• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphics Technology Discussion: All games on consoles and PCs..

adelante

Just played more Alien:Isolation today.. this is the only game out currently that has realtime dynamic indirect lighting. You can see it in the flashlight (when you turn it on). It will take about a second but you'll notice it will cast secondary bounced light behind the direct path of the flashlight. Simply amazing to look at.

In contrast, I looked for this in TLOU:Remastered (since the devs said it's a feature) and it's simply isn't there.

It's showed off here: http://youtu.be/yH5MgEbBOps?t=1h41s

AmyS

I was thinking about something today as I watched The Lego Movie (2014 film) on Blu-ray which uses pretty low-end prerendered CG from what I can tell.

On future consoles, XB4 / PS5 around the end of the decade, I wonder how much game developers might be able to ramp up the per frame detail / complexity and lighting if they limited the resolution to 1080p and the framerate to a locked 30fps, even if those consoles are capable of rendering games in native 4K (3840 x 2160p).

In other words (and this depends on what spec Microsoft & Sony go for next-gen) without the burden of having to render at 4K res, or the burden of running at 60fps, it will be interesting to how much more detail could be crammed into each frame if resolution+framerate are held to 1080p30.

Naturally that is a question nobody can answer right now or anytime in the next couple of years. But seeing The Lego Movie, as well as trailer for The Tomorrow Children on PS4 kinda stirred my imagination about certain trade-offs.

I was thinking about something today as I watched The Lego Movie (2014 film) on Blu-ray which uses pretty low-end prerendered CG from what I can tell.

On future consoles, XB4 / PS5 around the end of the decade, I wonder how much game developers might be able to ramp up the per frame detail / complexity and lighting if they limited the resolution to 1080p and the framerate to a locked 30fps, even if those consoles are capable of rendering games in native 4K (3840 x 2160p).

In other words (and this depends on what spec Microsoft & Sony go for next-gen) without the burden of having to render at 4K res, or the burden of running at 60fps, it will be interesting to how much more detail could be crammed into each frame if resolution+framerate are held to 1080p30.

Naturally that is a question nobody can answer right now or anytime in the next couple of years. But seeing The Lego Movie, as well as trailer for The Tomorrow Children on PS4 kinda stirred my imagination about certain trade-offs.

If Sony adopts this tech and if it is efficient, we can expect an exponential jump in terms of details possible to display:

http://gearburn.com/2014/08/sonys-playstation-5-plans-could-include-blazing-fast-3d-stacked-ram/

http://goo.gl/1EfKjN

I was thinking about something today as I watched The Lego Movie (2014 film) on Blu-ray which uses pretty low-end prerendered CG from what I can tell. .

I am pretty sure I read that the lego film was path traced. Hence why it actually looks like legos.

JordanN

Banned

If they do choose to skip 4k, there is always 2k resolution. That was the standard used by Pixar starting with Cars. But of course, those films have lots of anti-aliasing thrown on top of them.

Personally, I prefer Sony/MS wait for the tech for 4k to happen and sell it cheap. Even if it means waiting 10 years for it.

delta25

Banned
I know this isn't exactly what the thread is about, but Killzone shadowfall uses a sound tech that allows sound to bounce off objects and walls, it's really quite extraordinary when you listen for it.

You have no idea what you are saying. It's not. It's using path-tracing and all kinds of PBR with instances, geometry cache, real SSS etc.. that consoles won't have the hardware for at least a few generations.

We need a different architecture for graphics hardware first. Scanline rendering has to be superseded by path-tracing. I imagine the PC will get it first.

JordanN

Banned
You have no idea what you are saying. It's not. It's using path-tracing and all kinds of PBR with instances, geometry cache, real SSS etc.. that consoles won't have the hardware for at least a few generations.

We need a different architecture for graphics hardware first. Scanline rendering has to be superseded by path-tracing. I imagine the PC will get it first.
Some of those things already exist (PBR and SSS are possible on PS4/XBO).

But there's a lot more to CG that gives it its look (i.e post processing).

On Demand

Banned
Thank you for this.

I'm really tired of seeing people expecting miracles to be squeezed out of these limited machines. It's illogical, wishful thinking. Very tiresome to see again and again.

You're the one who keeps on thinking this. You never miss a moment to mention that the consoles are a POS.

All that's said is, just last gen and the gen before, games will continue to look better as the generation continues. Nobody is saying there's some hidden power waiting to be used. It boggles my mind why this is doubted seeing how that's what always happens. You have proof out there if you want to look. Launch PS3 games look completely different than the games on PS3 now.

Yes the PS4 is easier to develop for, but there's still learning involved, i don't think that means we won't get the same quality increase over the years.

AmyS

I was wrong about the rendering technique used in the Lego film, it's more advanced than I had thought. However, I was not suggesting that quality might be possible real-time on future consoles.

I merely said it, among other things, got me wondering if there would be a major benefit for some games (not all) on PS5 era consoles to cap resolution/FPS at 1080p 30 for the purpose of greatly upping the amount of detail/complexity per frame.

My question could also apply to Xbox 360 and PS3. Suppose some games had been developed on those machines in 480p SD (even tho they were capable of 720p and even 1080p). Would the performance savings from not using 720p (~3x the resolution of 480p) allow more to be done with the actual graphics?

adelante

Bah. One level and that's it? That's not something I would consider a full feature in a game. I would like to know if they used the same technique as CA with realtime radiosity.
I'm pretty sure you could see this effect in a lot of indoor levels. And I know this because I remember playing around with the flashlight throughout the game specifically to see that effect at work.

stryke

This thread reminded me to have a look at GDC Vault as I had forgotten GDC happened during Gamescom. In lieu with the recent AC Unity kerfuffle I found an interesting presentation by Alexis Vaisse who's Lead Programmer at Ubisoft Montpellier, in which he discusses the use of compute shaders in their next gen titles (Unity, FC4, Division, etc). It's not a principle we're unfamiliar with as there are obviously tasks better suited to be done on the GPU.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand most of the presentation but the presentation includes graphs that reveal interesting relative performance information on last gen and current gen CPUs and GPUs in regards to cloth simulation*.

(*I'm fully aware current gen CPUs are more capable in other areas compared to last gen CPUs like branch prediction)

http://gdcvault.com/play/1020939/Efficient-Usage-of-Compute-Shaders

ibxsz3atuX1fsl.png

ir7iQJBZLot1B.png

Maybe the higher clock is doing something afterall

iorY6axgl39jO.png

i4AEaPnDz8nNZ.png

benzy

This doesn't seem. Clouds in Driveclub use Simu Truesky which is a very advanced sky system that handles clouds very realistically in a way that can affect gameplay. For example, the clouds hide the sun for a fertain time and they move making dynamic shadows, and when they expose the sun suddenly you get blinded or dazzled by its beams and you can't drive very well. It can alter stealth games gameplay too: http://simul.co/

You can see driveclub in their site and now they support UE4 too.

Just watched those tech vids. They look like Driveclub's clouds alright.

evfbyu.gif

pottuvoi

Banned
TLOU has a neat stencil shadow projection method for extracting fake shadows from objects when turning on it's flashlight.
It uses standard shadow map for shadows, there is no trick.
TLOU uses geomerics enlighten system with real-time radiosity enabled.
This is simply not true.

TLOU uses their tiled deferred rendering pipeline with a reflective shadowmap and low resolution buffer to calculate indirect lighting from flashlight.
The low-res buffer caused the artifacts that many in gaf were wondering a while back.
The method is very heavy and quality is not that impressive, would love to see them use something like geometrics in their future games. (or other methods which are independent from screen resolution.)

Geometrics use completely different tech.
http://www.geomerics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/radiosity_architecture.pdf
In contrast, I looked for this in TLOU:Remastered (since the devs said it's a feature) and it's simply isn't there.
It's sadly disabled in most scenes.

killatopak

Gold Member
Not really..

9YXTp42.jpg

Most GPUs can run this game very efficiently.

Also, PS4 and X1 is missing some features in AI. Also limited to 30fps with some dips.. I would hardly call that "holds up very close to a high end PC"

The problem with that pic is that even if you have the same GPU, you don't necessarily have the same CPU/RAM etc.

Vintage

One of the most visually impressive games I've played recently, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter:
Built on UE3, uses a technique called photogrammetry.

Basically the models and textures in the game are made form real-world photographs/laser scans. Each object is photographed hundreds of times form different angles and then combined into a 3d model using complex algorithms.

More info about it's uses in the game, with very cool in-browser tech demos.

Not really..

9YXTp42.jpg

Most GPUs can run this game very efficiently.

Also, PS4 and X1 is missing some features in AI. Also limited to 30fps with some dips.. I would hardly call that "holds up very close to a high end PC"

if that actually represents a console equivalent setting level, it first and foremost shows how badly optmized this game / engine is on the console side if they can't even hit the performance level of a 'ps4 - 15 %'-TFlops GPU.

playing alien just now and while i love the game it's a technical mess. asset quality is very very low compared to games like KZ:SF. just nothing there to justify this level of performance.

pottuvoi

Banned
One of the most visually impressive games I've played recently, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter:

Built on UE3, uses a technique called photogrammetry.

Basically the models and textures in the game are made form real-world photographs/laser scans. Each object is photographed hundreds of times form different angles and then combined into a 3d model using complex algorithms.

More info about it's uses in the game, with very cool in-browser tech demos.
Photogrammetry is a nice tool, but really requires a lot of work to get proper data out of it, especially if one wants to use results for modern PBR engine.
You need to color correct and get all lighting/shadow information out of the color/albedo texture and then create roughness, specular textures.

Would love to see some game to use results of photogrammetry for a tree bark and similar surface with an aid of vector-displacement map or a multilayer parallax map.

Here's some tests without any additional work. (so, not ready for relighting.)

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Epic, unrealistically, was pushing for more. The initial Elemental demo was running on an i7 CPU and a GTX 680. A $500+ GPU and $300+ CPU were never in the cards.

People argue over semantics like the wholesale price of components, but don't account for the cost of labor and shipping.

or which part of the world you are in as that makes a big difference in price ridiculous in a lot of cases

Some of those things already exist (PBR and SSS are possible on PS4/XBO).

No they aren't when using a path-tracer. And the SSS certainly isn't brute force path-tracing. PBR at the material level is very easy. But coming up with an importance sampled area light estimate or indirect light estimate is not. Something no game is doing currently because of hardware limitations.

-M

I'm pretty sure you could see this effect in a lot of indoor levels. And I know this because I remember playing around with the flashlight throughout the game specifically to see that effect at work.

I don't see it at all. I even went to the sewer level on the PS4 looking for it. Hell, you can take the flashlight and turn it off and and on and look at the outer cone to see if any indirect is being cast, it is not. The wall has the same intensity as it does when you turn the flashlight off.

Kinthalis

Banned
I know this isn't exactly what the thread is about, but Killzone shadowfall uses a sound tech that allows sound to bounce off objects and walls, it's really quite extraordinary when you listen for it.

Sound occlusion reverberations etc has been around on pc for well over a decade... then it went away when hardware accelerated audio died. It looks like it's making a comebackthough!yay!

Sound occlusion reverberations etc has been around on pc for well over a decade... then it went away when hardware accelerated audio died. It looks like it's making a comebackthough!yay!

It was used very well in the first Thief game (Thief Gold) and it used the ahrdware sound cards. It was very cool since you can hear the enemmies when they are away from with a deep distant sound, but now you can hear them just like they were near you while they aren't. It even lets sound propagate when you hit hard materials. Installing the newest openAL driver can enable it back in Theif Gold through emulation and it chnages the whole atmosphere.

It uses standard shadow map for shadows, there is no trick.

I was talking about the shadow being projected from the flashlight when it hits an object.

TLOU uses their tiled deferred rendering pipeline with a reflective shadowmap and low resolution buffer to calculate indirect lighting from flashlight.

Can you give me a link to the specifics of this technique? I have yet to see it in action the PS4 version of TLOU.

delta25

Banned

ya it sounds really fucking awesome.

On the topic of Killzone:shadowfall, the whole game is a visuals tech extravaganza.

ya it sounds really fucking awesome.

On the topic of Killzone:shadowfall, the whole game is a visuals tech extravaganza.

Yeah it definitely has a lot of stuff under the hood which is pretty great. I find the best part to be the arbeitrary area lights they have (which also can have volumetric shapes).

OsirisBlack

Banned
Crytek's tralucency map based skin shading. It actually captures back lighting tansluceny unlike purely screen space based techniques (basically every game ever).

THe ears:
earsayaan.png

That was very impressive RAD is using similar techniques as light realistically passes through objects in game to include character skin.

rQt2WjM.png

The tech in the Order 1886 is pretty impressive

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020162/Crafting-a-Next-Gen-Material

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/07/crafting-next-gen-material-pipeline-for.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wIgmEch1P8

That was very impressive RAD is using similar techniques as light realistically passes through objects in game to include character skin.

rQt2WjM.png

The tech in the Order 1886 is pretty impressive

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020162/Crafting-a-Next-Gen-Material

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/07/crafting-next-gen-material-pipeline-for.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wIgmEch1P8

Naughty Dog included sub-surface scattering since Uncharted 2 after they saw Nvidia head tech demo.

Oh a doubtful person will ask for links:

http://lousodrome.net/blog/light/tag/screen-space-sub-surface-scattering/

http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2010/index.html

Download the Uncharted 2: Character Lighting and Shading PDF.

pottuvoi

Banned
I was talking about the shadow being projected from the flashlight when it hits an object.
Pretty sure flashlight shadows use shadowmaps as well.
Can you give me a link to the specifics of this technique? I have yet to see it in action the PS4 version of TLOU.
It's in ps3 version as well. (although very low resolution and selected scenes only.)
http://youtu.be/qxLJoI16JjU?t=11m41s

Idea is to render ligt view of the scene like in shadowmap, but you render albedo and normal as well.
Using the information you create lot of pointlights into the scene. (you can handle them as normal lights, but you can easily end up with tens of visible lights per pixel, so usually low-res buffer is used.)
Search instant radiosity, virtual point lights (VPL) and reflective shadowmaps and you should get better explanations. ;)

This doesn't seem. Clouds in Driveclub use Simu Truesky which is a very advanced sky system that handles clouds very realistically in a way that can affect gameplay. For example, the clouds hide the sun for a fertain time and they move making dynamic shadows, and when they expose the sun suddenly you get blinded or dazzled by its beams and you can't drive very well. It can alter stealth games gameplay too: http://simul.co/

You can see driveclub in their site and now they support UE4 too.

Perlin noise is the algorithm used to generate volumetric cloud structures. Weather the brand behind the slouds is Truesky or not, they almost certainly used perlin noise to generate the cloud structure. Its the primary method for VFX clouds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-lZvKHgTKs

I heard from a steam friend that Sierra and Lucas Arts are revived and they are coming back slowly. Any news about that? I was very interested in that Indian Jones game that used DMM (Digital Molecular Matter) for realistic destruction (yes it had a better version than the simplistic version of Star Wars The Force Unleashed)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJDInk1NXQ

The tech demo was nice, sadly the final game wasn't that advanced in that domain with no shards and debris like that , just big chunks of wood getting broken and disappear later. I watched a longer live presentation of DMM at Games Convention in 2007 or 2008 in the same scene with R2D2 breaking crystlas and bending metal so realistically and dinosaur bones breaking too. In Star Wars, you can use the force to open metal doors by bending them but it looked very limited and almost scripted or animated.

Crytek's tralucency map based skin shading. It actually captures back lighting tansluceny unlike purely screen space based techniques (basically every game ever).

THe ears:
earsayaan.png

While the results are impressive, a map based approach like this leads to artifacts and 'faked' results., ie notice the backlit nostril. An approach we used in VFX not long ago was point cloud sss, which while still an approx, considered the density of the geometry and direction of light, and was relatively cheap.

Naughty Dog included sub-surface scattering since Uncharted 2 after they saw Nvidia head tech demo.

Oh a doubtful person will ask for links:

http://lousodrome.net/blog/light/tag/screen-space-sub-surface-scattering/

http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2010/index.html

Download the Uncharted 2: Character Lighting and Shading PDF.

Yeah,but the modek actually used in game is not very accurate at all. Much like screen based/SH warpping techniques.

While the results are impressive, a map based approach like this leads to artifacts and 'faked' results., ie notice the backlit nostril. An approach we used in VFX not long ago was point cloud sss, which while still an approx, considered the density of the geometry and direction of light, and was relatively cheap.
IMO, something which can be covered with clever art. Much better to have some back lighting then none at all.

Yeah the woman's nostril in the game doens't look as if it even existwhen it missed the correct lighting ,it looked like a 2D cartoon nose in some times and angles. I think only Marius got the biggest focus.

Top Bottom