• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
My only knock on Kingdom is that it's pretty predictable. What you expect happens, WILL happen so to speak. But the execution of it in the end is what truly matters and Kingdom does this in spades. Every character, storyline, and panel has depth and importance to it. It's truly a master work thus-far and is one of my all time favorites out of all the batch of new manga I've been reading recently.

_hekk05

Banned
My only knock on Kingdom is that it's pretty predictable. What you expect happens, WILL happen so to speak. But the execution of it in the end is what truly matters and Kingdom does this in spades. Every character, storyline, and panel has depth and importance to it. It's truly a master work thus-far and is one of my all time favorites out of all the batch of new manga I've been reading recently.

Well you can only deviate from history so much in a historical manga.
The fact that everyone knows the ending, but the journey captivates readers so is a huge achievement.

wonzo

Banned
I thought it's better off without the epilogue. I don't find the themes / messages to be heavily handled even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

If I were to pick, I would also choose Genkaku Picasso.
I actually liked the epilogue as it opens up how all the different islands and their respective cultures would interpret "Marie" and the kinds of limits they'd face (fashion island not being able to produce more protective forms of clothing i.e. armour, agricultural island not being able to produce certain yields/crops etc.)

Usobuko

Banned
Any recommendations for Coming of age manga with some Romance.

If you have the fortitude to bear the blunt of the drama induced by a wild & emotional roller coaster ride, pick these.

Arigatou
Aku no Hana
Boys on the Run
Ciguatera
Moteki
Mikai no Hoshi
Oyasumi Punpun
Ressentiment
Tetsugaku Letra
Welcome to NHK

_hekk05

Banned

Going for less emotional rides and more sprinkling of romance to cover the bases

Omaera Zenin Mendokusai!
Tate no Yuusha
there's definitely some romance there
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
Sousei no Onmyouji
Sensei Lock-On!

Zweizer

Banned
Genkaku Picasso is better overall but yeah the art in Marie is on a whole nother level.
I thought it's better off without the epilogue. I don't find the themes / messages to be heavily handled even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

If I were to pick, I would also choose Genkaku Picasso.

This reminds me that I still haven't written my impressions of Genkaku Picasso. Whoops.

(I liked the world building and landscapes of Marie, but I agree that the story, themes and characters were handled better in Picasso.)

Boys on the Run and Onani Master Kurosawa are two pretty great ones.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Sousei no Onmyouji 9-10
Well, blonde chick was saved somehow, so that's good, but still, it's a shame about the mentor. RIP.

The villain development is too stupid, my brain is still trying to process it.

dramatis

Well you can only deviate from history so much in a historical manga.
The fact that everyone knows the ending, but the journey captivates readers so is a huge achievement.
To be honest you don't have to hew to history in a historical manga. I haven't read Kingdom (yet?), but my understanding is that it takes place in the period before the Qin, and I remember looking at the main character's name and going, "Who the hell is this?" And he's supposed to become a great general?

Especially in Chinese history, there can always be a bit at the end where the ruler tells the historians to write 'this history' and wipe out the 'fictional story' from the books. It's fairly easy to skirt around real history in fiction.

If you want an unpredictable Chinese history comic, you can read Ravages of Time. And by unpredictable, I mean I have no idea what's going on.

Solanin
7 Seeds
Sanctuary

Rironteki Shikou ga Ushinawareru Hi Rironteki na Youin

Rei researching message techniques instead of other techniques was a funny way to end this one. I always liked the thing he had going on with Rin-chan-san.

Revo

Sekai Oni 28

With Saki still super crazy and their military expert seemingly out of commission, will Azuma have to super carry harder than normal when the night comes? Hopefully Saki doesn't take down one with her.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Assassination Classroom 105-113

The god of death wrap up was nice enough, pretty cartoonish on the whole though.

But wow is Nagisa's mom fucked up.

114:

Okay, she's somewhat got a point with the whole, "I invested in you!", stuff, sort of, but she's still fucked up.

Assassination Classroom 111
B7PhiduCcAEgvdU.png

Karma-kun was great this chapter, first with Nagisa, then with the chemistry, then the Terasaka moment. Didnt think Tereasaka would go on to a political career.

rrc1594

Otoyomegatari
Baby Steps
Koganeiro
Medaka Box

If you have the fortitude to bear the blunt of the drama induced by a wild & emotional roller coaster ride, pick these.

Arigatou
Aku no Hana
Boys on the Run
Ciguatera
Moteki
Mikai no Hoshi
Oyasumi Punpun
Ressentiment
Tetsugaku Letra
Welcome to NHK

Going for less emotional rides and more sprinkling of romance to cover the bases

Omaera Zenin Mendokusai!
Tate no Yuusha
there's definitely some romance there
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
Sousei no Onmyouji
Sensei Lock-On!

Other good stuff already mentioned by others, so here's my recommendation

The Lucifer and biscuit hammer
Hourou Musuko/ Wandering Son
14-sai no Koi

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";147227330]If you want an unpredictable Chinese history comic, you can read Ravages of Time. And by unpredictable, I mean I have no idea what's going on.

Solanin
7 Seeds
Sanctuary[/QUOTE]

thx

Tsuki Tsuki! 35 (chapter numbering what now?)
Holy sweet maid overload. Has the author come to realise the superiority of maid? Because it feels like there's been an abundance of maid recently. Like this chapter, which was entirely maid. Maid.

Anyway, Kaorun's clown mask slips further and Shinobu levels up his social link with her. Maid route is now open. Possibly. Okay, maybe not, since her mistress is 2nd in line to the harem throne.

Vito

Banned
Finally got around to reading Girls of the Wild's, chapter 29 seemed like a good place to take a break~

Still not quite used to the format, but it's getting better. Speaking of comics published online, should be a new chapter of Stretch out tomorrow~

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
reading prunus girl

why would you want to know the gender

yams pls

edit: finish it and make your own decision

its cause the author started teasing in the first few chapters but then i read a couple more and its pretty much a guy.

More like Hiatus X Hiatus, amirite?

Well, the dogsuit is like the whole point of the manga.

You always have to ruin my fun ;_;
I NEED MOAR MATURE! MOAR!!!

Zweizer

Banned
You always have to ruin my fun ;_;
I NEED MOAR MATURE! MOAR!!!

That's because you're so fun to ruin~

You already read every rec I gave? Uh... Have you read 7 Seeds, Mahou Tsukai no Yome, Tsugumomo, Mikai no Hoshi, Ashita Dorobou and Bura Girl?

rrc1594

I can't believe I just started reading this Godly manga know as PunPun

" I want to do the old in-and-out" Dead/

HOLY SHIT CHAPTER 50 WTFFFFFFFFF

Stinky

I can't believe I just started reading this Godly manga know as PunPun

" I want to do the old in-and-out" Dead/

HOLY SHIT CHAPTER 50 WTFFFFFFFFF

It only gets worse, prepare for GOOD VIBRATIONS

Asamiya-san no Imouto

Good art but good art alone can't save such a rushed and haphazard tale. Pass.

I was very disappointed by this too, the art is very good but nothing else was.

It felt like a really shitty stage play, I remember dropping out when the fat guy and his sister on the bus turned out to be evil or something? Dumb

Kingdom volume 4
NElb.jpg

Got the other 3 volumes, but since I wanted to see how the events of volume 3 unfolded, I went with reading volume 4 first.
Well, what to say? It had many badass moments. I'm not a lover of the artstyle of Kingdom in general, but the faces are pretty good at expressiveness and expressions in general. That little guy whose name escapes me at the moment makes some damn cute faces. The weird getup he wears helps a lot too.

Xin is a damn moron but he says some great things at times.

Damn, you made me think this was licensed in English. Guess I'll read the scan version.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
When they introduced all them guys and focused more on them that shit was shoujo. It was purely for female crowd. Like i said thats was some chapters ago it could be better but i doubt the MC changed at all.

wow, i havent read it in a while. if they've done that then its horrible. MC been staying wack through all the chapters ive read. maybe i should drop it indefinitely.

Hantsu x Trash 77

oh....oh my

updated? MUST READ!

Aunt Tits 148 - 150

I thought I'd missed more of this.

I uhhh... gotta admit I was routing for the aunt and fitness girl route there for a minute.

also:

tcJoTnU.png

might get some mileage out of this one.

Tsuki Tsuki 35
Mmmmmmm...
Maids maids everywhere.
This really reminds me that one manga where the maid is clearly winning.

That reminds me that I never got around to reading PunPun. Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom