• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Zeno Clash thread. MY CHILDREN.

Lord Phol

Wow the webcomic is just faptcualar, really diggin the art.
Makes me think that the game could look really well if made in a cell-shading style similar to Prince of Persia.

FuKuy

- The game has the best 1st. person melee combat of all time.
- The art style is unforgettable
- Achievements and tower champion ensure replayability.
- The game is fun.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
FuKuy said:
- The game has the best 1st. person melee combat of all time.
- The art style is unforgettable
- Achievements and tower champion ensure replayability.
- The game is fun.
Kind of.

Erudite

Zeno Clash DLC, Demo and SDK in the Works
Zeno Clash designer Andres Bordeu has told Shacknews about ACE Team's plans for the first-person puncher post-release, including an SDK and downloadable content.

"We're planning on releasing DLC and releasing a compatible SDK so users can edit levels and other assets" said Bordeu, confirming details in a foreign-language interview with LagZero. No release date is scheduled yet but "it shouldn't take us very long."

ACE Team is currently working on a Zeno Clash demo, as well as a patch due "soon" to address "some game play mechanics, other tweaks, and general bug fixing."

"We're gathering all the community feedback we're getting," said Bordeu on the post-release response to the game. "We want to listen to what the players are saying."

On the DLC front, Bordeu says new Tower challenges are "definitely something we want to do" and that any added "will be free." He teases "We are also discussing the possibilty [sic] of doing other things," but ACE is "not ready to share them yet."

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
v4gr4nt said:
Nice !
You got to remember people that Ace Team is a small, Indy studio (if I'm not mistaken,they have like 7 members), so you can't ask for a "50 dollars-big studio" level polish. Let's hope that they get the attention they deserve so they get some funding to do bigger projects.
Now they're a small, rich, indy studio. The game has charted highly on steam back during the first deals, and then on release.

Valve really raked in the cash-money for these guys assuming the contracts weren't weird.

If Valve didn't take the game under its wings it wouldn't have done nearly as well imo. The deals Valve put on it were genius.

fallout

Costanza said:
Ughhhh the last boss is so fucking frustrating
I'm stuck on the fight at the gate where you have to take out the two big ones. I shudder to think what the last boss is like. :|

Ventrue

fallout said:
I'm stuck on the fight at the gate where you have to take out the two big ones. I shudder to think what the last boss is like. :|

Beating those two bastards to death with only a sliver of health left over at the end was so satisfying.

I don't really see what the deal people have with the final boss is, I found it a lot easier than some of the other bosses towards the end.

dLMN8R

I'm starting to wonder if this game has really sold all that well, even with that 50% off preorder deal. First day it peaked at around 1500 concurrent players, but in the last 24 hours it never got above 400 :-(

fallout

Ventrue said:
I don't really see what the deal people have with the final boss is, I found it a lot easier than some of the other bosses towards the end.
Final boss spoilers:

So far, my problem with it has been the fact that I can't safely get at Father-Mother when there are brothers/sisters around. But by the time that I dispose of the brothers/sisters, more show up. So, I either waste my health trying to kill the boss, or waste my health trying to kill the brothers/sisters. Either way, I die. I'm trying to find a better strategy, but I've died about 15 times now and it's basically not getting any better. Even when I'm doing well, I'll get hit by a random skull bong, which fucks me right over, so I guess it'll be part luck if I ever do this.

FUCK. Just had a perfect run and then fucked it up at the end. Father-Mother went ape-shit on my and took out 50% of my health.

Ooooh. There were only two brothers. Now I feel silly. :D

Neat game! Enjoyed it much.

Volcynika

Update released

Updates to Zeno Clash have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Zeno Clash

New feature: The player can throw the weapon with the 'block' key

Added a manual lock-on option in the main menu

Fixed grab items / autolock conflict (enemies can’t be targeted when looking down)

Player can now unlock by running backwards

Balanced difficulty level of Tower challenges

Final boss battle has a health fruit (slightly easier)

Boss characters can grab the player when he is unlocked

Fixed infinite kick exploit

Fixed heavy opponents pains issue

MNC

Is the infinite kick exploit spamming left click while looking down? :lol I loved doing that, the sound it made was so satisfying.

dLMN8R

Just beat the game. Pretty damned crazy, especially some elements right around chapter 9 and 10. The end gets a bit repetitive, but lucky the game overall isn't long enough for it to turn into a *bad* game by any means.

For the $10 I got it for, totally awesome. For $20, I'd say that if you enjoyed the demo, get the full game for sure. Some of the stuff though is just so damned cool. Practically worth $20 just to see how crazy and creative some of the later environments are!

Haven't tried any of the challenge mode yet, but I'll give it a shot later.

Mdk7

Beaten it, finally.
I didn't really like that much the actual gameplay (but it might be due to the fact i never play games on PC and i had little experience with the keyboard...), but somehow i kept feeling like playing the game more and more.
Astonishing experience overall, the art is beyond awesome.
And i'd love to see and know more about that charming universe.

GG Ace Team!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The demo was pretty kickass. Knowing how often Steam sales pop up, however, I'm hoping it will show up for $10 again sometime soon.

I saw a thread on one of my torrent sites forums, apparently the developer posted this at mininova.org

I‘m one of the developers of Zeno Clash. I would appreciate you read this if you are about to download this file.

Zeno Clash is an independently funded game by a very small and sacrificed group of people. The only way in which we can continue making games like this (or a sequel) is to have good sales.

I am aware that at this moment there is still no demo of the game, but we are working on one which will be available soon.

We cannot do anything to stop piracy of the game (and honestly don‘t intend to do so) but if you are downloading because you wish to try before you buy, I would ask that you purchase the game (and support the independent game development scene) if you enjoy it. We plan on updating Zeno Clash with DLC and continuing support for the game long after it‘s release.

Thanks for taking the time to read this... hopefully it will make a difference.

Carlos Bordeu
ACE Team

Its the first i've heard of the game, interesting approach to anti-piracy to say the least.

TheHeretic said:
Zeno Clash is an independently funded game by a very small and sacrificed group of people. The only way in which we can continue making games like this (or a sequel) is to have good sales.

I bought this game despite knowing my current PC cannot play the game just to support this kind of out-there art that could never be made by the big publishers and developers

love to see more stuff from these guys

Leatherface

TheHeretic said:
I saw a thread on one of my torrent sites forums, apparently the developer posted this at mininova.org

Its the first i've heard of the game, interesting approach to anti-piracy to say the least.

I was going to download a copy to try out first (just to make sure), but screw it. I'll just take a chance and buy it. In the future though I think it would best serve developers like this to release a demo before the launch or fairly quickly after launch. It may cut down on the number of people who steal it.

dark10x

Leatherface said:
I was going to download a copy to try out first (just to make sure), but screw it. I'll just take a chance and buy it. In the future though I think it would best serve developers like this to release a demo before the launch or fairly quickly after launch. It may cut down on the number of people who steal it.
They have released a demo, though. It's true that it did not show up immediately, but it's out now. I gave it a shot and will probably pick up the game sometime in the near future as it was good fun. I already have a backlog to work on, however, so I'll probably wait a bit. I never feel a sense of immediacy with digital downloads that occurs with retail titles. I know Zeno Clash will remain on Steam for a while to come and will likely be sold for a lower price at some point. With retail stores, however, it's more hit or miss with many titles disappearing from the shelves if one fails to scoop them up early on. Obviously not true with big name titles, but it does occur frequently with smaller games.

woxel1

I love Zeno Clash. There's something ineffably cool about the mix of Something Old and Something New, wrapped up in an unforgettable package of weird. And there's just no getting around the aesthetic. I want to compare it to an out-there filmmaker, like Terry Gilliam or Guillermo del Toro, but there's something a little less filmic and a little more storybook about it. It's not gritty and grainy, or terribly clean for that matter, but handmade and alive! And the scope of it all, in spite of its limitations, is terrifying in the completeness of its vision. As bizarre as the script is, it has one and it's sticking to it. But the less I could understand what was happening, the more I enjoyed it -- this game really transports you to another world, takes you to the edge, and back again. The pacing is really good too: because the action is so straightforward, there's little illusion or confusion of what you have to do. And with the addition of Achievements (got to have those) and Challenge Mode leaderboards, it has all the trappings of a competitive game. But at its heart, Zeno Clash is an intense story of self-discovery and retribution that deserves more than a passing look.

Plus the mere fact that the developers would see fit to release The Malstrums Mansion in conjunction with ZC makes ACE Team the new indie studio to watch. Love it.

ACE Team announces the release their first free DLC: The Zeno Clash Model Pack for Garry's Mod. The pack includes 70 models with the bizarre characters and creatures from the award winning Zeno Clash to be used with the popular Source engine mod Garry's Mod.

"This is a great addition to the existing library of assets and we really hope the fans will enjoy the content and start developing their own Zeno Clash inspired videos, screens or machinima." says Andres Bordeu from ACE Team. ACE Team will continue to support Zeno Clash with free DLC and updates. Stay tuned for future updates.

Garry's Mod is a physics sandbox. Unlike regular games there aren't any predefined aims or goals. Players are given tools and are left to entertain themselves. You spawn objects and weld them together to create your own contraptions — whether that's a car, a rocket, a catapult or something that doesn't have a name yet — that's up to you.

Owners of Garry's Mod must purchase Zeno Clash to get the free models. Owners of Zeno Clash should purchase Garry's Mod which requires that you own one of these Source engine games.

YouTube will not be the same.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/2492/

dark10x

I'd like to grab the full game, but messing around with the demo revealed that 360 pad support is pretty spotty. Any particular reason why the right analog stick simply would not work as a camera? It seems like such an obvious thing, yet I can't get it to work. Left stick only (turning left/right as well as moving forward and backwards). The game seems like a natural fit for a gamepad and would allow me to more easily enjoy the game from my couch. If I can get the pad working properly, I'll jump on it.

Any ideas?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The art in this game is freaking PHENOMENAL. If only the base gameplay was a tad more fun.

I just bet the (first?) Hunter. The presentation of the world is better than most AAA titles. So good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the game.

Anything I have to say will probably just be a redux of what has already been said, but yeah, it boggles my mind that a game of such a high quality was able to be made with so few people behind the scenes.

I liked the gameplay by the end of the game, but the real standout throughout was, like I said a few hours ago, the phenomenal art. Source Engine + Good Artists = HOLY SHIT. The environments were gorgeous, and the character models were better than most games currently made from the heavy hitters.

The concept of Father-Mother and all the unique characters found throughout the game were freaking fantastic. The writing and [infrequently] the voice acting weren't of "ZOMG-AAA" quality at all times, but what was presented was relatively great. I'm willing to let stuff like that slide when it comes to games like this.

The base combat was excellent once I wrapped my head around everything I could do, and dealing with a crowd. The little bits of gameplay variety sprinkled in throughout were much appreciated.

What an inventive game. It was a joy to play.

Broseybrose

Amazing game! Wouldve never known about it if i hadnt watched this week's CO-OP! I bought it immediately after watching the episode. Judging by the art alone, i figured itd be worth my money. I love exploring new, interesting, and beautiful worlds. For me, this game-world/lore/story is as interesting as Fallout 3 or Bioshock (my games of 07 & 08). Im just really feeling it.

dark10x said:
I'd like to grab the full game, but messing around with the demo revealed that 360 pad support is pretty spotty. Any particular reason why the right analog stick simply would not work as a camera? It seems like such an obvious thing, yet I can't get it to work. Left stick only (turning left/right as well as moving forward and backwards). The game seems like a natural fit for a gamepad and would allow me to more easily enjoy the game from my couch. If I can get the pad working properly, I'll jump on it.

Any ideas?
1427dyc.jpg

Jirotrom

I just played the demo really early this morning... has there been a steam special on this yet? I want the game but i'm tight on funds.

epmode

dark10x said:

Any ideas?
The XBCD custom drivers would probably allow you to remap your axis settings so that the game recognizes both of them. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble if it's just one game.

Personally, I *love* XBCD but that's because I'm often playing older games which have serious problems with the default 360 drivers.

edit: Wow, too late.

Ledsen

So I played through this game today, lasted less than 3 hours according to Steam. What an amazing game! The atmosphere was simply unparallelled, LOVE the river level. They really squeezed some great things out of the old Source Engine, everything just looked... pleasant. I also love the fact that I was able to finish it in one session. Great game and I would recommend it to everyone!

fallout

Ledsen said:
So I played through this game today, lasted less than 3 hours according to Steam. What an amazing game! The atmosphere was simply unparallelled, LOVE the river level. They really squeezed some great things out of the old Source Engine, everything just looked... pleasant. I also love the fact that I was able to finish it in one session. Great game and I would recommend it to everyone!
Boat level? Really? I thought that was one of the low points, actually. In any case, it's really cool to hear about people enjoying this game.

Ledsen

Yeah, I loved it based on the atmosphere and dialogue. Also I didn't have any trouble with the final boss on my first try, did they make it easier with a patch or what? I just
circled backwards around one of the wooden posts and shot Father-Mother in the legs until she stooped down, then walked forward a bit to make him swing, back up to make him miss and then forward again to smack him in the face. Rinse and repeat, he only hit me a couple of times due to me being sloppy and not circling the post properly.

Glix

Gonna get this on XBL tonight. Is there any reason I should consider Steam? I prefer most games on a console...

epmode

Glix said:
Gonna get this on XBL tonight. Is there any reason I should consider Steam?
The PC version

can run at 2560x1600 and 60 FPS if you have the hardware
is compatible with a comfy couch (ie. you can use an HDTV if you want)
has a better control method, but you can use a pad too
will eventually include the extras from the 360 version, for free

Playing this game now.

Its great. The artstyle and world is incredible. And the gameplay isn't too shabby. I think it would be awesome if they continued on with this series and made it into an action-adventure title ala Zelda, Metroid, Darksiders.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the game had a deteriorating effect on my mind. Like when you watch a strange dream which is unpleasant but not scary. That is why I stopped. I might finish it one day though but it goes in the same stratum as Amnesia and Siren - good but too unpleasant to finish.

Top Bottom