• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/09 - 02/15

BishopLamont said:
Ah I see, thanks.

Prediction time:

Star Ocean 4
First week - 170k
LTD - 250k

If it doesnt sell more than WKC can we officially declare Square legally retarded? An established franchise, with quite large sales on previous installments (although the user base was much huger I know) compared to a brand new IP. It HAS to sell more than WKC.

I seriously dont understand Square Enix, the reason they gave for XIII going multi was rise of costs and all that crap, more money etc etc, yet they go along and keep publishing half assed exclusives on the 360. The 360, which has the lowest userbase in Japan of all 3 consoles, and which is not known for JRPG's anyway. It seriously just boggles the mind and goes against all concepts of common sense. MS must be lining someones pockets somewhere.

donny2112

pseudocaesar said:
MS must be lining someones pockets somewhere.

That or Square needs the revenue sooner rather than later, and 360 development is faster. It also helps to build up jRPG awareness in the international 360 owner market in preparation for FFXIII's release to that userbase.

t3nmilez

pseudocaesar said:
If it doesnt sell more than WKC can we officially declare Square legally retarded? An established franchise, with quite large sales on previous installments (although the user base was much huger I know) compared to a brand new IP. It HAS to sell more than WKC.

I seriously dont understand Square Enix, the reason they gave for XIII going multi was rise of costs and all that crap, more money etc etc, yet they go along and keep publishing half assed exclusives on the 360. The 360, which has the lowest userbase in Japan of all 3 consoles, and which is not known for JRPG's anyway. It seriously just boggles the mind and goes against all concepts of common sense. MS must be lining someones pockets somewhere.

Selling more than WKC would be an insane attach rate, like 1/3rd of all 360 owners will own Star Ocean 4. I'm sure the game is going to be popular but expecting numbers like that is setting yourself up for failure.

I'm sure SE has their reasons for developing exclusives on the 360, I'm sure they're aware of the number of consoles sold in Japan and the current market. Yet, the continue to develop for it, I'm sure they have an objective other than throwing money away.

13 being delayed to hell and back and TLR nowhere in sight would give me the impression that PS3 development is much more complicated than the 360 and thus it might be more effort than it's worth. Of course, that's just my speculation. Oh well, either way, the 360 is definitely known for JRPGs now. The way you talk though, it sounds like you're a non-360 owner who's whining that your genre of choice isn't represented on your system. You want to play RPGs, you buy a 360. That's definitely the image that they're aiming for here.

By reading 2ch and other places, a lot of PS3 owners who like RPGs refuse to buy a 360 because they're relying on Sony to eventually get the games on their system. Some of them eventually break down, but some stand strong with their stubbornness. If the PS3 fails to get these games and other RPGs during its time, I think that whatever left of the JRPG loyalty that Playstation has is going to be shredded, and Xbox3 will be seen in a much more positive light at launch.

donny2112 said:
That or Square needs the revenue sooner rather than later, and 360 development is faster. It also helps to build up jRPG awareness in the international 360 owner market in preparation for FFXIII's release to that userbase.

What you quoted is much more likely.

Hardware | This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD
NDS | 68,293 | 62,013 | 680,002 | 25,799,645
PSP | 34,256 | 34,969 | 411,782 | 11,775,801
WII | 21,016 | 20,412 | 285,017 | 7,763,918
PS3 | 18,656 | 16,082 | 179,339 | 2,801,767
360 | 9,833 | 8,311 | 73,738 | 904,278
PS2 | 5,332

Good God! The hardware sales are just pathetic. I mean I know they're better then last weak but damn. It's not that the DS's or Wii's sales are being eaten by other systems but more so that they are losing on the ground they were using in the first place.

pseudocaesar said:

Especially after hyping the serious up with PLAYSTATION Portable remakes.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
pseudocaesar said:
Yes, but expect it be front loaded as hell, and still not sell as well as WKC did. Its been getting poor reviews in the west.

Sidenote, can someone post previous First week and LTD sales of Star Ocean. I still think Square are retarded for making it a 360 exclusive. It just wont sell that much as it would if it were multiplat or even a ps3 exclusive.
You are coming off as a bitter and jealous PS3 owner.

Jesus calm down the lot of you. Yes I own a PS3, but that doesnt mean I cant make an objective opinion on what I think Square are doing. If its wrong, or if you disagree then thats fine, everyone should be entitled to an opinion, yet your all just jumping on the "Hes a ps3 fanboy" bandwagon, and frankly its tired and petty. Im not jealous or spiteful, the only JRPG i own is Valkyria Chronicles, and last gen the only one I owned was FFX. So no, im not jealous of what console gets JRPG's, simply because I dont play them. My argument was centred on JRPGs simply because thats what Square make. Im sure if they were an FPS only company I wouldnt be talking about JRPG's would I.
All I was saying is, it would make more sense for them to release multiplat games, to make more money, since that was there excuse for FFXIII going multi.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
there's no way SO4 is gonna outsell WKC. Like someone mentioned it needs an insane attach rate for it to do so.

dolemite

Flying_Phoenix said:
Hardware | This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD
NDS | 68,293 | 62,013 | 680,002 | 25,799,645
PSP | 34,256 | 34,969 | 411,782 | 11,775,801
WII | 21,016 | 20,412 | 285,017 | 7,763,918
PS3 | 18,656 | 16,082 | 179,339 | 2,801,767
360 | 9,833 | 8,311 | 73,738 | 904,278

PS2 | 5,332
So what's gonna happen first, 360 crossing 1 million, PS3 crossing 3 million, or Wii crossing 8 million?

Lightning

Banned
t3nmilez said:
By reading 2ch and other places, a lot of PS3 owners who like RPGs refuse to buy a 360 because they're relying on Sony to eventually get the games on their system. Some of them eventually break down, but some stand strong with their stubbornness. If the PS3 fails to get these games and other RPGs during its time, I think that whatever left of the JRPG loyalty that Playstation has is going to be shredded, and Xbox3 will be seen in a much more positive light at launch.
I don't think we will see such a difference in hardware between Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony next gen as we saw this gen. Nintendo have taken a bath as far as 3rd party quality games go because of that and Microsoft are unlikely to ever gain enough traction to ever be a factor in Japan. Even now, if it's not exclusive from a top developer the 360 software sales just totally fucking suck. If there is another option Japan are not interested in the 360.

If JRPG's were more of a factor outside Japan it would help MS A LOT. But alas, outside Japan they are meaningless and very easily forgotten minus a very few franchises.

Certainly not worth investing in. Square Enix are further proving this but their total desperation in trying to get outside this "just JRPG" mold they have dug themselves into.

What's the general consensus on the effect Monster Hunter 3 will have on Wii hardware sales? It was my understanding that the console versions usually only sold 1/4 or 1/5 as much as the portable.

Link

The Autumn Wind
SimpleDesign said:
What's the general consensus on the effect Monster Hunter 3 will have on Wii hardware sales? It was my understanding that the console versions usually only sold 1/4 or 1/5 as much as the portable.
It'll get the standard 2-3 week bump. Anything beyond that is up to having other compelling software available.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Little article I wrote on the 360 subject: http://chartget.com/2009/02/landmark-360-hits-900k-in-japan-still.html

I'll give you the good stuff though:

mc-16-consoles-360-LTD.png

Lightning

Banned
SimpleDesign said:
I'm happy that Microsoft does not agree with you.
But for how long? MS won't keep it up forever with current sales and you are kidding yourself thinking they will.

What hurts JRPG's is their western sales. They need to improve.

harSon

Banned
Lightning said:
But for how long? MS won't keep it up forever with current sales and you are kidding yourself thinking they will.

What hurts JRPG's is their western sales. They need to improve.

They've proven that they can sell consoles, albeit at a slow rate, in Japan. They're not going to abandon progress, the pursuing of Japanese centric titles won't let up until well into Microsoft's next console. It'd be dumb to build momentum and completely kill it off.

Prophane33

Surprised to see the 360 version of Street Fighter IV ranking so high. Even though it's a major game that's multi-platform, I figured most people (in Japan anyway) would go with the PS3 version.

Lightning

Banned
harSon said:
They've proven that they can sell consoles, albeit at a slow rate, in Japan. They're not going to abandon progress, the pursuing of Japanese centric titles won't let up until well into Microsoft's next console. It'd be dumb to build momentum and completely kill it off.
Be realistic man. How many consoles do you think these minor niche JRPG's are going to sell? I also haven't seen any noticeable increase in 3rd party multi platform games that the Japanese like either.

You cannot break into a market with Star Ocean, Last Remnant, Tales of Versperia etc... type games. You need something that is going to really push things, none of those come close. At the current rate it will take Microsoft 10+ years to be anything meaningful and even then they will need something that has much greater pull as far as mass market is concerned.

t3nmilez

Lightning said:
Be realistic man. How many consoles do you think these minor niche JRPG's are going to sell? I also haven't seen any noticeable increase in 3rd party multi platform games that he Japanese like either.

Take a look at last year's console sales before and after Vesperia...

Most titles are multiplat now, very different to Japanese support for the original box.

There are lots of exclusive 3rd party games that are very targeted to Japanese people, such as shooters and visual novels...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think Microsoft (and the fear of Microsoft) has already changed the gaming landscape in Japan forever. It's ridiculously ignorant to suggest that the 360 has had zero impact on the Japanese market, when clearly there are signs all around suggesting otherwise.

Just because they hold a minimum of market share in Japan doesn't mean that their presence isn't altering the battle.

Lightning said:
Be realistic man. How many consoles do you think these minor niche JRPG's are going to sell? I also haven't seen any noticeable increase in 3rd party multi platform games that the Japanese like either.

You cannot break into a market with Star Ocean, Last Remnant, Tales of Versperia etc... type games. You need something that is going to really push things, none of those come close. At the current rate it will take Microsoft 10+ years to be anything meaningful and even then they will need something that has much greater pull as far as mass market is concerned.
You're very short sighted.

Lightning

Banned
PantherLotus said:
I think Microsoft (and the fear of Microsoft) has already changed the gaming landscape in Japan forever. It's ridiculously ignorant to suggest that the 360 has had zero impact on the Japanese market, when clearly there are signs all around suggesting otherwise.

Just because they hold a minimum of market share in Japan doesn't mean that their presence isn't altering the battle.
That is not what I am meaning, I know Microsoft have had an impact. Money makes impact and Microsoft are intelligent and aggressive, combine those 2 qualities, and you will make an impact. Their is no doubt that the 360 is taking Japanese console sales from the PS3 but my point is that Microsoft have not yet done enough and are showing not enough signs of actually becoming competitive in Japan.

You can say many things, but based on software and hardware price, if Japan didn't grudge the 360 then MS would be wiping the floor with the PS3.

Microsoft also need to change Square on FFXIII in Japan. The 360 needs a Japanese version as well or come gens end I can see Sony having quite a bit of momentum themselves to take into next gen.

Tideas

Banned
PantherLotus said:

no. it hasn't. if it has, it'll be like a mosquito biting on a dinosaur

Lightning said:
That is not what I am meaning, I know Microsoft have had an impact. Money makes impact and Microsoft are intelligent and aggressive, combine those 2 qualities, and you will make an impact. Their is no doubt that the 360 is taking Japanese console sales from the PS3 but my point is that Microsoft have not yet done enough and are showing not enough signs of actually becoming competitive in Japan.

You can say many things, but based on software and hardware price, if Japan didn't grudge the 360 then MS would be wiping the floor with the PS3.

Microsoft also need to change Square on FFXIII in Japan. The 360 needs a Japanese version as well or come gens end I can see Sony having quite a bit of momentum themselves to take into next gen.
You don't seem to take into consideration that the Xbox 360 was coming off of the negative reception of the original Xbox, which was a joke in Japan and barely sold 400,000 units. Most of which were in the first year, it pretty much died after that.

While the PS3 is coming off of the positive reception of the PS2, which is the best selling console to date in Japan. For all the positive momentum the console had, here we are.

For all your talk of momentum carrying between generations, I'm confused why you don't take those examples into consideration. It might explain why the 360 is having a hard time and why the PS3 is still surviving despite being in a bad position.

DogWelder

PantherLotus said:

Daaaaaamn, that's a bold statement.

...with which I agree.

Firestorm

pseudocaesar said:

I don't think tri-Ace has the manpower to work on multiple systems... They'd already begun work on Infinite Undiscovery and I believe Microsoft helped fund that. They developed SO4 on the same (but improved) engine.

Famitsu, Media Create, and Dengeki? Which should I believe?!

PantherLotus said:
They're already a true competitor in Japan.

Well I meant in terms of the console war sales. For example in North America it is seen that any system that reaches the 10 million mark is seen as a mainstream competitor.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Famitsu, Media Create, and Dengeki? Which should I believe?!

Well I meant in terms of the console war sales. For example in North America it is seen that any system that reaches the 10 million mark is seen as a mainstream competitor.

I doubt the 360 (or any western console) would ever reach a mainstream competitor status in Japan unless they secured an exclusive mainline DQ and FF.

freddy

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
The Xbox brand in Japan is in a distant third place and despite all the "hey its doing bettter than Xbox(the one legged triple jumper)", it's doing shit. You can try justify it to yourselves but if you look at sales objectively, it's doing shit.

EDIT: Just to clarify. It's doing shit.

t3nmilez

So, I went to a couple of stores earlier today, Bic Camera and a fairly big game store to pick up some shooters. Both stores had big Star Ocean 4 advertisements, and both stores were completely sold out of the game and bundles. I think this'll easily outpace Vesperia, I saw plenty of copies of that game within the first week. Hell, it might even manage to take out Blue Dragon.

I wonder what that initial shipment is...

AranhaHunter said:
I doubt the 360 (or any western console) would ever reach a mainstream competitor status in Japan unless they secured an exclusive mainline DQ and FF.
Being a western console has nothing to do with the performance of the 360.

HK-47 said:
Mario and Pokemon are far and away the heaviest hitters in the industry. How else do you also explain the huge disparity between Mario Party and all the other minigame collections? It certainly isnt better than them.
In addition to the Mario advantage it has the "got in on the ground floor" advantage. It's not just one of many board-game-ish party-time mini-game collections; it's one whose initial success is surely responsible for many of the other such games following it. Not unlike Mario Kart.
SimpleDesign said:
No real consensus. The home games sold much less than the portables, but at the time of the last home game release no portable version had yet hit 1 million either (EDIT: Actually, it hadn't hit 500K yet either.), let alone 2 approaching 3.

Game 2386 there in early 2006 is the last major PS2 release, Monster Hunter 2. Though 2923 is the "Best" rerelease it had in mid-2007, and it doesn't seem to have been bumped much by the portable success, either. What will the first all-new console game in the series do in a post-series-explosion world? Hard to say.

I know you were asking about hardware sales, but certainly that's quite related to what the software does long-term.

Now for some numbers-based numbers.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 218 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 170.4 weeks (June 4, 2003), where DS was at 96.9 weeks (October 7, 2006), and where GBA was at 147.0 weeks (January 11, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 166 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 16.0 weeks (December 30, 2001), where PS3 was at 28.4 weeks (May 23, 2007), and where Wii was at 4.7 weeks (December 29, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: After 118 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 32.7 weeks (October 13, 2000), where PSP was at 57.8 weeks (January 14, 2006), where GCN was at 118.9 weeks (December 20, 2003), and where Wii was at 30.9 weeks (June 30, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 115 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 93.7 weeks (January 3, 2003), where DS was at 75.1 weeks (May 8, 2006), where PS2 was at 111.7 weeks (April 19, 2002), and where PSP was at 162.1 weeks (January 14, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 15 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 32.7 weeks (September 26, 2003), and where DSL was at 12.1 weeks (May 22, 2006).

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 66.6 / 33.4 bring total shares to 68.8 / 31.2. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 411.4 weeks (January 4, 2017).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 34.5 / 65.5 bring total shares to 24.4 / 75.6. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 193.1 weeks (October 29, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 47.0 / 53.0 bring total shares to 26.5 / 73.5. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 266.0 weeks (March 23,2014).

Week over week, most things are up by a few hundred to a few thousand. PSP is the exception, down by less than a thousand.
X360

t3nmilez said:
So, I went to a couple of stores earlier today, Bic Camera and a fairly big game store to pick up some shooters.

you bought DodonPachi Black Label, Shooting Love 200x or both of them ? There were many copies left ?

Top Bottom