• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Savitar

Yeah, it's got a bit of a Dreamwave look. But that was meant to be an update for G1 Dev. So I mean... it's all going back to G1.

Nobody's gonna mistake this guy for Michael Bay's Devastator.

I'm sure someone somewhere will cry over the fact he doesn't have a pair of testicles.

God knows why.

yami4ct

Yeah, it's got a bit of a Dreamwave look. But that was meant to be an update for G1 Dev. So I mean... it's all going back to G1.

Nobody's gonna mistake this guy for Michael Bay's Devastator.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Dreamwave look. It reminds me a ton of the poster I have signed behind my collection (Which I believe is a Dreamwave based poster).

Autographs+05+G1+Poster.JPG

Platinum's Prime has a really broad shouldered, hyper heroic look that I associate with Dreamwave. I also think the very vivid colors they chose are quite similar. I also think Devastator has that very broad look that Combiner Wars Devy has. It looks like Combiner Wars Devesatator if the fists were the right color and the head was better proportioned.

As for the argument, I agree it's splitting hairs, but I think it's still worth noting G1-Inspired Robots and G1 Art are very different things and one of those things is kind of terrible.

Cheerilee

I just went and took a look at my beaten up old Dreamwave Vol 1. I believe this is the exact splash page they're trying to evoke.

http://i.imgur.com/FSUD2bb.jpg

That line of dialogue just kind of made me mad.

"We're Autobots. We fight. That's what we do."

In my mind, the (G1) Autobots have never been fighters, they were workers. They were Quintesson slaves until they found the will to rise up in numbers and overthrow their oppressors. Then they had a period of peace and prosperity, where they freely worked for the betterment of themselves and those around them. Then the Decepticon minority (who are born fighters) attacked their Autobot brothers (for reasons that could be blamed on the Autobots, but should in no way vindicate the Decepticons), and inflicted mass casualties until the Autobots learned to fight back.

The Autobots are the good guys. They're not inherently warlike. They're fighting for their very survival. Optimus Prime was the first great warrior in the Autobot ranks, but his real strength is his ability as a leader, not his skills in single combat. And he, as much as any Autobot, has a distaste for violence and is fighting for the day when he can put down his gun.

Savitar

That line of dialogue just kind of made me mad.

"We're Autobots. We fight. That's what we do."

In my mind, the (G1) Autobots have never been fighters, they were workers. They were Quintesson slaves until they found the will to rise up in numbers and overthrow their oppressors. Then they had a period of peace and prosperity, where they freely worked for the betterment of themselves and those around them. Then the Decepticon minority (who are born fighters) attacked their Autobot brothers (for reasons that could be blamed on the Autobots, but should in no way vindicate the Decepticons), and inflicted mass casualties until the Autobots learned to fight back.

The Autobots are the good guys. They're not inherently warlike. They're fighting for their very survival. Optimus Prime was the first great warrior in the Autobot ranks, but his real strength is his ability as a leader, not his skills in single combat. And he, as much as any Autobot, has a distaste for violence and is fighting for the day when he can put down his gun.

Remember, not all the books, shows and the like are the same continuities.

And over time, things change.

The Autobots became fighters, not because they wanted too. Because they had too.

Tizoc

Heh I personally like this as to why Autobots are who they are-
Megatron being told what being an Autobot is about said:

Cheerilee

The Autobots became fighters, not because they wanted too. Because they had too.

Heh I personally like this as to why Autobots are who they are-

This is true. If Optimus ever won his war and finally put down his gun, he'd be the first one to pick it back up again and run to the defense of anyone who happens to need defending.

But he wouldn't like it, and I just couldn't picture him defining the Autobots as "fighters". Maybe "We're Autobots, we endure" or "We're Autobots, we rise to meet the challenge."

This is true. If Optimus ever won his war and finally put down his gun, he'd be the first one to pick it back up again and run to the defense of anyone who happens to need defending.

But he wouldn't like it, and I just couldn't picture him defining the Autobots as "fighters". Maybe "We're Autobots, we endure" or "We're Autobots, we rise to meet the challenge."

"Autobots, they will give us their faces."

Ponn

Banned
Oh man, I would geek the fuck out if you don't get to play Optimus right away until like a later level and then he shows up when the shit is hitting the fan and is like "Megatron must be stopped, at any cost" and then the level is just a gauntlet of cons you mow through with The Touch playing.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I love the G1 cartoon as much as the next fan, but people really need to look back and see it for what it is (particularly in the art department).

Show looked super low budget and kind of like shit most of the time. Characters were frequently off model, there was no real sense of scale and they couldn't even keep colors consistent half the time.

Also that's a shot from the movie, which was head and shoulders above the TV show in consistency and general art quality. The TV show wasn't even that good.

The real answer is "The Dreamworks TF series fucking sucked."

It's not about just the backgrounds, the colors used and the way those similar character designs are rendered is completely different. It's a similar base design in a whole new art-style. I adore it and it's clearly trying to evoke a cartoonish feel, but it doesn't look G1 apart from the robot designs used. Even those aren't completely G1. Devastator in particular is a much more modern, updated and more imposing take on the character.

1308198105_Copy_of_d1.jpg

I guess I'm just not seeing it. It looks far more G1-inspired to me than Dreamwave. Look at Devastator's head, that huge frankenstein forehead is on both Platinum's rendition and all G1 art, but missing from Dreamwave where he has a tiny face. His arms are black and purple in both Platinum and G1 but all purple in Dreamwave. And so on and so forth.

If you mean proportions and such, obviously a 2015 product it's going to look more stylized and similar to a 2000's product than an 80's one, but just as much you could say that they're based on modern Gundam. :p

Beth Cyra

Also that's a shot from the movie, which was head and shoulders above the TV show in consistency and general art quality. The TV show wasn't even that good.

The real answer is "The Dreamworks TF series fucking sucked."

Sadly this is really true to a lot of Transformers fans, well sadly for me anyway.

The Dreamwave G1 storyline along with War With In is the very pinnacle of Tranformers lore in my eyes (not because of the Twin Magnus, but I do also really like that) and Im still sad that IDW choose to take it and change it as much as they did.

Granted I'm in the minority and I fully accept that, I just wish it had lasted a little longer then what it did.

Cheerilee

Sadly this is really true to a lot of Transformers fans, well sadly for me anyway.

The Dreamwave G1 storyline along with War With In is the very pinnacle of Tranformers lore in my eyes (not because of the Twin Magnus, but I do also really like that) and Im still sad that IDW choose to take it and change it as much as they did.

Granted I'm in the minority and I fully accept that, I just wish it had lasted a little longer then what it did.

I remember when the Dreamwave comics came out. Beast Wars had been great, but it was common knowledge that G1 was a thing of the past. But then I was riding the bus and I saw a guy reading a shiny-new G1 comic book.

I ran to the comic book store the next day, and the first issues were sold out and resale prices were climbing like crazy, and it had second printings whose prices were climbing, so I got in on the third printing. I saw the monthly sales charts. Transformers was the hottest comic in years. (Incidentally, I just checked and that third print of #1 is worth $2.50, fifty cents less than cover price. The first print is worth $3.50, fifty cents more than cover. LOL.)

I was excited to be reading these comics, but I wasn't actually enjoying them. I was mostly waiting for them to get good. The War Within was the first one I actually liked, but I should give credit for that to Simon Furman, not Dreamwave.

After years of crushing the biggest names in comics, having multiple spots in the top ten locked up, month after month, Dreamwave went bankrupt and Transformers comics died, because that fucking asshole Pat Lee was embezzling money and not paying the people who did the actual work of making comics, like Simon Furman.

I didn't read the IDW comics, because I was tired of the bullshit and thought this was a fine "jumping off" point, which is something I regret because I clearly backed the wrong horse.

Bloodember

I enjoyed the Dreamwave run as well, I was bummed when they went belly up and then IDW decided to change everything again. But I have liked what IDW has been doing, have been enjoying all the stories so far.

Savitar

The G1 comic sold the way it did because fans were hungry for some G1 after so long and lets face it, those fans had money. They could easily afford it. So they bought it in droves. Transformers at the time became so hot it even got a cross over with the Avengers.

Sadly all good things end and with how the property was handled by Pat Lee and co and the stories being less than great it plummeted greatly. Pretty sure it was number one on sales which was amazing.

Also I've seen a pretty decent looking Devastator knock off down at the store, not often they have such things so was weird to see it. Looks like it could have been near G1 material.

The G1 comic sold the way it did because fans were hungry for some G1 after so long and lets face it, those fans had money. They could easily afford it. So they bought it in droves. Transformers at the time became so hot it even got a cross over with the Avengers.

Sadly all good things end and with how the property was handled by Pat Lee and co and the stories being less than great it plummeted greatly. Pretty sure it was number one on sales which was amazing.

Also I've seen a pretty decent looking Devastator knock off down at the store, not often they have such things so was weird to see it. Looks like it could have been near G1 material.

To be fair, during the Dreamwave years they crossed with GI Joe. The Avengers thing (which was awful, by the way) was in IDW.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Other than War Within, they were so bad, though. Once the thrill of "OMG new Transformers comics!" wore off, you were left with this meandering story and godawful Pat Lee art. The early IDW wasn't much better thanks to Simon Furman's endless dangling plot thread fetish, but it got somewhere eventually. Dreamwave was like if '90s Image Rob Liefeld had gotten hold of the license somehow. And that's leaving aside the numerous ways Pat Lee royally screwed many of the writers and artists working for him. I can't see it as anything but an era best forgotten.

I was excited to be reading these comics, but I wasn't actually enjoying them. I was mostly waiting for them to get good.

That is just Dreamwave TF in a nutshell right there.

yami4ct

1308198105_Copy_of_d1.jpg

I guess I'm just not seeing it. It looks far more G1-inspired to me than Dreamwave. Look at Devastator's head, that huge frankenstein forehead is on both Platinum's rendition and all G1 art, but missing from Dreamwave where he has a tiny face. His arms are black and purple in both Platinum and G1 but all purple in Dreamwave. And so on and so forth.

If you mean proportions and such, obviously a 2015 product it's going to look more stylized and similar to a 2000's product than an 80's one, but just as much you could say that they're based on modern Gundam. :p

I was more referring to the G1 animated Devastator, which has a much leaner build overall.

Later incarnations of Devy take heavily from the toy proportions and toy art, which is good because those are much better. I suspect the animation look was more due to the low budget of the TV show and everyone being off model. I also would say the Platinum Devastator looks pretty damn close to the modern Combiner Wars update rather than the Dreamwave version. If you change the hand color and made the CW head better proportioned, it's almost right on the nose.

Optimus, on the other hand, is very Dreamwave.

Mindwipe

I was more referring to the G1 animated Devastator, which has a much leaner build overall.

Later incarnations of Devy take heavily from the toy proportions and toy art, which is good because those are much better. I suspect the animation look was more due to the low budget of the TV show and everyone being off model. I also would say the Platinum Devastator looks pretty damn close to the modern Combiner Wars update rather than the Dreamwave version. If you change the hand color and made the CW head better proportioned, it's almost right on the nose.

Optimus, on the other hand, is very Dreamwave.

There are two sets of show models - the Floro Dery ones (which you're using here) and the Studio Ox ones. Studio Ox also did much more detailed artwork in Japan for TV Magazine etc. (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Studio_OX)

It's not identical, but these are clearly supposed to be the Studio Ox models, and the style of shading is a homage to Studio Ox too.

Tizoc

The hate and toxicity in that thread.
Holy shit. We get that you're pissed MGR2 'is never happening', but don't take it out on a game that maybe the people working on it actually wanted/liked to work on it

Mike M

Nick N
I'm honestly not feeling that trailer. Seeing G1 characters jump around and smash shit up like that just seems... Off.

Still jazzed to play it, don't get me wrong.

Tizoc

I'm honestly not feeling that trailer. Seeing G1 characters jump around and smash shit up like that just seems... Off.

Still jazzed to play it, don't get me wrong.

See that's the thing: You gotta revel in the absurdity and wackiness of it.
Think of it like DMC: It's ridiculous yes, but it's also awesome.

Just don't take it too seriously and you could have a blast ;)

I liked volume 1 of the Dreamwave run. That story actually felt like a nice reboot/revival for G1.

Volume 2 was where it lost me. They went back to Cybertron and uhhhh.... nothing made any goddamn sense to me anymore. Felt completely disconnected and bizarre.

Never read any of the other stuff afterwards.

sol_bad

Why don't you take pics of everything, post them here and we'll tell you if there's any hidden gem there? I'm personally quite disappointed from the Masterpiece line in general and I'm skipping them in favor of some of the better figures in the Classics / Universe / Combiner Wars line.

Also if you find a particularly good shop in Manila be sure to post it, as I have a very good Filipino friend that might find the info useful.

I haven't been back to the shop so haven't taken any photos. The only 2 shops I have noticed are Toys R Us and Toy Kingdom in Makati. Your friend would obviously know of them already. I did notice a few hobby shops before I had an interest in Transformers, it had a lot of variety and was aimed at the older collector. Lots of retro toys too, I'll have to search the shops again to find it!!!

In reading through the Transformers history and reading about the toys. It seems that Japan mostly gets the better paint jobs. Do the majority of you guys import the Japanese releases or do you just buy locally?

In reading through the Transformers history and reading about the toys. It seems that Japan mostly gets the better paint jobs. Do the majority of you guys import the Japanese releases or do you just buy locally?

I live in Spain, so it's hit or miss whether or not they're released "locally", especially for non-Bayformers. I've done all of these at some point:
1) Buy locally when I get lucky and something I want is released here and at a reasonable price.
2) Import from HLJ.com (Japan).
3) Import from BBTS (US).
4) Import from random eBay sellers (usually Hong Kong, can be Hasbro or Takara versions).
5) Buy at local specialized import shops (my most used option lately now that I found a very fairly priced shop in Madrid, Toys and Soldiers). These tend to be US versions.

Sometimes if the paintjob is clearly better in the Japanese version but I only have reasonably cheap access to the Hasbro version, I will simply repaint it myself. I just did so with my Hasbro Windblade.

Savitar

Optimus Prime does dragon punch!

Can transform into a truck mid air and ram them!

Has fire coming out of the smoke stacks!

Can transform into a truck and slam onto them when they're prone on the ground!

Transforming sound is in!

Mike M

Nick N
The turning into a vehicle in mid air to ram them is reeeeeeally stupid looking, but otherwise I will totally buy this.

Very late, but I got Age of Extinction on bluray for cheap, just to get it over with. And even though I didn't expect much, it was even dumber than I thought, and the characters are horrible. I don't regret skipping on the entire line.

Mark Wahlberg was actually rather good though, inside that convoluted mess of a plot. Surprised.

yami4ct

Ironhide makes sens and was a bit expected. Primal is crazy. Can't wait. That's clearly a very early non-transformable prototype, but I'm sure Takara can make it work.

Taking a few more looks at Ironhide and it appears the Sled is just an accessory and he does include a perfect transformation. Awesome! It's the best of both worlds. It's the sled for those who want it, but the transformation is kept clean for people like myself who want that.

Beth Cyra

Iron Hide makes me a happy panda.

Primal disappoints me. Hate that character and given the poll they had last year I had hoped the next series to get a character would be Armada Prime

yami4ct

Iron Hide makes me a happy panda.

Primal disappoints me. Hate that character and given the poll they had last year I had hoped the next series to get a character would be Armada Prime

With the Beast Wars 20th upon us, it totally make sense to do at least Megs and Prime. I'm totally happy to buy both those. All the BW stuff is great for me.

That being said, I actually would have preferred an Optimal Optimus MP than a regular Primal, but that was never gonna happen. I do hope we can still get an MP Fire Convoy someday.

Mike M

Nick N
Primal's gorilla mode was modeled terribly, I'd much rather not have slavish accuracy to that... Thing. Give me Trasmetal Primal or OpOp, and I'd be more interested.

Beth Cyra

With the Beast Wars 20th upon us, it totally make sense to do at least Megs and Prime. I'm totally happy to buy both those. All the BW stuff is great for me.

That being said, I actually would have preferred an Optimal Optimus MP than a regular Primal, but that was never gonna happen. I do hope we can still get an MP Fire Convoy someday.

Oh I know I'm in a minority as far as my BW opinion goes.. and that is a smart if not great thing for them to do.

I just would prefer Armada Prime or Fire Convoy from RiD and then a Ultra Magnus for the Omega Prime powerlink.

Oh wow... MP Ironhide!

That face looks way off though. I don't think Ironhide ever had a nose that long.

I'm glad they went with Ironhide. With the third party MP Hound, Reflector, Jazz, and Sunstreaker coming out soon, it would've been a shame if there was a duplicate somewhere.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm okay with never seeing an MP Armada Prime, since the Unicron Trilogy should be erased from existence along with Beast Machines, but I do hope they get around to an MP God Ginrai and MP God Fire Convoy at some point. Really I suspect they'll make just about everything on that fanpoll that Star Saber won.

At the panel they said that 2016 was the "year of masterpiece Beast Wars" so I'd at least expect a Megatron to go with that Primal.

Beth Cyra

I'm okay with never seeing an MP Armada Prime, since the Unicron Trilogy should be erased from existence along with Beast Machines, but I do hope they get around to an MP God Ginrai and MP God Fire Convoy at some point. Really I suspect they'll make just about everything on that fanpoll that Star Saber won.

At the panel they said that 2016 was the "year of masterpiece Beast Wars" so I'd at least expect a Megatron to go with that Primal.
God Genrai would be so great. God Fire is which one again?

Beth Cyra

Sorry, God Fire Convoy is the Japanese name for RiD Omega Prime. I used the Japanese name since a Takara MP would call him that.
That is who I thought it was, but I wasn't sure if maybe along with God Ginrai there was something else from the Japanese series I was overlooking.

God Convoy was Magnus in Japan and Fire Convoy was Prime If I remember right.

Top Bottom