• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can Batman fight Superman: The Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

He can't beat him. He's never beaten him. Both of their rules wouldn't allow one to kill the other.

But if they didn't have those restraints could Batman conceivably kill Superman, using kryptonite or some other method of de-powering him? Yes. Could he do that before Superman eviscerates him? No.

foxdvd

Pretty much every scenario makes the assumption that Superman is an idiot. I honestly think that's the answer, make Superman dumb.

This is so true...Superman is a genius...and people act like Batman would always outsmart him...and while it is true that Superman is overconfident, Batman is outsmarted ALL THE TIME by just about every enemy in his world. Knocked out by powder...captured ect..

Batman is always stated as the worlds greatest detective, but Sherlock he is not.

Sojgat

Fight from Justice League: The New Frontier special #1

New+Frontier+Special+splash.png

New+Frontier+Special+splash2.png

Sorry about the quality, best I could find.

Bit-Bit

But sups won in that last one, also kryptonite makes sups weaker, but no less invulnerable. Batman still wouldn't be able to hurt him with the bullet inside of him.
That's true, but only because Wonder Woman was there to save his ass. Otherwise he was powerless against Batman in that basement.

Abounder

Banned
1. Superman won't kill Earthlings, and Bats can exploit collateral damage

2. The universe has an arms race for alien supersuits so I'm ready for some crazy tech shit

3. Use Lois Lane like she was Baleman's Rachel Dawes

And then we factor in Wonder Woman somewhere

the main thing I wonder is " why? "

Why are Superman and Batman fighting in the first place? Batman is supposed to fight for good, and I would assume he would understand what Superman is all about.

im not a comic book reader so if someone could fill me in
This is exactly what I'm asking myself. Doesnt matter who would win a fight, but why are they fighting at all? It seems just dumb, they both are good guys
Dont see how Wonder Woman and Aquaman will fit in too.

Honest answer is it can't be a fair fight, the onlybway he could win is for all the following to be true.

1. Get the drop on Superman
2. Superman doesn't take the fight seriously
3. Batman has help

If it's a fair fight with equal prep time, no outside help, and they actually plan on killing each other then bat's would be a smear before his brain could process the fact that the fight had started.

Through traps mostly.

Outside of bringing help:

Borrow Palmer's tech and plant a kryptonite shard in superman's brain.

Kryptonite chewing gum seemed effective.

Strike him after he's used his new technique that makes him normal for a few hours.

Invent something like T.O. Morrow (whom he's apparently smarter than, but I find that hard to believe). This didn't kill Black Adam though:

Various forms of kryptonite over the year.

I think he used a red sun "lamp" in Red Son.

His latest fight had him using a mech suit with red sun gauntlets.

+ all the other shit Lex has done.

Dunno why Lex isn't critiqued like Batman. Some people say it's because Lex tries to kill Superman, but Superman isn't trying to kill Batman.

And also having Green Arrow secretly in the fight with a kryptonite arrow. And Robin in the Bat-tank.

Yeah. It's been a long time since I read it, but basically Bats would never win in just a straight up, one on one matchup. He would have to tip the scales as heavily as he could to stand a chance. And even then I wouldn't say he "won", he just gave Bats fans the moment they wanted, with Bats kicking Supes in the face.

munchie64

This is exactly what I'm asking myself. Doesnt matter who would win a fight, but why are they fighting at all? It seems just dumb, they both are good guys
Dont see how Wonder Woman and Aquaman will fit in too.

Why are Superman and Batman fighting in the first place? Batman is supposed to fight for good, and I would assume he would understand what Superman is all about.

There's a movie coming out next year that will give you all the answers.

Dryk

As a fan of Superman I feel that this movie is going to do Supes an injustice (get it). I understand that Supes doesn't want to kill Bats but Supes flying at him at mach 335 (the speed he hits in MoS) would just evaporate Bats.
Considering that's significantly faster than most asteroids the resulting shockwave would evaporate a fair bit more than Batman.

M.Bluth

In the case of the Dark Knight Returns,
Superman is essentially sent by Reagan to kill Bruce.

Mastperf

The truth is Batman can not beat superman...any time they show superman getting hit, or knocked back, it is the writers being lazy. He moves as such speed, and power that even if he does not want to hurt anyone (he always works at 1% power so as to not hurt anyone) he just could not lose to Batman...unless Kryptonite is involved...and to be honest that always gets a BIG yawn out of me. It is just lazy how every situation that overpowers Superman involves Kryptonite...

Put Superman in a situation where even with his powers someone will get hurt...

Put Superman in a situation against other super powered enemies....

Put Superman in a situation against an entire army (sort of like Avengers) where not only is he fighting fatigue but also the safety of those around him...

Just don't put him in a contest against Batman where it boils down to Kryptonite (yawn)

I hope the VS in this movie is more a mental one and not physical...

Agree 100%.

And this movie is hugely influenced by that so I would imagine they will retool Luthor into the presidents role, I defintely think Superman will believe Luthor is working towards the same interests...at first. Bats will have to knock some sense into him.

Metal B

Nah, killing Zod was the reason for the no-killing edict methinks.
Who knows? He killed Zod, because he saw not other way around and also almost destroyed his hometown and Metropolos. This Superman could try to kill a man, if he finds no other way around it. He never said or showed the audience, that he wouldn't ever kill.

JB1981

I don't know why it's hard for hardcore comic book readers to wrap their heads around the idea that lots of peeps in the mainstream who are pretty familiar with both heroes find the idea of them fighting laughable. My friends and family all basically had the same reaction ... "This looks dumb. Superman would crush Batman with his index finger."

I like the world engine theory where the earth is full of Krypton's atmosphere and this may make Superman weaker.

Edit: Also Affleck is a Co-Writer, that will help too.

Yah, this is pretty much my reasoning every time I think of this. Fuck prep time. Without Kryptonite, Batman is meat.

And without powers, Superman is fucked against Batman. I don't get the notion of fair when it comes to a man fighting a god.

I don't get the kryptonite thing though - doesn't that require proximity? Superman could just use his breath from far away to blast Batman, or his laser vision to keep him at bay.

And both are non-lethal superheroes so why are they even bothering?

Just like anything in comics it is totally writer dependent. Spitting kryptonite gum in superman's face causes him to immediately crash, while there's panels of him being caked in kryptonite and still being strong.

I know a lot of people are citing The Dark Knight Returns, but the answer is actually much simpler. I'm going to discuss this in the context of the film.

So, what we know of the film is that Batman is supposed to be much more experienced than Superman is when the film takes place. We can make a reasonable assumption that Bats has been facing his rogues gallery for some time, since this isn't Nolanverse Bats and there's some definitive scifi elements in this universe. While no single member of Bats' Rogues is as powerful as Superman, there are quite a few with some ridiculous powers among them; it also comes as no surprise that Bats knows that he needs a robotic suit to take Superman on, so he either had it in advance or he's done his research on Supes. Even so, I don't know if it's reasonable to expect that Bats has any knowledge of kryptonite even exists; as I recall, there was no such thing in MoS, so it would require some serious reaching to explain how he would manage to get his hands on it.

Taking all that into account, whatever Bats does to possible kill, incapacitate, or otherwise defeat Supes is going to require planning and a certain level of craftiness on his part. That's the way he did it in TDKR, that's the way he's going to do it in this film, because 10/10 times, suit or no suit, Supes wins in a head-on fight. However, Bats has a huge advantage - he knows Supes exists and has been watching him, so he has an element of surprise.

How he proceeds to actually approaching the fight is entirely up to the writers. Even though we see the two of them running at each other head-on in that clip, I doubt it will actually be that straight forward. Bats knows to overestimate how strong Supes actually is and plan accordingly. There are dozens of ways he could pull it off, even though the vast majority of them would require kryptonite in some fashion.

TL;DR: the answer is always prep for a reason, it will never be a head-on fight

From what we know of the film, the reverse may be true in this case. Maybe Luthor is actually a political figure and approaches Bats about killing Superman out of fear. Bats agrees because he's never been exposed to aliens before so he doesn't know what to expect. It's a simple yet reasonable possible explanation.

I don't know why it's hard for hardcore comic book readers to wrap their heads around the idea that lots of peeps in the mainstream who are pretty familiar with both heroes find the idea of them fighting laughable. My friends and family all basically had the same reaction ... "This looks dumb. Superman would crush Batman with his index finger."

Because we're assuming the point of the film is to put them on equal footing to actually make the fight interesting?

Ithil

Basically, the number one ground rule has to be Superman isn't really trying to win, while Batman has the world's worth of stuff on his side.

If Superman was actually trying his best to win, it would be more:

*fight begins"

Batman: "Ok, step one of my prepared pl-" *Superman punches his head into the Sun*

JB1981

Based on what was shown in Man of Steel the only possible thing I can come up with is somehow Lex cleaned up the wreckage from the event in NYC and weaponized some Kryptonian technology. There is a little mechanical creature dude in the first movie that zaps Clark and that seemed to really hurt hiim. Maybe Bats gets a hold of that tech and incorporates it into a suit?

That's true, but only because Wonder Woman was there to save his ass. Otherwise he was powerless against Batman in that basement.

But didn't Batman have help building the room? We have to assume no help in these fights PR else Batman will always win just buy him having a better list of iMessage contacts.

Hey that's me actually.

RiggyRob

snip

Because we're assuming the point of the film is to put them on equal footing to actually make the fight interesting?

Basically, the number one ground rule has to be Superman isn't really trying to win, while Batman has the world's worth of stuff on his side.

If Superman was actually trying his best to win, it would be more:

*fight begins"

Batman: "Ok, step one of my prepared pl-" *Superman punches his head into the Sun*

I like the idea that Superman has to be defending himself, rather than being the aggressor, because otherwise Batman is dead, prepared or not.

the only people who say this and ones who assume Bats is going to fight him head on in a fist fist.

use some damn imagination, he's not going to go out and pick a fight with fucking Superman unless the deck is stacked heavily in his favor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom