• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 1 year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass Rebel

Movie was dreadful in the cinema and it's hard to detach my feelings for it from that first experience. Which is a shame because the Ultimate Cut mitigates some of the issues I have with it. It still manages to be only passable at best but there have been worse CBMs in recent memory like Suicide Squad, Fant4stic and X-Men Apocalypse.

It's a visually appealing movie in many ways but someone on youtube perfectly described Snyder's approach to filmmaking: He is good at capturing moments but terrible at setting up these moments through scenes. They're pretty messes.

28% maybe

Nah..check the bolded:

Movie was dreadful in the cinema and it's hard to detach my feelings for it from that first experience. Which is a shame because the Ultimate Cut mitigates some of the issues I have with it. It still manages to be only passable at best but there have been worse CBMs in recent memory like Suicide Squad, Fant4stic and X-Men Apocalypse.

It's a visually appealing movie in many ways but someone on youtube perfectly described Snyder's approach to filmmaking: He is good at capturing moments but terrible at setting up these moments through scenes. They're pretty messes.

This here is exactly why I think it would have scored higher. The UE is the superior cut, and a good amount of the problems some folks had would be non-existent.

IconGrist

At some point y'all are going to learn to stop arguing with Bleepey, lol. That guy will out-Veelk Veelk when it comes to BvS.

that visual spectacle tho

BfTp55h.gif

Visually, it looks boring just from the colours alone. None of that is appealing!

IconGrist

It's so dark. Can't see shit, Captain!

What can you not see exactly? The scene is dark but everything is perfectly in focus. Diana slides in and bashes Doomsday in his left calf knocking him off balance then Superman rams him into the ground. You can even make out hits because the points of impact light up on Doomsday to show how unstable his body is.

Film itself might be the worst major studio release in recent memory (which says a lot when the tire-fires of Suicide Squad and Rogue One came out later that year and BVS is still inarguably worse than either of them), but yeah, all the GAF threads that spawned out of this Class 5
26d.gif
storm have been laugh riots. Also, Sad Affleck and Laughing Chris Evans is the gift that keeps on giving.

C6Uc2OZUwAEuTMX.jpg

RangerX

Banned
I really thought this was awful. The script and plot weren't thought through. Cavill's Superman is utterly joyless and the less said about Eisenberg the better.

What I found funny after was when some people said anyone who disliked it did'nt "get" the film as if it was a truly profound work of art

Veelk

Banned
At some point y'all are going to learn to stop arguing with Bleepey, lol. That guy will out-Veelk Veelk when it comes to BvS.

Ya know, I've never been able to identify what it is...but fuck your right lol

I can see the parallel regarding persistence in conversation, but I would hope that's where it it ends. I like to think I put out, on the whole, better arguments that atleast make the lengthy reading more worth while.

At the very least, I don't put out a blanket statement that say everyone who disagrees with me just must not be smart enough to get it.

Spaghetti

It kinda blows my mind the Ultimate Cut is 3 hours long. Even if it does make the film less of a fever dream in terms of coherency, it makes the pacing even worse.

The fact that there is a 4 hour cut of the movie in a vault somewhere is insane. How the fuck did Warner Brothers execs sign off on a script that may have ran in excess of 240 pages for a comic book movie?

jviggy43

Nah..check the bolded:

This here is exactly why I think it would have scored higher. The UE is the superior cut, and a good amount of the problems some folks had would be non-existent.
I genuinely am curious to hear about these changes. Having seen both versions I seriously am so lost as to how this keeps getting touted.

LionPride

Banned
I can see the parallel regarding persistence in conversation, but I would hope that's where it it ends. I like to think I put out, on the whole, better arguments that atleast make the lengthy reading more worth while.

At the very least, I don't put out a blanket statement that say everyone who disagrees with me just must not be smart enough to get it.
You 100% make better arguments, it's the persistence with me. Both of yall are pretty tenacious. You won't go as far to say people who dislike a movie just aren't smart enough to get it...

a916

It kinda blows my mind the Ultimate Cut is 3 hours long. Even if it does make the film less of a fever dream in terms of coherency, it makes the pacing even worse.

The fact that there is a 4 hour cut of the movie in a vault somewhere is insane. How the fuck did Warner Brothers execs sign off on a script that may have ran in excess of 240 pages for a comic book movie?

It's the exact opposite actual, the pacing improves.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

It should have been two movies.

We all knew it the moment they revealed Doomsday in the trailer, we knew they stuffed too much in there.

Because they were in such a hurry to get a share of that Avengers bank, they rushed the individual movies, and took a two character mashup that had enough to do (and make believable) already, and mashed Dawn of Justice onto the end of it.

Meanwhile Fantastic Beasts is apparently an entire series born from a pamphlet, and a nice Hobbit novel got exploded into way too much boring film... yet multiple critical DC story arcs were all kind of mashed together into this giant movie that had no chance to succeed the minute Doomsday showed up in a trailer.

It got two-storied. It got Spiderman 3'd. Beautifully shot though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
2 Long 2 Dumb

There are inklings of good ideas in there though. Like Bruce watching Metropolis get torn apart by the fight with Zod. I actually liked that sequence. But it takes its sweet time getting to the titular conflict. And then that isn't even very satisfying. And on top of everything we get a big dumb smash monster shoehorned into the 3rd act.

This is oddly true of the Watchmen ultimate cut, too-- turns into more of a series of episodes than and crash-through the story.

That said, I was one of the people who understood the plot and Luthor's motivations and everything even before the extended cut. But I guess it made more sense for a lot of people.

LosDaddie

Banned

A 3hr version isn't so concerning to me. I find the fact that there's even an R rated cut of BvS to be a major red flag. It's like WB doesn't understand the material, and worse, the audience in the seats.

In my eyes, the R rated Ultimate Edition is proof that WB looked at what Marvel is doing and purposely went the opposite direction.

LionPride

Banned
In Batman v Superman they incorporated, TDKR, Injustice/Apokolips, and the Death of Superman.

The last two is where the problem comes from.

The Injustice Knightmare, could have worked, as a post credits scene showing that even though Bruce trusts Clark, he knows there is an alien threat coming and is terrified of Clark turning on them for some reason. The combo of the Injustice storyline plus Apokolips led to some funky shit that broke up the movie in a strange manner.

The Death, was simply not earned. That's a whole movie plotline, not the last 30 of a 3 hour movie.

Eidan

A 3hr version isn't so concerning to me. I find the fact that there's even an R rated cut of BvS to be a major red flag. It's like WB doesn't understand the material, and worse, the audience in the seats.

In my eyes, the R rated Ultimate Edition is proof that WB looked at what Marvel is doing and purposely went the opposite direction.

Yeah. I felt similarly when Battle of the Five Armies' Extended Edition got an R rating. When you somehow get an R rating for a Hobbit adaptation, you've clearly lost your way.

Sölf

I now want to see this. Reminds me of Love Exposure, which already runs for nearly 4 hours, yet originally it was 6 hours long.

jviggy43

Just wondering did anyone ever do a flowchart for Zemo? I'd love to see logic behind actions compared to Lex?

I care far less about the convoluted plot than I do the motivation behind each of them, where zemo's was clearly established, Lex needs a flow chart based upon a ton of assumptions to get anywhere close to a coherent outline of why his actions supported his lack of motivation, which compounds the problems people had with the convoluted plot

Blader

Assuming Superman had killed Batman (or vice versa), and then Doomsday killed off the survivor of their fight... then what? What does Lex do with Doomsday?

Spaghetti

Man, c'mon. I saw both cuts. It's glacial in both cases, the wheels just spin and spin.

It's an incredibly inefficient film. It baffles me how a theatrical cut that clocks in at two and a half hours is as incoherent as it is, and how the extra half hour of the ultimate cut only just about help it make sense at the expense of making it an even longer slog.

It should have been two movies.

We all knew it the moment they revealed Doomsday in the trailer, we knew they stuffed too much in there.

Because they were in such a hurry to get a share of that Avengers bank, they rushed the individual movies, and took a two character mashup that had enough to do (and make believable) already, and mashed Dawn of Justice onto the end of it.

Meanwhile Fantastic Beasts is apparently an entire series born from a pamphlet, and a nice Hobbit novel got exploded into way too much boring film... yet multiple critical DC story arcs were all kind of mashed together into this giant movie that had no chance to succeed the minute Doomsday showed up in a trailer.

It got two-storied. It got Spiderman 3'd. Beautifully shot though.
Even splitting it into two films wouldn't have worked, IMO. There's like a fundamental misunderstanding of the amount of work to make these characters and scenarios believable and endearing that still would be absent if the film was split.

But yeah, all the same it's overstuffed. I can't believe anybody at WB took a look at the sheer size of the script and went "whoah buddy, slow your roll".

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, the R-rated cut isn't explicitly more violent or raunchy than the theatrical bar some CGI blood. There's still a lot of unambiguous killing/maiming and Amy Adams naked in a tub in the theatrical cut, and that still made a 12 rating/PG-13.

Spaghetti

Sölf;232499345 said:
I now want to see this. Reminds me of Love Exposure, which already runs for nearly 4 hours, yet originally it was 6 hours long.
Admittedly, I'd like to see that cut someday too out of morbid curiosity.

A cut of Batman v Superman that is as long as the director's cut of Once Upon a Time in America. Jesus Christ.

Ahasverus

It was rated R for Ass. There was not any overviolence in the Ultimate Cut.

Ninjimbo

I care far less about the convoluted plot than I do the motivation behind each of them, where zemo's was clearly established, Lex needs a flow chart based upon a ton of assumptions to get anywhere close to a coherent outline of why his actions supported his lack of motivation, which compounds the problems people had with the convoluted plot
What's so hard to understand about Lex's motivations? He explains it all on the helipad and he explains it even more in the Doomsday birth sequence. He hates everything about Superman so he tries to destroy his credibility, his image and his entire being.

I don't get what's so confusing about Lex. He's a millennial going through an existential crisis because God just so happens to be real.

jviggy43

What's so hard to understand about Lex's motivations? He explains it all on the helipad and he explains it even more in the Doomsday birth sequence. He hates everything about Superman so he tries to destroy his credibility, his image and his entire being.

I don't get what's so confusing about Lex. He's a millennial going through an existential crisis because God just so happens to be real.

Explain how he reconciles his view of power not being good with why he hates superman along with his very own position of power. Its contradictory. He hates superman for being all powerful but not good, yet he himself is powerful and very obviously not good,

At no point in your post did you explain why he hates superman and wants this. I understand his philosophy, but it makes no sense as to why he would hate superman while not also realizing how contradictory that is to his own positioning

rac

Banned

sounds like a great superman movie

Ninjimbo

Explain how he reconciles his view of power not being good with why he hates superman along with his very own position of power. Its contradictory. He hates superman for being all powerful but not good, yet he himself is powerful and very obviously not good,

At no point in your post did you explain why he hates superman and wants this. I understand his philosophy, but it makes no sense as to why he would hate superman while not also realizing how contradictory that is to his own positioning
I'm not sure what you're asking to be honest.

He wants it because Superman drives him mad? Lex is a psychopath by the end of the movie. He's consumed by his hatred and his own delusions. Trying to understand his rationale by analyzing his actions as if he was acting logically...I don't understand what one can gain from it. I don't think Lex cares about being a hypocrite.

jviggy43

I'm not sure what you're asking to be honest.

He wants it because Superman drives him mad? Lex is a psychopath by the end of the movie. He's consumed by his hatred and his own delusions. Trying to understand his rationale by analyzing his actions as if he was acting logically...I don't understand what one can gain from it. I don't think Lex cares about being a hypocrite.

Perhaps and if thats the case ok but then we shouldn't pretend he actually has motivation. If it boils down to "well hes just insane" then its entirely fair to say he had no real motivation as to why he hates superman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom