• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Mike M

Nick N
Honestly, I'm not sure how interested I am in MP figures beyond G1. The appeal of the MP stuff for me has been to finally have toys that reflected their animation models with the articulation we've come to expect in modern toys. Everything BW and beyond was mostly fairly high fidelity (Well, except Beast Machines...) to how they appeared on the show with satisfactory detail and articulation.

That said, the thought of an MP God Fire Convoy...
original

Holy fuck would it be a top heavy monstrosity

dan2026

I didn't read the IDW comics, because I was tired of the bullshit and thought this was a fine "jumping off" point, which is something I regret because I clearly backed the wrong horse.
Wow did you ever.
In my opinion the IDW stories are the best Transformers has ever been.

But its not too late, you can still jump in.

yami4ct

BotCon reveals were a bit light, but that's the way of things now with the SDCC focus. We did get a couple surprises. Voyager SkyLynx looks really cool and Bruticus looks amazing. The others were mostly just deluxe autobot repaints of the various cars and most of those were already known.

Drayco21

BotCon reveals were a bit light, but that's the way of things now with the SDCC focus. We did get a couple surprises. Voyager SkyLynx looks really cool and Bruticus looks amazing. The others were mostly just deluxe autobot repaints of the various cars and most of those were already known.

Yeah, those SkyLinx limbs looked pretty mediocre; I'm psyched about the new Bruticus though, goddamn.

Really hoping 2016 heralds more Decepticons- it's weird that there's so many more Autobot combiners.

yami4ct

Yeah, those SkyLinx limbs looked pretty mediocre; I'm psyched about the new Bruticus though, goddamn.

Really hoping 2016 heralds more Decepticons- it's weird that there's so many more Autobot combiners.

The autobot car repaints are mostly disappointing. Most of the figures chosen have better molds already. Wheeljack, Hound, Mirage, Trailebreaker and Sunstreaker are all perfectly fine as is. Even though the Universe Ironhide mold is terrible, it still captures the character better than the Offroad mold. It's a big pass for me there.

The best part of Bruticus is the new Brawl. It looks so good. It's the best I think he could possibly look at a deluxe scale. I can't wait to get it. I'm hoping we get more decepticons as well, but it seems we'll at least be getting Soundwave. We already have Blaster coming and we saw legends Buzzsaw at the show. I doubt they'd not put out a Soundwave to go with them.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The most impressive thing about Sky Lynx is that he's a damn Silverbolt retool. I hope whoever figured that one out gets a raise.

Drayco21

The most impressive thing about Sky Lynx is that he's a damn Silverbolt retool. I hope whoever figured that one out gets a raise.

Really? Jeez; I was looking at him with SIlverbolt right next to me, and I never would have guessed; that's crazy. I may not care about his combiner limbs, but SkyLynx himself is such a stupid fun looking Transformer, I can't not get him.

Some more pics here.

Holy crap. I've been behind on Combiner Wars news and didn't have a clue we were getting originally non-combinable characters as combiner limbs (I only knew about Optimus and Cyclonus). Now there's a much better reason to pick up Optimus! I mean, combining him with Wheeljack, Mirage, Prowl and Hound? Crazy stuff!

I want to see more of Sky Lynx. I'm assuming it can separate like the original? It seems to have a fully formed lynx body below the plane, the only thing missing seems the head, and the combined form actually uses a lynx head, so...

Having Shockwave as a gun for the combiners is at the same time so good an idea and so embarrassingly obvious in hindsight. :D

Brawl seemed great too, it's a new mold, right? Warpath incoming in 3, 2, 1...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I want to see more of Sky Lynx. I'm assuming it can separate like the original? It seems to have a fully formed lynx body below the plane, the only thing missing seems the head, and the combined form actually uses a lynx head, so...

Pretty sure it doesn't separate, and the lynx head in combined mode is just a nod to the old toy's submode. Although if the lynx head rotates and can look up, you could position the combined mode on all fours and make a combiner superlynx.

yami4ct

Pretty sure it doesn't separate, and the lynx head in combined mode is just a nod to the old toy's submode. Although if the lynx head rotates and can look up, you could position the combined mode on all fours and make a combiner superlynx.

