• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having an urgent problem with my PC.

I just got got back home and turned it on. When everything booted, it froze. Now when I try to reboot, it wont go past the windows logo.

What could be causing this? I can access safe mode (what I'm using right now).

If you can access safe mode it's probably a software issue... but out of curiosity, are you overclocking?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
NoRéN;153534695 said:
Yeah, we all get an OS too, man. Point was you sacrificed better performance for convenience. If that is worth it to you then great. But, you asked for opinions.

Just remember that everyone is here to help. Not everyone here is an expert. We all had to learn this stuff first and for many, myself included, it was this thread and past versions that got us on our way.

Oh I get all that, I understand the concept of paying for convenience. But a direct comparison of prices that doesn't include an OEM Windows copy is skewed as it's like 90 euros difference. That's all I was saying, and it's the only specific feedback I got. The system with the same price and better specs he posted didn't have Windows or assembly costs.

RGM79

Oh I get all that, I understand the concept of paying for convenience. But a direct comparison of prices that doesn't include an OEM Windows copy is skewed as it's like 90 euros difference. That's all I was saying, and it's the only specific feedback I got. The system with the same price and better specs he posted didn't have Windows or assembly costs.

Sorry, I assumed you would be fine with assembling it yourself, and that you possibly had Windows already or that it was a non-issue. The majority of people who we recommend parts lists to do not need to include the OS in the cost of parts.

If cost is an issue and people don't mind, we sometimes recommend them to buy Windows 8.1 licenses from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap, for roughly 17 Euros or less. These are most likely keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or Dreamspark. However, buyers are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are unapproved by Microsoft and probably breaking some licensing agreement to be clear, but it's not illegal. The risks involved are that the person could be selling you a fake or used key, or that Microsoft may deactivate your license and refuse to reactivate it, although it's somewhat unlikely. We've had people here using those keys without issues for a long time and a few others who say Microsoft deactivated their key after several months.

One of the RAM sticks I recently bought has errors. Memtest (from the OP) confirmed this pretty clearly. But while I've read online it's supposed to output a log file, I don't see it on the USB drive, or the hard drives off-hand. Is there something I was supposed to do in the program to get that log? What's the easiest way to figure out which stick is bad? (One suggestion was to run the test again, this time limited to "each individual chip".)

LilJoka

One of the RAM sticks I recently bought has errors. Memtest (from the OP) confirmed this pretty clearly. But while I've read online it's supposed to output a log file, I don't see it on the USB drive, or the hard drives off-hand. Is there something I was supposed to do in the program to get that log? What's the easiest way to figure out which stick is bad? (One suggestion was to run the test again, this time limited to "each individual chip".)

Just remove all but 1 stick of RAM. Then test the others individually.

Reckoner

We'll have to figure out some specs, like what wireless chipsets your laptops have and what router you have. Honestly, I sort of doubt there's something wrong with your wireless connection, transferring 130GB over the air is usually not very fast, especially lots of small files. It's probably just a case of random VS sequential I/O. Whatever your wireless speeds are rated for don't guarantee how quickly drives are read and written to.

Give it a try with a steady hand and patience. I fixed a MSI P55 motherboard that way, although with fewer bent pins. I used a very small needle to do it. Even if a pin breaks off, you may still be alright as long as it's a VSS (ground) pin, although it may be hard to tell (start at page 112 of that document, scroll down to the tables to refer to the number column and row code).

Pin T40 is broken. Just noticed it. Damn.

Thank you, anyway.

Daria

thanks to all the suggestions from everyone!

Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier. Here's a build with an i3 processor for less than $15 more.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($34.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 260X 1GB Core Edition Video Card ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $342.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-24 11:07 EST-0500

I consider this better because you won't have to overclock the G3258 to get a similar level of performance. Overclocking on a stock heatsink is kind of iffy anyway - the Intel cooler gets hot and loud easily. I was also able to get a larger power supply to better support future graphics cards upgrades.

That said, you did say you were planning to build in 2-3 months, I suggest you save up some money and hold off until then. Don't buy parts piecemeal unless you're getting an extremely good deal, it's better to wait the 2-3 months until you can more or less buy most of the parts at once as prices can change. The build listed here is more of a guideline - occasionally certain parts will go on sale, for example I'd sometimes be able to find a 600 watt power supply for $35 but the model I was looking at currently was selling at $45~50.

