• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AngryJoe receives a Nintendo copyright claim. Hope they enjoyed the ad revenue; Done

They don't. They obtain the license from the PUBLISHER. the devs do not own the license to the game.

In the example I quoted, the developer and publisher are largely the same.

My point is that I doubt IGN's paying Nintendo--or any other company--to cover their games. And I'd like to see a cite from someone that claims the contrary

That's a Copyright Claim, NOT a Copyright Strike, NOT a Privacy Claim, NOT a DMCA Takedown Request, NOT a Community Complaint, and not any of the other horrible things that could happen. There are almost less protections for YouTube Hosts than there are for eBay Sellers.

You either get busy disputing or get busy crying.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Reviews != Let's Plays

How many times do we have to keep repeating this?

KGhSIaV.jpg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They are major youtube personalities. You can very easily see what they are playing and posting. You know the very thing this whole thread is about?

Just because they're covering a game for review or preview doesn't mean they're not playing other games.
And no, that's not what this whole thread is about. You might want to read the OP.

Another opinion on the case, I'm just gonna leave this here, viewer discretion reccomended: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACxVUcCq4Lc

Still no ReviewTechUSA video... :(

This video is basically reflecting what I think, in more vulgar language.

I think this whole controversy was something angryjoe wanted to happen and fully expected it. Without controversy he doesn't get news articles. He is just another youtuber/twitch streamer. When there is controversy, he capitalizes on it - which is smart as fuck - but still a bit shameful at the same time.

Angry Joe does a good job creating content for his audience. Drama = exposure = views and people who love that type of stuff will love his channel's content. If he wanted to expand to Nintendo's games, he could have chosen the proper route regardless of shared revenue - or he could have chosen to stay away from it.

He either 1. didn't do his homework which makes him look stupid, 2. did his homework and did it anyway which means he is arrogant as fuck, believing himself above the law/rules, or 3. did it to generate news/clicks (most likely) which fabricated this entire controversy of vargas vs nintendo (which to me is just shameful).

BY2K

Membero Americo
The weird thing about this is that he already got hit by this thing with Mario Kart 8 and complained about.

Why did he think it would be any different with Mario Party 10? Did he not check if anything had changed since?

There's also the fact that he says he blew 900$ on a Wii U + Games + Accessories but in a previous video he said it was the fans that donated the money so he could get the Wii U.

Vena

The weird thing about this is that he already got hit by this thing with Mario Kart 8 and complained about.

Why did he think it would be any different with Mario Party 10? Did he not check if anything had changed since?

There's also the fact that he says he blew 900$ on a Wii U + Games + Accessories but in a previous video he said it was the fans that donated the money so he could get the Wii U.

I think we're well beyond the fact that this is fabricated controversy for attention.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

I've been saying this. Nobody has been listening.

Fishy...

213372bu

Banned
What the fuck did I just watch

More importantly, why the fuck is this guy having a psychotic break over the fact that Joe won't be having Nintendo on his channel?

Why should content creators HAVE to put up a Nintendo video? Why is there a problem when he wants to do other things?

His fan's "donations" are his source of revenue.

His fans asked him to buy a Wii U, and after years of begging he finally caved in.

Before any of these controversies, he was already saying he enjoyed the Wii U more than XBO/PS4

Gradon

Yet people are still defending him... Hmmm...

Aside from his reviews he doesnt seem to invest money in his streams at all. On Topic I rarely see him playing Nintendo games or reviewing Nintendo games.

That's fair. I personally feel that developers do have the right to have some kind of say in the content created with their IP, creatively and monetarily. Some disagree with that notion, and that's fine. But I don't fault any person or corporation for asking a cut and/or review of the content before it goes live.
They do, above and beyond what's probably reasonable, and I don't see how allowing people to make Let's Plays degrades their rights to control their properties. Copyrights have to be enforced for them to matter, yes, but I don't see what putting up both bureaucratic and financial barriers for people to cover their games is really protecting them from. Plus reserving the right to possibly refuse any video that expresses an opinion about their games that they don't agree with is a slippery slope to go down, and the fact that Nintendo are okay with being completely blatant about it while Microsoft tried to do the same thing on the down-low and got slammed for it is a testament to how much leeway people give Nintendo.

Red Devil

Not sure why there would be a RT USA video. There's no new news, I think he already posted a video on it earlier last year

Because he seems to like to beat the dead horse with some topics.

Who the fuck is this? Why is he yelling like Joe shot his dog family behind the barn?

I thought this guy was being ironic or something.

--
My brother just walked by and he was wondering if I was watching somebody have a mental breakdown.

He wasn't wrong.

Nah he's just a guy who rants about gaming and "the gaming community" and occasionally other random stuff.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Another opinion on the case, I'm just gonna leave this here, viewer discretion reccomended: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACxVUcCq4Lc

Still no ReviewTechUSA video... :(

Hey everyone look at me! I'm going to call Angry Joe out on this in hopes of gaining some attention and subscribers, cause I can really use some! I'll be sure to get even angrier than Joe was, and I'll be sure to cuss and have my veins bulging and everything!

Honestly this all stems from youtubes rules regarding copyrighted content. It's YouTube that allows publishers to take all the revenue. That's why the whole discussion about a double standard for review sites is pointless. If these youtubers don't like YouTube's rules they can always just go start their own site.

Phamit

Yeah, thats the biggest mystery, I think he also complained about the Program from nintendo on twitter

Pop

Yup. Fabricated controversy, but built on something that's still kinda shitty.

I think Joe was streaming this on twitch and after decided to put it up on youtube. I wouldn't say this is fabricated or in anyway blame AJ.

This is Nintendo's fault. Shitty the way they go about this.

I think Joe was streaming this on twitch and after decided to put it up on youtube. I wouldn't say this is fabricated or in anyway blame AJ.

Joe knew about the program... so how is Joe somehow completely innocent in all this?

Im pretty confident he knew about it. AJ is just playing everyone who is calling him out now

Orayn

Joe already knew that Nintendo does this. This isn't his first rant about getting a ContentID match of a video of a Nintendo game.

Instead of using their partner program or not doing Nintendo videos any more, he just said "Fuck it" and went ahead anyway. That's where I fault him in all this. He knew what would likely happen, he just hoped he could skate by unnoticed and acted surprised and upset when he couldn't.

Valtýr

Nintendo's policies are disgusting and antigamer. These companies that are stuck in the past will just have to learn what the future is about.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

No, Joe knew about Nintendo's policy. He got a copyright claim before and even made a video ranting about it then. Also, why is he so butthurt about Nintendo wanting to split the monetization if it's just a stream from Twitch? It's not like he put any additional effort into the Youtube version.

VariantX

Dude, he streamed mk8 a while ago then uploaded it to YouTube and the same exact happened. There is zero chance he did not see this shit coming.

213372bu

Banned
Joe already knew that Nintendo does this. This isn't his first rant about getting a ContentID match of a video of a Nintendo game.

Instead of using their partner program or not doing Nintendo videos any more, he just said "Fuck it" and went ahead anyway. That's where I fault him in all this. He knew what would likely happen, he just hoped he could skate by unnoticed and acted surprised and upset when he couldn't.

He wanted to call attention to it.

Plain and simple.

He already said it in his first video that he was going to upload another Nintendo video at some point regardless, and that if something happened he would be done.

No conspiracy here he's very direct about it.

Top Bottom