• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Zeno Clash thread. MY CHILDREN.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I too think the artstyle is hit or miss. But it's definitely interesting. That Namco game someone compared it to is plug ugly.

My problem is that in the few videos I watched the combat didn't blow me away. And fp hand to hand should in a game based on it. Also, I worry that it will be super short.

Anyhow, it's on my radar but I may pay the negative nancy tax of $5 and wait and see what the impressions are.

Musashi Wins! said:
My problem is that in the few videos I watched the combat didn't blow me away. And fp hand to hand should in a game based on it. Also, I worry that it will be super short.
Same, but considering the price if it's short and sweet that would be perfectly reasonable.
Musashi Wins! said:
Anyhow, it's on my radar but I may pay the negative nancy tax of $5 and wait and see what the impressions are.
That's what I'm doing.

bdouble

Musashi Wins! said:
Also, I worry that it will be super short.

Whats super short? I'm going to tell you it is short. Hell its a 20 dollar indie game. I guess 4-5 hours isn't bad for 20 bucks when retails games are going for 6-12. Course some of those have multiplayer. Course I'm not going to judge the combat just yet and if it is fun the survival mode might bump the hour count considerably.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826167
* 3) Q: So, how long is the game?

A: The game lasts from 4-5 hours in the single player campaign. It also includes a unlockable Survival Mode with a ranking system to extend replayability.

Druz

Use D2D at your own risk. After 3 installs you have to contact part-time customer support for a new key. At least that's how it was with The Witcher.

Druz said:
Use D2D at your own risk. After 3 installs you have to contact part-time customer support for a new key. At least that's how it was with The Witcher.

That shouldn't matter much, since the developer already said you can activate the key through Steam..

Teknopathetic said:
Just a heads up, Direct2Drive is preselling the game for 10$ this weekend, so if you haven't pre-ordered yet and missed out on the steam 1 day deal, this is a good opportunity. According to the developer, you will receive a key that can be activated with Steam anyhow!

http://www.direct2drive.com/481/7949/product/Buy-Zeno-Clash-Download

http://forums.aceteam.cl/index.php?showtopic=423

Edit: Jesus, I'm later than Tiduz. Epic beaten.

Thanks a bundle for that! :D

Works out even cheaper than the previous Steam 50% sale in the UK (and especially continental Europe) because Direct 2 Drive still uses dollars. Hurrah!

crimsonheadGCN said:
That shouldn't matter much, since the developer already said you can activate the key through Steam..

This is precisely what I did when they had Defense Grid on sale for peanuts. Worked a treat and didn't have to deal with Direct 2 Drive at all.

£7 for a solid 5 hour single player campaign is excellent value as far as I'm concerned, much happier paying that than an extra £20 for a few hours more single player and a multiplayer mode I may never use. At that price it doesn't really matter too much if you don't like the game all that much, you haven't wasted a great deal of time nor money either way.

Edit: it worked out at £6.91 in the end going through Paypal, that's a pretty significant saving over the current Steam price of £11.24.

must comment that the pre launch marketing of this game has been astounding for an indie game, they've really got themselves noticed and it looks like they'll be rewarded be a nice chunk of sales even before the game has launched. Really quite cleverly done, this is how you reach PC gamers with unique content, delivery methods and marketing like this.

New Preview IF YOU DARE (Dated April 18, 2009): http://www.horrorstyle.com/game/zen...le=zeno-clash-pre-release-hands-on-18-04-2009

Horror Style Magazine said:
We played nearly finished build of Zeno Clash and it looks like the future of games could be in the hands of independent studios. While mega-corporations are safely investing in iterations of well established IPs, independent developers have courage and freedom to bring new ideas to the table. And that's the case with Zeno Clash, a punk-fantasy fighting game from the small Chilean studio ACE Team.

[more]

Sweet "Box Art", even though it has never been said to go retail: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843438

Tekno, post that shit!

zbarron

brain_stew said:
must comment that the pre launch marketing of this game has been astounding for an indie game, they've really got themselves noticed and it looks like they'll be rewarded be a nice chunk of sales even before the game has launched. Really quite cleverly done, this is how you reach PC gamers with unique content, delivery methods and marketing like this.
Agreed. The giving away free copies from choosing a favorite character contest was a good move. Also they are incredibly active on the Steam forums and you can ask them just about any question and it seems they will answer you as best as they can. It's so nice to see such a close relationship with the customers.

Erudite

Bleh, curiousity has the better of me. Wasn't interested in the initial 24-Hour Steam sale, but after giving the game a look, and the fact that the D2D purchase can be activated through Steam, I'll bite.

Can anyone confirm or deny: just because the DRM is Steam doesn't mean you get a Steam copy added to your account. I'm sure games can use Steam for DRM verification purposes only, not the entire download package.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
System Requirements

Minimum

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP / Vista / Vista64
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 3.0 GHz
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: At least 3 GB of free space
Video Card: 128 MB, Shader model 2.0, ATI 9600, NVidia 6600 or better
Sound Card: DirectX® 9.0c compatible sound card
DirectX® Version: DirectX® 9.0c, DirectX® 10​

Recommended

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP / Vista / Vista64
Processor: Intel® core 2 duo 2.4GHz
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: At least 3 GB of free space
Video Card: Shader model 3.0, NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better
Sound Card: DirectX® 9.0c compatible sound card
DirectX® Version: DirectX® 9.0c, DirectX® 10
Controller: Supported​

.. and I don't meet the minspecs! CPU's the problem, meh :( Might still kinda work out though, will we get a demo?

Visualante said:
Can anyone confirm or deny: just because the DRM is Steam doesn't mean you get a Steam copy added to your account. I'm sure games can use Steam for DRM verification purposes only, not the entire download package.

The developers themselves said it on their forums.

brain_stew said:
The developers themselves said it on their forums.
I see:
Doesn't matter whether you buy from D2D or Steam... any updates to the product or extra content or patches will work the same.
Which is somewhat ambiguous. Can you link to a specific thread? Why would Steam give away free bandwidth on the base game when D2D is essentially collecting their licensing fee.

"Which is somewhat ambiguous. Can you link to a specific thread? Why would Steam give away free bandwidth on the base game when D2D is essentially collecting their licensing fee."

You're reading the wrong part. "You get a gold master with a key. The key you can use it to activate the game through Steam."

And it's not the first time there's been games that you can buy elsewhere and activate through steam. See: Unreal Tournament 3.

Teknopathetic said:
And it's not the first time there's been games that you can buy elsewhere and activate through steam. See: Unreal Tournament 3.
Yes but that was something Epic probably picked the bill up on to regroup the community and get it a bit more attention.

I'm buying it anyway, but I don't think it's very clear whether it is product activation or merely product updates.

"Yes but that was something Epic probably picked the bill up on to regroup the community and get it a bit more attention."

Actually, I'm pretty sure steam doesn't get any license on any Steam sales anyway. I recall reading an old quote from one of the remnants of Troika that Steam doesn't take a cut off Source Engine licensees. That was like 3 years ago, though.

"I'm buying it anyway, but I don't think it's very clear whether it is product activation or merely product updates."

It really doesn't get much clearer than "The key you can use it to activate the game through Steam" dude.

dLMN8R

wmat said:
.. and I don't meet the minspecs! CPU's the problem, meh :( Might still kinda work out though, will we get a demo?
Really? What are your specs, maybe you're confusing CPU frequency for quality here.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
dLMN8R said:
Really? What are your specs, maybe you're confusing CPU frequency for quality here.
2.21 Ghz. My CPU's been the bottleneck for some time now. I want to upgrade, but I'd pretty much have to get a new mainboard and RAM and gfx card and other junk because I'm not in PCI-E age yet.

dLMN8R

2.21GHz means nothing. A 1.6GHz Core 2 laptop processor will kick the everloving shit out of a 3+ GHz single-core Pentium 4.

What kind of CPU? What kind of CPU? How much ram?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
dLMN8R said:
2.21GHz means nothing. A 1.6GHz Core 2 laptop processor will kick the everloving shit out of a 3+ GHz single-core Pentium 4.

