• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphics Technology Discussion: All games on consoles and PCs..

Game with the most impressive tech for me this year and so underrated and ignored (in the shadow of Dark Souls) -- Lords of the Fallen. They put so much into the game!

Biggest Highlight: True ray-marching volume lighting (forget about area lights)! Notice the noise field evaluation in the light volume. This is the kinda stuff we do in film! Excellent work!

pPOxQW.png

Ironically, his face in-game (i.e. actually controlling him with the joystick) rivals his cutscene face. I've yet to find a game that does that. Supposedly, UC4 boasts doing that. We'll see.

uQmyXJ.png

Noise fields, turbulence operated, particle FX, really high res textures, HBAO+, GI light probes + dynamic light maps using Enlighten, screen-space reflections and light propagation through transparent surfaces in volumes (see below).

nUbQEj.png

WMxZ8a.png

I'll repeat my post, because it will die as last post on the page :)

------
New cloth and hair physics in CryEngine showed in King of Wushu trailer.
Dunno if they were developed by Crytek or company that made a MMO though.

webm:
http://a.pomf.se/iwceij.webm

Link to a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT2wDXXpan0

I was really enjoying the first part of that trailer and thinking.. wow, this game is going to be mine when it comes out. An action-adventure game?

Then, it killed the mood with the Dynasty Warriors gameplay. Damn it! The beautiful graphics get stomped on by the large ass HIT point sprites, and the over exaggerated explosions!! Arrghh! Pass.

KKRT00

I was really enjoying the first part of that trailer and thinking.. wow, this game is going to be mine when it comes out. An action-adventure game?

Then, it killed the mood with the Dynasty Warriors gameplay. Damn it! The beautiful graphics get stomped on by the large ass HIT point sprites, and the over exaggerated explosions!! Arrghh! Pass.

Actually its a MOBA :p

----
Volumetric lighting and particle lighting is pretty awesome in LotF. What a pity that i'm not interested in the game at all.

Excellent catch :p Great necro. Out of curiosity, how taxing is a voxel GI bounce? The geometry in The Tomorrow Children for example is pretty simple, so it's not like they have to worry much about stressing the hardware, but what kind of framerate hits are we talking to implement?

Excellent catch :p Great necro. Out of curiosity, how taxing is a voxel GI bounce? The geometry in The Tomorrow Children for example is pretty simple, so it's not like they have to worry much about stressing the hardware, but what kind of framerate hits are we talking to implement?

Their docs mention 4 milliseconds on an xb1 and 2 milliseconds on PC (unknown config).

amazing stuff. 4ms on bone. im ok with that. easily worth it in many cases.

Looking into it more, that is using the low quality spec which only seems to work for large scale AO and single bounce sun light (so none of the multibounce, specular, or stuff from projector lights).

Still, that is pretty damn awesome.

Looking into it more, that is using the low quality spec which only seems to work for large scale AO and single bounce sun light (so none of the multibounce, specular, or stuff from projector lights).

So what Ryse:Son of Rome used?
Or was that baked GI

So what Ryse:Son of Rome used?
Or was that baked GI

The GI in Ryse is not baked per say (it is not really GI), but is done with manually hand placed probes and otherwise is basically all screen space stuff (AO, reflections, etc...). Which is completely non-dynamic and labour intensive in comparison.

This looks much much better.

The GI in Ryse is not baked per say (it is not really GI), but is done with manually hand placed probes and otherwise is basically all screen space stuff (AO, reflections, etc...). Which is completely non-dynamic and labour intensive in comparison.

This looks much much better.

k, thanks for the info.

Looks really good that example, didn't lionhead also used something based on the original paper for Fable legends. Or was that their older GI method light volume injection or something like that.

KKRT00

k, thanks for the info.

Looks really good that example, didn't lionhead also used something based on the original paper for Fable legends. Or was that their older GI method light volume injection or something like that.

Lionhead is using heavy modified LPV tech.

Cool thread guys, much thanks to the contributors.

IME as a gamer and production artist, a dynamic GI solution is one of the last, biggest tech hurdles to overcome, in order to really 'trick' the eye believably. Once photons are bouncing semi-realistically, even a relatively low-res environment can start to feel uncannily 'real'.

In practical terms, can anyone guess how far off we are from a widely implemented dynamic GI solution, like VXGI? I'm not a software engineer or anything so my knowledge is limited on the tech end. Would I be correct in guessing we're at least another console iteration away?

i figure the first bounce would be the most noticable anyways. care to elaborate what you mean with "specular" (is bounce light not effecting materials specular layers?) and "projector lights" (nonspherical light sources?) in this context?

i figure the first bounce would be the most noticable anyways. care to elaborate what you mean with "specular" (is bounce light not effecting materials specular layers?) and "projector lights" (nonspherical light sources?) in this context?
Yeah,
the lowest GI setting (what accounts for 4MS on xb1) only effects the diffuse lighting component, so any things like a specular reflection from indirect lighting, will have to be done through some other piece of tech, like SSR or through an IBL probe.

Higher settings enable real time indirect reflections from the voxel GI.

You can see the differences here:

No GI:
Gi level 0 (xb1 level):
Gi level 1:
Gi level 2:

Skinpop

4 ms is such a random number without knowing any settings. are there dynamic objects in the scene, how dense it the grid? what about flickering, is there a specular GI component? I've seen nice realtime dynamic GI demos since many years back but in practice there's often some nasty draw backs/limitations that makes pre-baked or semi pre-baked a better alternative. not saying that is the case with this feature, I'm just skeptical.

KKRT00

4 ms is such a random number without knowing any settings. are there dynamic objects in the scene, how dense it the grid? what about flickering, is there a specular GI component? I've seen nice realtime dynamic GI demos since many years back but in practice there's often some nasty draw backs/limitations that makes pre-baked or semi pre-baked a better alternative. not saying that is the case with this feature, I'm just skeptical.

From the site:
"The performance depends on which GI settings are used. Usually on Xbox One it takes about 4 ms of GPU time and on good PC it takes about 2 ms (AO + Sun bounce, no point lights, low-spec mode)."

Water

Voxel based GI from projector lights on gifs:
I have a feeling sharp, fast-moving spotlights in dark indoor scenes are going to be one of the hardest cases for the tech. Fast on/off quality is likely to be a problem too - not just flashlights that can be flicked on and off, but also explosions, lightning and such. The artifacts in the red spotlight scene are very noticeable despite the scene geometry being static. And if the artifacts are noticeable now, they'll become glaring in an interactive scene where the player has control of the light.

The initial real IQ shockers are probably going to be games designed within a specific envelope of parameters where the GI system happens to work nicely without needing much workarounds or care after initial setup. So what I'm hoping for is the system has wide enough envelopes like that. Let's say a scenario where player enters shallow caves only lit by (direct and indirect) daylight coming down open shafts and bouncing, where the dynamic quality of the GI becomes apparent from how characters block the light. Or a dark indoor scenario but with only slow-moving, omnidirectional, flickery dynamic light sources like torches and lanterns, mostly not in player's direct control.

KKRT00

I have a feeling sharp, fast-moving spotlights in dark indoor scenes are going to be one of the hardest cases for the tech. Fast on/off quality is likely to be a problem too - not just flashlights that can be flicked on and off, but also explosions, lightning and such. The artifacts in the red spotlight scene are very noticeable despite the scene geometry being static. And if the artifacts are noticeable now, they'll become glaring in an interactive scene where the player has control of the light.

The initial real IQ shockers are probably going to be games designed within a specific envelope of parameters where the GI system happens to work nicely without needing much workarounds or care after initial setup. So what I'm hoping for is the system has wide enough envelopes like that. Let's say a scenario where player enters shallow caves only lit by (direct and indirect) daylight coming down open shafts and bouncing, where the dynamic quality of the GI becomes apparent from how characters block the light. Or a dark indoor scenario but with only slow-moving, omnidirectional, flickery dynamic light sources like torches and lanterns, mostly not in player's direct control.

The bounce and light intensity is very exaggerated on those examples. Also light is moving very fast. Dont except such a illumination from a standard light.

I am pretty positive the author would be happy to share it, so here it is. The real time GI demo in cryengine in an .exe form. This made by the Cryengine community's Synce who makes lots of architectural visualizations in Octane Renderer and others.

Current limitations:
1. Cubemaps do not blend between TOD changes
2. No specular from GI
3. slight hitching upon TOD change and voxel update
4. SMAA modes are both buggy

Even then it looks fantastic, I took these screens @ 3K @ 30fps.

Top Bottom