• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/09 - 02/15

kswiston

[QUOTE='[Nintex]It certainly won't hit 2009 now so the only reason for S-E not to do a Japanese version is like you said, the lack of interest from Microsoft(which doesn't make any sense) or a moneyhat from Sony.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why Final Fantasy XIII will be delayed in Japan. DQIX is A) coming out months before FF XIII's likely release and B) is on a completely different (and portable) system. They are not going to cut into each other's sales.

As for spreading out their big titles to ensure good fiscal returns each year, the NA/EU release of Final Fantasy XIII (where the title will see most of its sales) is still going to be in FY2010. In Japan for FY2010, they can release XIII VS, Agito, and Dragon Quest VI DS (among other things).

FrankT

Famitsu:
SFC Star Ocean - 81K (176K)
PS1 Star Ocean: The Second Story - 374K (700K)
PS2 Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time - 386K (533K)

This is certainly not what I would call "dynamo". Solid perhaps, but certainly not the former. Anyone thinking 400k out of the gate is simply kidding themselves. Likely to be the best seller in Japan on the 360, even then maybe, but that is about it and that is about all SE could of hoped for from a system still at just 900k. What is likely is that MS likely helped fund either the project and/or the marketing and that would help offset some of the sale through. Shy of 200k first week is about all SE could of have imagined best case scenario. If it can hit at best 300k with legs that is 56% of the last entry compared to what the base of the PS2 at the time? No clue really.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jtyettis said:
This is certainly not what I would call "dynamo". Solid perhaps, but certainly not the former. Anyone thinking 400k out of the gate is simply kidding themselves. Likely to be the best seller in Japan on the 360, even then maybe, but that is about it and that is about all SE could of hoped for from a system still at just 900k. What is likely is that MS likely helped fund either the project and/or the marketing and that would help offset some of the sale through. Shy of 200k first week is about all SE could of have imagined best case scenario.
Find me a list of JRPGs in Japan that sold more than 500k last gen. The games on that list are in exclusive company. You could also dig up a list of PS1 RPGs at 700k.

And freaking Super Famicon sales? lol

For the record, tri-ace lists SO3 at 642,000 in Japan.

FrankT

Which says really nothing compared to what the sales are in comparson to where the bases are at now and then.

And those sales are from Donny's qoute so I would imagine that is actual sale through oh and I see that includes the later director's cut.

And forget the SFC. lulz

[Nintex]

kswiston said:
I don't see why Final Fantasy XIII will be delayed in Japan. DQIX is A) coming out months before FF XIII's likely release and B) is on a completely different (and portable) system. They are not going to cut into each other's sales.

As for spreading out their big titles to ensure good fiscal returns each year, the NA/EU release of Final Fantasy XIII (where the title will see most of its sales) is still going to be in FY2010. In Japan for FY2010, they can release XIII VS, Agito, and Dragon Quest VI DS (among other things).
Wada pretty much said that he could't deny that the DQXI delay would influence their release schedule.

I'm just hoping that SO4 actually performs decently in the US unlike TLR. Course TLR was buried in bad publicity before it even hit the shelves so hmm.

SO4 doing a million worldwide should be at least somewhat feasible provided enough planets align with the sun.

FrankT

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'm just hoping that SO4 actually performs decently in the US unlike TLR. Course TLR was buried in bad publicity before it even hit the shelves so hmm.

SO4 doing a million worldwide should be at least somewhat feasible provided enough planets align with the sun.

I think that is the bigger question really. It likely will be pretty hard pressed to match the overseas sales of the last entry without maybe LO type sales out of the gate, which is to me unlikely. At best maybe with really good marketing perhaps and depending how the Euro launch is received in April.

Talking about FFXIII, which I think would have been delayed no matter DQIX's own delay, I just noticed Square-Enix passed a milestone today.

They released* their first PS3 game today! 20th February 2009!

as a publisher

It's Disgaea 3 for european countries, next to follow, 007 for the japanese. So much for the 'SE thought PS3 would win and they are heavily backing it instead of my [insertconsoleofchoicehere]...' :lol .

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
SO4 legs depend on word of mouth. Notice how SO3 had a bigger opening than SO2 but end up selling less overall? So far the impressions are mostly positive, so we'll see.

DarkMehm

Error said:
SO4 legs depend on word of mouth. Notice how SO3 had a bigger opening than SO2 but end up selling less overall? So far the impressions are mostly positive, so we'll see.

It was because the game was shipped with a major bug and therefore many people waited for the Directors Cut.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Talking about FFXIII, which I think would have been delayed no matter DQIX's own delay, I just noticed Square-Enix passed a milestone today.

They released* their first PS3 game today! 20th February 2009!

as a publisher

It's Disgaea 3 for european countries, next to follow, 007 for the japanese. So much for the 'SE thought PS3 would win and they are heavily backing it instead of my [insertconsoleofchoicehere]...' :lol .
Announcing FFXIII before the console was even released is heavy backing. Every other game pales in comparison to it. Add Versus and you have 2 heavy hitters. If you don't call that major backing then I don't know what is. The majority of their games were for the DS anyway, they haven't got many console games at all.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Even if SO4 came to the Wii would it sell as well as the prior games?
I'm wondering if it would sell on even remotely the same level myself.
If ToS 2 can do 200k, I don't doubt SO4 on the Wii would've done noticeably better.

Cosmonaut X said:
Source?

ISTR him making a comment about Capcom spending more on the game than people think they did (dev-wise), but I don't recall a specific figure for ad spend - or even one as vague as "millions".

"Japan’s $2M TV campaign for the title in just that territory (e.g. better marketing) did not move the bar. "

Segata Sanshiro said:
I saw TV commercials for TvC, they were aired during Tatsunoko shows like Yatterman. Haven't seen a single thing for Dead Rising, though.

Well nearly everyone else (both in the Japanese Wii and the Japanese arcade scene) stated that the game wasn't advertised well. Not calling you out just saying.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Even if SO4 came to the Wii would it sell as well as the prior games?
I'm wondering if it would sell on even remotely the same level myself.

Tales of Symphonia: DotNW sold dynamite.

BishopLamont said:
Announcing FFXIII before the console was even released is heavy backing. Every other game pales in comparison to it. Add Versus and you have 2 heavy hitters. If you don't call that major backing then I don't know what is. The majority of their games were for the DS anyway, they haven't got many console games at all.
In 2006 sure, but right now, those who thought that must be still trying to comprehend how they were so wrong.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
In 2006 sure, but right now, those who thought that must be still trying to comprehend how they were so wrong.

Ps3 oWners are still getting both games.

Luckyman

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Square-Enix has not heavily supported PS3 and it does not look like it will in the future either.

I don't think Wada would agree given how much money they have poured in just for a couple of projects.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Luckyman said:
I don't think Wada would agree given how much money they have poured in just for a couple of projects.

Well, I think they invested a lot of that money before it was clear how bad PS3 would do..and by then it was too late to pull out.

Paracelsus

Comparing S-E support to PS3 to the one of the X360 is absurd. S-E basically lent tri-Ace to Microsoft as second party, released three games within the first three years of the console, four within three years and a bunch of months, gave them the upper hand sales-wise AND FFXIII -and let's not make a fool of ourselves, Versus will follow, without shadow of a doubt-.

Sony maybe has the chance of getting FFXIII all for itself in Japan, when the market won't have any more to say to the HD consoles.

Well, I think they invested a lot of that money before it was clear how bad PS3 would do..and by then it was too late to pull out.

That too, or else they wouldn't even have FFXIII.

Yes I would have to say that by a great distance the PS3 is getting the shortest end of the stick in terms of support from Square-Enix.
Projects sure but games? Not hardly.

This has been a very strange generation btw.

Luckyman said:
If he says that they have heavily supported the PS3 so far, that'd be...quite the statement. On the future tense, yeah, I wouldn't expect him to badmouth his own business, would you?

Jokeropia

I think SE would've put more support behind PS3 had it performed like they originally expected it to. I also suspect they would've tried to get FFXIII out faster.

Jtyettis said:
Which says really nothing compared to what the sales are in comparson to where the bases are at now and then.
Which is exactly what Y2Kev was saying: for the installed base you really can't expect better out of SO 4, but in absolute terms it's a step down for the franchise. This is just as valid to say here as it is about PS3 software, which in many cases does quite well for the base. . .but can't match to PS2-gen sales in absolute terms.

Jtyettis said:
If it can hit at best 300k with legs that is 56% of the last entry...
I think that will be very, very tough. Despite the first-day similarity to WKC, the installed base and the shipment size will probably keep first week well under 200k. Since we're outside the holidays, I wouldn't expect a 75k second week either. Given that WKC is crawling toward a 350k lifetime, I don't think that SO 4 will hit 300k.

But it'll likely be the second-best-selling 360 game ever by the end of this week, and by week two or three the highest (as I predicted--with a little less certainty--a month ago). And who knows? Maybe it will have surprisingly great legs, and pound out to 300k or better.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Lightning said:
Now that SO4 has been released what does the 360 have for near future (within the next 3mths) releases for Japan?