You could go with a Pentium to save money as long as you were planning to upgrade to a better processor later, but it doesn't work nearly as well for gaming.

this is a really great build compared to what I had with the little price increase. I'd feel more comfortable going with the 4130 due to not planning on OCing anytime soon because I'm new to this-I'm sure it's simple enough though-.

the only thing I'm seeing which I'm questioning is, and excuse my ignorance, but is it a notable knock down in dropping the 260x from a 2GB card to 1GB just to save another ~$25 or so? I'd rather spend the extra few bucks up front if it means ill get a few more months out of it and smoother gameplay.

Just got a 2nd SSD drive but my MB only has 1 SATA 6 port (so the new SSD is connected to sata 3) and my original SSD drive is already connected to the sata 6. Am I able to daisy chain 2 SSD drives to the sata 6 port? does such a cable exist?

LifeLike

Thank you very much RGM79. It now looks like this:

CPU: *Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($368.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($148.04 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($238.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1589.59
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-24 20:02 EST-0500

I'm still on the fence about the CPU and mobo, I'm sure you're right about the slight performance increase but if the price difference isn't too high, I'm ready to pay for it.

RGM79

thanks to all the suggestions from everyone!

this is a really great build compared to what I had with the little price increase. I'd feel more comfortable going with the 4130 due to not planning on OCing anytime soon because I'm new to this-I'm sure it's simple enough though-.

the only thing I'm seeing which I'm questioning is, and excuse my ignorance, but is it a notable knock down in dropping the 260x from a 2GB card to 1GB just to save another ~$25 or so? I'd rather spend the extra few bucks up front if it means ill get a few more months out of it and smoother gameplay.
It's just a $10 difference so it's up to you if you prefer 2GB or want to save a bit of money with 1GB. Having twice the VRAM means it could last longer, yet from the few reviews I've found, it doesn't make a difference in framerate, and for recent games you would probably be playing on reduced settings anyway. eTeknix reviewed the Sapphire R7 260X 1GB and it more or less tied with the reference R7 260X 2GB in framerate in every game they tested.

You didn't mention an overall budget and you were asking for ways to actually cut down on the price, so I was more concerned with keeping it as low as possible, despite the my recommendations already costing more than your build. I felt that moving up to an i3 processor justified the higher cost, but the 2GB model didn't.

Well, I guess it boils down to when you intend to upgrade the computer after building it. The 2GB model will last longer but it won't change framerate performance or anything, just how high you can crank up textures.

Just got a 2nd SSD drive but my MB only has 1 SATA 6 port (so the new SSD is connected to sata 3) and my original SSD drive is already connected to the sata 6. Am I able to daisy chain 2 SSD drives to the sata 6 port? does such a cable exist?

What motherboard do you have? Certain SATA controllers can handle multiple drives per port (still with performance drop), but I doubt your motherboard can do that. You're looking at a performance drop for one of the SSDs or replacing the old SSD with the new one, no real way around it. SATA controller cards exist, but at PCI-E x1 it's not full SATA3 6.0Gb/s, and PCI-E x4 SATA controller cards are very expensive, last time I checked.

Thank you very much RGM79. It now looks like this:

CPU: *Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($368.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($148.04 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($238.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1589.59
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-24 20:02 EST-0500

I'm still on the fence about the CPU and mobo, I'm sure you're right about the slight performance increase but if the price difference isn't too high, I'm ready to pay for it.

Oh, the Gigabyte Gaming 5 motherboard dropped in price by $15 today. It's not that big of a price difference, then, go ahead. I'd still recommend the i5 4690K, you did say it was for gaming, the 4790K would mostly be a waste of $100 that could be spent elsewhere.

Pollux

i felt the need to vent.

I just got back from micro center with my new computer excited as hell to start playing games...and I unbox it and THERE'S NO FUCKING GOD DAMN MOTHER FUCKING POWER CORD

So right now I have a $1400 paper weight and I live an hour away from fucking micro center.

I don't think I've ever been more pissed off in my entire life.

The Llama

i felt the need to vent.

I just got back from micro center with my new computer excited as hell to start playing games...and I unbox it and THERE'S NO FUCKING GOD DAMN MOTHER FUCKING POWER CORD

So right now I have a $1400 paper weight and I live an hour away from fucking micro center.

Didn't the power supply come with one?
Or surely you have one from another device (not the safest tbh but I interchange them all the time YOLO).

i felt the need to vent.

I don't know what America is like, but the power cord PCs use are standard parts ("Jug Plugs" they are known as here). If you have an electric kettle, it's usually the same cord and interchangeable with your PC's cord.

You may actually have one lying around.

Fracas

#fuckonami
i felt the need to vent.

If you have a fat PS3, the power cable might work.

Soooo, how up to date are those build charts in the OP post? I can pretty much just pick a column and be good to go right? I've never built a PC, and honestly the entire prospect seems a bit overwhelming to me considering all the possible options and prices. Especially since I like to look at a multitude of reviews and sources for most electronics before I buy. So if that chart is all I need, it's hugely convenient. I'll pick a build and basically treat it as a shopping checklist?

RGM79

i felt the need to vent.

I find it hard to believe the power supply didn't come with one. I don't suppose you have a common power cable in the home or you could pick one up from a hardware/electronics shop? Check a department store, maybe.

Soooo, how up to date are those build charts in the OP post? I can pretty much just pick a column and be good to go right? I've never built a PC, and honestly the entire prospect seems a bit overwhelming to me considering all the possible options and prices. Especially since I like to look at a multitude of reviews and sources for most electronics before I buy. So if that chart is all I need, it's hugely convenient. I'll pick a build and basically treat it as a shopping checklist?

They're guidelines, the prices aren't set in stone. Give us a budget and we'll find you current price quotes for a parts list, as sometimes better parts can be found for cheaper. It'd be nice if you could answer the [Basic Desktop Questions] in the OP so we can figure out suggestions.

Another question that isn't on that list that's handy to know is if you prefer a PC of a certain size. Smaller PCs work well as living room HTPCs or compact gaming PCs you can move around easily. Mid and full tower PCs are more or less normal desktops that stay where they are.

Pollux

Ok, the power supply unit did not come with it - it must have just not been boxed by accident.

I don't have any spare AC power cord (D cord's) lying around so that's a no go.

I'll be going to office depot to pick one up tomorrow.

Now here's a possibly very stupid question - I have a d-sub cable connecting my monitor to my i think motherboard. But on the back of the GPU there's a DVI-I slot and on the back of the monitor there's a DVI-D slot.

Should I pick up a cable for that or will the D-Sub cable connected to the motherboard be fine?

NoRéN

Now here's a possibly very stupid question - I have a d-sub cable connecting my monitor to my i think motherboard. But on the back of the GPU there's a DVI-I slot and on the back of the monitor there's a DVI-D slot.

Should I pick up a cable for that or will the D-Sub cable connected to the motherboard be fine?

Monitor should be connected to the GPU.

They're guidelines, the prices aren't set in stone. Give us a budget and we'll find you current price quotes for a parts list, as sometimes better parts can be found for cheaper. It'd be nice if you could answer the [Basic Desktop Questions] in the OP so we can figure out suggestions.

Another question that isn't on that list that's handy to know is if you prefer a PC of a certain size. Smaller PCs work well as living room HTPCs or compact gaming PCs you can move around easily. Mid and full tower PCs are more or less normal desktops that stay where they are.

Thanks for the info. In terms of form factor, the smaller, slimmer sizes look the most appealing since I'd like to have this PC act as a slim-pick and play console in the living room. Just much more powerful of course. I'll answer the questions:

Your Current Specs: None!
Budget: $1100-$1500 (Not including monitor, will be plugged into living room HDTV)
Main Use: Gaming, 1080p+ media playback, streaming
Monitor Resolution: 1080p HDTV currently. Will upgrade much later down the road for a 4k/120Hz set
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60fps with all bells and whistles on modern games within reason. Photoshop and Aftereffects as well.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Got none!
When will you build?: Whenever! If there are some good price drops coming, I'll wait.
Will you be overclocking?: Noooope.

NoRéN

So don't use both? (god I feel like a moron)

And if I don't use both, then why does the motherboard have a socket for the D-Sub cable as well?

Intergrated graphics. if you don't have a GPU installed the motherboard and cpu handle the graphics. So, in that case you would plug your monitor into the motherboard.

Pollux

Ah. That makes sense. But bc I have the separate gpu I only need to plug the DVI cable into the gpu?

So the DVI cable and power cord are all I need and then I should be good to go?

NoRéN

Ah. That makes sense. But bc I have the separate gpu I only need to plug the DVI cable into the gpu?

So the DVI cable and power cord are all I need and then I should be good to go?

Yeah, whatever cable your monitor supports(hdmi, dvi, etc) you plug that into your GPU.

ok major issue here....

had a 250gb ssd connected to sata 6, a 2nd hd connected to sata 3. went and bought another 500GB ssd. hooked it up to what I thought was sata 6 but it was really sata 3. I realized this when samasung magician notified me. So I opened back up the pc and changed the new HD to my 2nd sata 6 port.

Now windows 8.1 is no longer recognizing any HD other than my original 250GB HD. I even went to disk management and it only sees 1 drive. The BIOS (within) and on boot sees all HDs, but windows will not for some reason, no matter what I do. I even put my original 2 HDs back without the new HD hooked up and windows still only sees 1 HD. what happened and what do I do?

MB = ASUS MAXIMUS GENE Z IV

help!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ok major issue here....

had a 250gb ssd connected to sata 6, a 2nd hd connected to sata 3. went and bought another 500GB ssd. hooked it up to what I thought was sata 6 but it was really sata 3. I realized this when samasung magician notified me. So I opened back up the pc and changed the new HD to my 2nd sata 6 port.

Now windows 8.1 is no longer recognizing any HD other than my original 250GB HD. I even went to disk management and it only sees 1 drive. The BIOS (within) and on boot sees all HDs, but windows will not for some reason, no matter what I do. I even put my original 2 HDs back without the new HD hooked up and windows still only sees 1 HD. what happened and what do I do?

MB = ASUS MAXIMUS GENE Z IV

help!
Just to be clear, the disk management didn't even ask to add volumes? I have an M.2 SSD, 850 pro, and 2 HDD's and all either show up as a simple volume to basically format/add to Windows or are already enabled to function in Windows. Everything is ACHI correct? Is there any PCH or settings related to storage in bios that might effect things?

Worse case scenario is a new install but also try different ports or getting it 100% the way you had the connectors because if the C drive was your OS and the secondary was your D drive then the musical chairs might have disrupted what you had.

Daria

It's just a $10 difference so it's up to you if you prefer 2GB or want to save a bit of money with 1GB. Having twice the VRAM means it could last longer, yet from the few reviews I've found, it doesn't make a difference in framerate, and for recent games you would probably be playing on reduced settings anyway. eTeknix reviewed the Sapphire R7 260X 1GB and it more or less tied with the reference R7 260X 2GB in framerate in every game they tested.

You didn't mention an overall budget and you were asking for ways to actually cut down on the price, so I was more concerned with keeping it as low as possible, despite the my recommendations already costing more than your build. I felt that moving up to an i3 processor justified the higher cost, but the 2GB model didn't.

Well, I guess it boils down to when you intend to upgrade the computer after building it. The 2GB model will last longer but it won't change framerate performance or anything, just how high you can crank up textures.

Would ~$360 be too low of a threshold to be comparative and/exceed a current gen system? Since I do already have some of the more expensive pieces already.

In all honestly though I just want to play games like Skyrim*, Fallout*, Bioshock's, Rust, CS, H1Z1, GTAV, etc. in 1080p between 30-60 FPS without having the textures clog up the performance. I plan on keeping it upgrading it later on, at least 6+ months to a year before I purchase a new part right now. I'll worry about extreme textures and max settings at 120 then.

**Skyrim modded off course, because that's why I want a PC.

Eventually when I do start upgrading, will I have enough room to work with to achieve my end goal before the i3 starts to bottleneck?

Tesseract

Banned
can someone help me get the best bang for my buck at around $600 to $700

i need everything but an optical drive, monitor, keyboard and mouse

RGM79

Thanks for the info. In terms of form factor, the smaller, slimmer sizes look the most appealing since I'd like to have this PC act as a slim-pick and play console in the living room. Just much more powerful of course. I'll answer the questions:

Your Current Specs: None!
Budget: $1100-$1500 (Not including monitor, will be plugged into living room HDTV)
Main Use: Gaming, 1080p+ media playback, streaming
Monitor Resolution: 1080p HDTV currently. Will upgrade much later down the road for a 4k/120Hz set
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60fps with all bells and whistles on modern games within reason. Photoshop and Aftereffects as well.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Got none!
When will you build?: Whenever! If there are some good price drops coming, I'll wait.
Will you be overclocking?: Noooope.

How slim, exactly? For a high end living room PC I'm thinking of the Silverstone Grandia line or similar because for 4K, you'll eventually need to run twin graphics cards for a good framerate in games. There are slimmer HTPC cases like these Silverstone models but they will only take a single graphics card at best, and will be more cramped to build in.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler ($73.69 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($115.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone GD09B HTPC Case ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1357.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-24 23:57 EST-0500

The GTX 980 seems to work best here because for 4K you could drop in a second GTX 980 whenever you need it, and they have semi-fanless quiet modes which work well for keeping noise down. The 750 watt power supply ensures you have enough wattage to support the a second GTX 980 in the future.

There's a bit under $150 left in the budget for a keyboard, mouse and whatever else you may want. Blu-ray drive for this HTPC, maybe? Wireless gamepad? Wifi connectivity?

Would ~$360 be too low of a threshold to be comparative and/exceed a current gen system? Since I do already have some of the more expensive pieces already.

In all honestly though I just want to play games like Skyrim*, Fallout*, Bioshock's, Rust, CS, H1Z1, GTAV, etc. in 1080p between 30-60 FPS without having the textures clog up the performance. I plan on keeping it upgrading it later on, at least 6+ months to a year before I purchase a new part right now. I'll worry about extreme textures and max settings at 120 then.

**Skyrim modded off course, because that's why I want a PC.

Eventually when I do start upgrading, will I have enough room to work with to achieve my end goal before the i3 starts to bottleneck?

Well, the current build list is already quite close to that, there's not much else to change. I'm not too familiar with PS4 and XB1 games right now, but I hear that they're still doing 720p/900p and sometimes rarely getting up to 60FPS. I don't know what monitor resolution you'll be playing at, but the R7 260X does recent triple-A PC games at 30FPS or so at low-medium settings at 1080p.

For Skyrim modded, I'd go with the 2GB version of the graphics card. Games like that can use more VRAM.

i3 bottlenecking will depend on the game, really. Normally we'd recommend an i5 processor if possible, but i3 shouldn't be too bad for now, games won't be unplayable, it may just hold back whatever graphics card you put in there in the future.

JordanN

Banned
An update to my problem form last page:

In safe mode, I went to MSconfig and disabled all the services. I got my computer to boot past the logo.

Bad news is, one of the microsoft services is causing it. There's too many to check off and I don't want to break my computer by resetting too much. Is there a faster way of finding the bad service?

I also don't know how to get things back like my internet outside of safe mode.

Tesseract

Banned
How long ago was that list spec'd for you? You could get a lot more for the same amount of money. Also, it seems to be missing a hard drive, but assuming you don't need a hard drive because you already have one..

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.47 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($58.00 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($61.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($262.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($51.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $648.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-24 11:43 EST-0500

For $11 more you could have had a much stronger graphics card (roughly 30~50% faster), and a stronger power supply. The case isn't as flashy, but looking back to your post back in December, this runs well under your $700 budget.

Cheapest option would be the Chromecast?

Well, the question is cost VS "this would be nice to have". Performance-wise it's not worth it to spend the extra money on the processor, but your PC will last a quite a bit longer before needing to be replaced. I just don't think the extra $600 is worth the 5690X.

How much do either builds cost, anyway?

seems like a good build, any thoughts?

RGM79

can someone help me get the best bang for my buck at around $600 to $700

i need everything but an optical drive, monitor, keyboard and mouse

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.61 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($212.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $622.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-25 00:18 EST-0500

Now, there's roughly $80 left. You have a choice when it comes to Windows. You can buy a normal retail copy for ~$88, or buy a Windows 8.1 license from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $20 or less, and use it with the official Windows installer tool.

These keys from reddit sellers are most likely legitimate keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or Dreamspark. However, you are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are unapproved by Microsoft and probably breaking some licensing agreement to be clear, but it's not illegal. The risks involved are that the person could be selling you a fake or used key, or that Microsoft may deactivate your license and refuse to reactivate it, although it's somewhat unlikely. We've had people here using those keys without issues for a long time and others who say Microsoft deactivated their key after several months.

If you go with the cheaper option of buying a Windows license from Reddit, then there's about $60 left that can go towards better parts like stronger graphics card such as the XFX R9 290 ($263 after $30 rebate) which will be stronger for 1080p gaming for the next year or three, or you can just pocket the difference.

RGM79

oh, i already got windows, so i guess i'll get the stronger gpu

thanks, dude!

Do you have any parts from an old computer you'll be reusing? Worth asking to see if there's anything that can be done to drive down the cost some more and fit other better parts in.

Also, do you live near a Microcenter? They have the newer, faster, yet cheaper i5 4590 for $160, but it's in-store pickup only.

Daria

Well, the current build list is already quite close to that, there's not much else to change. I'm not too familiar with PS4 and XB1 games right now, but I hear that they're still doing 720p/900p and sometimes rarely getting up to 60FPS. I don't know what monitor resolution you'll be playing at, but the R7 260X does recent triple-A PC games at 30FPS or so at low-medium settings at 1080p.

For Skyrim modded, I'd go with the 2GB version of the graphics card. Games like that can use more VRAM.

i3 bottlenecking will depend on the game, really. Normally we'd recommend an i5 processor if possible, but i3 shouldn't be too bad for now, games won't be unplayable, it may just hold back whatever graphics card you put in there in the future.

hmm, it's sounding like I may be better off holding off a little longer and adding another $100-50/50 split maybe-to the budget to upgrade the CPU and GPU from this build? Hoping to stay under $500 at the max, $475 comfortably and $450 preferred. But I'd rather spend toward the higher end of the budget to run say Skyrim on medium settings at the lowest with high setting preferred at a steady 30+ rate.

Tesseract

Banned
Do you have any parts from an old computer you'll be reusing? Worth asking to see if there's anything that can be done to drive down the cost some more and fit other better parts in.

Also, do you live near a Microcenter? They have the newer, faster, yet cheaper i5 4590 for $160, but it's in-store pickup only.

no to both, unfortunately

probably gonna forgo the hdd and get a ssd. i got plenty of internal and external hdd drives on hand, if necessary.

any ssd recs would be appreciated

tigerin

For 3D games a wired Xbox 360 controllers is still GOAT IMO as most of the games use 360 prompts and lets face it, the controller is great. You can also hook up a wireless 360 controller if you buy the USB receiver.

For 2D games you will hear a lot of different suggestions. You can find USB Saturn controllers (expensive!), or find USB SNES knock offs (some seem to be reviewed well). Personally I have the newer style 360 controller with the better DPAD and its fine for 99% of 2D games which are not fighting games.

I've used the xbox 360/xbone controllers and I do agree that they are one of the best controllers. The dpad on it is the only bad thing about it, but I will go with this if it easy to hookup.

I haven't got a change to try the new dpad on the 360 controller. I won't be playing much fighting games on there, just occasional platformer or beat em up games. Does the new dpad works great on those genre?

Which older games are you thinking about that don't support Windows 8? There are no new games coming out today that won't support Windows 7. Battlefield 4 made some headlines by recommending Windows 8 over 7, and it's true Windows 8 had some performance advantages, but they were very tiny differences, not a huge advantage that allows you to run on higher settings or anything like that.

Logitech makes wired and wireless controllers. I have their F710, it's easy to use and supports just about any game out of the box. That said the size and shaping is somewhat bulky, it works but the grip does not feel the best for me, although it is solid.

Microsoft has their 360 and XB1 controllers available for the PC, but the 360 gamepad is either wired or needs a wired PC receiver for wireless play, and the XB1 controller only works when connected by USB, no wireless mode.

If you don't mind tinkering a little bit, the Dualshock 3 and 4 work on PC, more info in the PCSX2 forums and the InputMapper website.

That's great to hear that both versions of Windows work fine on game support. The only reason I'm asking is because there seems to be a lot of hatred toward Windows 8 and people tends to favor Windows 7 more. I figured there would be more support for Windows 7 version.

That Logitech F710 game pad is nice and at a decent price too. I have to look more into it. :) I noticed it takes AA batteries, how long does it tend to lasts for you?

The dualshocks seems like a good choice between 2d/3d with its dpad/analogue sticks too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom