• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's dumbass idea was it for dungeon roullete to be solo queue only?

Went from 'alright cool let's do the daily dungeon together' to 'wtf can't queue for daily roulette togther , eff this I CBA' and not logging on in a week.

Tabris

One thing that happens with dive bombs is turning up sound effects, especially if you have surround sound speakers or headphones, where you can identify which direction he drops.

Then also turn your camera spin speed to 100%.`

Yeah I turned my camera up about a week ago and have had no trouble with any divebombs since, though I know the Twintania dive on the second set is catching people out due to the shorter setup time after killing the second sin.

I'm parsing around 550-560 in the first phase as MNK (providing I don't mess up my opening combo), though I know I can do better than that even though I'm missing some best in slot stuff (earrings, ring, gloves, wrists, i135 weapon). So I guess I just have to get good to push stuff faster. Sometimes I manage to lose stacks cos of lag which doesn't help.

Laekon

So this week I got to 15 as a Arcanist, Conjurer, and Thaumaturges. About how many hours should it take to get to 50 Scholar? After 30 when solo I take it I should be using Summoner to level?

EriksBlue

Banned
it's the price of the mats

that stupid shark sht

>_> man I can send my fisher retainer out or catch those two sharks like they rain from the sky. Their only expensive cuz ppl are lazy imo.
try-not.jpg

xxczx

Hello! Any help on my gear progression?
http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/10281600/

My first point is to upgrade legs and belt, I just don't have any Soldiery so I'm doing roulette and ST once a day, I just don't know what to do about accessories. The only EX I can reasonably do right now is Garuda. Is it worth buying ilvl110 from the market? I have enough gil I just don't want to waste any on stuff I'm doing to replace quite soon.

EriksBlue

Banned
Hello! Any help on my gear progression?
http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/10281600/

My first point is to upgrade legs and belt, I just don't have any Soldiery so I'm doing roulette and ST once a day, I just don't know what to do about accessories. The only EX I can reasonably do right now is Garuda. Is it worth buying ilvl110 from the market? I have enough gil I just don't want to waste any on stuff I'm doing to replace quite soon.

You wanna work on getting a better weapon or your gonna have a hell of a time keeping hate from healers and better dps. You don't need to buy i110 just by doing all of the dungeons (with sold bonus or without) will net your enough sold to gear up pretty quick.

>_> man I can send my fisher retainer out or catch those two sharks like they rain from the sky. Their only expensive cuz ppl are lazy imo.

if I had time to level a Fisher I would :( I haven't even got time to finish levelling my NIN

last semester of my degree + work + sick sister + preparing applications for career stuff = very little free time

Stuart444

How is Shiva EX in DF groups these days? Is it like HM where most people still just stand still and allow things to hit them? (which is basically what I expect from DF content that has dodgable moves lol)

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Went from 'alright cool let's do the daily dungeon together' to 'wtf can't queue for daily roulette togther , eff this I CBA' and not logging on in a week.

The roulette is intended to fill slots for people that can't find a full required party in exchange for a reward increase.

xxczx

You wanna work on getting a better weapon or your gonna have a hell of a time keeping hate from healers and better dps. You don't need to buy i110 just by doing all of the dungeons (with sold bonus or without) will net your enough sold to gear up pretty quick.
Should I start the Atma quest?

I haven't done any HM dungeons yet, I'm mainly doing story quests.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

If you want a quick access to an adequate weapon, no. Get the soldiery weapon, then Shiva weapon when you're adequately geared for Shiva Extreme (and have access to it), or save up 1300 poetics and get a i120 weapon from Unidentified Tomestone which will be available outside of raiding starting tomorrow.

EriksBlue

Banned

Eh if you plan to go at it hard and get it done in 3 months then sure but if your just casually playing FF just go for getting a sand and encrypted tomestone from ST or if they add another Tome weapon for WoD for this coming patch.

How is Shiva EX in DF groups these days? Is it like HM where most people still just stand still and allow things to hit them? (which is basically what I expect from DF content that has dodgable moves lol)

I completed Shiva Ex in DF, and it was a competent group. Not sure how lucky I was. Seems the fight is easy enough to be done on DF.

Depends, look at the whole quest and think if you can complete it by the time the expansion launches and if you feel you have the motivation to do it.

(Also if you have the money for the materia/alex step)

iammeiam

Echo and overgearing should make Shiva relatively DFable--double hailstorm because letters and inner/outer 2 confusing is no longer a one-shot for most people, I think? That and slow attrition during staff phase AOE (Absolute Zero or whatever) were two of the bigger challenges that should no longer be an issue. I don't even bother holding Blood for Blood during staff anymore.

But as with all DF a lot will depend on the group you get. If your tanks or healers insist on getting ice cubed at bad times, you're probably doomed.

Echo and overgearing should make Shiva relatively DFable--double hailstorm because letters and inner/outer 2 confusing is no longer a one-shot for most people, I think? That and slow attrition during staff phase AOE (Absolute Zero or whatever) were two of the bigger challenges that should no longer be an issue. I don't even bother holding Blood for Blood during staff anymore.

But as with all DF a lot will depend on the group you get. If your tanks or healers insist on getting ice cubed at bad times, you're probably doomed.

Surprisingly, most DF parties, still to properly dodge hailtorms and icicles. At least on my data center.

Basically I was the one screwing it more (well, it was my second time), so most people at least were experienced enough.

Stuart444

Is there's a detailed patch notes list out there yet?

Not for another 14 - 15+ hours when maint starts.

also thanks for the notes on Shiva DF. I'll probably try it out sometime this week. Seems easy enough and the pattern seems easy enough to learn. Just need some experience with it now.

edit: First time MTing anything in WoD (no one wanted to tank Dragon so I had to since it was trying to kill everyone and CoD because other two tanks died at the START).

Cloud of Darkness hurts. Surprised I didn't die. 1 Healer Stoneskinning me and Alice being one of my healers helped a lot with keeping me alive.

Also we had 6 WHMs and I only had one regen on me (Alice'). >.> 6 regens would have helped any tank I'm sure but eh.

TheMan

question: I completed the gridanian envoy quest, but I can't find the next story quest. A quick search says the next quest is call of the sea, and that I should receive the quest in old gridania. however, no story quest is appearing there. how do i get back on track?

edit: nvm found it

It's a bit of a grind. I'll break it down for you:

- Relic: Essentially your "welcome to level 50" weapon. i80. Time consumption: An evening.
- Relic Zenith: Super easy upgrade and the bog standard i90 starter weapon. It glows. Time consumption: However long it takes you to get 450 soldiery.
- Relic Atma: Not actually an upgrade in any way at all, only allows you to start Animus. Removes glow, gives weapon a colour change. Quest: Get a random drop from FATEs in 12 specific zones. Time consumption: A few days of casual play. Depends heavily on RNG.
- Relic Animus: New glow. i100. Quest: Buy books for soldiery tomes. There are 9 books. Each book requires you to kill 100 enemies, do 3 specific dungeons, FATEs and leves each. Time consumption: If playing casually, about a month.
- Relic Novus: New glow. i110. Quest: Collect 75 alexandrite and meld 75 materia with a chance of failure. Alexandrite is acquired from a daily quest, or bought with hunt seals. Also a rare drop from FATEs. Time consumption: If playing casually, a couple of months.
- Relic Nexus: New glow. i115. Quest: Do content with the weapon equipped for a very long time to accrue points. You need 2000 points. Time consumption: If playing casually but focused on doing this, about a month or two.
- Zodiac weapon: All new weapon. Doesn't glow. i125. Quest: Get random drops from 16 dungeons. Get 8 specially crafted items. Buy several items that cost 20,000 GC seals, 1,500 soldiery and 100,000 gil. Time consumption: If playing casually, probably about three weeks to a month. Depends heavily on RNG. You don't have to prepare all the items up front.
- Zodiac Zeta: Your weapon's final form. The glow is back. i135. Quest: Basically the same as Nexus but with a lower requirement and a small Soldiery expenditure. Time consumption: If playing casually, a couple of weeks.

Alternatives:
i90: Beat Garuda, Titan and Ifrit's Extreme modes, get a free i90 weapon in Revenant's Toll.
i95: Beat Leviathan Ex, pray for a weapon you can use to drop. Or: Beat Coil Turn 5, pray for a weapon.
i100: Three options: a) Get an unidentified Allagan tomestone from Syrcus Tower or Second Coil and 1300 soldiery worth of Rowena's tokens (less if PLD); b) Beat Ramuh Ex, pray for a weapon; c) Upgrade a Leviathan Ex weapon with a rare drop from Levi Ex.
i110: Three options: a) Upgrade an unidentified tomestone weapon with a Sands of Time, which drops in Syrcus Tower or Second Coil; b) Beat Shiva Ex, pray for a weapon; c) Craft an i110 weapon or buy it from the marketboards.
i115: a) Beat Coil T9, pray for a weapon; b) Beat Shiva Ex several times and use a 100% drop to upgrade your Shiva weapon.
i120: Get an encrypted tomestone from Final Coil (possibly World of Darkness soon) and 1300 poetics worth of Rowena's tokens (less if PLD).
i130: Upgrade an encrypted tombstone weapon with Carbontwine, which drops from Final Coil or is obtainable from doing all three Crystal Tower raids.
i135: Beat Coil T13, pray for a weapon.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Zeta takes three-four evenings at most, 10 hours if you ride bonus windows well. I can't imagine making a full Zeta casually right now. From the start maybe, now? It took me a solid months of nothing but focusing on the relic to make Last Resort Z and I don't wanna go at it again. Get Soldiery->Encrypted, you're set until HW.

Question to gamepad WHMs. Is there any way to set targeting so I can for example easily pick up an ACN's Garuda or fairy to throw Regen on it? With normal setup it doesn't even select it when in battle.

IvorB

- Zodiac weapon: All new weapon. Doesn't glow. i125. Quest: Get random drops from 16 dungeons. Get 8 specially crafted items. Buy several items that cost 20,000 GC seals, 1,500 soldiery and 100,000 gil. Time consumption: If playing casually, probably about three weeks to a month. Depends heavily on RNG. You don't have to prepare all the items up front.

This step is truly mental. I think Jazza truly went off the rails with this one. Luckily the next step is chilled.

I just started the relic the other day and am 4/12 atma right now. I feel like with the time until the expansion, what else can I do when not trying out a new dungeon/primal/raid? I'll mix in some crafting as well but for some reason I'd really like to get the weapon done. I'll probably just go cheap on the 75 material because I won't exactly be min-maxing for anything.

We'll see. If I can ever log in. -_-

Zeta takes three-four evenings at most, 10 hours if you ride bonus windows well. I can't imagine making a full Zeta casually right now. From the start maybe, now? It took me a solid months of nothing but focusing on the relic to make Last Resort Z and I don't wanna go at it again. Get Soldiery->Encrypted, you're set until HW.

Question to gamepad WHMs. Is there any way to set targeting so I can for example easily pick up an ACN's Garuda or fairy to throw Regen on it? With normal setup it doesn't even select it when in battle.

L1 + face buttons, allows you to change between different targeting systems (friends, enemies, etc...). I think you can customize it, so for example it only aims NPC or pets (not sure if pets counts as NPC's).

To expand upon this:

GC seals cost is: 80k (4 bombard cores, you can get them before starting the quest, if you have 50k already like me, is only farm 30K which is easily doable while getting alex on hunts)
Gil cost is: 400k (only the items you need to buy at NPC's, not counting crafted items)
Soldiery is: 6,5k (and no, you can't get the items before starting the quest, so at much you can reserve 2k tomes before startig the quest, but soldiery is easy to get these days anyway)

I'm still on first lights farm and is draining my soul. (1000+ right now)

Interfectum

Thinking about getting back into this game... a few questions:

1) How is the Golden Saucer? Live up to the hype or lame?

2) How is the triple triad game and are there any plans to keep the game fresh?

I have never fished in any mmos I played. In this game I honestly want to try it, but I know it's a beast by itself. Once I finally unlock all dungeons/raids/primals and am ~ilvl 100 I'll probably put that side of the pve on hold and really try out gathering in general. Then we'll see if I want to do all 50 with crafters. With my deadline being expansion release, I'd really just like to experience all the content at least a few times with other GAF members and finish my relic. Everything else is just a bonus.

Thinking about getting back into this game... a few questions:

1) How is the Golden Saucer? Live up to the hype or lame?

2) How is the triple triad game and are there any plans to keep the game fresh?

1) Is quite cool, but is just a midly entertainment diversion. Something to waste some time when you wait for DF or similar.

2) Triple triad is...well, triple triad. There's new rules and a total amount of 80(?) cards or so, but is just like it was in FF8, which is awesome, the minigame was perfect like it was. The one thing I hate is that you need 30 cards before able to play more than 2 stars cards, which means you're stuck with shitty cards until you grind 30 cards, because...reasons.

Honestly our biggest problem at the moment is surviving the second divebombs. It generally kills off like half the group, even if we have some time to spare after killing the second sin. We tank the sin so we're all stacked in the middle for when the divebomb happens but it still seems to be cleaning people out.

If you are all on mumble, have your most lag free person call it out or share responsibility by splitting the arena in half once bahamut is down, if the sound/wing flap notification isnt fast enough. Again, having markers north and south help a lot for calling out. As soon as bahamut drops before the green GO marker, i turn my camera and have him on my left, off screen, and immediately swing the camera and call out the clock direction. There are only 3 paths, so you learn pretty quickly.

the most important thing, and one im sure my group got annoyed of me reminding them, was to stop dodging bahamut diagonally. GO 90* LEFT/RIGHT FROM BAHAMUT FIRST ALWAYS. You have plenty of time to go north or south depending on the twin angle that you have no excuse to be dying to bahamut. Even if you orient bahamut late, moving 90* should save you as long as you werent stupid late on the green marker. You have to fight out of the urge to dodge diagonally because that fuckers dive is so damn wide, and server bullshit kept hurting people who swear they were safe.

The only real danger is the 1/7 o clock angle, because it requires everyone to shift in unison and spread for megaflare rather than the usual 2 that need to worry

If you are all on mumble, have your most lag free person call it out or share responsibility by splitting the arena in half once bahamut is down, if the sound/wing flap notification isnt fast enough. Again, having markers north and south help a lot for calling out. As soon as bahamut drops before the green GO marker, i turn my camera and have him on my left, off screen, and immediately swing the camera and call out the clock direction. There are only 3 paths, so you learn pretty quickly.

the most important thing, and one im sure my group got annoyed of me reminding them, was to stop dodging bahamut diagonally. GO 90* LEFT/RIGHT FROM BAHAMUT FIRST ALWAYS. You have plenty of time to go north or south depending on the twin angle that you have no excuse to be dying to bahamut. Even if you orient bahamut late, moving 90* should save you as long as you werent stupid late on the green marker. You have to fight out of the urge to dodge diagonally because that fuckers dive is so damn wide, and server bullshit kept hurting people who swear they were safe.

The only real danger is the 1/7 o clock angle, because it requires everyone to shift in unison and spread for megaflare rather than the usual 2 that need to worry

Yeah, we do split the group depending on which side we are on for the first two phases (i.e. me, BLM, PLD and SCH go left, the rest go right) and we use a buddy system where the people who generally don't ever get hit by divebombs are marked and the people who have trouble with them follow those marked people.

It's just in the general confusion of the add phase with the Sin dying and then bahamut and twin setting up it seems to catch people off guard.

I think some of it is because we still don't know exactly when the second divebomb is going to happen, whereas the first is pretty obviously after gigaflare.

for people who are currently doing/have cleared T13, do you have your Monk ignore all three Shadows and just stick on the boss to push phases or do you just have the Monk stay on for the third Shadow?

We're currently doing the latter but watching some videos of clears it seems like a lot of Monks just sit on the boss for all three. We have enough DPS to kill the add before the flame breath so I'm starting to think I should just stick on it for all three in order to push phases quicker.

Thoughts?

i kill the 1st shadow and that's it. I just stick on the boss after that. it's all just about hitting that timing into add phase so do w/e you want

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Has the Heavensward CE gone up for preorder anywhere outside of se store yet?

I keep checking in and nothing. Amazon's had it listed for a while, but has yet to ever go on sale from what I could tell.

Gamestop I heard had pre-order in stores, but through that online order thing they do. I find that hard to believe though, since their website doesn't even have it listed yet.

*shrugs*

Kenai

You can queue for the higher level ones as a group fine, just not the lowbie ones, cause they want poor lowbies to get through the dungeons rather than be ignored by full groups indefinitely. Which I am ok with.

It's also one of the reasons i think the starting level of the new jobs won't be very high (or they will be but they will make you go through the lowbie dungeons anyway if your toon is new). They will want all those people with those new jobs carrying new players through the pre-50 story.

I keep checking in and nothing. Amazon's had it listed for a while, but has yet to ever go on sale from what I could tell.

Gamestop I heard had pre-order in stores, but through that online order thing they do. I find that hard to believe though, since their website doesn't even have it listed yet.

*shrugs*

They do have it listed in store. I didn't want it because it's not the CE, just the normal one. GMG is fine with me.

Shamdeo

what else can I do when not trying out a new dungeon/primal/raid?

in no recommended order:

- the chronicles of hildibrand quests, he will be your new senpai
- delivery moogle mini-scenario quests
- final fishing xiv (the true endgame)
- join the hunt and hunt things and maybe get gaf'd
- purchase a house or (realistically) a room in the FC estate & customize to your liking
- gardening (ideal if you have your own place, FC has designated peeps but maybe they want help?)
- make friends with four beastmen tribes & do their daily chores (story stuff here too)
- level up and customize your chocobo companion
- pvp in the wolves den or frontlines
- get eternally bonded (player marriage) to your favorite someone & have a crazy wedding
- relic quest (long grind ahead of you, but if you want bragging rights...)
- complete the sightseeing log (cool lore stuff here)
- play triple triad against npcs or your friends
- winebaud's riddles (puzzle quest chain with no hints or handholding in quest log)
- collect or buy solo/party treasure maps then go dig them up for loot
- race chocobos and then breed them and then race more
- buy gold saucer vanity stuff by doing daily/weekly catcpots
- level another combat/crafting/gathering class
- go on a minion collecting binge
- go on a mount collecting binge (aka pony farm)
- make money/xp completeing challenge log objectives
- make money crafting/gathering/spiritbonding/selling clears to lazy people
- visit the aesthetician and get a new look or don't
- play parley and slide i+xiv microgames in your inn room or carnival-esque microgames at gold saucer
- rewatch any cutscene you've unlocked for funsies (perhaps while wearing silly clothes)
- go achievement hunting (a truckton)
- roleplay (i won't judge you)
- erotic roleplay (ok, i will judge you)
& stuff i'm forgetting but will add here if i remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom