• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The death of the Game Console

consoles will never die as long as they price themselves accordingly. ps4 launched at 399 like a boss and you couldn't buy a PC that will last you this whole gen for anything close to that. Even building one yourself = nope at the time. Based on what we've seen it seems like 300-400 is the range console should launch in. For people who just want to play all the latest games with ease consoles will always be an attractive choice. The bells and whistles of the PC versions don't seem to matter to the vast majority of people.

If you think that the consoles receive "all of the latest games" then you are really missing out. As a guy who loves indie games, finally getting a PC has been an incredible experience.

That said, as small form factor pc's break the $500 barrier, I see no reason why gaming has to be an either/or proposition. I plan on always owning at least one console, as well as an inexpensive gaming rig.

And you admit there is a pretty large difference still currently. Even when people boot up a current " console sized " PC you will simply be booting Windows 8 and navigating that horrible OS and dealing with usual PC stuff to get to your games.

PC's are getting to be able to be put into a console sized box these days, as I said before, but that doesn't automatically put them into the console category in my view. But yes, Valve building a gaming centric OS and packaging a Steam Box with a gaming controller and building a gaming first console with pure PC components is where I wouldn't mind starting to call the box a true console.

Again, The Alpha has a custom controller UI and can boot into Big Picture mode which is akin to a console OS. You don't have to see Windows 8 if you don't want to.

Seanspeed

Banned
And you admit there is a pretty large difference still currently. Even when people boot up a current " console sized " PC you will simply be booting Windows 8 and navigating that horrible OS and dealing with usual PC stuff to get to your games.
Actually, you can set up your PC to boot straight into Steam Big Picture Mode.

PC's are getting to be able to be put into a console sized box these days, as I said before, but that doesn't automatically put them into the console category in my view. But yes, Valve building a gaming centric OS and packaging a Steam Box with a gaming controller and building a gaming first console with pure PC components is where I wouldn't mind starting to call the box a true console.

But at this point, only people trying to make a point would call these current living room made PC's a regular gaming console ala the PS4 or Xbox One or Wii U. Just too large of differences for them to be lumped together.
You keep talking about 'currently' and 'at this point', but I'm mainly talking about what happens in the future. I still don't think traditional consoles are going to die or anything, that's not my point, but I don't see the purpose in acting like PC's(which are extremely versatile machines) cant do the same things consoles do and considering them this massively different platform when that similar functionality is pretty damn close at hand.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
There's a reason you got banned from Beyond3D, isn't there OP?

Sony posts some of their highest sales rates ever, and MS sells faster than both 360 and OG in the same period spells death for consoles, and that apparently Sony and MS will sell their third party services to other companies aka Sega??

I get that the marketplace is becoming more saturated with more and more ways to play games, but that just means more choice for the consumer. Unless your expecting a 1983 type crash, its not really worth all of this doomsday nonsense.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
When the same comments and exaggerations are made about PC gaming, do you have a problem with it? Of course you don't.

Im not familiar with PC gaming, so I don't comment about it. I stick with what I know, and I know that the process of playing a console game doesn't require DLC.

Since you play on both platforms, did you find fault with anything the OP said? Or are you just towing the PC line in a stupid "consoles are doomed" thread?

Nzyme32

How some come to the ridiculous idea that the entire world will mass adopt living room pc's instead of consoles in the near future is beyond me. Home theater PCs(HTPC) have been around for nearly a decade, without posing a threat to consoles. PCs will never replace consoles in the living room, what a foolish thought.

PC is a shrinking market itself, with mobiles taking over many of the computing tasks of desk and laptops.

Citibank-Forecast-Shrinking-PC-Market.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ill-shrinking-with-smaller-firms-squeezed-out

http://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...-market-will-continue-to-shrink-through-2015/

Screen-Shot-2014-03-27-at-12.24.59-PM.png

No one is saying that, other than the OP I think. The idea of a convergence occurring over time, is a pretty solid one and that is quite noticeably ongoing.

Bringing up data for the almighty death of desktop vs tablet is hilariously typical of you. What does that have to do with small form factor PCs, that on all assumptions, wouldn't behave or function as a typical desktop? It's like comparing android phones to android set top boxes. Markets established at different times, growing at different rates, serving differing functionality and with completely different use cases and often different sets of customers; not to mention the android set top boxes (or small form factor PCs) being a minuscule market now, having only started an escalating appearance recently.

No one is threatening you blessed consoles, or claiming that somehow PCs will wipe them out. Consoles and PCs will likely be very different in decades to come. Lounge friendly PCs are certainly a possibility if the improvements seen now continue and PCs continue to iterate on their usability and form factors

Actually, you can set up your PC to boot straight into Steam Big Picture Mode.

You keep talking about 'currently' and 'at this point', but I'm mainly talking about what happens in the future. I still don't think traditional consoles are going to die or anything, that's not my point, but I don't see the purpose in acting like PC's(which are extremely versatile machines) cant do the same things consoles do and considering them this massively different platform when that similar functionality is pretty damn close at hand.

Well ... yeah lol.

I'm talking present. Presently I wouldn't call the current small form factor PC's consoles, but in the future, when they are more refined and everything about the unit is created to mirror what consoles do then yeah, by all means call em a console. Right now, they are just small PC's trying to get some of the console cash.

I'm excited about the future really. Can't wait to have a console PC right next to my PS4 and Wii U. Will be glorious.

Now ... being able to afford all that is a different situation ....

system11

You guys talk about "the PC" like it's this magical new thing, when in reality people have been using PC's and even gaming on them long before consoles existed.

Only true in the very loosest definition of 'PC', you'd need to include early home computers like the VIC.

Nzyme32

Well ... yeah lol.

I'm talking present. Presently I wouldn't call the current small form factor PC's consoles, but in the future, when they are more refined and everything about the unit is created to mirror what consoles do then yeah, by all means call em a console. Right now, they are just small PC's trying to get some of the console cash.

I'm excited about the future really. Can't wait to have a console PC right next to my PS4 and Wii U. Will be glorious.

Now ... being able to afford all that is a different situation ....

Actually, most are entirely focused around Steam, and only Steam. They only target Steam users and anyone with a specific interest in PC gaming or particularly what Steam has to offer. Nothing about them thus far has anything to do with consoles other than allowing those interested to have a lounge friendly experience, in fact, the people in this thread that have them seemed happy to get them for that reason.

It certainly isn't for me (pre-built), but I will be building my own for a similar purpose - and again, not specifically to replace a console, but to play PC games in the lounge.

Isn't AMD getting their asses kicked right now? If consoles are dead, isn't AMD fucked?
AMD plans a comeback starting with GPUs in 2015 then APUs in 2016+ using HBM. The 2016 APU can be much cheaper and have PS4 performance with much smaller power levels. Combine that with the need for a Media Hub for the living room TV generated by ATSC 2.0 and Vidipath and you either have massive PS4 and XB1 sales and/or the start of the PC moving to the living room.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2309075-amd-the-apu-and-high-bandwidth-memory-maintaining-graphics-and-total-compute-performance-leadership said:
AMD is set to transition to High bandwidth memory (HBM) across their GPUs and APUs to address the bandwidth requirements going forward.
AMD could implement a high capacity/high bandwidth L3 cache using 2.5D stacked memory on silicon interposer for their first HBM implementation on APUs.
HBM should allow AMD to maintain graphics and total compute performance leadership over upcoming Intel system on chips like Broadwell and Skylake.
AMD is working on a new high performance x86 CPU microarchitecture, which will debut in 2016. This should improve the competitiveness of AMD APUs on pure CPU workloads.
AMD remains a good long-term investment for investors who are looking at a timeframe of 2+ years.

What makes it interesting is this patent where AMD uses HBM as a on interposer cache and still has a SLOWER main memory on a PC motherboard.

919423-14048427397300363-raghunathan78.png

HSAIL, Vulcan and SPIR might be how AMD is going to address power gating, Clock scaling and switching between CPUs (HSAIL addresses this but has no Graphics component) with SPIR possibly how AMD will support switching between low power and high performance GPU.

I don't understand this topic. Is OP saying consoles are dead?

I think he is (incorrectly) stating that as custom purpose gaming PC's get smaller, less expensive, and more powerful, they will replace the console market. I think that is silly, but I do believe that we could see an increase in gamers who buy a small form factor gaming pc as a secondary system.

Seanspeed

Banned
Im not familiar with PC gaming, so I don't comment about it. I stick with what I know, and I know that the process of playing a console game doesn't require DLC.

Since you play on both platforms, did you find fault with anything the OP said? Or are you just towing the PC line in a stupid "consoles are doomed" thread?
Feel free to read my posts and find out.

I will remember you said the bolded, though. ;)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If anything the info in the OP makes it sound to me like the components needed for consoles will be coming down in price so the next round of consoles could be more fully featured and more powerful than the current ones.

antibolo

Banned
What is the Game Console? I don't know about that product.

Or do you mean game consoles in general? In That Case Why Do You Uppercase It Every Single Time?

It's pretty hard to take your writing seriously when you do something like this.

Consoles aren't going to die, but I do agree they will pretty much be PCs with their own OS.
Xbox will become Windows 10 and Sony will make their own OS.

So consoles as we know it may die, but they will continue to exist in another form.

I think he is (incorrectly) stating that as custom purpose gaming PC's get smaller, less expensive, and more powerful, they will replace the console market. I think that is silly, but I do believe that we could see an increase in gamers who buy a small form factor gaming pc as a secondary system.
No I'm saying that the PS4 and XB1 were designed to be media hubs and game servers for other platforms in the home. This is a function that will also be part of 2016 PCs. OEM PCs with windows 8 are for the first time Embedded computers and can be game consoles. All other considerations mentioned by others in this thread are also necessary for a Game Console.

A 2016 AMD SoC with HBM should meet every test for a Game Console as a PC connected to the living room TV.

TheSlySoul said:
Consoles aren't going to die, but I do agree they will pretty much be PCs with their own OS.
Xbox will become Windows 10 and Sony will make their own OS.

So consoles as we know it may die, but they will continue to exist in another form.
Yes!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I don't understand this topic. Is OP saying consoles are dead?

No, he is saying that they are rapidly dying, not dead.

And he is wrong.

He misses the single biggest reason why the Playstation, Xbox, and Wii consoles will continue to be around for the long haul: proprietary markets. Sony wants their games on the Playstation so that they have control over the environment their games get released on. Same for Microsoft (how many Xbox games do you see on PC? yep) and Nintendo.

If anything, many years from now (like over a decade), the big three MIGHT transition to PC in the form of a proprietary app or service not unlike Steam. But this will only happen IF the PC becomes cheap enough, easy enough, and common enough that people begin using them in their living rooms for media stuff instead of gaming consoles.
Those are some VERY big if's however, and personally I don't see it happening. And I'm a PC only gamer.

If anything, many years from now (like over a decade), the big three MIGHT transition to PC in the form of a proprietary app or service not unlike Steam. But this will only happen IF the PC becomes cheap enough, easy enough, and common enough that people begin using them in their living rooms for media stuff instead of gaming consoles.
Those are some VERY big if's however, and personally I don't see it happening. And I'm a PC only gamer.
I think it will be like this. There is still money in Xbox and Playstation branding.
Heck, I would probably by a Nintendo phone because Nintendo.
Although it will probably be set specs since buying in bulk will be easy. I can imagine developers can publish games on the PSN store. Will be nice for indie developers to have less publishing hurtles.

No doubt for me games will be all streaming services in 5,10,15 years, no reason to have an expensive console/pc in the living room when all you need is a roku or firetv or software built in the tv, and just stream games

Umm, I mean. Just...uh, ok. I also play on both platforms and I don't really agree with the OP. I definitely think that consoles as we know it won't survive another generation but we will see them as something else entirely. What that is, I have no idea.

No one is saying that, other than the OP I think. The idea of a convergence occurring over time, is a pretty solid one and that is quite noticeably ongoing.

Bringing up data for the almighty death of desktop vs tablet is hilariously typical of you. What does that have to do with small form factor PCs, that on all assumptions, wouldn't behave or function as a typical desktop? It's like comparing android phones to android set top boxes. Markets established at different times, growing at different rates, serving differing functionality and with completely different use cases and often different sets of customers; not to mention the android set top boxes (or small form factor PCs) being a minuscule market now, having only started an escalating appearance recently.

No one is threatening you blessed consoles, or claiming that somehow PCs will wipe them out. Consoles and PCs will likely be very different in decades to come. Lounge friendly PCs are certainly a possibility if the improvements seen now continue and PCs continue to iterate on their usability and form factors

PCs in the living room are not a recent appearance, they have been around for a decade. The pc market has everything to do with the topic. How can a shrinking market cause the death of a different, booming one? Small form factor pc's are an ultra niche market of a shrinking market. Indeed you're right, they're not threatening consoles. Seriously, who is buying a small form factor PC? How many CoD/Fifa crowd(the drivers of this industry) are dying to get $600 pc instead of a $399 console? Forget the price disparity, everyone would still buy the PS4 if the PC cost $399 or even less. Alienware and the likes have neither the history or marketing dollars to launch their products against household names of the industry. The Alienware Alpha is not a pc, it's an awkward console, it ships with an Xbox controller. PC vendors are starting to make consoles now.

That's good for the few people that want them(I'd take that Steam machine prototype), these products will have their own niche market like the OUYA and Android consoles.

Nzyme32

PCs in the living room are not a recent appearance, they have been around for a decade. The pc market has everything to do with the topic. How can a shrinking market cause the death of a different, booming one? Small form factor pc's are an ultra niche market of a shrinking market. Indeed you're right, they're not threatening consoles. Seriously, who is buying a small form factor PC? How many CoD/Fifa crowd(the drivers of this industry) are dying to get $600 pc instead of a $399 console? Forget the price disparity, everyone would still buy the PS4 if the PC cost $399 or even less. Alienware and the likes have neither the history or marketing dollars to launch their products against household names of the industry. The Alienware Alpha is not a pc, it's an awkward console, it ships with an Xbox controller. PC vendors are starting to make consoles now.

That's good for the few people that want them(I'd take that Steam machine prototype), these products will have their own niche market like the OUYA and Android consoles.

Key word I used was escalating. There are an ever increasing amount of products from streaming solutions to small form factor machines of both custom board sizes and full sized components; of course all unproven and in a minuscule market size now.

"How many CoD/Fifa crowd(the drivers of this industry)"

Considering this is your idea of small form factor PCs potential market possibilities, despite my rant about the future and functionality, use cases etc of such systems being so different decades away, AND not forgetting the mention of convergence between the console and PC overtime as well, there is no point in having this discussion with you. Just watch the state of things and what we do with them change of time. The idea that the world revolves around video games, is so pointless to argue against with this kind of commentary.

kephyr

Neo Member
It is about the game selling business, not a PC or console device business.

Example UK 2014 software sells:

1. 360 - 7,283,000 (-45%)
2. PS4 - 6,754,000 (+407%)
3. One - 5,635,000 (+384%)
4. PS3 - 4,570,000 (-52%)
5. 3DS - 1,887,000 (-24%)
6. PC - 1,560,000 (-40%)
7. Wii U - 945,000 (+32%)
8. Wii - 651,000 (-60%)
9. NDS - 480,000 (-60%)
10. PSV - 408,000 (-19%)

PC position? It is my answer.

Biker19

Banned
This is all assuming that games are going to remain the primary focus of consoles. But I think it's been pretty clear that Microsoft and Sony view their machines as long term investments in a war for being the prime middle men of all media consumption in the living room. If everyone watches TV and buys movies and whatnot through their own online services, that's a pretty damn lucrative position to be in getting a cut from all the ad revenue and licenses and whatnot. I don't see how it even makes sense to bleed so much money into their console divisions otherwise.

I am pretty sure this was the reason for Microsoft's initial TV-focused strategy for the Xbox One. They've seen how the core gaming industry has been shrinking and they did not expect this to be enough to drive sales of their console in the long term. It was too premature from a PR standpoint though so they ended up in an awkward position and had to flip flop their image.

Sony just knows to be more quiet about their plans. After all, they're the ones who patented this:

Though the war for the living room was already over. Mobile devices among computer tablets have taken over that spot a long time ago.

I don't know what Microsoft was thinking by going that outdated route of Cable TV. It would've worked very well in the 90's, or during the Wii/PS3/360 era before tablets among other mobile devices were born, but today in 2015? Nah. Even Sony knew that the writing was on the wall & had focused on making a (mostly) pure gaming console with PS4.

6. PC - 1,560,000 (-40%)
8. Wii - 651,000 (-60%)
9. NDS - 480,000 (-60%)
10. PSV - 408,000 (-19%)

Retail numbers on a platform that barely has a retail presence?

6. PC - 1,560,000 (-40%)
8. Wii - 651,000 (-60%)
9. NDS - 480,000 (-60%)
10. PSV - 408,000 (-19%)

Those are retail sales and you posted no source. Seriously? Although it doesn't really matter. OPs point wasn't about the economy of the matter, it was about the technology.

If that is retail only, then the PC is still doing way better than I would have expected. Must be Football Manager.

6. PC - 1,560,000 (-40%)
8. Wii - 651,000 (-60%)
9. NDS - 480,000 (-60%)
10. PSV - 408,000 (-19%)

I don't think that properly tracks Origin, Steam, Humble etc.

Nzyme32

6. PC - 1,560,000 (-40%)
8. Wii - 651,000 (-60%)
9. NDS - 480,000 (-60%)
10. PSV - 408,000 (-19%)

We have been through this a ridiculous amount of times - From the OP of that thread

Remember: This is software at retail. No digital storefront sales. And this is not hardware.

Considering that is only retail, it's pretty bloody impressive regardless. I'm sure those top 7 have healthy digital sales as well, but the majority of PC sale are only digital

Exactly. When reading the OP I couldn't help but feel like it was written without any understanding of the human element that plays into why consoles still sell so well. The OP is extremely well written and raises valid points, but you put that in front of your average consumer and not only will they not understand it, they'll stop reading after the first paragraph. Consumers want plug-and-play simplicity first and foremost.

Correct. Consoles are popular and will continue to sell well for the foreseeable future for some of the same reasons that iPhones, iPads, Chromecasts, etc. sell well.

I think a lot of very tech-savvy people (and some entire high-tech companies) out there are out of touch with the mindset of the average Joe and thus have a shortsighted view of how the world works. It's all tech, tech, tech to them. The average consumer does not understand and has no interest in bits, gigabytes, boops, beeps, SoC, Vsync, AA, 4K, GPGPU, etc...that stuff may as well be a foreign language to them. They just want things to be reliable and easy to set up at a reasonable price. They don't want to put in any significant busywork physically or mentally to get to their entertainment (games, Netflix), their productivity, their Facebook, email, etc.

Convenience wrapped in an intuitive easy-to-understand package and a good price will sell. That was true many years ago, is true today and will be true in the future. A clear consistent message and one or two killer apps helps, too.

nw3

OP has his head way too burried in technical mubo jumbo and fails to even mention one of the fundamental reasons consoles are here to stay - brand.

Your average joe cares not whether PCs are matching consoles from a technical and OS standpoint - Xbox and Playstation legacy & brand strength helps keep them at the top and will for many years to come.

Key word I used was escalating. There are an ever increasing amount of products from streaming solutions to small form factor machines of both custom board sizes and full sized components; of course all unproven and in a minuscule market size now.

