stories with really awesome art. The technobabble was a little too much at times but there were some pretty neat concepts, I especially liked the first story. For 2001 + 5. From Akito.
  65. A bleak take on their life [conjoined twins of different gender] made even more miserable by a disastrous earthquake. For Tengoku ni Musubu Koi. From Usobuko. (imp)
  66. Shounen tropes in a Veterinarian setting. Hard work, friendship, will power; it's all there. Even got the idiot protagonist despite being in one of the world's most respected positions. Don't know how that works. It's pretty good. For Wild Life. From cosmicblizzard.
  67. Interesting tale of 3 friends and how their lives change while dealing in such an environment. For Uncivilized Planet. From Infinite Justice. (imp)
  68. Before the end of the chapter, I just assumed this was going to be another childhood loses terribly for chapters upon chapters but then oh boy, that last page. For The Tower of Mysterion 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  69. someone *cough* *cough* started translating that taisho nominated series with the cool cover. seems to be a pretty sweet collection of sci-fi shorts! For Terrarium in Drawer. From wonzo.
  70. A collection of short stories by Kazue Kato of Blue Exorcist fame. For Time Killers. From dakkumauji. (imp)

Whoa my bl got mentioned, great read.

Pokemon Adventures Vol.26

We have the super cool Frontier Brains and the super ugly Emerald now starting the sixth arc of Pokemon Adventures.

Battle Factory was featured here and that was always my most favorite thing at Battle Frontier.

Reading this also brings up lots of salt of not having Battle Frontier in ORAS as well.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Mature as in deep and emotional, or just 18+?

either or both hekk, dont be shy now with the recommendations!

I get the feeling that you've already read all the recs I could give (/ω\ )

• Akai Mi Hajiketa: collection of romance short stories with great art, brought to you by the folks from here.
  • Stretch: totally a yuri romance manga.
  • Uwagaki: MC must seduce the clone of his crush. If he succeeds, the clone's memories will overtake the original's.
  • The Music of Marie: in a surreal world governed by a flying robot named Marie...
  • Genshiken: lots of meta humor and otaku culture, but romance does play a part in it, especially in the second season.
  • Prunus Girl: what is her gender? Does it matter?
  • Kanojo wa Sore o Gaman Dekinai: dogsuit smut.
  • Banana Bread Pudding: a rather quirky shoujo with a zany female lead.
  • Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san: not exactly mature, but adorably cute.

whynotboth.gif

you understand me zweizer! thanks for the haul!

What I took from that was that I read manga without posting recs/imps

edit holy shit rawlands delivers!!

Noboru Kotera-san, by Coffee Kizoku

exploring the myriad of lewd poses while rock-climbing

I didn't know this was a thing, but now that I do, I demand moar

i must read this now.

Lain

Shimauma Volume 3
19lb.jpg

Quite the different Dragon for the most part of this volume, though by the end he gets back in shape. i'd even say that he improves compared to the first volumes, when he makes that choice in regards to Aya. He doesn't manage to accomplish his goal, but he finally made a choice, made his stand and the volume ends up with him being once again on his feet. I wonder what kind of job he's hiring those assholes for.
Since I just noticed that volume 4 got released and it wasn't part of my major manga order at the start of the month, it's gonna suck waiting for the rest of the month to see what's gonna happen next. The only positive is that at least the side-story book about Aka and Kiinu was part of the order, so whenever that ships I'll get to read it.

X-Gene volume 1
29lb.jpg

Way more interesting than I would have given it credit for before buying it. Maybe a bit rushed and lacking some build-up, but the characters and the way they act aren't half bad and the whole genetic mutant thing, though it's man-made in this case, reminds me of my past comic reading time.
The art is a bit rough but still OK.

_hekk05

Banned
either or both hekk, dont be shy now with the recommendations!

Aside from whatever zweizer recc-ed

Maousama Chotto Sore Totte!! : teenage demon lord getting teased
Bocchi na Bokura no Renai Jijou : romance for romance sake leading somewhere?
Domestic na Kanojo : Its like reverse reverse reverse NTR. This one gives me complicated feelings
Kiss X Sis if you haven't read it yet

aAhzUqy.jpg

P.S. We will not shoot you on sight.

P.S.S. If you are a woman or child, please come alone.

P.S.S.S. Ignore the man wielding a machete patrolling the halls. He is friendly.

P.S.S.S.S. Bring some pie.

Maousama Chotto Sore Totte!! 06

EXrR6d8l.png

Demon King's lady-in-waiting is troll-erific.

Maousama Chotto Sore Totte!! 07

Most intense ping pong action ever.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Kanojo wa Sore o Gaman Dekinai Chapters 1-6

doc-rivers.gif

Aside from whatever zweizer recc-ed

Maousama Chotto Sore Totte!! : teenage demon lord getting teased
Bocchi na Bokura no Renai Jijou : romance for romance sake leading somewhere?
Domestic na Kanojo : Its like reverse reverse reverse NTR. This one gives me complicated feelings
Kiss X Sis if you haven't read it yet

Thank you! I've read Kiss X Sis already, I've been letting it pile up after
MC and teacher started dating. Don't know what happens afterwards.

D-Gray Man Vol 1
mDvhBsZ.jpg

I have to say the art is really good especially for it's first Vol. I love the gothic feel of the art and the way Hoshino drew her 19th century setting. The detail shown on backgrounds and characters are brilliant. Hoshino is really great at creating character designs.

Our protagonist Allen Walker is heading towards The Black Order an organization filled with Exorcists. Whose goal is to destroy the Akuma and Millennium Earl's plan. I have mention something I really love Allen's style of clothes, it just has style. He sure does have great taste. I found some interesting details in Vol about Allen. It seems Hoshino was originally gonna go for a rambunctious idiot type of protagonist, which honestly I'm glad she didn't go for. I mean we already have so many of those type of characters. So having Allen a gentleman type of character is fresh and nice.

The first two arcs were nice to help settle in the setting. The Vol provides information about Akumas and how they are weapons with souls attached. I actually found it a bit disturbing on how the weapons created by Millennium Earl take over the body of a loved one shown in the manga compared to the anime. I guess it has to do with how Hoshino drew that scene with the Pastor in the opening Arc. It was pretty sad and the way the Pastor's face was drawn when his wife died was amazing. The emotions that came from the Pastor especially when he was cursed God was indeed tragic. Though the way that skeleton brought by Earl just crawled into his throat was just ugh.

I have to say the way Earl is drawn is bit creepy and funny. Though as a antagonist his design is great. I especially love the way he just says "Good Evening" it really gives him a personality. I also love the comedy bits in this manga, it actually entertaining.

Anyways Allen Walker finally arrives at the Order in which he's met by Kanda because it seems they confused him as an Akuma. Then Kanda starts attacking him until they finally find out he was sent by General Cross. Lenalee stops Kanda from further attacking and helps give Allen a tour of The Black Order. Sweet Jesus Lenalee's design in the manga is sooo good. She looks amazingly beautiful, just everything about her looks great. It also seems like Hoshino worked on her character longer than Allen which was a pretty long time. I can see why her character looks great. Also Komui was drawn after Hoshino's editor which I find interesting. I gotta say though I love Komui's carefree and brocon personality. Finally at the end it's told that Allen is a Parasitic Anti-Akuma Weapon which are rare, rather than a equip type. It's also told that he will become the destroyer of time.

The Vol was an enjoyable read, just loved everything. I can't wait to read more. 😁

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Kanojo wa Sore o Gaman Dekinai Chapters 7-13

Wow, this was actually a pretty good read. Still flabbergasted at how original it was with the dog-suit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Onepunch-Man (One) 99

Looks like shit is about to go down and Saitama is going to get revenge for the loss of his house. Time to put some bitches (I mean this in the general sense, a sort of colloquial "bitches," and not in any sort of offensive way only to say that they ain't shit compared to Saitama) in their places.

Hastati

Prison School 149-150

Holy shit Kiyoshi.

Dude has been amazing these past several chapters.

In 15 volumes he's gone from this:

iymCp2FsWyJVD.png

to this:

ibjTpa3ITkSQnr.jpg

We are not worthy.

I keep waiting for him to unlock his Bankai.

This is seriously the dumbest series ever, but I can't stop reading it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Prunus Girl 1-3

Had this in my backlog, read a couple chapters. Really good, lighthearted read. I've worked with countless students who identify as guys but are girls since people confuse their gender since they aren't developed as other girls there age. I really wonder if that character is really a girl or a guy? The world may never know!

Plus, if anyone can reply, is there a definitive gender for the character later on in the manga? I know s/he has identification with a male gender on it but is that really the case? I just wanna know if the manga clarifies this or if its just its tool used to entice readers throughout the story, no spoilers pls.

I keep waiting for him to unlock his Bankai.

This is seriously the dumbest series ever, but I can't stop reading it.

Dumbest? More like the greatest. Dude has evolved through the series and I still can't get over Andrenomics.

Usobuko

Banned
My Girl SAHARA Mizu
Oh man! This gave me the peace of mind I needed from reading toxic rage educing mangas. If anyone needs healing, I strongly recommend this manga.

The only nitpick I had with this manga is the little girl, Koharu, who acts and sounds too profound and mature for her age. But as I discussed this issue with others, I kinda agree that she is perhaps an outlet of the author's voice.

You should check out YKK, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō for the bolded part too.

Taken from Yuunagi's profile in MAL.

Terrarium in Drawer
One of the best short stories collection i've ever read. Each stories have different style. Sometime fantasy, sometime sci-fi, all the time entertaining. It's bizarrely charming and fun to read.

One of us!

dumbyugi

Prunus Girl 1-3

Had this in my backlog, read a couple chapters. Really good, lighthearted read. I've worked with countless students who identify as guys but are girls since people confuse their gender since they aren't developed as other girls there age. I really wonder if that character is really a girl or a guy? The world may never know!

Plus, if anyone can reply, is there a definitive gender for the character later on in the manga? I know s/he has identification with a male gender on it but is that really the case? I just wanna know if the manga clarifies this or if its just its tool used to entice readers throughout the story, no spoilers pls.

He's a guy. The MC confirms it fairly early on.

Past

I got Blade of the Immortal Vol 1-10 on eBay for $20! I've no idea if the manga is good or not, but at that price why not?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Domestic Na Kanojo Chapter 1

BRUHHHHHHHHHH I CANT EVEN... I LOVE IT! MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN GOOD ENDING

I got Blade of the Immortal Vol 1-10 on eBay for $20! I've no idea if the manga is good or not, but at that price why not?

its really good mate, nice steal.

Domestic Na Kanojo Chapter 2-5

oh lawd, this is the best rec anyone has ever given me. my faith is restored for mangaf.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I am now the epitome of faith for bakedyams

How does it feel to be elevated to a position of deity-hood?

Ehh its alright.

ive caught up, i fucking love domestic na kanojo. my only beef is the pacing, which was excellent in the beginning, sped up wayyyyy too fast with any lack of development. i still love it though, i just hope it doesnt become aimless near the end like good ending. i shall build a shrine in your name hekk and you planting your foot on a pedestal, which will be kasane

_hekk05

Banned
Wait

What happened to Keijo? New volume out yet?

I'm pretty sure Akito is just busy. How do I know that? Because raw chapters go up to

ive caught up, i fucking love domestic na kanojo. my only beef is the pacing, which was excellent in the beginning, sped up wayyyyy too fast with any lack of development. i still love it though, i just hope it doesnt become aimless near the end like good ending. i shall build a shrine in your name hekk and you planting your foot on a pedestal, which will be kasane

Its currently at chp 34 on raws, and I can assure you the ride continues.

In other news, I finally gave in to the wait and started reading shieldbro novel chapters. Now the manga won't impact me as much, but I'll still enjoy the art.

Working Holiday 01-05

Former biker gang member and now host suddenly discovers he has a 5 year old son. So he decides to let the kid stay over during summer vacation and they both discover more about each other and themselves.

A really nice father and son series. Nice interactions between the two and it's really nice they are learning about each other. I mean its feel good, just about the best way to describe this is that it's nice.

Now if only someone would start translating this again...

kasane

Prunus Girl 1-3

Dumbest? More like the greatest. Dude has evolved through the series and I still can't get over Andrenomics.

reading prunus girl

why would you want to know the gender

yams pls

edit: finish it and make your own decision

dumbyugi

reading prunus girl

why would you want to know the gender

yams pls

edit: finish it and make your own decision

But he's a man, you don't get to make your own decision on what gender he is. He identifies as a male and the MC see's his junk and confirms he's 100% a dude.

dani_dc

ABK49 173

AKB49 ch173

What a cop out.

Agreed.
I figure they wouldn't be revealing Minori's gender, but I was hoping for at least something fun to happen such as Alice kissing Minori live and creating a scandal.

I also have no idea how they manage to switch into swimsuits in such short time, or where did they get the said swimsuits to begin with.

Finally all caught up with AKB49, now I feel the need for more AKB, but their IRL videos look boring compared to the manga, and the anime looks, well, er... odd to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom