• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

yami4ct

Personally, I'd recommend Optimus Prime (he's available for decent prices because of a reissue but he'll take off once again), Soundwave (because he's completely awesome) and Prowl (THE very best Transformer released ever) to start out. These three are iconic and the very top of the line.

I honestly can't agree with most those picks. MP-10 is a must own, but I think the Prowl mold is quite boring compared to the other MP cars and Soundeave is a huge disappointment. His hip design feels like it'll break at any moment, his alt mode is full of holes, the paint on his feet chip at the slightest provocation and Laserbeak is pretty much doomed to break given the size and fragility of his joints.

If I was starting out, I'd say get Prime because he's iconic and amazing. Get Starscream Ver 2 because he's the best MP Decepticon and an amazing version of the character. Finally pick up Wheeljack. He's the best looking and most fun of the MP cars. Maybe also get Bee as he's super impressive for his size and a ton of fun as well.

sol_bad

You guys are making it harder to decide what to do. lol
I certainly want all the Masterpieces from MP-10 onwards. But it seems a cheaper option to get more up to date with the Universe /Generations line right now.

HMMMMMMM
I found an online Philippino store that has Generations/United/Legends versions of Skullgrin, Thunderwing, Wheeljack, Warpath, Scourge, Orion Pax, Megatronus, Trailbreaker, Hoist, Powerdive, Blitzwing, Grapple, Rodimus Prime and Beast Megatron.

yami4ct

You guys are making it harder to decide what to do. lol
I certainly want all the Masterpieces from MP-10 onwards. But it seems a cheaper option to get more up to date with the Universe /Generations line right now.

HMMMMMMM
I found an online Philippino store that has Generations/United/Legends versions of Skullgrin, Thunderwing, Wheeljack, Warpath, Scourge, Orion Pax, Megatronus, Trailbreaker, Hoist, Powerdive, Blitzwing, Grapple, Rodimus Prime and Beast Megatron.

It's a trade off. MP is always going to be the best quality you can get, but generations is cheaper and offers a better selection of characters. We aren't going to see an MP Sky Lynx, Arcee, Brainstorm, etc in the near future. Generations is your only option for those. You can also get a much bigger display with generations with the same amount you put into MPs. There's a reason I collect both lines. Combiner Wars has been an especially great Generations line, so there's really no shame in grabbing a bunch of those instead of a couple MPs if your on a limited budget.

sol_bad

Does anyone own both the Hasbro Masterpiece Thundercracker and Generations Leader Thundwrcracker?
They obviously have very different visual designs but are they both worth owning?

All this talk of Masterpieces just makes me wish Takara would do more non-first few years of G1 guys.

I'm not really talking about non-G1 stuff like Beast Wars and the like, but I'd love for like some later G1 characters to get some Masterpieces.

I want Masterpiece God Ginrai and Overlord and Deszaras is what I'm saying

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I will throw my hat in the "MP Soundwave rules" ring. His flaws are tremendously overstated by detractors. He's an awesome depiction of the character, and the tapes range from "pretty good" to "holy shit I can't believe they pulled this off." Laserbeak/Buzzsaw are the latter. If you can find a US MP Soundwave for a reasonable price, jump on it immediately.

Does anyone own both the Hasbro Masterpiece Thundercracker and Generations Leader Thundwrcracker?
They obviously have very different visual designs but are they both worth owning?

Well, one is an exceptional depiction of the G1 character with a near model-quality alt mode, and the other is an adequate depiction of the IDW character using a decent-but-not-mindblowing mold as a base. If I could only have one, MP Thundercracker without hesitation. Not saying Leader 'Cracker is bad, but it's just not in the same league as an MP.

Whats the best Devastator on the market at the moment? size to price ratio ìs important :)

Walmart exclusive is 50$ but it looks a little shitty.
The G1 is just a unimpressive.

Perhaps a 'version'? any pointers? there are many out there.

yami4ct

I own the Jetfire mold CW Thundercracker is based on and the Hasbro US MP TC. The CW mold feels too big for a seeker to be honest. It's clearly meant to be Jetfire, but the mold itself has a really clever, simple transformation and is endlessly fun to play with.

The MP Seeker Ver. 2 mold is basically perfect and is certainly worth owning. Easily the best MP Decepticon and possibly the best non-car MP. It's so cool.

Whats the best Devastator on the market at the moment? size to price ratio ìs important :)

Walmart exclusive is 50$ but it looks a little shitty.
The G1 is just a unimpressive.

Perhaps a 'version'? any pointers? there are many out there.

I'll second the "you're kidding, right?", it's impossible to beat the upcoming Combiner Wars one in size to price ratio, not just for Devastators but probably for official transformers in general.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhvpC7YEhF8
I've noticed the components are disappointingly simple for their size (no waist joints, many have no elbows or pretty shitty "split arm on a small swivel" elbows, etc) but it seems that all of that effort went into the combined form, which looks amazing and seems to be solid and articulated.

Ovek

7Member7
At least Not-Mixmaster look like Mixmaster and Not-Long Haul isn't a fat bloke.

Aww how can you not like this chubby little fella?

CONSTRUCTICON-LONG-HAUL-R_1423963336.jpg

yami4ct

Aww how can you not like this chubby little fella?

[IG]http://news.tfw2005.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2015/02/CONSTRUCTICON-LONG-HAUL-R_1423963336.jpg[/IMG]

Maybe it's cool to hate on the new Long Haul, but man I dig that bad boy. He looks imposing as hell in group shots. Dude looks like a bruiser.

Tbh I think people are hating on the new Long Haul because it's the only Constructicon to not be GEEWUN as possible.

(At least the Takara version give them all proper elbows)

yami4ct

Tbh I think people are hating on the new Long Haul because it's the only Constructicon to not be GEEWUN as possible.

He's definitely got more of an IDW than G1 feel, which is a plus for me.

As for the elbows, I personally really don't care. My display is going to be in combined mode only, and the extra paint apps and elbows (while nice) don't add enough for me to consider the Takara price premium+assuredly high shipping.

sol_bad

I have one more quick question about the Masterpiece range. Are Optimus, Sideswipe, Red Alert and Starscream to most recent reissues and are they the ones I should get first?

OOHH
Also why was MP-02 Soundwave a con exclusive and is it worth $300usd + shipping from EBay?

yami4ct

I have one more quick question about the Masterpiece range. Are Optimus, Sideswipe, Red Alert and Starscream to most recent reissues and are they the ones I should get first?

OOHH
Also why was MP-02 Soundwave a con exclusive and is it worth $300usd + shipping from EBay?

I believe those are the ones that got the most recent reissues. Grimlock got one not too long back I believe. I would definitely grab at least Optimus and Starscream out of that group as I could see those going up more quickly than the car bots.

As for Soundwave, he wasn't a con exclusive. I believe Toy'r Us offered his US version first at SDCC, but he was sold in stores later. The Japanese version came first and was also retail. If anyone is calling it a 'Con exclusive, it's just a dumb shady ploy to dupe people into paying more.

sol_bad

I believe those are the ones that got the most recent reissues. Grimlock got one not too long back I believe. I would definitely grab at least Optimus and Starscream out of that group as I could see those going up more quickly than the car bots.

As for Soundwave, he wasn't a con exclusive. I believe Toy'r Us offered his US version first at SDCC, but he was sold in stores later. The Japanese version came first and was also retail. If anyone is calling it a 'Con exclusive, it's just a dumb shady ploy to dupe people into paying more.

He's the version with all 5 cassette tapes.
That wasn't a con exclusive?

yami4ct

He's the version with all 5 cassette tapes.
That wasn't a con exclusive?

Nope. That was the official US release. It was sold first at SDCC, but it also made it to retail.

One thing of note, that edition has a yellow visor like the toy. If you want a red visor like the show, grab the Japanese MP.

OOHH

Yes and Yes get all of those first if you can. Also there were reissues of both Takara and Hasbro Optimus Prime. Key differences Takaras is mostly fully painted,(trailer too) while Hasbro is colored plastic. Hasbro has painted eyes and cab lights,Takara doesn't. Takaras is G1 toy colored,Hasbro is G1 cartoon colored.

That Mp-02 Soundwave is considered "rare" since there have been no reissues or second runs of it. Its the only Soundwave plus all cassettes package out there besides the year of the goat Soundwave package. Youd be better off getting Takaras version and buying the two cassette tape packages separate. Here is a link to all the masterpiece releases from both Takara and Hasbro -> http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers:_Masterpiece

Hasbro left,Takara right
MP10H_5.jpg

I had no clue about that. If it's not ridiculously more expensive, I might get a Takara Devastator then (I live in Europe so I have to import anyway).

And if you care about it, the Takara version also has a new combiner head that lets you switch from toy-accurate eyes to cartoon-accurate visor.

(I don't know if I'll actually get Devastator at all though, I don't really have room for a big guy like that)

And if you care about it, the Takara version also has a new combiner head that lets you switch from toy-accurate eyes to cartoon-accurate visor.

(I don't know if I'll actually get Devastator at all though, I don't really have room for a big guy like that)

Yep, saw that too. That's pretty cool.
Thing is, I won't be able to get a Hasbro Devastator any cheaper than 200€ (220$) here in Spain, so I'd rather pay a bit more and have the definitive edition. Only thing is that it's been years since I last bought Japanese TFs. For those, do you usually go with HLJ or eBay these days?

Vyer

a friend of mine gave me a 20th anniversary mp Optimus. This Prime is freakin' huge. why

Makes me want to finally get an MP-10 even more.

yami4ct

a friend of mine gave me a 20th anniversary mp Optimus. This Prime is freakin' huge. why

Makes me want to finally get an MP-10 even more.

Oh man, 20th Anniversary Optimus. That thing is a monstrosity deco wise. I bought one to cannibalize an ankle joint for my broken MP-4, and its orange is nearly blinding. I have no clue why they went with that color.

Oh man, 20th Anniversary Optimus. That thing is a monstrosity deco wise. I bought one to cannibalize an ankle joint for my broken MP-4, and its orange is nearly blinding. I have no clue why they went with that color.
I guess you mean the DVD edition because Hasbro's original 20th Anniversary Prime actually wasn't bad with the light battle damage.

I have such fond memories of MP-1 and the hype surrounding it, I don't think I could ever sell it off even though it's been surpassed.

yami4ct

Yep. I was talking about the later, orange Prime release. That regular one isn't bad. The orange Prime, though, is one of the most baffling things I've seen.

Vyer

I told myself I was probably only going to pick up the CW Superion bots. Then I saw Offroad and thought it looked too cool. And now I'm eyeing Dead End and Motormaster.

I already know I will buy a Cyclonus or Magnus too.

Combiner Wars has sucked me back in.....

Bloodember

Combiner Wars got me to buy Transformers again as well. Ive got Megatron so far and plan to pick up Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus and Cyclonus as well. Love to get them all but don't have that kind of money, so I have to choose what I want, so I just get my favorite ones. Might get Devastator as well.

Top Bottom