• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

There was a second run of Blast Off that fixed it, yes. If your Blast Off has clicking hip joints and little tabs on the chest to pull the landing gear out, you have a fixed one. If your Blast Off makes no clicking sound when you move the legs at the hips and has smooth panels on the chest landing gear pieces, you have a defective one.

If you do need to replace the torso, I suggest this video as a visual aid.

Cool yea I got a fixed Blast Off then.

Aw darn. Just learned that the retailer that I preordered Apollyon from went out of business and might not give me a refund. And paypal might not either, since they only cover 180 days and I preordered it back on October 30 2014.

Life just sucks. I think I'm gonna stick to ordering stuff from BigBadToyStore from now on.

Was is Aces?

Would be nice to see a collected hardcover omnibus release of the old Marvel TF series by IDW, like they have been doing for the original GI Joe comics now.

bryanee

Whats a good UK based website to buy Transformers of all kinds from? I don't fancy importing and being hit with customs.

sol_bad

So I walked into a few local toy shops in the Philippines and I was literally blasted with 30,000 different types of toys.
Exaggeration a bit but there were Age of Extinction, Robots in Disguise, Generations, Platinum Edition and Combiner Wars toys amongst otheres! It wasn't like this in the late 80's, the brand has really grown.

I'm reading through TFW2005's 30 Year Retrospective and using the Transfomers Wiki to look at all the toys released each year. I'll eventually get up to 2014 but right now I have no idea what is what in the current range and what is worth buying.
I just know I'm interested in the Masterpiece range at this moment.

yami4ct

So I walked into a few local toy shops in the Philippines and I was literally blasted with 30,000 different types of toys.
Exaggeration a bit but there were Age of Extinction, Robots in Disguise, Generations, Platinum Edition and Combiner Wars toys amongst otheres! It wasn't like this in the late 80's, the brand has really grown.

I'm reading through TFW2005's 30 Year Retrospective and using the Transfomers Wiki to look at all the toys released each year. I'll eventually get up to 2014 but right now I have no idea what is what in the current range and what is worth buying.

I mean, how far back are you wanting to go? In general, some of the AOE stuff (most of the collector's focused Dlxs, and Voyagers) are decent, but nothing really amazing. If you like the movie aesthetic, I would grab the Dinobots and maybe Voyager Hound and Recon Optimus. Generations is variable, but mostly excellent. Anything after the awful FOC line in 2010 is mostly good. Especially buy an Arcee if you can find her because her distribution was poor. Combiner Wars (the most recent line) is freaking amazing. Buy all of Superion, Menasor and Defensor. You might have to mess around and create your own transformations to get a look you like, but those figures are all worth owning. Platinum Edition stuff has been mostly misses. I haven't seen anything worth owning in that line since the Enegeron Omega Supereme redo. Packaging is very nice on those, though. RID, again, is hit and miss. I would stick purely to the Deluxe (Warrior?) class stuff in that line and only buy it if you really like the look of the character.

Masterpiece, as you know, is amazing. I'd suggest buying everything in that line that you can as prices will only go up on those guys.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The Platinum Coneheads set is worth it mainly due to Ramjet never getting a proper reissue ever until now.

Would be nice to see a collected hardcover omnibus release of the old Marvel TF series by IDW, like they have been doing for the original GI Joe comics now.

The softcovers are more than worth the money.

Why don't you take pics of everything, post them here and we'll tell you if there's any hidden gem there? I'm personally quite disappointed from the Masterpiece line in general and I'm skipping them in favor of some of the better figures in the Classics / Universe / Combiner Wars line.

Also if you find a particularly good shop in Manila be sure to post it, as I have a very good Filipino friend that might find the info useful.

aparisi2274

So I picked up the Kotobukiya D Style Convoy model kit and I did pretty good with exception of one glaring mistake, right on his damn mouth plate... I SUCK!!!!!

18437442819_6b32370839_b.jpg

I have to say it was pretty simple following the instructions, and if it wasn't for that one fuck up, I would be very pleased with my work.

Oh well, I will chalk it up to battle damage from Megatron.... who I will be ordering next from Kotobukiya.

So I picked up the Kotobukiya D Style Convoy model kit and I did pretty good with exception of one glaring mistake, right on his damn mouth plate... I SUCK!!!!!

18437442819_6b32370839_b.jpg

I have to say it was pretty simple following the instructions, and if it wasn't for that one fuck up, I would be very pleased with my work.

Oh well, I will chalk it up to battle damage from Megatron.... who I will be ordering next from Kotobukiya.

That could be fixed with some putty (or even glue), sandpaper and paint. I would fix it for you if you lived in Madrid. :)

jpatez34

Neo Member
Whats a good UK based website to buy Transformers of all kinds from? I don't fancy importing and being hit with customs.

TFS-Express or Kapow Toys are good ones.

Big Bad Toy Store is a US based site but I ordered Fierce Attack and two other Warbotron figures from them, chose FedEx as postage and did not get hit with customs charges!

I planning to order Masterpiece Grimlock and Masterpiece Soundwave from them soon.

bryanee

TFS-Express or Kapow Toys are good ones.

Big Bad Toy Store is a US based site but I ordered Fierce Attack and two other Warbotron figures from them, chose FedEx as postage and did not get hit with customs charges!

I planning to order Masterpiece Grimlock and Masterpiece Soundwave from them soon.

Thank you dude.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I can make a hat, a brooch, a pterodactyl...

Elita One as an evil monster who prowls the multidimensional spaceways killing Cybertronians for throne add-ons? I can get on board with that.

Mike M

Nick N
Man, that shot of Obsidian is hard to read. Even knowing exactly what his head looks like, it's hard to tell which way he's facing. Also, they seem to have forgotten that BW/BM characters were reeeeally small next to G1 era (though I guess they could just say his pre-Beast Machines appearance was exactly the same, only larger.).

Still, evil Elita One teamed up with Beast Machine characters? Is that the same Velocitron from TF:Cybertron? BW characters concurrent with all of them? WTF is going on here?

I went ahead with my BBTS order of the Protectobots + Cyclonus + Powerglide. I was considering adding Ultra Magnus or Star Saber (or Scoop or Nightbeat since they were on clearance), but really, my Transformers collecting is winding down and I'm only really getting favourites at this point. There's a limited space for general characters and one for Masterpieces now.

Basically, I'm getting:

* Anything with Smokescreen and by extension his Rock'n Roll Out mates (Tracks, Hoist, Skids and Grapple). I guess I could theoretically put Bumblebee in there but the MP is kind of meh
* Blaster and the related characters (Perceptor, Cosmos etc)
* Protectobots
* An official Predaking or Shockwave that can replace the G1 originals
* possibly an MP Jazz

So for now there's only Tracks on the horizon for me.

Bloodember

iT WAS From the recent Windblade Vol. 2 #3 issue (collected in Transformers: Combiner Wars TPB)
Elita being the Anti-Prime would be interesting :3

Ah, ok. Haven't got it yet, my comics don't get here till the end of each month. I get all Transformers comics.

Savitar

GUYS

LOOK

0MPPwK5.jpg

630x.jpg

Back in 2014, Activision released the so-so Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark for Xbox 360 and Xbox One and, since then, has been relatively quiet about the direction that the videogame versions of the franchise would be headed.

However, a source has revealed exclusively to Pure Xbox that the company is set to announce a cel-shaded brawler by the name of Transformers: Devastation at E3.

We've nabbed a handful of screenshots for you to check out but at the moment, all we know is that the game will definitely be coming to Xbox 360. We're going to assume that an Xbox One release is on the cards also, and have reason to believe that it'll launch this year, but outside of the images themselves, there's very little else to go on.

My nerdgasm is ultimate.

GUYS

LOOK

My nerdgasm is ultimate.

Wat.
Is this real life?
For self-preservation reasons, I'm going to assume this is either fake or will end up being a terrible game. After Tataki's soul-crushingly disappointment, I refuse to let my hopes up for a decent G1 TF game until I am actually playing it.

Edit: lots more pics at the article, go take a look guys. Also this gem:

We'd imagine that we'll see more of Transformers: Devastation at E3, complete with release details. Note that at this time, there's absolutely no information as to who the developer of the game is. Is it outside of the realms of possibility that this is one of Platinum's secret projects? After all, they did just work with Activision on The Legend of Korra, which features some pretty similar-looking visuals, background-wise...

On one hand, a Platinum-made Transformers game sounds like the second thing I would wish for if I had a genie lamp (after, you know, infinite wishes). On the other, that pretty much applied to Korra too but the game's shoestring budget was painfully apparent... and that might apply here too. I don't know what to think anymore.

Tizoc

So I'm catching up on RiD 2015 show and...
Skunkticons?
Seriously? Look I get the animal motif for the villains but that's just jumping the shark...

Tizoc

The "Ugh, Transformers" responses in the thread on Gaming side hurt my soul. I know not everyone really gives a shit about the franchise, but how can anyone actively hate it? : (

Such people have no Spark, they ain't go the Touch.

yami4ct

The "Ugh, Transformers" responses in the thread on Gaming side hurt my soul. I know not everyone really gives a shit about the franchise, but how can anyone actively hate it? : (

I also don't like the fact that everyone's calling the cell-shaded art-style "G1-style". G1 looked nothing like that, apart from the robot designs. Not saying the art doesn't look amazing (it looks better than the original cartoon, that's for sure), but it doesn't really have the cartoon's art style at all. Even the Robots feel just G1-inspired. It's kind of a mix of G1, IDW and Classics. All of them are, of course G1 inspired, but with their own twists on it.

Really excited for this, especially now knowing it's a full priced thing. FoC and WFC were great, so we know Activision won't shit up a game if they don't have to make a movie release. Platinum is a great dev as well. Have high hopes for this. I'm really interested to see it in motion.

Ponn

Banned

Agreed. I'm going to have to hide out in here to share my hype. All I could think of is what the hell is wrong with all of you people. That pic of Optimus laying the smack down on Devastator is fantastic. And if they are showing that off I can only imagine they got some bigger badder stuff tucked away like maybe Trypticon and Metroplex.

I dunno. It seems alright. The cel shading isn't atrocious. And the character designs are straight G1, which is good. But I have my doubts that it'll be as good as WFC. That was such a great game in its own right and just a pure love letter to the fans.

Mike M

Nick N
I also don't like the fact that everyone's calling the cell-shaded art-style "G1-style". G1 looked nothing like that, apart from the robot designs. Not saying the art doesn't look amazing (it looks better than the original cartoon, that's for sure), but it doesn't really have the cartoon's art style at all. Even the Robots feel just G1-inspired. It's kind of a mix of G1, IDW and Classics. All of them are, of course G1 inspired, but with their own twists on it.

Really excited for this, especially now knowing it's a full priced thing. FoC and WFC were great, so we know Activision won't shit up a game if they don't have to make a movie release. Platinum is a great dev as well. Have high hopes for this. I'm really interested to see it in motion.

People calling it "G1 style" is like people thinking the G1 Optimus toy was made almost entirely out of die-cast metal, or seeing a loose MP edition and thinking that was the same toy they had as a kid.

yami4ct

People calling it "G1 style" is like people thinking the G1 Optimus toy was made almost entirely out of die-cast metal, or seeing a loose MP edition and thinking that was the same toy they had as a kid.

I love the G1 cartoon as much as the next fan, but people really need to look back and see it for what it is (particularly in the art department).

Show looked super low budget and kind of like shit most of the time. Characters were frequently off model, there was no real sense of scale and they couldn't even keep colors consistent half the time.

Ehh, cmon now. How far are we willing to split hairs here? What is the level of granularity that you're expecting?

Put up a few categories like G1 style, Michael Bay style, TF Prime style, Beast Wars style, WFC style, etc, and ask people. They'll say it looks like G1 style. And that's pretty much right.

yami4ct

Ehh, cmon now. How far are we willing to split hairs here? What is the level of granularity that you're expecting?

Put up a few categories like G1 style, Michael Bay style, TF Prime style, Beast Wars style, WFC style, etc, and ask people. They'll say it looks like G1 style. And that's pretty much right.

The robots are, yes, but the art is not. I've seen quite a few posts remark that the art is "G1-style" when it's exceptionally far from it. You would never want a game that was in that style of art, anyway.

The robots are, yes, but the art is not. I've seen quite a few posts remark that the art is "G1-style" when it's exceptionally far from it. You would never want a game that was in that style of art,a anyway.

Well, I think they mean that the character designs are G1. You can infer that.

Nobody cares what the background city looks like.

Tizoc

Agreed. I'm going to have to hide out in here to share my hype. All I could think of is what the hell is wrong with all of you people. That pic of Optimus laying the smack down on Devastator is fantastic. And if they are showing that off I can only imagine they got some bigger badder stuff tucked away like maybe Trypticon and Metroplex.

Dude/Sistah
Dude/Sistah
You just got out from watching the 80s Transformers movie
Your future self approaches younger self and you tell them
YOU TELL THEM
There will be a Transformers VIDEO GAME and in it OPTIMUS PRIME CAN PUNCH DEVESTATOR

If that won't make your younger self lose their shit in hype and excitement, I dunno what would.

I love the G1 cartoon as much as the next fan, but people really need to look back and see it for what it is (particularly in the art department).

Show looked super low budget and kind of like shit most of the time. Characters were frequently off model, there was no real sense of scale and they couldn't even keep colors consistent half the time.

It was a cartoon made thirty years ago to sell toys to little children. I cordially invite you to watch some Masters of the Universe cartoon to see what its competition was like. :D

Still, denying that it's visually inspired directly by G1 (not just the cartoon, comics as well) is a bit ridiculous. No shit it's going to look much better as a videogame made in 2015.

yami4ct

Well, I think they mean that the character designs are G1. You can infer that.

Nobody cares what the background city looks like.

It's not about just the backgrounds, the colors used and the way those similar character designs are rendered is completely different. It's a similar base design in a whole new art-style. I adore it and it's clearly trying to evoke a cartoonish feel, but it doesn't look G1 apart from the robot designs used. Even those aren't completely G1. Devastator in particular is a much more modern, updated and more imposing take on the character.

It was a cartoon made thirty years ago to sell toys to little children. I cordially invite you to watch some Masters of the Universe cartoon to see what its competition was like. :D

Still, denying that it's visually inspired directly by G1 (not just the cartoon, comics as well) is a bit ridiculous. No shit it's going to look much better as a videogame made in 2015.

The robots are definitely G1-inspired, but I still argue the art-style itself is not. It's trying to pull out a cartoonish look, but it's distinctly very different form the 80's animation style. It's taking G1 style designs and interpreting them in a new, more modern to style, similar to what IDW does.

It's not about just the backgrounds, the colors used and the way those similar character designs are rendered is completely different. It's a similar base design in a whole new art-style. I adore it and it's clearly trying to evoke a cartoonish feel, but it doesn't look G1 apart from the robot designs used. Even those aren't completely G1. Devastator in particular is a much more modern, updated and more imposing take on the character.

Yeah, it's got a bit of a Dreamwave look. But that was meant to be an update for G1 Dev. So I mean... it's all going back to G1.

Nobody's gonna mistake this guy for Michael Bay's Devastator.

Top Bottom