Yeah, I've been staring at it trying to figure out if it separates or not. I can't find any convincing evidence either way. I think probably not, because they would've shown it if it was, but they could hold it for a surprise feature. Maybe we'll get confirmation at the event from people asking staff or at ComiCon.

The running change color idea for Onslaught is brilliant. I can't wait to see his alternate grey color. I hope that both versions are easy to find.

Ponn

Banned
Bruticus looks awesome. One thing just keeps bugging me about all these combiners though, its that damn pointer finger and finger tips touching. It looks like they are all going to a rock concert or something.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Bruticus looks awesome. One thing just keeps bugging me about all these combiners though, its that damn pointer finger and finger tips touching. It looks like they are all going to a rock concert or something.

Those are guns. All four fingers are part of a solid piece that folds out for "hand" mode while the "thumb" folds inward. The handfeet aren't that great a solution to the parts problem, but it doesn't look quite as weird in person. Photos do it no favors.

Ponn

Banned
Those are guns. All four fingers are part of a solid piece that folds out for "hand" mode while the "thumb" folds inward. The handfeet aren't that great a solution to the parts problem, but it doesn't look quite as weird in person. Photos do it no favors.

Those are guns? Yea that's weird for them all to have it. Still better than what we had in the 80's so can't complain that much. Just not sure I want to jump back into the horror of trying to collect all these. Maybe for Predaking.

Yea the gun hand/feet are odd, they are kinda ok for hands, but as feet they look awful on all the CW gestalts.

Bought the perfect effect combiner hands/feet set to upgrade with, so much better looking.

sol_bad

The autobot car repaints are mostly disappointing. Most of the figures chosen have better molds already. Wheeljack, Hound, Mirage, Trailebreaker and Sunstreaker are all perfectly fine as is. Even though the Universe Ironhide mold is terrible, it still captures the character better than the Offroad mold. It's a big pass for me there

Do you know if the older molds are still quite easy to get?

yami4ct

Do you know if the older molds are still quite easy to get?

Depends on the mold. I haven't checked lately. Mirage got a couple different issues in Japan, but everything in the original Classics lines have gotten pretty rare. I have to imagine the early Universe 2.0 stuff like Sunstreaker and Sideswipe are tricky. Prowl has gotten a couple issues, but is still pretty old so it might be a bit tricky. Smokescreen is sure to be hard just due to age. Wheeljack got such good distribution and was not that long ago, so I'm sure you can find him. Trailbreaker is super recent so I'm sure you can find him.

Wow. I never in a hundred years would have guessed we'd get a new Sky Lynx. I think I'll stay happy with my original (who is bigger and so sleek), but that's a great one. I'm also slightly interested in Bruticus but at that point I'd have to sell off my G1 to make place and I'm not sure I want to do that.

Also, for the 258768th time, print a 38 on a sportscar and hey, Smokescreen repaint!

NEO0MJ

I'm tempted by that Sky Lynx, if only for how ridiculous it is that we're getting a new one.

And I knew there was something familiar about his body.

Ovek

7Member7
They sure do love Alpha Bravo don't they. I'm gonna hazard a guess and say Takara will make a real Blast Off and not this Hasbro repaint imposter.

Sky Lynx is cool though.

Tizoc

Hound, Wheeljack, Smokescreen and Trailbreaker.

All of which are Stunticon or Combaticon repaints with new heads, and none of which are very good, so meh.

But a new Sky Lynx is kinda neat.

That's an odd combo.

...but that new Sky Lynx is awesome though.

Wasn't he originally 2 creatures that made up the shuttle? What was the name of the other Autobot he was with?

EDIT: Better quality image of the new Sky Lynx

They sure do love Alpha Bravo don't they. I'm gonna hazard a guess and say Takara will make a real Blast Off and not this Hasbro repaint imposter.

Blast Off is a remold of Firefly, isn't it?. If you mean this, I think it's a fan-made Photoshop.

Which actually looked more like Blast Off than the official CW Blast Off to me, at least in vehicle mode...

Ovek

7Member7
Blast Off is a remold of Firefly, isn't it?. If you mean this, I think it's a fan-made Photoshop.

Which actually looked more like Blast Off than the official CW Blast Off to me, at least in vehicle mode...

Yeah was thinking of Vortex at the time and then my brain jumped straight to Blast Off because of how cheap it is.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
That's actually blast off and not a new bot taking his place like with the other combiners?

Sky Reign is awful, ugh

The Combaticons have all their original members, although Blast Off is a jet fighter now. And Shockwave is being included as part of the Bruticus combination as his gun, since Onslaught's guns have to go on Bruticus' back.

I'm sure having a Deluxe Groove and Shuttle Blast Off in one form or another will be released similar to Quickslinger and Brake Neck next year.

I got my Defensor in! Very happy with him overall, he looks great. It's almost a shame to hide away a great figure like Hot Spot in there, but the combined form is massive and pretty well proportioned. If we get a proper Groove, he'll be perfect.

protectobots_defensor01.jpg

sol_bad

So at my local Toys R Us I found a Hasbro Sunstorm for 5000php.
I'm from Australia so I convert to Australian dollars, it works out to be about $150AUD.

I also found some Thrilling 30 Generations toys. The ones I found were Tankor, Rattrap, Scoop, Nightbeat, Dreadwing, Waspinator and Legends Windcharger.
They also add up to about $150AUD.

I'm tempted to get the Sunstorm but I do like the look of the Tara Tomy version better. Robotkingdom has the Tara Tomy version for $180USD, is that expensive?

Finally I also saw that Robotkingdom has some 3 packs of the older Transformers Henkei! range. They are:-
Pack 1:- Ironhide, Hound, Mirage
Pack 2:- Galvatron, Octane, Astrotrain
Pack 3:- Kup, Ratchet, Perceptor

This is the first time I have decided to buy Transformers in over 25 years. What does NeoGAF think I should start with?
Not sure if I was Sunstorm to be my first Masterpiece. Not sure if I should get the Thrilling 30 toys from Toys R Us or the old Henkei toys from Robotkingdom.

Please help me.

^ Sunstorm should not be your first MP figure imo,grab MP10 Optimus Prime first! Personally Id pass on either Sunstorm and go for Starscream or Skywarp instead if you want a seeker mold.

So at my local Toys R Us I found a Hasbro Sunstorm for 5000php.
I'm from Australia so I convert to Australian dollars, it works out to be about $150AUD.

I also found some Thrilling 30 Generations toys. The ones I found were Tankor, Rattrap, Scoop, Nightbeat, Dreadwing, Waspinator and Legends Windcharger.
They also add up to about $150AUD.

I'm tempted to get the Sunstorm but I do like the look of the Tara Tomy version better. Robotkingdom has the Tara Tomy version for $180USD, is that expensive?

Finally I also saw that Robotkingdom has some 3 packs of the older Transformers Henkei! range. They are:-
Pack 1:- Ironhide, Hound, Mirage
Pack 2:- Galvatron, Octane, Astrotrain
Pack 3:- Kup, Ratchet, Perceptor

This is the first time I have decided to buy Transformers in over 25 years. What does NeoGAF think I should start with?
Not sure if I was Sunstorm to be my first Masterpiece. Not sure if I should get the Thrilling 30 toys from Toys R Us or the old Henkei toys from Robotkingdom.

Please help me.

Sunstorm is meh, there are plenty of cooler Masterpieces around. I wouldn't go for any of those Generations figures, possibly Rattrap or Waspinator if you liked Beast Wars.

The Henkei figures are fairly good but with some issues. Hound and Mirage are great, Ironhide is so-so. Galvatron and Octane are rather bad, Astrotrain is okay (but a very old and simple mold nowadays). Kup and Perceptor are quite cool and Ratchet is basically the same as Ironhide.

If you're going with Robotkingdom or any online retailer, you have access to (possibly) Masterpiece Optimus Prime, Soundwave, Prowl, Bumblebee, Wheeljack and Ultra Magnus, and maybe more. Those are all fantastic figures if you like the characters. I rarely buy standard figures anymore unless it's characters that simply will never get a Masterpiece.

sol_bad

^ Sunstorm should not be your first MP figure imo,grab MP10 Optimus Prime first! Personally Id pass on either Sunstorm and go for Starscream or Skywarp instead if you want a seeker mold.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking Sunstorm was a silly first Masterpiece to get and you guys luckily confirmed it.

I used to have a lot of G1 toys and 1 day they all vanished, my mum said someone must have stolen them as they were in a big bag ..... under the house. Using the Transformers wiki I went through all the G1 characters to see what modernized versions there were. To my surprise the majority of them have new toys and I'd like to try and collect as many as I could.
Are there any rumors of new Astrotrain or Galvatron toys?

As for the Generations line I looked through them all and there are many deluxes I'd like even if they aren't G1 related.

I was thinking of just getting Masterpiece toys but there are many good standard molds that may not see a Masterpiece version like Jetfire, Voyager Sky Lynx and the combiners in general.

Haven't posted here in a while, but I got these two guys delivered today:

God Ginrai and KO Minerva.

Actually got the reprolabels sticker sheet for Minerva as well, but I'm gonna paint her body white then apply the stickers.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking Sunstorm was a silly first Masterpiece to get and you guys luckily confirmed it.

I used to have a lot of G1 toys and 1 day they all vanished, my mum said someone must have stolen them as they were in a big bag ..... under the house. Using the Transformers wiki I went through all the G1 characters to see what modernized versions there were. To my surprise the majority of them have new toys and I'd like to try and collect as many as I could.

As for the Generations line I looked through them all and there are many deluxes I'd like even if they aren't G1 related.

I was thinking of just getting Masterpiece toys but there are many good standard molds that may not see a Masterpiece version like Jetfire, Voyager Sky Lynx and the combiners in general.

Well, there are many cool figures lately, but there is a definite difference in quality. There's all kinds of cost-cutting going on, with hollow limbs everywhere. The figures mostly look good, if you squint a bit. Meanwhile, the Masterpieces are literal Masterpieces. Since you have a lot of catching up to do, I'd focus on those first.

Tizoc

sO BEFore I write about MTMTE
https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/614218603722874880
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Please let there be more adventures, please!

Now as to the issue itself
Parasites that feed of charisma and one's personality? I swear this comic would make for a good psychology thesis, but damn that panel with Thunderclash, frggin' win.

...AND THEN THAT LAST PANEL!
SWERVE! WHERE ARE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?!!?

Well, there are many cool figures lately, but there is a definite difference in quality. There's all kinds of cost-cutting going on, with hollow limbs everywhere. The figures mostly look good, if you squint a bit. Meanwhile, the Masterpieces are literal Masterpieces. Since you have a lot of catching up to do, I'd focus on those first.

Listen to Siegfried he's spot on here. You are still in a great spot to start collecting the Masterpiece line. Just about everything in the MP reboot (Mp10 forward) is still available and close to retail cost. Dont know if third party figures are your thing but they seem to fill in the gaps for the more obscure Transformers,check out Fans Toys MP figures,they have done the Dinobots,Perceptor, Shockwave n many others andhave a Jetfire in the works http://tfsource.com/search/view/status/4/manufacturer/33/. There are plenty of other 3p companies joining the MP wars as well. Id still suggest starting off with MP10 Optimus and one of the official carbots like Smokescreen,Sideswipe,Wheeljack,or the upcoming Tracks. The carbots are what really pulled me into this line. I love the fact that youd never even know they are Transformers when I vehicle mode,they look like awesome mini replicas of real cars. Anyways good luck!

Personally, I'd recommend Optimus Prime (he's available for decent prices because of a reissue but he'll take off once again), Soundwave (because he's completely awesome) and Prowl (THE very best Transformer released ever) to start out. These three are iconic and the very top of the line.

aparisi2274

Just got word today that my MP-10 finally shipped from BBTS. I have the original Prime, MP-1 figure, but never had the trailer with it.

I hear this new Prime is molded to fit in line with the newer MP figures in terms of size and scale, so I'm looking forward to getting in some time with him and seeing how he looks with Grimlock and Megs and Starscream.

Top Bottom