• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's new platform codename: "Project NX"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
..a hybrid console also means a higher price (if you want it to be more powerful than Wii U). Better to have two separate machines that run the same OS with scaled hardware.

As long as you can either 'cross play' or swap game 'media' between them then it makes sense. What doesn't make sense for Nintendo is a situation similar to the PS3 and PS Vita, two separate platforms that have loose technical tendrils connecting them.

And I think that owing to the scale of hardware and pricing do Nintendo really need to play 'keeping with the Joneses' with the likes of Sony and Microsoft?

A platform that marginally improves upon the specs is probably exactly where Nintendo should be in terms of power.

So has it been guessed that the NX stands for Nintendo Crossplay? All games playable on all systems? Play your phone games, tablet games and continue them at home on your NX?

Dr. Buni

Even late 2016 sounds a bit late. 3DS is dying and there are no software slated to release this summer and fall. And if they decide not to announce huge slew of (New) 3DS games at E3, I think we can get our hands on the new system as early as Spring 2016.
If the new handheld is a hybrid with the next console in some sort of way (like in both having the same games), I don't think it is coming as soon as early 2016, specially since it is almost half 2015 and we know nothing about it yet, other than the name "NX" (if it is even related to a handheld).

Yarbskoo

The answer is obvious.

"N" for Nintendo.

"X" for cross platform.

Nintendo confirmed for leaving physical restraints behind and setting up a cross-platform digital distribution system, supporting PC, mobile, current Nintendo platforms, and future Nintendo-branded "NX" pre-built PCs.

Obviously.

Tsokolit

I have been watching old clips of Jamie Kennedy Experiment on youtube so bare with me. "NX." Everyone who bought a Wii U, including I, have been X'd!!! You all are on Nintendo's hidden camera show called the Nintendo Experiment!!!!
(please someone here must have watched JKX before) youtube it :)

edit: Experience to Experiment..my bad lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"New concept" makes me concerned.

Of course, this could realistically be new to Nintendo.

DavidDesu

The bigger news over a new hardware announcement seems to be that Nintendo are finally entering the mobile space in a big way with their gaming franchises. I KNEW this would happen, where's all the die hards now who claimed Nintendo would never make mobile games..? :p

New hardware I guess could be something running off of Android perhaps... Considering that mobile GPUs by the point this releases will probably be around WiiU or better graphics performance wise they could just do a nice transition over to that kind of architecture. Something that can be powered by a handheld but still produce decent graphical performance, and perhaps can up the graphics when docked to a base station. Can only hope.

jaosobno

Let's not overthink things.

X in NX is probably referring to cross-development, next gen devices, not some VC+mobile third pillar (such device would make no sense whatsoever). We'll most likely see separate home console and a handheld with shared arhitecture and OS (Nintendo already said they plan to do this, plus, IIRC, they already started merging their development departments). This would allow Nintendo do reduce their development costs and they would have a larger number of titles ready on both platforms (again, they already hinted at this).

Two devices will probaby be able to share content (crossbuy games) and we will probably be able to engage in cross platform multiplayer in select titles.

My guess is that most (1st party) games will be developed as cross platform titles, where home console will play them in higher resolution and higher level of detail, while its handheld counterpart will receive certain downgrades to deal with the lack of processing power.

There will probably be some exclusive features on each platform (for example, Streetpass would make little sense on a home console) which would be used to appeal to certain audiences. Some people (like me) prefer handhelds, other people prefer a couch and a large TV. Nintendo plans to serve both in an efficient way. This paradigm shift will probably exclude any (major) gimmick features which would be only available on one of those devices.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Shhhh, you're using logic in a Nintendo Neogaf thread. No thoughts now. Only emotions.

4mlAYRI.gif

Rösti;156259210 said:
Third party developers will likely be briefed in some way at E3 this year (some will likely be briefed before). That allows a chance for leaks and rumors. But sure, actual information directly from the source will come first next year.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the theater they have booked (their regular one) is to provide more information on this DeNA business.

that is something I really hope for. not like always, with Ubi not knowing about 3D screen before the official PR...

El Topo

why? none of us got it right, not even usc-fan.

That's the point. Pretty much all supposedly "reasonable" predictions turned out complete bullshit. Over years people hyped themselves up for...well....Wii U.

Besides Wii U being more powerful than last gen consoles is pretty much what we ended up with, considering this is just a tad better than PS4 (1.843TFLOPs to 2TFLOPs) it wouldn't be that shocking.

We ended up with a console somewhat more powerful than those that had launched six years earlier. Just don't get yourself too hyped.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
On second thought and seeing the Q&A part, it seems that NX will be able to play both mobile games and dedicated games and will have the new account system so maybe it a hybrid/twin system mobile/handheld/console, but rather on the lower side of the spectrum, more like an Android based architecture than a PC based architecture. By 2017 the mobile components should be quite competitive.

NX is such a cool name; hope they stick with that.

I know it hasn't been confirmed whether this is a home console or not (though I think it is), but I'm still hoping this platform won't be a hot mess like the Wii U.

D6AMIA6N

My problem with Nintendo is that their home consoles always seem made to supplement an Xbox or PS4. I don't have time or care to spend money on several consoles, I just want one that can do games, Netflix, and online stuff well, and without any gimmicks. If Nintendo would make that console, I would gladly buy it, since their software is the most interesting to me.

watershed

Banned
This has been an exciting day for Nintendo. Mobile partnership, better club Nintendo replacement, and new hardware development announced. Really interesting stuff.

Frodo

This has been an interesting morning.

Seems like everything I knew is wrong. My entire life... a lie...

Mobile, New Platform announcement. I can't handle this. Nintendo X. Sounds better than Wii U, tbh.
E3 should be interesting.
EVERYTHING WAS MOBILE

To everyone trying to guess what NX means, it is a code name. It is like saying I played on my Ultra 64 then my Dolphin, loved the Nitro and the Revolution.

So the successor to Club Nintendo? This doesn't sound like NNID is the successor rather this is another account you link (so literally replaces the option on the eShop, possibly as early as May given NOE said digital games would stop being tracked April 20th). This of course means the problems with NNID (user end unlinking) will persist.

Annoying the Q&A isn't transcribed, listening now.

Beartruck

I'd like to be excited but there's really too little information to make any analysis of or get excited about. The confirmation of the new account system is nice, even though we knew it was coming.

Taker666

It's still at least a year and a half out, probably two years. Relax, get a Wii U and enjoy it :)

Maybe more. They said they "hope" to talk about it next year.

Holiday 2017 wouldn't surprise me...and we don't even know if it's a handheld, a console...or something else.

Social

Would it be something like, a main game on their console and then related apps for that game on tablets and smartphones?

Example: play zelda minigames on mobile to earn extra rupees in Zelda NX

Each game would have this in an optional way so it would never be required.

fi1ip

"New concept" makes me concerned.

Of course, this could realistically be new to Nintendo.

Yeah. I hope by "new concept" they actually mean game console with a traditional controller.

But they are probably developing home console and handheld in one device.

watershed

Banned
Would it be something like, a main game on their console and then related apps for that game on tablets and smartphones?

Companion games/smart phone apps that interact with games on their dedicated video game platforms would be a smart approach to tempt consumers on both ends. We'll see if that's how it goes. I feel like Nintendo will make a lot of mistakes with this new partnership before they get it right.

Choomp

Banned

Seems pretty plausible. I have a feeling they want to integrate the shit out of all this.

Kssio_Aug

Is it confirmed to be a new platform? For those who bought a New 3DS XL just now, this may not be such good news if a new handleheld!

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
they better not have a confusing ass name this time around

more interesting thing is the smartphone approach. Hopefully no exclusive BS, release it on all 3 platform at the same time. WP, iOS, Android

JoeM86

Is it confirmed to be a new platform? For those who bought a New 3DS XL just now, this may not be such good news if a new handleheld!

Yes it is confirmed to be, and it's well over a year out so you have nothing to worry about.

What does this exactly mean? What is with the tablet and PC part?

That's them talking about their account system, how it'll run on Wii U, 3DS, NX, Smarpthone, Tablet and PC. Stated for account management etc. on PC.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What does this exactly mean? What is with the tablet and PC part?

There's a translated slide in another thread - they'll be making a membership system to work across these platforms, presumably so you can move your Nintendo profile between all the platforms Nintendo games exist on.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ditching the Wii U sooner than expected huh. Can't blame them.

I hope this new console is devoid of more gimmicky garbage. Make a games console Nintendo.

If you're arguing that the tablet controller is a gimmick, how in the world do you think they'll get rid of that controller when the theory is that all of these mobile games will play on the next system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom