• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably getting a Vita in a couple of days so I'd like to ask a couple of questions regarding Remote Play for this game:

Can you use the touchscreen for the keyboard for the chat?

Is there any input lag?

BadRNG

I'm probably getting a Vita in a couple of days so I'd like to ask a couple of questions regarding Remote Play for this game:

Can you use the touchscreen for the keyboard for the chat?

Is there any input lag?
It's been awhile, but I don't think you can. The touchscreen just acts as a virtual mouse. Maybe something has changed or I am just remembering wrong, but definitely don't remember being able to use the vita's touch keyboard.

Input lag will depend on your own connection. Local remote play is pretty great for me, and I have heard of some who use it over the internet to grind stuff at work, but for other's it's barely playable even on local network. No way to know for sure until you try it yourself.

iammeiam

Just to see if you can beat it or what, I am confused.

Basically. I know it's technically possible for a group to 7-man all of FCoB. I don't know if it's possible for a group of GAF folks Felix is able to rope into this stuff to 7-man things + a random newbie. 10 wound up being a lot easier than expected, and the problem with 11 wasn't at all the presence of the new person it was just that we're all really bad at tethers and adapting to new tether strategies and not murdering each other with tethers. 12's tight DPS check and hefty death penalties could/probably will be an issue, but gotta try first.

13 is easier for DPS than 9 imo.

I feel like all of Final Coil is pretty easy for a DPS from a mechanics standpoint, especially melee, which means there aren't really any excuses for not putting out your max DPS.

I'm still not happy with mine honestly but not sure how much I need to fix since I'm still missing some BiS items. I still have a couple of 110 accessories and need my BiS gloves and weapon. That'll remove some skill speed from my build so I'll need to change my rotation up.

Hopefully with Final Coil being unlocked we can get some farm parties going to shore up the last of our gear needs then I can properly evaluate myself.

Valor

T13 is probably way harder now. Even I've healed T9 at this point as WHM. Echo makes it pretty forgiving if you know the fight from the outset. T13 looks like a nightmare, however, and I'm 100% not interested in ever healing that. Managing aggro, keeping up with raid heals + single target heals, etc etc. It's just a lot of work and I'd rather be dpsing it if I have to actually do work on that fight.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I mean, yeah, if we compare T9 now to T13 now, T13 is harder. But back in the day T9 also required well-timed casts and unambiguous responses and similarly with Echo you'll probably be able to relax in T13 a bit, not care about microtimings as much and so on.

Maybe it's a matter of perspective. I've been healing for a year or more and these things don't seem so outrageous to me, but as a DPS, I find it straining to watch your rotation and cooldowns, while doing mechanics, while doing good damage. Like, Jesus H. Christ, how do Summoners keep track of everything?

Or maybe it just comes down to a good group, idk. People tell me I'm good, I think I get carried every week.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I feel like all of Final Coil is pretty easy for a DPS from a mechanics standpoint, especially melee, which means there aren't really any excuses for not putting out your max DPS.

I'm still not happy with mine honestly but not sure how much I need to fix since I'm still missing some BiS items. I still have a couple of 110 accessories and need my BiS gloves and weapon. That'll remove some skill speed from my build so I'll need to change my rotation up.

Hopefully with Final Coil being unlocked we can get some farm parties going to shore up the last of our gear needs then I can properly evaluate myself.

I'm expecting you to out dps me when I get back.

Good news everyone, I was released from the hospital. I'm still in recovery at home. The medicine schedule is exhausting.

There is nothing more terrifying then a Bennu running at Saff (our WHM) as I am swapping Purgatory with him.

As a certain NIN in our static put it, then hit like grown men with 2 kids and a mortgage. WHMs aint got time for that.

The most important thing I learned about Squenix while dealing with bennu is something I've actually known since FFXI but I stupidly thought maybe they had changed since then.

Squenix literally does not test FFXIV for playability outside of Japan. They don't. Period. I should have understood this when people in the EU or with bad connections were complaining about how their lag made it so if they see Titan EX's landslide ground indicator and they literally were not already out of it before it appeared, they were already dead because of how awful this game's netcode and server code make it for players with worse-than-Japanese lag. These EU players had to memorize the exact timing of when Titan EX did things and start moving before the indicator appeared or they would always fly off the arena.

Bennu has the shortest window of time between when the server makes it appear and when it begins to act of any mob that I've seen in this game. Most of time, my connection from the West Coast US to Squenix's servers in Montreal, Canada through the shittiest and most congested Internet backbone conceived by sadistic engineers which routes between most of the US and Montreal is pretty good. Bennu appears, I hit bennu with the combo'd Skull Sunder I have prepared specifically for bennu, then bennu turns around and starts hitting me like a good bennu should.

However, at least 25% of the time, by the time bennu appears, it is already halfway to Saff and is preparing to peck his face off before I have even seen bennu on my screen. There is enough lag spiking or latency variance between me, Comcast, and Squenix Montreal that bennu does not even appear for me until bennu has decided that Saff needs to die and is like a huge battleship which is approaching Saff fast.

Even better is when I have just enough upstream lag to be aggravating because of how shitty and unresponsive this game is because of shitty the game's internal command queuing is and how server ticks seem to work. Then what happens is bennu appears, I smack bennu with Skull Sunder, I see Skull Sunder's animation complete, and then bennu takes off to get a Saff Snack, gets halfway to him on my screen, and then changes his mind and comes back to me. I'm at the point where I know this is going to happen, so when bennu does this, I don't even chase bennu anymore, I stand there and wait for bennu to turn around and come back to me and I can complete Butcher's Block and then I can have my way with bennu, any way I like.

What's even more awesome is when our BLM gets off a unfortunately perfectly timed Flare between when I complete my Skull Sunder animation and when bennu decides it wants to eat me after all instead of Saff. Then what happens is bennu gets halfway to Saff, comes back towards me, I push the Butcher's Block button and I begin animating Butcher's Block and while this is happening bennu takes off and eats Kooky instead.

Since I'm on a roll ranting about how shitty and unresponsive this game is, I'll also mention my biggest peeve in this game.

I swear to God, Squenix are the biggest fucking douchebags on Earth designing an MMO which manages to have terrible netcode and server code yet also requires you to complete a stupid-ass skill animation before the skill goes off. Oh and that's not all, what actually happens internally inside the server is first the skill is triggered when the animation ends, then the skill's cooldown triggers, and ONLY THEN AFTER ALL THAT does the skill actually trigger in the server.

This is why it's possible for skills like Benediction, Hallowed Ground, Tempered Will, Holmgang, Perfect Dodge, etc. to have so many points of failure where you die before it works. First you have to waste 2 seconds animating it. Then you wait a server tick. Then the skill goes on cooldown. Then you wait a second server tick, and ONLY THEN does the skill actually trigger. I've died after watching Holmgang go on cooldown but not actually trigger more times than I care to count. I've literally completed the stupid chaining animation, seen it go on cooldown, and then die anyways because fuck you that's why.

Go choke on a bag of dicks and die, Squenix.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Go choke on a bag of dicks and die, Squenix.

0aWwD7B.png

scy

Like, Jesus H. Christ, how do Summoners keep track of everything?

Outside of Shadow Flare, I just have my DoTs on an internal timer. I had ACT set up for giving me actual cooldown timers on my skills so I could better time things like sitting on Fester for Raging Strikes and not wasting Aetherflow uptime but now I just track it myself. It's just a lot of counting, really. I have no idea how I still screw up Shadow Flare to this day, though. Just something about it slips my mind until it's been gone for 10s or so.

As for healing, it's not really about hard to execute it but that screwing it up means somebody died which probably means a wipe. So more just the pressure of doing it. At least, that's how I feel about it whenever I'm healing: The constant worry about doing it right rather than getting by due to other factors.

WolvenOne

Which is tougher to learn, 9 or 13? I realize it's gonna suck regardless since I'm WHM but I'm just curious.

Mmmm, toughie, because they're very different, buuut, my thoughts.

T9 first phase is easier, than the first 2 phases of T13, by far. There's a lot more you have to learn to deal with in the first two phases on T13.

Now, I'm going to compare Meteor Add Phase, to Add Divebomb phase. This one's a close call, but I'd say T9's was ever so slightly harder. Divebombs aren't really that difficult to deal with in T13, and while the DPS checker is a little tighter in T13 (Can't bring in a extra DPS to expedite matters,) positioning is a bit more forgiving.

Comparing Heavensfall and forward to T13's last phase, I'd give this one to T13. T9's can be a bit more hectic, but Bakamutt's damage output can spike to truly insane levels and wipe the party easily unless both Tanks and Healers both do their jobs correctly. What's more, the DPS check in the final phase feels a bit steeper, probably because once again you cannot go in with 5 DPS.

What T9 clearly does have going for it, is that compared to earlier fights there isn't anything really comparable to it. T5 is simple in comparison. Conversely, by the time you reach T13, you have experience with a few fights of similar complexity. So T13 isn't quite as overwhelming as T9 would have been when people saw it for the first time, even though T13 is a bit tougher on the whole.

Wilsongt

I mean, yeah, if we compare T9 now to T13 now, T13 is harder. But back in the day T9 also required well-timed casts and unambiguous responses and similarly with Echo you'll probably be able to relax in T13 a bit, not care about microtimings as much and so on.

Maybe it's a matter of perspective. I've been healing for a year or more and these things don't seem so outrageous to me, but as a DPS, I find it straining to watch your rotation and cooldowns, while doing mechanics, while doing good damage. Like, Jesus H. Christ, how do Summoners keep track of everything?

Or maybe it just comes down to a good group, idk. People tell me I'm good, I think I get carried every week.

SMN is Zzzzzz. Not difficult at all. Ruru can be a whore, but not like Eos.

scy

The min/max in me hates them all for having bad stats :(

But uh, I'm fairly boring so I really like Eder personality wise. Even think his subquest is more interesting than the rest of the early game companions. I restarted my last file and went full custom for my party so I have limited time with pretty much everyone after Caed Nua unfortunately so I can't comment too much else.

super curious about Sagani's story though but then I'd have to use her

Maybe I'm just being a jerk but I have a low tolerance for raid starting 30 minutes or later

you're not a jerk at all.

I get impatient if we start even 5 minutes late. When you're putting aside time in your day to raid people should respect that and be on time

if they aren't they need to wear a dunce hat. No mercy.

edit: though it's worth pointing out if the person/people who are late warn you they will be a decent amount if time beforehand then it's not really an issue.

iammeiam

If you needed more proof the game is dead, Nandi popped and I was able to hit Divine Seal 3 times before death with room to spare. We also had a party of 4, 3 of which were dps, one of whom spent basically a full duration petrified, and still got full credit. Can it be June now? Even S ranks can't fake a pulse anymore.

(In nondead game news, I learned what the auto-resolve button for stronghold conflicts does. VERY BAD THINGS.)

scy

If you needed more proof the game is dead, Nandi popped and I was able to hit Divine Seal 3 times before death with room to spare. We also had a party of 4, 3 of which were dps, one of whom spent basically a full duration petrified, and still got full credit. Can it be June now? Even S ranks can't fake a pulse anymore.

I somehow still missed it.

(In nondead game news, I learned what the auto-resolve button for stronghold conflicts does. VERY BAD THINGS.)

The auto-lose button!

I still hold out hope they unlock poetics cap. Sure Final Coil farm parties will add a little life but then back to deadness.

Don't know how that S mark missed GW app but it's hard for me to care now about missed s marks.

I still hold out hope they unlock poetics cap. Sure Final Coil farm parties will add a little life but then back to deadness.

Don't know how that S mark missed GW app but it's hard for me to care now about missed s marks.

ppl with the guildwork app need to have seen the mob. if they don't the gw app doesn't register it being up

WolvenOne

Well, hopefully Tuesdays patch will give the game a shot in the arm for a few weeks. Really though, the delay of the expansion is really showing. XD

for people who are currently doing/have cleared T13, do you have your Monk ignore all three Shadows and just stick on the boss to push phases or do you just have the Monk stay on for the third Shadow?

We're currently doing the latter but watching some videos of clears it seems like a lot of Monks just sit on the boss for all three. We have enough DPS to kill the add before the flame breath so I'm starting to think I should just stick on it for all three in order to push phases quicker.

Thoughts?

Tabris

for people who are currently doing/have cleared T13, do you have your Monk ignore all three Shadows and just stick on the boss to push phases or do you just have the Monk stay on for the third Shadow?

We're currently doing the latter but watching some videos of clears it seems like a lot of Monks just sit on the boss for all three. We have enough DPS to kill the add before the flame breath so I'm starting to think I should just stick on it for all three in order to push phases quicker.

Thoughts?

Your MNK should go on each shadow.

Honestly, if you have trouble pushing to the 3rd phase there (surviving while progressing, sure, but pushing shouldn't be a problem), then something is wrong with your DPS. It should be the opposite, you need to ensure not to do too much damage so the 3rd add dies before bahamut hits 52%. We've had the 3rd add up (and it will always spawn) when gigaflare went off multiple times.

What I recommend is LB1 on Bahamut just as you push into Phase 2, or not even using an LB during Phase 1 + 2, instead of anything like LB2 which a lot of guides recommend, then you'll for sure have full LB3 for Teraflare and you won't risk the above.

Your MNK should go on each shadow.

Honestly, if you have trouble pushing to the 3rd phase there (surviving while progressing, sure, but pushing shouldn't be a problem), then something is wrong with your DPS. It should be the opposite, you need to ensure not to do too much damage so the 3rd add dies before bahamut hits 52%. We've had the 3rd add up (and it will always spawn) when gigaflare went off multiple times.

What I recommend is LB1 on Bahamut just as you push into Phase 2, or not even using an LB during Phase 1 + 2, instead of anything like LB2 which a lot of guides recommend, then you'll for sure have full LB3 for Teraflare and you won't risk the above.

We're generally hitting the Megaflare during the third flare star phase and then going straight to giga, sometimes skipping the megaflare. We're not so slow that we're seeing the third Rage cast happen, just sometimes things can get a little sketchy with the orbs. We do use LB1 when it's available and have LB3 ready well before any Terrflare cast would happen.

Honestly our biggest problem at the moment is surviving the second divebombs. It generally kills off like half the group, even if we have some time to spare after killing the second sin. We tank the sin so we're all stacked in the middle for when the divebomb happens but it still seems to be cleaning people out.

The shadow thing was just me wondering since some clear videos have the MNK just sticking on the boss, and if it gets to 54ish % the MNK will peel off and help clean up the last add before they all stack for giga.

BadRNG

Honestly our biggest problem at the moment is surviving the second divebombs. It generally kills off like half the group, even if we have some time to spare after killing the second sin. We tank the sin so we're all stacked in the middle for when the divebomb happens but it still seems to be cleaning people out.

The shadow thing was just me wondering since some clear videos have the MNK just sticking on the boss, and if it gets to 54ish % the MNK will peel off and help clean up the last add before they all stack for giga.
If you got focus target on Bahamut you should know as soon as he reappears. Either tell people to boost their camera speed up to find him faster or use markers and call out what side of the room he's on.

If you are pushing post-third mega it sounds like you could still shave off a decent amount of time so you can stay on Bahamut if you don't need the extra dps on shadow. A lot of the clear videos did it like that since they were done back before everyone had the gear they got now. Even a few extra seconds could of been important. Not really big deal either way though, up to the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom