• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
it's revolutionary, that's what it is. If the art was a bit better it would be WSJ tier

You want to see a repeat of iShoujo? WSJ isn't ready for the gloriousness of these spats.

Kanojo wa Sore o Gaman Dekinai Chapters 7-13

Wow, this was actually a pretty good read. Still flabbergasted at how original it was with the dog-suit.

Well, the dogsuit is like the whole point of the manga.

I am now the epitome of faith for bakedyams

How does it feel to be elevated to a position of deity-hood?

Ehh its alright.

What a crappy recipient of faith. I fear for Yams.

ABK49 173

Agreed.
I figure they wouldn't be revealing Minori's gender, but I was hoping for at least something fun to happen such as Alice kissing Minori live and creating a scandal.

I also have no idea how they manage to switch into swimsuits in such short time, or where did they get the said swimsuits to begin with.

I think the author is playing it safe with neither a big reveal of Minori's gender nor something that might rile up shippers.

Never underestimate an idol's wardrobe~

Nudist Beach ni Shuugakuryokou de!!
What.

Now you might be thinking; why is this bastard posting about a hentai?
Because the bloody thing is about ONE dude with an INFINITE diamond dog and seems to attract girls like goddamn honey.
I don't.

Zweizer

Banned
Watari-kun no xx ga Houkai Sunzen ch2

Well, looks like she's not a yandere after all. Still the best girl so far though.

The Tower of Mysterion ch2

All aboard the pain train!

Reknoc

Decided to give My Hero Academia a whirl. All caught up now and I like it, love the art and the sort Incredibles-ish setting, but more importantly

Frog Girl

Nordicus

Hajime no Ippo 934-945

*sigh*

All that build-up for a match that would have THREE actual punches thrown in it (we're not counting that one feint by Kojima). I knew beforehand that it would be a 1-hit KO, sure, but I wasn't prepared for something quite this short. It was a bit of a shock, especially after that drawn out Wally fight. I want to boo Kojima for not being prepared for the chances of Ippo surviving one fricking counter-punch. Ippo has stood up after some devastating shit, he should know. He deserved that potentially lethal punch in the face at that point.
HO7QpkV.jpg
3u6JHGa.jpg
After the fight, Ippo suddenly fainted from the after effects of that one punch he took. It could have lead to something, but given Ippo's track record with career-ending injuries before, it probably won't.

Takamura's match right afterwards was a bit more entertaining. It was "lame" in a sense, but a foreign challenger fighting Takamura by keeping his distance and going for points, and getting the cheers of the Japanese fans on his side, was a breath of fresh air. Remember all of Volg's fights? Remember how he made up a weird infighting style to please the crowd? Yeah, this was kinda big. Also, I love Takamura, but I love it even more when he gets his sloppy attitude shoved right at his face, the crowd hated him. Rabbitson still lost because he actually went in to fight at the very end, ego boosted too much by his reception, but I consider this a moral victory.

The bar scene though, where Takamura fought Date, Mashiba, Sendo and the 2 other boxers who work at Date's gym? ABSOLUTE FUCKING COMEDY GOLD! This is why I can read/watch Ippo even when the matches are at their worst: the comedy is still solid, somewhat uniquely rough and often raunchy, and the supporting cast is great and can hold a scene on their own. Though fuck Itagaki. I lost my shit when I noticed that Mashiba is actually afraid of an angry Takamura. Even in a group of 5 top tier japanese boxers he still thinks he can only buy time when it comes to Takamura. That's marvelous. Takamura brings arguing boxers together through his value as a common enemy, and teaches tough guys fear at the same time. He is truly one of a kind.

Finally, the post-match interview with Kojima is surprisingly heavy. I bet he would have rather had his jaw shattered to pieces by Ippo, than just get a punch so fierce that it wiped off Kojima's memory of the one time he got to face his idol. At least that way he would have been given a souvenir. It's such a shame that everything surrounding Kojima's match, with the exception of Ippo's current moodiness and regret about acting so violent, is infinitely better than the match itself.

Aizo

Banned
Space Brothers might fit the bill. It's pretty inspiring.
Umimachi Diary is a damn good manga, too. Since there is no real main character (it focuses on four sisters) you get some pretty varied situations and life moments.
I had the first few volumes of Space Bros. in Japan, but ended up giving 'em to a friend. I should go back to it! I'll look into the other one! Thanks, Kurita.
Some recommendation from me

Kunimitsu no matsuri -> it's about a young man who want to be politician. It's funny and quite informative as well.

Black Swindler/Kurosagi -> Swindler who swindle swindler. The end note usually feature case that inspired each chapter.

Shibatora-> A police in youth division try to solve various trouble.

Rainbow -> About 7 guys in juvenile prison. Their hardship and their attempt to overcome trouble that come to them.

Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit -> In the future, one random person are selected to die at designated time. they will be noticed 24 hour before their time, and it's up to them on how they spend their final day.

Halcyon Lunch -> A jobless guy meet girl that eat everyhing. Hilarity ensue. It''s absurd and damn funny.
I bought the last two volumes of Ikigami while I was living in Tokyo, because it hadn't been finished in the West, so I still have to read them! I'll look into all the rest!
I'm currently reading 7 Seeds and it's pretty great, in particular the characterization. Other recommendations include:

• Hinamatsuri: A strange girl with psychic powers suddenly gets thrown into the life of a yakuza. Great mix of comedy and themes of societal issues.
  • Boys on the Run: Can be hard to read through, but beyond that it's a memorable tale about a loser who wants to stop being a loser.
  • Nickelodeon: A collection of quirky and surreal short stories. They can make you laugh, they can make you cry, they will make you scratch your head.
  • Once Again: A short romance manhua about an ambitious workaholic man after the sudden loss of his wife.
  • Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru: Slice of life manga about amateur detective and full-time high school student Hotori and her acquaintances. Deadpan humor with an occasional serving of weird stories that might or might not allude to societal issues.
  • Getenrou, by the same author, is a short but more serious read, with a bigger emphasis on themes such as genetics and robotics.
  • Ikigami: What if a small part of the population chosen at random is planned by the government to die once they reach adulthood? How will these people deal with this fate?
  • Planetes: In the near future, the outer space around Earth will be filled with too much debris to be left unattended. In a small vessel lives a crew of junk cleaners, but what is the story behind their motivation for taking upon such a dangerous yet ungrateful job? Good cast of characters and relatively realistic portrayal of space travel.
  • Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa: A middle-aged man down on luck decides to turn his life around.
I prefer finished series, but I should finally get around to reading Kurosawa!

Thanks, everyone!

Seraph of the End 29
tumblr_ni2sq1bRZv1qbxqfpo1_1280.png

Narumi must stick around, lol Yu is so good around him, Both are good for the teamwork thing. Not that Shinoa is bad leader either, but both teams are perfect.

I hope they survive against Crawley. Though his personality could be his downfall. He seems like the perfect character to get done in by the humans due to his doubt over their great strength and growth.

What Can You Kill?! (one shot)

All these NisiOisiN arent good. They have good art but the subjects are so dull and morbid. Hated this ones writing and ending. How does a character like him even say such a thing?! That doesnt look like a loser to me.
B7LCQTYCIAAJKwU.png:large

B7LA_CeCIAE_v0n.png:large

Dandte

Still a great manga, but pls let this whole everybodys is in love but can't transmit it to his/her beloved getting to big. The age gap is also kinda disturbing...

Mahou Tsukai no Deshi ga Warau Toki 1
A story of a boy without emotions, who only has one way of temporarily regaining them - Find someone precious to him. And then kill them. Also he's also the pupil of a magician, because he wants to learn how to destroy the world. So yeah, pretty cheerful stuff. Shame he didn't ice that girl, since I'd rather not see her in a reoccurring role. Actually, the characters here were pretty unappealing generally, so the more suffering they have to endure the better.

Kazuki Makes Love Happen At All Boys High 22

Kazuki should stayed with his boyfriends instead of go off with a girl again. He just never learns that he has no luck in these situations and they always end up turning out for the worst.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Well thanks to not being able to find chapter 64, I've been rereading Ao no Exorcist again. It's even more apparent that the monthly pace has killed off this manga. It's truly a shame, because it's great. The slice of life bonding is the best, honestly, but I'm also a fan of the angst. The fight scenes are probably the worst part of it, they're too chaotic.

edit: I also read Love So Life's chapter 64-68, and honestly I thought the romance between the uncle and his ex, and Shiharu and her adoptive brother seemed more compelling than the uncle and Shiharu together, but maybe that's just because these are the only chapters I've read of this manga. Seems like the author already has those loose ends tied up.

Kimi wa Midara na Boku no Joou

857ed2df59.jpg

This series

This is BY FAR the lewdest serialized thing I've ever read, and that's saying something since I post here. It's a few body parts away from being a full on H series.
The male MC studies super hard to get into a school for rich people where the female childhood friend MC is, but their relationship stalls. Then the most out of place (and almost completely ignored) thing in the series happens in the form of a pillow god linking their rooms together through magic because of a mutual wish, in exchange for the girl losing her self control for an hour a day. And also the girl is a nymphomaniac. Then the guy gets a wound on his dick and it bleeds whenever he gets an erection. You can see where this is going.
Apparently the first five chapters were it's own thing? And then there was a continuation? In any case, not much changes but the girl is way hornier.

It seems like chapters have stopped coming out, maybe it's because the author is busy on Brynhilder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom