• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/09 - 02/15

Johann

Between the original Dead Rising's exclusivity on the 360 and its Z-rating, the series never built up much of a fanbase in Japan.

A lot of Capcom's franchises tend to do okay in Japan but become huge hits overseas. I guess its because they have a very Hollywood look and feel to them and they tend to only have English voice overs.

As or the DS shortages, I remember a plastic shortage causing some DS games to be shipped in cardboard cases instead of plastic cases. I think only Nintendo's games were affected.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Johann said:
Between the original Dead Rising's exclusivity on the 360 and its Z-rating, the series never built up much of a fanbase in Japan.

And the fact that this version seems to be utter shit didn't help

Minsc said:
Wasn't there a pretty major title within the last two years that got really screwed over by not getting a restock for almost 2 weeks (probably were a few I bet)? I want to say it was a FF or DQ, or something on that level anyway.
Final Fantasy III had steady restocking, but not enough to cause demand to sate as quickly as most RPGs.

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker dipped to ~10K multiple times, only to immediately bounce back to selling dozens of thousands as more stock came in.

Johann said:
It's still done pretty well for itself. Putting the original and Platinum rereleases together it was nearly at 100K by the end of 2008.

markatisu

schuelma said:
And the fact that this version seems to be utter shit didn't help

We will have to wait and see US sales but this might be one of the first times Capcom actually gets their expectation instead of surpassing it like they have always seemed to do (REUC was only expected at 600k worldwide and RE4 was only expected at 400k)

I have been reading some gamers impressions on various boards who picked it up in Japan and they seem to like it, they say its not the 360 but the zombies hoard you and make things not as easy as seen in the videos from Capcom.

test_account

XP-39C²
bttb said:
[360] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Square Enix) - 131,000 (80%)
Nice going of Star Ocean 4 i must say! :) And thanks for the other first day numbers numbers as well! :)

C.T. said:
Full price for a shitty port job...
A guy from Capcom said that Dead Rising for the Wii technicaly isnt a port.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44474.html (he says it from 1:11 in this video)

Maybe this is why they charge a full pric for the game? But i dont know :\

farnham said:
nintendo never was really desperate

they still made a lot of money off gamecube and gameboy advance back then
How much did Nintendo make off the Gamecube? I think i tried to look for this quite a while ago, but unfortuantely i dont think i found anything numbers specificly for the Gamecube earnings.

EDIT: I added some text.

farnham

Banned
test_account said:
How much did Nintendo make off the Gamecube? I think i tried to look for this quite a while ago, but unfortuantely i dont think i found anything numbers specificly for the Gamecube earnings.
there were a lot of interviews back then that nintendo never made losses with the gamecube

and nintendo only made a loss in its company history after they entered the video game industry in 2005~2006 (it was one fiscal quarter i think)

and that was because of the Rand D costs of the Wii,,,

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
bttb said:
First Day Sales (02/19)

[360] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Square Enix) - 131k

[PSP] Idolmaster SP: Perfect Sun (Bandai Namco) - 33k
[PSP] Idolmaster SP: Missing Moon (Bandai Namco) - 28k
[PSP] Idolmaster SP: Wandering Star (Bandai Namco) - 24k

[NDS] Shining Force Feather (Sega) - 19k
[PS2] Sacred Blaze (Flight Plan) - 14k

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10211471650.html
WOOOOOO GO SO4! :D

Poor Flight-Plan games, I guess it's not mega bomba but it's still pretty bad if things don't pick up. :(

botticus

jj984jj said:
WOOOOOO GO SO4! :D

Poor Flight-Plan games, I guess it's not mega bomba but it's still pretty bad if things don't pick up. :(
bttb said:
[NDS] Shining Force Feather (Sega) - 19,000 (30%)
[PS2] Sacred Blaze (Flight Plan) - 14,000 (30%)
~65k and 45k respectively.

test_account

XP-39C²
farnham said:
there were a lot of interviews back then that nintendo never made losses with the gamecube

and nintendo only made a loss in its company history after they entered the video game industry in 2005~2006 (it was one fiscal quarter i think)

and that was because of the Rand D costs of the Wii,,,
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :) I wonder how much the Gamecube cost to produce, if it was sold for about $99 US dollars, and they still made money? Or maybe they made most of the money from the Gamecube software sales?

The Gamecube didnt cost $99 US dollars before after 2 years after the Gamecube release though if i am not mistaken. Maybe they made money on the hardware sale before the Gamecube costed $99 US dollars, or did they make money on the hardware even when the Gamecube costed $99 US dollars?

RpgN

neojubei said:
Same here. Now I have a growing interest in the game.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
It was, when both of your first week shipments sell out almost immediately, even when you'd didn't advertise the game a lick or really seem to care about it. you know that it was basically sent to die, and were amazed by the fact it stood there in the fire looking rather content.

I think the bigger thing to note is why the bloody is 365 Days of Magic still selling?

Talk about random games with legs.

Yeah, that was more what I was thinking actually. It WAS sent to die but somehow managed to survive :D

Random indeed.

Great numbers for SOIV! I expected less. How front-loaded are SO games? Are they less front-loaded compared to Tales of games for instance?

donny2112

bakemono said:
So much negativity in this thread regarding 360 in Japan. We need someone like Jimbo to even out the field.

It's doing a lot better than it was. Almost 10K per week for the 360 was unheard of last Spring. I think jimbo was predicting 12-15K per week, though.

AranhaHunter said:
Of course it does.
:lol

bttb said:
First Day Sales (02/19)

[360] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Square Enix) - 131k

Perfectly met my expectations.

I'm totally baffled to as of why Final Fantasy isn't coming to the 360 in Japan. I mean Square-Enix releases this as an exclusive (for now) and The Last Remnant as a timed exclusive (I think that's the case at least) to built a steady JRPG fanbase for the console yet they won't release the biggest JRPG for it in Japan?

[Nintex] said:
Yay!

It's a good thing that Japan rejects shit like FFCC: EOT Wii and DR:CTYD.

Why Capcom bothered shipping nearly 20,000 units for the game is baffling to me.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
PSP software sales

Famitsu data from GEIMIN.net (thanks to bttb):
First number is total sales from GEIMIN. Second number is PSP sales in my database for the same period. Third number is the percentage of sales my database was tracking vs total sales.

Code:
2004:  551K /  544K / 98.7%
2005: 4179K / 3870K / 92.6%
2006: 6659K / 5717K / 85.9%
2007: 6750K / 6087K / 90.2%
2008: 9746K / 8399K / 86.2%

From the way that I do this calculation and the prevalence of end of year data vs. mid-year data, the six month periods A) won't sum up to the yearly totals and B) cover as high a percentage of the total sales. Also, we don't have a 2005 1st half Top 100, so that year will be a lower representation per half than the others. Just wanted to give an idea of where this is starting from, though.

JPNPSP.png

JPNGBA.png

Why GBA? It couldn't be DS. DS makes the PS2 look poor for total software. I didn't want to compare it to a console (e.g. GCN), since it's different markets. It looks like the PSP could approach GBA's total hardware sales, though GBA got there faster which likewise gives it a software advantage. However, there is less yearly or mid-year data for the GBA's lifespan, which lowers it some. GBA was also essentially a monopoly whereas PSP was pitted against the DS. The PSP did have the PlayStation name and publisher support going for it, though.

Since there isn't an exactly comparable system, GBA was chosen to at least give a frame of reference.

PSP software sales have gotten better. Monster Hunter Portable 2 G was half of the 2008 1st Half total, but I think it's still pretty clear that the PSP was improved in 2008 over its 2007 performance.

I've been a pretty strong advocate that the PSP hasn't been selling as a primarily UMD game playing device for a while now. Thinking about it more generationally, though, I think the PSP may be coming back a bit more toward the video game software side than it used to be. The PSP started out selling primarily for games. That didn't go so great as shown by the graph up through 2007. Pretty much no growth in 2007 despite Monster Hunter Portable 2 launching in the first half of 2007. Obviously this had an impact on developer support (and the overseas performance didn't help out much, either).

However despite that lowered publisher support, 2008 still saw good gains. Even though Monster Hunter Portable 2 G was over half of the 2008 1st Half total, that still means that the rest of the software was equivalent to 2006's 1st Half with fewer games (40 > 10K in 2006's 1st Half vs. 24 > 10K in 2008's 1st Half). 2008's 2nd Half showed similar improvement vs. 2006/2007 (8 games > 100K with 2 > 500K vs. 10 > 100k in 2006 and 7 > 100K in 2007 with 1 > 500K).

In short, I'd say that the PSP's software sales have improved a good amount over the past year, which I think is very surprising for a system this far into its generation. Nice! :)

I didn't catch this before.