What kind of CPU? What kind of CPU? How much ram?
Single core AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1.5GB RAM, GeForce 7600 GT.

The thing struggles almost constantly when I play The Witcher. Crysis on Medium is barely playable. It's an old machine, I mainly play old / non-demanding games on it when I'm not developing on it.

I'm not saying that this game is out of reach going by the specs at all, it's just below the border if you compare requirements with what I have. So it should run alright if it's scalable, that's why I want a demo to check.

Wag

You'd think with codpieces displayed so prominently in the game there'd be 'crotch punches' or something.

dLMN8R

wmat said:

The thing struggles almost constantly when I play The Witcher. Crysis on Medium is barely playable. It's an old machine, I mainly play old / non-demanding games on it when I'm not developing on it.

I'm not saying that this game is out of reach going by the specs at all, it's just below the border if you compare requirements with what I have. So it should run alright if it's scalable, that's why I want a demo to check.
The Witcher and Crysis are far more complex games (graphics-wise) than any Source engine game. If you can play Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, and/or Left 4 Dead, you'll play Zeno Clash no problem.

dLMN8R said:
The Witcher and Crysis are far more complex games (graphics-wise) than any Source engine game. If you can play Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, and/or Left 4 Dead, you'll play Zeno Clash no problem.

Or so we hope. They did add things into the source engine for this game, who knows whether it's all optimized or not.

wmat said:

Then you'll be fine, that processor is a good bit better than a 3ghz P4. Why don't you OC it? should give you a nice little boost in all games.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
brain_stew said:
Then you'll be fine, that processor is a good bit better than a 3ghz P4. Why don't you OC it? should give you a nice little boost in all games.
Not before I actually have the next hardware purchase all planned out. Or maybe not at all even, I'd like all my hardware to live as long as possible. I usually give away old hardware of mine for free, so it makes sense to me to put an emphasis on lifetime instead of performance.
Thanks for your encouragement. I still want that demo though. Just freaking 2 minutes in an arena or whatever, that's all I need to get a feel for how this game performs on my system. If they really put one out, I wouldn't have a problem not taking advantage of the currently lowered price.

I'll probably buy it in any case, I'm a sucker for crazy games.

M3d10n

TouchMyBox said:
Or so we hope. They did add things into the source engine for this game, who knows whether it's all optimized or not.
Yeah, the only 3rd party Source-based game I played was Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, and that's the only Source game that framedrops (but not that badly) on my rig. Zeno Clash seems to use fairly complex geometry (everything is curved and twisty), so Source engine or not, it still should tax outdated hardware quite a bit.

rezuth

M3d10n said:
Yeah, the only 3rd party Source-based game I played was Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, and that's the only Source game that framedrops (but not that badly) on my rig. Zeno Clash seems to use fairly complex geometry (everything is curved and twisty), so Source engine or not, it still should tax outdated hardware quite a bit.
Source is still pretty good at scaling and that was a launch title. They had outdated tools when they made it and its a wonder its running at all tbh.

RPS first review of Zeno Clash gave the game a lot of love. This has confirmed the awesomeness and now I will ignore all other reviews for the rest of my life in order to justify that this was a good purchase.

RPS Review said:
"SUBJECTIVITY ENGINES GO!"
:lol

But seriously, I can't wait how others will see in this game. Safe bet that they'll give top sub-score to visuals.

Benedict

I've bought the game now on direct2drive.co.uk for £6.95.
How do you get the code to get it running through Steam?

Erudite

Benedict said:
I've bought the game now on direct2drive.co.uk for £6.95.
How do you get the code to get it running through Steam?
They'll e-mail it to you on release (21st) from what I understand.

I'm hoping they do it tomorrow for the pre-load, but I wouldn't be surprised if not.

Benedict

Druz said:

Not according to my receipt, at least that is what I read into it:

Congratulations!

This email is important info for your purchase of Zeno Clash UK. You can download the game as many times as you want. We hope you enjoy it as well as all of the services we at IGN Entertainment provide you.

Volcynika

Bah, I'm at work for another 5 and a half hours, and I still gotta finish downloading The Last Remnant from Steam!

:(

Hope to have both finished by the end of tonight.

Top Bottom