• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

Mascot

Had to buy around 75 VW Golfs in FM3 and around 100 whatever-the-first-class-F-car-is in FM4 last night and now I'm good to go in both of those. It didn't take long once I got into the rinse-repeat rhythm of click-left-left-click-click-click. Around ten seconds per car I think.

It was interesting going back and playing FM3 again though. The resolution and aliasing looked a lot worse than I ever remembered (no doubt heightened by playing a lot of pCARS on PS4 recently) but I'd forgotten about the very noticeable pop-in and LoD on things like spectator flags and foliage. The physics when the cars jump briefly on Montserrat was very basic too. It's still a solid game but you forget how much progress has been made in the intervening years.

I did get the dreaded game-save freeze last night on FM4 as well...

YpoGVbVQz9IAv1uhDlPx0e3Gi9xgZYHjj1XK13wrdtc=w1092-h615-no

Restarting the game showed my career progress had regressed even more. This grid was over 95% ticked at one point.

indosmoke

Exactly, it's just the direction they took it, but there is no way people can claim it to look natural and not 'gamey' it still looks great, but it doesn't look real.

At the end of the day it's all about choosing the appropriate words. Some say gamey or cartoony, whatever that means. I also think Forza never looked as photorealistic as some other games, but I couldn't care less. There is nothing "off" about it, it's just different. Nothing to do with looking realistic or not. It pleases my eyes just as much as other racers, and I am SO glad all games don't look exactly the same.
What I do like about Forza (compared to some other racers) is the "consistent" look. Especially on XB1, you can tell the same care is applied to cars, tracks/environments, and surroundings (and sound, but this is a different topic). That consistency added to the rock-solid 60 fps make a very enjoyable experience.

On a side note, photorealism and realism are two different things. Again it's a choice of words.

flashmouth

Neo Member
I remember downloading the FM3 demo with Camino the day it was released and playing the shit out of it. When FM4 came out, I got bored by career mode quick and decided to pick up FM3 for cheap, because I liked it better. Man, the driving physics felt so dull after FM4, big step up. Going back from 5 to 4 or even 3 just for rewards points, I think I couldn't do that for more than minutes.

Glomby

No word on the amount but we know that Nurburgring will have rain and over 500 puddles.

No I don't.

Silverstone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52LD-N4QUVs
Spa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwgpkeTtXaw
Nurburgring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cGAGWaPC8Y
Long Beach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lez5Hdkg6c

I think other racers look too dull, especially during day time.

Skip to 2:10 and look how much closer the color of Forza is to reality than the dull and darker look on Asseto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQsCbs8lWNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIR_21G_hNg
Wow these are great. If you are reading those "gamey" and "catoony" arguments while watching these videos I have to question if people really know how real life lighting looks like compared to movie like lighting.

Most so called photorealistic games look more like movies with fancy color correction instead of real life. Driveclub is a perfect example of that effect. It looks photo realistic but it's no where like real life. It's very desaturated most of the time.

LeBoef

I love this gif, but if there's something T10 can't get right it's the replay feed.

I wish Dan would focus on giving us great replay TV cameras somehow. GT perfected this and has not been surpassed yet IMO.

this is exactly what always strikes me at neogaf. regarding a racing game, the last thing i want the devs to do is: put any effort in replays, photomode or stuff that happens besides tracks

:D

this is exactly what always strikes me at neogaf. regarding a racing game, the last thing i want the devs to do is: put any effort in replays, photomode or stuff that happens besides tracks

Because of that one guy they hired whose speciality is replays and track building? And if he spends too long on replays we'll get just one track.

Well, we're talking about Forza here. It tries to be a great experience for every gamer, sim-guy, racing fan and car fanatic out there. Turn 10 knows how broad their audience is and tries not to forget any of their fans while trying to be inclusive to even more types of players. I remember Dan Greeenawalt talking about how so many Forza players in France are female - that was when the Xbox One launched - and this year they have a female driver model for the first time.
I applaud that philosophy, even if it comes with compromises. I just wish they'd be more transparent about what they don't simulate (yet), but Microsoft overall seems to be on a good way in terms of transparency, so we'll see.

Anyway, I don't think it's a GAF-racing-thing, it's that we are talking about Forza and not iRacing. Go to the PC racing sims threads and 97% of people want improved simulation of car- and track physics first and don't really care about visuals (fake edit: actually iRacing looks really dated at the moment, so probably a lot of pc sim guys want better graphics for that game too now).

Forza 6 OMGGGG

Amazon Biggest pre-order uplifts following E3 2015

Forza Motorsport 6 - 1005%
Star Wars Battlefront - 857%
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege - 690%
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 488%
Fallout 4 - 467%
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - 382%
Halo 5: Guardians - 344%
Assassin's Creed Syndicate - 243%
Madden NFL 16 - 136%
FIFA 16 - 76%

Trup1aya

Wow these are great. If you are reading those "gamey" and "catoony" arguments while watching these videos I have to question if people really know how real life lighting looks like compared to movie like lighting.

Most so called photorealistic games look more like movies with fancy color correction instead of real life. Driveclub is a perfect example of that effect. It looks photo realistic but it's no where like real life. It's very desaturated most of the time.

Man, before watching those videos, I'd say you are crazy, but now I say you are exactly right...

What we tend to consider photorealistic in gaming is actually more akin to how a film or photograph would look like after a ton of post-processing...

Forza looks like raw camera footage... DriveClub looks like a racing movie... Both look awesome, but to say Forza looks cartoony or less grounded in 'realism' is simply false...

Jamesways

But those videos lack showing the cars racing on the tracks.
To me, the colors and lighting off the cars is what gives FM a less than photorealistic look.

I've never seen a screenshot of cars from FM and thought it was real life, it always looks like a videogame to me.

Not saying that's a terrible thing, but photorealistic is never a term I'd use for any FM game.

Edit- However, this shot from the other thread, fucking amazing!

saladine1

Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear sacking made Forza 6 a better game, says Dan Greenawalt

"I think [Clarkson's sacking] allowed us to open up new experiences to the player," he told us. "It allowed us to take a step back and say, ‘What were the Top Gear personalities adding to our game? Was it adding Top Gear or was it adding levity and personality, character and interesting stories?’

"That allowed us to start thinking about adding other personalities like Mark Skaife and other professional drivers.

Mark Skaife?

More Aussie content for the win!

Azzawon

Interesting point from Dan. I thought in Forza 5 that the comments about car categories seemed a bit cheesy and 'tacked on', but with the way the FM6 career is headed I can see this working much better. Of course, they'll have people like Mark Skaife talking about V8 Supercars, and maybe more personalities for NASCAR, WTCC, BTCC etc. :)

But those videos lack showing the cars racing on the tracks.
To me, the colors and lighting off the cars is what gives FM a less than photorealistic look.

I've never seen a screenshot of cars from FM and thought it was real life, it always looks like a videogame to me.

Not saying that's a terrible thing, but photorealistic is never a term I'd use for any FM game.

Edit- However, this shot from the other thread, fucking amazing!

I've always loved that Hunter Green color on sports cars and race cars. So dope.

zorbsie

What is this about?

It's a loyalty bonus above what you would get with Forza rewards. I'll quote the section:

CAR COLLECTOR BONUS

Finally, you will also receive an in-game credits bonus for the number of cars in your garage in each of the following titles on Xbox 360: Forza Motorsport 3, Forza Motorsport 4, Forza Horizon, and on Xbox One: Forza Motorsport 5 and Forza Horizon 2.

For each game with 50 - 199 cars in your garage, you’ll receive 100,000 in-game credits.
For each game with 200 - 299 cars in your garage, you’ll receive 1,000,000 in-game credits.
For each game with 300 or more cars in your garage, you’ll receive 5,000,000 in-game credits.

That’s as many as 25,000,000 in-game credits to start your Forza Motorsport 6 career!

I was pretty close to 300 in most of those anyways so I went all in. :)

leeh

Not sure if anyone wants it, but here's the longer (and much larger) version of that .gif I had posted.

VigilantMadIchneumonfly.gif
Well I was going to reply on this page saying I follow the "Forza looks like a game" mantra.

After seeing that GIF, no. That's probably one of the most RL looking gif's of racing I've seen from a game.