Awesome analysis donny

bttb said:
Dengeki Sales: 02/09 - 02/15

Dengeki Software Totals
Code:
Hardware |  This Week |  Last Week |    YTD
NDS      |    504,351 |    336,350 |  3,930,893
Wii      |    114,290 |    126,504 |  1,799,169
PS3      |    185,817 |    128,816 |  1,068,295
PS2      |    122,805 |    105,175 |    867,725
PSP      |    205,945 |    198,800 |  1,819,255
X360     |     59,655 |     32,791 |    310,235
Total    |  1,192,863 |    928,436 |  9,795,572

PSP>WII in the YTD. Yeah, Nintendo has to do something

Tenbatsu

Ouch for Dead Rising Wii! Seriously did Capcom Japan market any of their Wii games? Zack & Wiki, TvC, Basara, We Love Golf, Dead Rising etc....

Ouch for Sonic too!

[Nintex]

I wouldn't rule out the Wii just yet, they've only planned releases up untill march. I've been told that they want to get the DSi out first in Europe and NA and then launch the Motion Plus shortly afterwards. My guess is Iwata will focus on the Motion Plus at his keynote at GDC.

Tenbatsu said:
Ouch for Dead Rising Wii! Seriously did Capcom Japan market any of their Wii games? Zack & Wiki, TvC, Basara, We Love Golf, Dead Rising etc....

Ouch for Sonic too!

Zack and Wiki had a $2 Million Advertising Budget (according to Sven). Tatsunoko vs Capcom had virtually no marketing for both the Wii and the Arcade Version. Not sure about the rest.

Flying_Phoenix said:
I'm totally baffled to as of why Final Fantasy isn't coming to the 360 in Japan. I mean Square-Enix releases this as an exclusive (for now) and The Last Remnant as a timed exclusive (I think that's the case at least) to built a steady JRPG fanbase for the console yet they won't release the biggest JRPG for it in Japan?

It was already pretty dumb for SCE to lose FF13 worldwide. It would be the dumbest thing in this generation if SCE couldn't even secure the exclusivity (even if just timed) of FF13 in Japan alone. In fact, from MS's side, it is not worth the money to buy a multi-platform deal for FF13 in Japan. It's not like M$ can single-handedly control the industry.

[Nintex]

AnimeTheme said:
It was already pretty dumb for SCE to lose FF13 worldwide. It would be the dumbest thing in this generation if SCE couldn't even secure the exclusivity (even if just timed) of FF13 in Japan alone. In fact, from MS's side, it is not worth the money to buy a multi-platform deal for FF13 in Japan. It's not like M$ can single-handedly control the industry.
I don't think it's up to MS, looking at the shipment I think the 100k+ opening for SO4 will turn some heads at Square-Enix. We're looking at a 2010 release for FFXIII at the earliest, considering S-E's golden rule(no mainline FF/DQ in the same fiscal year). In the end we might see an Xbox 360 version in Japan after all, since they're delaying the game anyway.

[Nintex] said:
I don't think it's up to MS, looking at the shipment I think the 100k+ opening for SO4 will turn some heads at Square-Enix. We're looking at a 2010 release for FFXIII at the earliest, considering S-E's golden rule(no mainline FF/DQ in the same fiscal year). In the end we might see an Xbox 360 version in Japan after all, since they're delaying the game anyway.

It's almost a known secret that MS paid a big sum of money to break the deal between Sony and SE to get the multiplatform release outside Japan. Don't tell me you think Sony was that dumb that they didn't have a deal with SE to secure the exclusivity of FF13 in Japan (and it probably existed long time ago). In MS's eyes, it's simply not worth the money and effort to do the same thing in Japan, since we all know that for most multiplatform titles, PS3 version always outsell XB360 versiob by a large margin. Either MS pay enough to steal the exclusivity from Sony, or they'd better just do nothing.

Paracelsus

AnimeTheme said:
It's almost a known secret that MS paid a big sum of money to break the deal between Sony and SE to get the multiplatform release outside Japan. Don't tell me you think Sony was that dumb that they didn't have a deal with SE to secure the exclusivity of FF13 in Japan (and it probably existed long time ago). In MS's eyes, it's simply not worth the money and effort to do the same thing in Japan, since we all know that for most multiplatform titles, PS3 version always outsell XB360 versiob by a large margin. Either MS pay enough to steal the exclusivity from Sony, or they'd better just do nothing.

No, wait, please explain:

They set up a strategy in Japan in order to steal as much momentum they could from Sony, to leave them out in the cold while they were getting all those AA Jrpgs, and yet they renounce to try on the biggest of all those titles? It seems strange.

Unless, they thought it was pointless because when x-title gets released at the same day on both PS3 and 360, the Xbox version barely puts up a fight, and no hardware is moved from either side, while with the Jrpgs they previously gathered they had the advantage of being the only platform to sell them.

botticus

Spiegel said:
PSP>WII in the YTD. Yeah, Nintendo has to do something
More software would probably be a good start.
bttb said:
Dengeki Software Totals
Code:
Hardware |  This Week |  Last Week |    YTD
NDS      |    504,351 |    336,350 |  3,930,893
[b]Wii      |    114,290 |    126,504[/b] |  1,799,169
[b]PS3      |    185,817 |    128,816[/b] |  1,068,295
PS2      |    122,805 |    105,175 |    867,725
PSP      |    205,945 |    198,800 |  1,819,255
X360     |     59,655 |     32,791 |    310,235
Total    |  1,192,863 |    928,436 |  9,795,572

[Nintex]

AnimeTheme said:
I'm sure some games are 'bought', but there isn't much reason for SE to release FFXIII exclusive for PS3 in Japan when they've been building a fanbase on Xbox 360. I think the "not multiplatform for Japan" line had to do with the fact that they had to port and translate the game. It certainly won't hit 2009 now so the only reason for S-E not to do a Japanese version is like you said, the lack of interest from Microsoft(which doesn't make any sense) or a moneyhat from Sony.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Zack and Wiki had a $2 Million Advertising Budget (according to Sven). Tatsunoko vs Capcom had virtually no marketing for both the Wii and the Arcade Version. Not sure about the rest.

Source?

ISTR him making a comment about Capcom spending more on the game than people think they did (dev-wise), but I don't recall a specific figure for ad spend - or even one as vague as "millions".

Keep in mind that the JPN PS3 version of FFXIII is going to be out six months to even a year before the rest of the world/360 version. The possibility exists that MS/SCE simply don't see the big deal in making a hub-bub over a game that won't be out day-and-date with the PS3 version.

With that in mind I'm certain the 360 JPN version of FFXIII will be announced sometime after the release of the PS3 JPN version. MS really has little reason to piss off a fanbase they've worked so hard to build up.

It should also be noted that one of Microsoft's Gaming Studios(Feelplus) helped with the development of Star Ocean 4 and Infinite Undiscovery. Their Square-Enix support is more than simply handing them blank checks. =/

[Nintex] said:
I'm sure some games are 'bought', but there isn't much reason for SE to release FFXIII exclusive for PS3 in Japan when they've been building a fanbase on Xbox 360.

You should realize that MS did pay SE to get that wave of exclusive JRPGs for XB360. It's not like SE "volunteer" to help boost XB360 sales and build a fanbase for them, as implied by some previous SE PR craps LOL

Flying_Phoenix said:
I saw TV commercials for TvC, they were aired during Tatsunoko shows like Yatterman. Haven't seen a single thing for Dead Rising, though.

Majmun

Pretty terrible Dead Rising sales.

So this means no Dead Rising 2 for the Wii and no Dead Rising clones either.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm not really impressed with Star Ocean 4. Star Ocean 3 opened at nearly 400k (first week, not first day, though I am sure you can see the point). And I understand this is the 360, but this is still a colossal step down. It was Tri-Ace's decision to put it on 360 (and only 360) instead of Wii or PS360.

Star Ocean was the one franchise I thought could shatter the 360 "glass ceiling" for RPGs since it was a dynamo in Japan last generation. I just don't see those results in the cards.

Maybe it's in line with your expectations-- and, to be frank, they were realistic-- but I can't see this as a huge success.

My one caveat here is a restock. If it shoots up to 200k, I'd be pretty impressed.

schuelma

Second said:
Pretty terrible Dead Rising sales.

So this means no Dead Rising 2 for the Wii and no Dead Rising clones either.

Why would Wii owners want a Dead Rising 2 given what the original turned into?

schuelma

Y2Kev said:
I'm not really impressed with Star Ocean 4. Star Ocean 3 opened at nearly 400k (first week, not first day, though I am sure you can see the point). And I understand this is the 360, but this is still a colossal step down? It was Tri-Ace's decision to put it on 360 (and only 360) instead of Wii or PS360.

Star Ocean was the one franchise I thought could shatter the 360 "glass ceiling" for RPGs since it was a dynamo in Japan last generation. I just don't see those results in the cards.

Maybe it's in line with your expectations-- and, to be frank, they were realistic-- but I can't see this as a huge success.

Agree kev. It's successful for what it is, but its still shaping up to be a massive downgrade from the usual sales.

harSon

Banned
These Star Ocean 4 numbers are pretty amazing, if it manages to sell 200k in it's first week then it will have an attach rate of roughly 20 percent. The 360 is definitely not a software juggernaut in Japan but the fanbase is pretty loyal and consistent with their software purchases.

Minsc

Gold Member
Y2Kev said:
I'm not really impressed with Star Ocean 4. Star Ocean 3 opened at nearly 400k (first week, not first day, though I am sure you can see the point). And I understand this is the 360, but this is still a colossal step down. It was Tri-Ace's decision to put it on 360 (and only 360) instead of Wii or PS360.

My one caveat here is a restock. If it shoots up to 200k, I'd be pretty impressed.

What was Star Ocean 3's sell through for first day & first week (ultimately the initial shipment #), and what was the size of the console user base it was on when it was released? I think those have to be factored in as well.

Y2Kev

Minsc said:
What was Star Ocean 3's sell through for first day & first week (ultimately the initial shipment #), and what was the size of the console user base it was on when it was released? I think those have to be factored in as well.
I already have factored them in (I mention them). I can't find first day but I reported first week via Garaph.

I'm not saying the numbers are poor, but they are pretty much what they needed to be. I would suggest Tri-Ace could not afford another Infinite Undiscovery.

Y2Kev said:

Speaking for the reason that it was only on 360:

Tri-Ace began development of the title before PS3 development kits were out, and most likely Wii kits as well. That *should* put it at a time when the Wii wasn't looked at as being the likely candidate for being the #1 console this generation, and the projections of it debuting in 2008-2009 would still of shown, looking at various analysts predictions, the X360 having a worldwide lead over the PS3. So they used the best forward-thinking ideas they could. I am sure if they knew the Wii was going to do what it did, it'd be Star Ocean 4: Let's Play Spaceships!!!!! But that was out of professional expert's look into what the console market was going to be.

If Star Ocean 4 has similar legs as Tales of Vesperia, it's going to reach 300,000 units sold in Japan alone, which should be good. AFAIK, Star Ocean has a good Western user base, so the 360 is a good choice for the game. Hopefully those WW3 CG cutscenes appeal to us Westerners and we buy it in droves.

Even if SO4 came to the Wii would it sell as well as the prior games?
I'm wondering if it would sell on even remotely the same level myself.

PS360 on the other hand I could see selling somewhere at or above SO3's first week. Course all this means is that there's more to the story as to why it's 360-only.

Y2Kev

Mr Killemgood said:
Speaking for the reason that it was only on 360:

Tri-Ace began development of the title before PS3 development kits were out, and most likely Wii kits as well. That *should* put it at a time when the Wii wasn't looked at as being the likely candidate for being the #1 console this generation, and the projections of it debuting in 2008-2009 would still of shown, looking at various analysts predictions, the X360 having a worldwide lead over the PS3. So they used the best forward-thinking ideas they could. I am sure if they knew the Wii was going to do what it did, it'd be Star Ocean 4: Let's Play Spaceships!!!!! But that was out of professional expert's look into what the console market was going to be.

If Star Ocean 4 has similar legs as Tales of Vesperia, it's going to reach 300,000 units sold in Japan alone, which should be good. AFAIK, Star Ocean has a good Western user base, so the 360 is a good choice for the game. Hopefully those WW3 CG cutscenes appeal to us Westerners and we buy it in droves.
I've always found this a little strange, personally. Western developers had no trouble getting B and C teams (or even hiring outside) to do ports of their games for simultaneous launch. The pattern in Japan (at least so far) is this significantly delayed release schedule (Eternal Sonata, I'm sure Tales of Vesperia will follow this pattern, though to be honest I don't think SO4 will see a PS3 port). I think it's definitely unique.

And, sure, I understand that things are the way they are (and I've had a few people posit that Japanese developers do not want to poison their fanbase well with "crappy ports," even granting that they'd turn out crappy), but I find it strange. I mean look at something like Orange Box. There was a D team on the PS3 port to make sure it met launch (it missed by a month or whatever, but you get the idea). A lot of Western studios do similar things.

I just haven't seen that in Japan much really outside of Capcom (the most western of Japanese studios). Even FFXIII would be following this pattern of delayed release.

Spiegel

Star Ocean is not a whored out franchise (Tales) or a new IP from B/C teams (Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant). It's a huge-selling Square Enix rpg franchise.

These sales are great for a x360 rpg in Japan but they are not good for a new Star Ocean game.

Top Bottom