• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

maxcriden

Let me chime on this topic a bit...

I really don't think this place should be used for general talk, ie: goodies, funny pics and all.

FWIW the only "goodie" I remember being discussed is the candy bar I sent to Zonic for 100%ing Scram Kitty, an eShop game ;)

Chrom

Man, I would love to dip on Tekken Tag 2 if it had a similar sale in NA. Always wanted to try out the game digitally but I could never justify the premium price it still has on the eShop.

also

Banned
I think these threads are fine as they are. Downloadable games are still the focus of the discussion and the general talk just spices things up.
A Nintendo discussion thread might be nice, but as a new thread. This thread should really stick to downloads.
You know, this isn't the ''Help me sell my game the thread''. I don't mind your posts but coming in and saying we shouldn't stray from the topic when you've repeatedly done so really comes across as hypocritical.

Back on topic, Axelay is one game I never played and I hope NoA doesn't take long with it. How good is that one?
Axelay is spectacular. One of the very best on its genre and no SNES collection can be complete without it. Outstanding graphics and art direction, fantastic music, plays like a beauty. It's an excellent game.

As a curiosity, Axelay's extraordinary soundtrack was composed by Taro Kudo, better known for designing or directing the whole Mario RPG series, from the original to Mario & Luigi to Paper Mario, as well as working on Love-de-Lic's classics Moon and UFO, and on the Tingle games, and co-composing the Castlevania 4 OST. So you know he's good kind. Just listen to these: Colony, Unkai & Silence.

Demon't Crest, this week's other VC release, is also among the very best on SNES. Everyone who doesn't have it should look into it.

BTW, apologies to all if I've been overly effusive or frequent in my own DKC comments and .gifs. I've meant it in a more lighthearted tone but I'm sorry if it came off as over the top at all!
Don't be silly, now. The tone got through and there's no need to change that.

I think these threads are fine as they are. Downloadable games are still the focus of the discussion and the general talk just spices things up.

Why do so many people want to change something that isn't broken? These threads are fine! Like I said before, keep doing what you've been doing so far without being dickheads to each other. Geez.

You know, this isn't the ''Help me sell my game the thread''. I don't mind your posts but coming in and saying we shouldn't stray from the topic when you've repeatedly done so really comes across as hypocritical.

But his posts were about a downloadable game for a Nintendo platform? Come on, there's no need for that! Those posts were welcomed by most people, evidenced by the possitive replies they got.

maxcriden

Axelay is spectacular. One of the very best on its genre and no SNES collection can be complete without it. Outstanding graphics and art direction, fantastic music, plays like a beauty. It's an excellent game.

As a curiosity, Axelay's extraordinary soundtrack was composed by Taro Kudo, better known for designing or directing the whole Mario RPG series, from the original to Mario & Luigi to Paper Mario, as well as working on Love-de-Lic's classics Moon and UFO, and on the Tingle games, and co-composing the Castlevania 4 OST. So you know he's good kind. Just listen to these: Colony, Unkai & Silence.

Demon't Crest, this week's other VC release, is also among the very best on SNES. Everyone who doesn't have it should look into it.

Don't be silly, now. No need to change that.

Thanks amiibro! ;) Ah man, Axelay and DC look good. I think DC is already here in NA. How violent or dark are either, though? Just curious.

Kudo-san is amazing. I never knew his name before now, I'm embarrassed. :)

Really looking forward to Lufia: The Legend Returns this Thursday. I always wanted to play the GBC Lufia even though lots consider it the worst Lufia. I mean, I really enjoyed Lufia: The Ruins of Lore and I feel like people didn't like that one too much.

also

Banned
But his posts were about a downloadable game for a Nintendo platform? Come on, there's no need for that! Those posts were welcomed by most people, evidenced by the possitive replies they got.
Like I said, I don't mind them and some of them even provided some very interesting insight into the inner workings of the eShop but I don't think this topic was crated for the purpose of market research.

Thanks amiibro! ;) Ah man, Axelay and DC look good. I think DC is already here in NA. How violent or dark are either, though? Just curious.
Axelay has basic sci-fi stuff. Ship shoots lots of robots, other ships, and a fiery-alien dude, nothing violent or overly dark at all.
Demon's Crest is one of the sequels to what you know is one of my favorite games ever, Gargoyle's Quest. It has basically the same tone: nothing too violent, there aren't human characters in the game and there's no blood or anything, just a few gargoyle-looking monsters spitting fire at each other.
Both games definitely have a mood and atmosphere to them, far from chirpy, colorful or cartoony, but they don't have any shocking or gory stuff whatsoever so I'm pretty sure that you'd be OK with them. I played them both when I was a very young kid and I turned out OK, right? Right?

Yep. He's at Vanpool now but still works on the Paper Mario series, even on the great Sticker Star. Vanpool made both Tingle games, which are Taro Kudo's games, and more recently did the Dillon's Rolling Western games and one of the Wii Play Motion games. They are cool in my book and they got deep ties with Nintendo.

TheMoon

Random fun fact from yesteryear: Axelay never came out on Wii VC in Europe. Only AU, JP and NA got it back then.

Wait is only the 2nd Breath of Fire available on the eShop? Why would they put up the sequel before the 1st? Mess. Sadly I wouldn't get my hopes up then as Capcom seems to have abandoned BoF altogether (and 6 is now a mobile phone game :/ ) though I don't know if the publishing rights for the 1st two games would fall under Nintendo possibly. It's the same how NA got Breath of Fire 4 on PSN but not Breath of Fire 3 for some reason.

Breath of Fire 1 has been available on the PAL eShop for a few months now (first time ever it was released on VC in the West). Capcom made a big deal when they announced it on their Capcom Unity blog. It's gonna come to NA eventually.

Anyway... it's been over a month since Tales of the Abyss was released on the JP Abyss... yet Bamco has shown no sign of releasing this in the West. :(

"Wait, we localized a Tales game? For 3DS? Come on, you're pulling my leg!" - Mr. Bamco, CEO

terrisus

Team Top Hat, the thing is that you're being very annoying. It's not about being on topic or not, it's about being rude. You've been told repeatedly over several threads by several different people that the way you're doing what you're doing in isn't exactly welcomed by lots of the regular members in these threads (which I'm not even really one of) and you've been asked to change it. To put it simply, you're being very rude and even sort of surprisingly obnoxious and hardheaded. It's creating an uncomfortable environment in a thread where there shouldn't be one. It's not fun being around when your posts show up, and I'm sure most of us already have somewhere else for being annoyed/angry/bored, we don't need this threads to be yet another one.

I mean, if you know (and you gotta know it by now) that most people here don't like it when you keep posting stuff like that over and over, why do you keep doing it? What do you hope to achieve? I'm going to have to think that you enjoy annoying people. I don't go practice the tuba near your house every day and then ignore your complaints. Why are you practicing the tuba in here still? Please, let's talk about something else!

Like David Byrne so eloquently put it all the way back in 1977: say something once, why say it again? Qu'est-ce que c'est? Fa fa fa fa fa fa...

Hey, Team Top Hat

Killer Yakuza B has basically said much of what I was going to say.

From what I gather, your brand of criticism typically is not constructive, it's a nuisance. You are not going to generate worthwhile discussion by whining. I'm not saying you can't ever show displeasure. You are just going about it the wrong way. Be more cordial if you want to sincerely interact with a community.

Also, I should note this is the second time this topic has come up. :p

And that's why I'm not posting in these threads anymore.

He's been beat over the head with this repeatedly, said he's going to knock it off repeatedly, or at least cut back significantly, and it's simply not happening. And I for one am absolutely sick of it. These threads aren't enjoyable when, multiple times per week, there's someone screaming into nothingness about the same stuff over and over again. It's not about being "on topic." It's not about "no one can criticize Nintendo." It's about being blindingly obnoxious to everyone. And I don't have the effort in my life to deal with that sort of nonsense.

And that's why I'm not posting in these threads anymore.

He's been beat over the head with this repeatedly, said he's going to knock it off repeatedly, or at least cut back significantly, and it's simply not happening. And I for one am absolutely sick of it. These threads aren't enjoyable when, multiple times per week, there's someone screaming into nothingness about the same stuff over and over again. It's not about being "on topic." It's not about "no one can criticize Nintendo." It's about being blindingly obnoxious to everyone. And I don't have the effort in my life to deal with that sort of nonsense.

Great. At least we won't have to hear the begging of Lufia anymore.

maxcriden

Axelay has basic sci-fi stuff. Ship shoots lots of robots, other ships, and a fiery-alien dude, nothing violent or overly dark at all.
Demon's Crest is one of the sequels to what you know is one of my favorite games ever, Gargoyle's Quest. It has basically the same tone: nothing too violent, there aren't human characters in the game and there's no blood or anything, just a few gargoyle-looking monsters spitting fire at each other.
Both games definitely have a mood and atmosphere to them, far from chirpy, colorful or cartoony, but they don't have any shocking or gory stuff whatsoever so I'm pretty sure that you'd be OK with them. I played them both when I was a very young kid and I turned out OK, right? Right?

Yep. He's at Vanpool now but still works on the Paper Mario series, even on the great Sticker Star. Vanpool made both Tingle games, which are Taro Kudo's games, and more recently did the Dillon's Rolling Western games and one of the Wii Play Motion games. They are cool in my book and they got deep ties with Nintendo.

Haha, you turned out great! You're one of my favorite GAFers. As you know!

Anyway, I did look at the screens for Demon's Crest. It doesn't look terribly violent or anything, as you said, but I think the Castlevania-esque aesthetic is just not my thing. I appreciate the recommendation for sure and I will definitely keep it on my radar, but with so many other games to play that do have a more appealing look for me, I'm going to keep it on the backburner for the moment. If you think this is a terrible mistake, don't hesitate to tell me ;)

Thanks for all the info on these games as always! :)

maxcriden

Come on guys, we're all Nintendo fans here.

image.php

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm just hoping that with 3D After Burner II hitting this week, Sega will do a sale on their other 3D Classics, especially considering they do a decent amount of sales on PSN & XBLA. Wouldn't mind trying Galaxy Force II & maybe get Sonic 1 because I'd love to see Sonic 2 & ESPECIALLY Sonic 3 & Knuckles get the 3D Classics treatment.

Though kind of sucks we gotta wait a month for the next games (Fantasy Zone in Feb., Outrun in March, etc.). Oh well, guess it gives me time to work my budget out & spend more time playing the previous 3D Classic game Sega puts out.

Robin64

So noted! You have one of my favorite avs. It's from a series by some artist, right? I want to say I've seen another, similar one with Lucina?

Wish I knew. All i ever found was this image floating around, but never a source.

pikachuandsamus_zpsa9kykob.jpg

Which is a shame, I'd love the hi-res version that didn't have jaggies all over it. So if you ever see it again, let me know!

Axelay is AMAZING. If you like shmups and want to see a real tour de force for SNES Mode 7 effects then get it! I hope NOA rolls it out ASAP so I can upgrade my copy. Also really wish Konami would hurry up and add Gradius III SNES as well.

Come on guys, we're all Nintendo fans here.

Some of us are fans. Some of us are fanboys :D

There is so much hostility in here though. I'll never understand why.

Axelay is AMAZING. If you like shmups and want to see a real tour de force for SNES Mode 7 effects then get it! I hope NOA rolls it out ASAP so I can upgrade my copy. Also really wish Konami would hurry up and add Gradius III SNES as well.

You just sold me on this game.

TheMoon

I'm just hoping that with 3D After Burner II hitting this week, Sega will do a sale on their other 3D Classics, especially considering they do a decent amount of sales on PSN & XBLA. Wouldn't mind trying Galaxy Force II & maybe get Sonic 1 because I'd love to see Sonic 2 & ESPECIALLY Sonic 3 & Knuckles get the 3D Classics treatment.

Though kind of sucks we gotta wait a month for the next games (Fantasy Zone in Feb., Outrun in March, etc.). Oh well, guess it gives me time to work my budget out & spend more time playing the previous 3D Classic game Sega puts out.

EU isn't getting a sale. I don't see why they would only do on in NA. So probably kiss that dream goodbye^^

Maybe after all games in the second series are out.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
EU isn't getting a sale. I don't see why they would only do on in NA. So probably kiss that dream goodbye^^

Maybe after all games in the second series are out.
Seems possible. Just kind of amazed how many times their stuff on PSN or XBLA will be on sale for 1/2 off or so, & they even did a sale on some of the Sonic Game Gear games a few months back, but otherwise, for how often we're actually getting sales on the eShop now (even if all of them aren't good/are for games I care about), seems Sega hasn't done a lot on the eShop in comparison.

Oh well, it might happen eventually.

Seems possible. Just kind of amazed how many times their stuff on PSN or XBLA will be on sale for 1/2 off or so, & they even did a sale on some of the Sonic Game Gear games a few months back, but otherwise, for how often we're actually getting sales on the eShop now (even if all of them aren't good/are for games I care about), seems Sega hasn't done a lot on the eShop in comparison.

Oh well, it might happen eventually.

There really are more sales on XBLA and PSN. I've always heard that it is Microsoft and Sony reaching out to said company to coordinate sales of different kinds. Nintendo doesn't seem to do this at all; most likely because they rarely discount their games as well.

radcliff

For me, the holy trinity of SNES shooters is Axelay, Space Megaforce, and R-Type III. If you like shooters, Axelay is a must.

Robin64

News of Demon's Crest coming has made me itching all day to get home and play Gargoyle's Quest II on the NES .One of my favourite NES games of all time, that.

Edit: Woah woah WOAH.

Gargoyle's Quest II was ported to the Game Boy in 1993 in Japan only, under the name Makaimura Gaiden: The Demon Darkness (魔界村外伝 The Demon Darkness). This port was an enhanced version of the original title containing two new levels. It was scheduled to be released in North America in July 1993 but was later canceled.

Gotta get me some of that.

BooJoh

News of Demon's Crest coming has made me itching all day to get home and play Gargoyle's Quest II on the NES .One of my favourite NES games of all time, that.
I bought Demon's Crest but haven't played it yet. Does the story tie into the first two GQ games or is it its own separate thing?

Wish I knew. All i ever found was this image floating around, but never a source.

pikachuandsamus_zpsa9kykob.jpg

Which is a shame, I'd love the hi-res version that didn't have jaggies all over it. So if you ever see it again, let me know!

Best I can tell this seems to be the source, but it's no bigger: http://swords-dance.deviantart.com/art/Pika-aran-123817696

jholmes

I just heard someone talk this up recently on YouTube and now this. I never played it on the SNES but I'll be giving it a shot when it hits my continent's golden digital shores.

Well it's because people kept waiting for sales that we likely won't get any of the other Sonic's or anything else.
The games were only £4.49 (and Sonic was even cheaper) which is an absolute bargain for what are the best versions of any of these games anywhere.
The work M2 put into these titles was staggering and it's tragic they didn't sell well at all, especially considering the low prices.

Well it's because people kept waiting for sales that we likely won't get any of the other Sonic's or anything else.
The games were only £4.49 (and Sonic was even cheaper) which is an absolute bargain for what are the best versions of any of these games anywhere.
The work M2 put into these titles was staggering and it's tragic they didn't sell well at all, especially considering the low prices.

Other than a couple exceptions like Shovel Knight and Shantae, 3DS download games are dirt cheap anyway. Most games launch at $4-$7, is the extra ~$1.50 you save really going to break you?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can't help but think some of the game choices didn't help. I'd gladly buy Sonic 2 & 3&K for full price, but can't bring myself to pay for Sonic 1 when I didn't enjoy it as much. Altered Beast hasn't aged that well, and I was content with Streets of Rage (among others like Ecco The Dolphin) after playing it on Ultimate Genesis Collection.

At the very least, the 2nd set of games are much more interesting to me and I'm willing to pay full price for all of those, save for Thunder Blade (though is it better than the version included in UGC?).

Kodaman

Man, I would love to dip on Tekken Tag 2 if it had a similar sale in NA. Always wanted to try out the game digitally but I could never justify the premium price it still has on the eShop.

You and me both.. been waiting forever for a sale (Arkham City you too!)
Hope the Teslagrad discount come to NA.

Other than a couple exceptions like Shovel Knight and Shantae, 3DS download games are dirt cheap anyway. Most games launch at $4-$7, is the extra ~$1.50 you save really going to break you?

It won't break the bank; but I think the mindset, and I know I'm not alone here, is that digital should be cheaper, and when someone has a backlog and isn't going to start immediately playing the game, might as well wait for a sale.

I'm having a blast with Shovel Knight, but I had plenty of games to wait for a price drop. It came. I bought. I'm playing.

Ladekabel

Did Square Enix ever explain the absence of their games on the Wii U VC?

I would really love to play Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. I know they are on the Wii Shop and I read it is accesible through Wii Mode on the Wii U. Can someone answer me if I can use my eShop credit in the Wii Shop because that would surprise me.
And would these versions allow for save states?

foltzie1

Did Square Enix ever explain the absence of their games on the Wii U VC?

I would really love to play Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. I know they are on the Wii Shop and I read it is accesible through Wii Mode on the Wii U. Can someone answer me if I can use my eShop credit in the Wii Shop because that would surprise me.
And would these versions allow for save states?

Released on June 26, 2013
in Japan

Edit: No on the eShop credit and no save states in Wii mode

SerTapTap

Ugh I hate the Community thing, forgot to re-sub to this month's thread.

Been playing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, got up to the final boss but took a break because I need to get the dumb cacklebats. Couldn't find a good non-video guide either.

Got Battle Network 2, classic case of Capcom reused assets, but seems alright. Not sure how I feel about the persistent health, but the changes to the chip system seem interesting.

Attack of the Friday Monsters was great, glad I picked that one up for the $3.

I am so tired of meme run being on my home screen. Is there any way to remove games from Wara Wara Plaza?

jeremy1456

Wait is only the 2nd Breath of Fire available on the eShop? Why would they put up the sequel before the 1st? Mess. Sadly I wouldn't get my hopes up then as Capcom seems to have abandoned BoF altogether (and 6 is now a mobile phone game :/ ) though I don't know if the publishing rights for the 1st two games would fall under Nintendo possibly. It's the same how NA got Breath of Fire 4 on PSN but not Breath of Fire 3 for some reason.

But why would someone come into a Nintendo thread for that purpose though, wouldn't that fall under trolling and be against the TOS anyways? If that happened we could just PM a mod.

Breath of Fire 1 has been announced for the Wii u virtual console, and was released in Europe and Japan already.

Chrom

A new Atlus games sale is live in NA. Every game is $15 for a week.

[3DS] Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars - $14.99 thru 1/19 (was $39.99)
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan - $14.99 thru 1/19 (was $29.99)
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl - $14.99 thru 1/19 (was $39.99)
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers - $14.99 thru 1/19 (was $29.99)
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - $14.99 thru 1/19 (was $29.99)
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV - $14.99 thru 1/19 (was $29.99)

Top Bottom