"How many CoD/Fifa crowd(the drivers of this industry)"

Considering this is your idea of small form factor PCs potential market possibilities, despite my rant about the future and functionality, use cases etc of such systems being so different decades away, AND not forgetting the mention of convergence between the console and PC overtime as well, there is no point in having this discussion with you. Just watch the state of things and what we do with them change of time. The idea that the world revolves around video games, is so pointless to argue against with this kind of commentary.

What functionality and use cases are you talking about? You seem to think small form factor pc's will become the next booming market, and that the definitions we have for various product categories will suddenly become hazy or vanish just because of them. You just ignore the fact that they have existed for use in the living room as well as for business and work for many years. I dunno if you've ever seen those small lenovo/hp pc's not bigger than a modem. The future of technology lies with streaming, whether it's a console or pc, they will all be streamed. They will become a service. The future does not lie with the small form factor pc which now try to mingle itself in the console market dominated by powerhouse names.

There's a reason you got banned from Beyond3D, isn't there OP?

Sony posts some of their highest sales rates ever, and MS sells faster than both 360 and OG in the same period spells death for consoles, and that apparently Sony and MS will sell their third party services to other companies aka Sega??

I get that the marketplace is becoming more saturated with more and more ways to play games, but that just means more choice for the consumer. Unless your expecting a 1983 type crash, its not really worth all of this doomsday nonsense.
Yup, the final straw was my insisting the next generation game consoles (XB1 and PS4) would have CE features and need a seperate processing path and memory for vision and audio processing. I was correct (Xtensa processors and for the PS4 it's in the Southbridge with 256 MB of memory) but that's beside the point. I also insisted that the PS4 would have a browser desktop which was an unpopular opinion with Shifty. Windows 10, XB1 and PS4 all have browser/openGL desktops. I speculated that DirectX would move from brute force to using more efficient ARM GPU techniques like tiling and Direct X 12 supports tiling...that comment created another firestorm.

Is this what happens when the "PC master race" circle-jerk takes itself seriously?

Consoles will "die" for me when AAA game development is focused solely on PC, and when computers become idiot-proof.

KingJ2002

Game Consoles will never die as long as there is a demand for an entertainment box in the living room / kids room.

then again.. Dedicated "games only" consoles died with the Gamecube. I see a digital future for consoles as games can now be streamed over services like PS Now... but thats not going to be standard for at least a decade.... especially with bills like SOPA and other variants still looming.

jstripes

Banned
What is this, 2007? I keep hearing this rhetoric, and it always seems like the people spouting it really want it to happen.

Kinda like preferring Coke and hoping that Pepsi goes out of business.

It's some psychological reassurance about knowing for sure that one made the right choice and having everyone else know too.

//ARCANUM

Right. Consoles are gonna die. Because parents want to go to target and buy a computer and bring that home and install drivers and updates and have a plethora of glitches they don't understand how to fix so their kid can play an E rated game on Christmas morning.

OP - remember to sometimes think outside of the box you live in which is all about graphics and frames per second and anti aliasing and remember what the video game industry started for: fun. The family factor is so often forgotten around here to a baffling extent.

Nestunt

No

Why are phones and tablets so successful? Convenience. The majority of buyers dont even use half of those machines' processing power

In order for console gaming to die a lot of things need to happen

Connecting your PC/phone/tablet/chipset to the biggest screen in the house with the best sitting furniture and with the traditional dual joystick controllers and with graphics like GTA/AC Unity/FIFA/COD/Halo/Uncharted and the design depth of games like TLOU/Skyrim/Mass Effect is as fast and confortable as when you come back from shopping with your wife and picked up a new game at the store, booted the console, sit down, grab the controller and enjoy the top of the line blockbuster/oscar game

When that confusing paragraph can be done with a PC or phone, then consoles will die

I agree that "dedicated" anything in technology has an expiration date, but if the amphibian solution is not as comfortable and convenient as the standard, people will choose the standard

Top Bottom