Not much I don't believe. Same with PS3 (outside of the FF13 demo). Going to be very interesting in the months ahead IMO to see what if any big Japanese games are announced for PS360. After RE5 there is nothing left besides the FF13 duo.

Quazar said:
Would love to know this as well. Forgot about bundles.

I think it does, but I'm not 100% sure.

Paracelsus said:
Comparing S-E support to PS3 to the one of the X360 is absurd. S-E basically lent tri-Ace to Microsoft as second party, released three games within the first three years of the console, four within three years and a bunch of months, gave them the upper hand sales-wise AND FFXIII -and let's not make a fool of ourselves, Versus will follow, without shadow of a doubt-.

Sony maybe has the chance of getting FFXIII all for itself in Japan, when the market won't have any more to say to the HD consoles.

That too, or else they wouldn't even have FFXIII.

Well said.

Lightning

Banned
schuelma said:
Not much I don't believe. Same with PS3 (outside of the FF13 demo). Going to be very interesting in the months ahead IMO to see what if any big Japanese games are announced for PS360. After RE5 there is nothing left besides the FF13 duo.
Hmm... that's what I thought. PS360 fans get their happiness in now because I feel it will soon be over. :lol

dabra

cvxfreak said:
Biohazard 4 (PlayStation 2 The Best) - 11,302 / 12,620 (July 2008 re-release version)

Biohazard 4 (PS2) - 454,979
Biohazard 4 (GC) - 220,799
Biohazard 4 PlayStation 2 The Best (2006) - 148,868
Biohazard 4 Wii Edition - 136,344
Biohazard 4 PlayStation 2 The Best (2008) - 12,620

TOTAL: 973,610

http://www.kyoto.zaq.ne.jp/dkbkq103/yso/maintitle5/capcom.htm

Biohazard 4 Wii Edition (Best Price!) 40,612

TOTAL: 1,014,222

Liabe Brave said:
Which is exactly what Y2Kev was saying: for the installed base you really can't expect better out of SO 4, but in absolute terms it's a step down for the franchise.

I think it's hard to argue that, although when we look at this generation, what franchises don't fall under that qualification? Nintendo first-party stuff, and... what? The fragmented console base seems to have resulted in a situation where third-party games simply cannot meet their previous-generation milestones.

The 360 has a new Id@lmaster and Deathsmilies within the next couple months.
Oh and a bunch of adventure games I guess. *shrug*

Not exactly sustaining momentum but uh at least the otaku are satisfied(plus Namco gets to make another couple million off DLC).

Luckyman

Banned
schuelma said:
Going to be very interesting in the months ahead IMO to see what if any big Japanese games are announced for PS360.

There might be not much big Japanese games left for home consoles this gen period. Just a few franchises yet to be cashed in. And big new IP + Japan = bomba.

DogWelder

Paracelsus said:
Spiegel said:
Yeah, sinobi always include bundles
Any time Sinobi's mentioned bundles, he's always explicitly stated the bundle sales and seperated them from software sales. I'm going to check the archive to be sure.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Well nearly everyone else (both in the Japanese Wii and the Japanese arcade scene) stated that the game wasn't advertised well. Not calling you out just saying.
Right. I'm not saying it was advertised well (TV commercials are a very small part of an overall marketing campaign for a game here), but it's not as though they did *no* advertising, like with Dead Rising. The commercials definitely pushed the Tatsunoko angle, too, with the voice actor of one of the Dorombo gang narrating the ad.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
charlequin said:
I think it's hard to argue that, although when we look at this generation, what franchises don't fall under that qualification? Nintendo first-party stuff, and... what? The fragmented console base seems to have resulted in a situation where third-party games simply cannot meet their previous-generation milestones.
Worldwide, a number of third party franchises have "upticked," even Japanese ones-- Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, and a few others have either matched or exceeded previous entries. I'm willing to bet SF4 will outsell SF3 and RE5 will outsell RE4 (the original release, anyway). In terms of just Japan, I'd wager you are right. But I wasn't suggesting that SO4 needed to match SO3 (those kinds of expectations are the reverse of super lame expectations like what Namco puts out for everything).

My only real point was to suggest these aren't good or impressive sales-- they are 100% necessary sales. SO4 will probably sell worse in Japan over its lifetime than White Knight Chronicles. I mean, what the fuck. What a colossal assfuck of a generation.

Costs are up and series like SO4 will be down (I'd bet anything on it). I just can't understand these Japanese business decisions. I know they are stuck between a rock and a hard place, but come on.

I will be absolutely shocked if SO4 is not the last of the exclusive JRPGs on 360 in Japan.

Top Bottom