• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/09 - 02/15

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Flying_Phoenix said:
Tenchu IV PSP - At least it didn't immediately die like the Wii version. So this puts it from "Pathetic" to "Horrible". Still a ridiculous drop for the series though. What happened to this though? Did it actually get advertised? Or is the Tenchu base on the PSP now?

I never knew the Tenchu series was that big... how much did the previous versions sell?

icecream

Public Health Threat
BishopLamont said:
Idolmaster PSP has already outsold the 360 version's LTD nearly 2.5 times over. Well done Banco.
You forget the fact that the idols are spread over three titles, and those three titles are combined for total sales. Many people (including myself) are buying all three just to get a complete set, when with the X360 version, we only had to buy one.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Is that a record for Idolmaster?
Not necessarily.

h3ro said:
Still, the 360 install base is there (they all bought Katamari damn it)...
The Katamari and Ace Combat 6 entries are due to 360 bundles, not retail sales (the same reason GT5P Spec III charted for so long on the PS3 side).

Rolf NB

Spiegel said:
Yeah, 360 is going to sell 1 million+ but for a console with these exclusives/timed-exclusives: Star Ocean IV, New IP from Sakaguchi & Toriyama, Tales of Vesperia, 2 Capcom Games, New IP from Square-Enix, New IP from Sakaguchi, New IP from Tri-ace,...

Xbox 1 sold half of that in ~the same time with no exclusive RPG and almost no japanese support.
In the end, selling half a million more was worth the effort for Microsoft?
They kept all these people busy, preventing them from doing what they would do anyway on different platforms.

test_account

XP-39C²
Kiriku said:
I never knew the Tenchu series was that big... how much did the previous versions sell?
Flying_Phoenix has already mentioned how much Tenchu 3 sold and how much a PSP game of Tenchu sold, and i made a post earlier in this thread about how much i think that Tenchu 1 sold :)

test_account said:
I think i found out how much Tenchu 1 sold in Japan, at least in the first year when the game come out. If i am not mistaken, Geimin.net has the Famitsu top 100 number for 1998, and Tench is at the 48th place with 244,769 copies sold.

http://geimin.net/da/db/1998_ne_fa/index.php

EDIT: By the way, thanks to bttb for mentioning that Geimin.net are listing the Famitsu numbers. I probably wouldnt have known about Geimin.net if bttb hadnt mentioned it some weeks ago :)
It seems that the Tenchu series have gone down quite much in popularity, atleast when comparing the Tenchu 4 sales to how much some of the previous Tenchu games sold.

EDIT: I added some text.

Tideas

Banned
Kagari said:
They underestimated demand, that's for sure. Seems they have with the Asian version as well D:.

unless it's different in Japan than it is in the US, publishers only ship as many games as the retailers order isn't it?

So whether the game undership or overship is at the fault of the retailers.

h3ro said:
Thanks for the clarification.

Still, the 360 install base is there (they all bought Katamari damn it), a big ass release like that should chart. Well, at least the PS3 version is still there, doubt it'll be there next week though...

The Japanese have arcades. I would not have bothered with the console release if we had an arcade within 20 miles that had the game. Scratch that 50 miles.

And it sold really good anyway for a fighter on 2 unpopular systems.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
bttb said:
Famitsu Sales: February 2009 TOP10 (01/26 - 02/22)

01. [PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 (Bandai Namco) - 288,860 / NEW
02. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo) - 278,664 / NEW
03. [PSP] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) - 177,399 / NEW
04. [PS2] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) - 177,147 / NEW
05. [NDS] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix) - 170,595 / NEW
06. [360] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Square Enix) - 166,027 / NEW
07. [PSP] Idolmaster SP: Perfect Sun/Missing Moon/Wandering Star (Bandai Namco) - 121,271 / NEW
08. [PS3] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) - 102,803 / NEW
09. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom) - 86,632 / 429,531
10. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 69,900 / 3,179,099

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/monthly/1222413_1818.html

Street Fighter IV made it yes!!! Not only does Japan love their RPGs they love their Handheld systems.

I wonder if the first month of sales of FF13 will beat the first month of sales of SO4.

AniHawk said:
SFIV crashed and burned. It's up the the US to save it now.

I have a feeling US sales will be shockingly stronger than Japanese sales. Then again...I don't even know how successful SF4 has been at the arcades in Japan. That bad to end up with such iffy console sales?

Pai Pai Master said:
I have a feeling US sales will be shockingly stronger than Japanese sales. Then again...I don't even know how successful SF4 has been at the arcades in Japan. That bad to end up with such iffy console sales?

It's been meh. It premiered at like # 5 on Arcadia's chart.

Askia47

SF4 sales aren't great, but aren't terrible either. Its done ok overall. I would've liked to see it get to 150k tho.

t3nmilez

Flying_Phoenix said:
It's been meh. It premiered at like # 5 on Arcadia's chart.

However, it was rated the #1 arcade game of 2008 according to the Arcadia Awards.

The game is pretty popular in the arcades here, I can usually see people playing it whenever I hit them up. Not super popular like Tekken or Blazblue, but respectable enough.

Top Bottom