Also, booooo @ Nascar. Not a fan. Sorry, I'm from the UK.

shinnn

The more I read forums, the more I think people make their opinions based on internet rather what they are playing at home... or living.

The sun is too bright.. the cars looks like plastic.

Mascot

Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't that be something a good game designer thinks about before they're forced into the situation? Don't put something in because you can't think of a reason to leave it out... put something in because you can think of a reason it should be there.

Good point..! I often thought it was a case of "Woo hoo...! We've got the Top Gear licence off Polyphony! Now what the hell do we do with it..?"

SystemBug

The more I read forums, the more I think people make their opinions based on internet rather what they are playing at home... or living.

The sun is too bright.. the cars looks like plastic.

Yeah I kinda loled when the people were complaining about the blinding sun in Forza 5. It's like have you guys been in a car before?

FordGTGuy

Banned
Mark Skaife, Matt Farah, Richard Hammond, Tanner Foust and James May are the names I've heard for voices in Forza 6... wonder how much more they will get?

Wouldn't doubt if we saw Adam Carolla talk for some of the cars he owns that they scanned.

It would be amazing if they could get Dan Gurney and Sir Jackie Stewart.

BADNED

Also, playing RaceRoom today made me think, is Macau still a WTCC track? It's a pretty awesome track and I'd love for it to be one of the remaining five to fit in with the WTCC content.
Yes it is still a WTCC track and as far as I know Sector 3 still holds the exclusive rights to it like they do for Pau!

Mark Skaife?

More Aussie content for the win!
You do know that Skaife has been an Xbox Ambassador for over a decade now!

Good point..! I often thought it was a case of "Woo hoo...! We've got the Top Gear licence off Polyphony! Now what the hell do we do with it..?"
That license makes more sense for the Horizon games. Hell it makes even more sense for a game like The Crew, with even more craziness (Monster trucks, huge world to recreate Top Gear challenges, etc).

I appreciate it for the Top Gear test track though, and the voice work.

Exactly, it's just the direction they took it, but there is no way people can claim it to look natural and not 'gamey' it still looks great, but it doesn't look real.
Yeah, Forza has never looked realistic to me, but that's OK. Its a very clean, saturated look.

FordGTGuy

Banned
The video confirmed that Le Mans will have rain.

I would love to have that Xbox One and controller but I can't afford it. D:

Anyone wanna buy a day one Xbox One for $399? :p

Shaneus

Pretty much. As evidenced by a "motorsport" game having that dreadful car soccer thing.

That license makes more sense for the Horizon games. Hell it makes even more sense for a game like The Crew, with even more craziness (Monster trucks, huge world to recreate Top Gear challenges, etc).

I appreciate it for the Top Gear test track though, and the voice work.
I also think it would work for DC, because it's focus is only the driving and none of the customisation that FM has always been known for. I reckon The Crew (from your description) would almost be better suited to commentary/influence from someone like Ken Block or Travis Pastrana.

IMO I think Horizon set its focus slightly too young with the whole music festival thing. Or at least make it a music festival with bands that late 20s-early 30s could enjoy rather than the FLUORO EVERYTHING/nightclub aesthetic. But that's just me.

Yeah, Forza has never looked realistic to me, but that's OK. Its a very clean, saturated look.
My brother said to me (about FM4) that the cars in Autovista whilst looking realistic, still kinda had a plasticy/toy-like look to them. It looks to be somewhat similar in FM6 (although obviously it's improved massively) but I'm thinking now it's more a design choice, which I'm completely cool with. Almost like the car equivalent of someone being airbrushed after a photoshoot, if that makes sense.
But again, not a knock on the game look at all. I quite like it but there was always a little niggle I had with it.

Menus are now looking awesome, too.

Forza 6 Limited Edition Console was just announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah-QqWEWVFs

xboxone_console_nokinect_anl_boxshot_rgb.png
Well, shit.

It looks to be somewhat similar in FM6 (although obviously it's improved massively) but I'm thinking now it's more a design choice, which I'm completely cool with. Almost like the car equivalent of someone being airbrushed after a photoshoot, if that makes sense.
That's without a doubt the best way I've read somebody describe the style. Its car fantasy realism, in terms of visuals.

Top Bottom