• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elios83

Sirolf said:
Exactly the price i've preordered and the same date :D
You have very good sources Elios !
Now GT5 in december ;)....

Aaha you're an early buyer :lol :lol I'd love to buy it too, but it's still 300€ for something I already own and without the PS2 BC I don't want to get rid of my launch 60GB although I confess I'm a bit tired of the huge size, noise and heat the thing produces, especially in summer :/
But how did they let you pre-order it? I mean, they're already telling people it's coming and can pre-order it because they have no stock left for the old model or you have friends in the store? :D

As for GT5, we'll probably find out at the Games Con. I'm not hoping for a 2009 release but I guess there are enough hints they want the game out by the end of the fiscal year in March.

Any news on what the differences between the Slim vs Fat are, barring the obvious form factor? Anything special on the Slim such as card reader ports, SACD or PS2 backwards compatibility etc..?

spwolf

Elios83 said:
Yes like I said in July my retail source confirmed the price it's 299€ and it's officially coming on September 2 (although unofficially it could be available in stores a week earlier).
Old stock has already been mostly cleared at the old price as it would cost too much money to Sony to sell huge amounts of 80GBs at 299€, so the strategy of keeping a different price for the two different models a few people were considering here has no sense at this point, there's simply not enough stock and too much money to lose to do it. Basically it's new model and price in a matter of weeks and that should be it :p

:lol

this needs to be quoted million times over

Sirolf

Elios83 said:
But how did they let you pre-order it? I mean, they're already telling people it's coming and can pre-order it because they have no stock left for the old model or you have friends in the store? :D
Yes i know someone but he was not here yesterday.
I simply asked the store clerk about the slim and BAM date and price!! :lol (But he was trying to sell me one of the fat PS3 packs)
I will have to pay a small amount for the preorder in the next week or two.

:lol
this needs to be quoted million times over

299 EUROS CAN'T BE TRUEEEEEEEEEEE....

noah111

Still Alive
wackojackosnose said:
Any news on what the differences between the Slim vs Fat are, barring the obvious form factor? Anything special on the Slim such as card reader ports, SACD or PS2 backwards compatibility etc..?
Basically nothing is different from the current 80GB models, 2 USB ports, no card readers, etc. Though there have been rumors that linux will no longer be supported as an alternative OS, but nothing concrete.

onken

wackojackosnose said:

According to rumors it will match all features on the current 80GB (except otherOS, bizarrely), so no to all of those things.

Xenomorph

Banned
Isn't the rumor that it will have a large hard drive though? (80+) I remember seeing the most "reliable" rumor was that it's just a PS3 but smaller, and had a larger hard drive but everything else was pretty much exactly the same?

Xenomorph said:
Isn't the rumor that it will have a large hard drive though? (80+) I remember seeing the most "reliable" rumor was that it's just a PS3 but smaller, and had a larger hard drive but everything else was pretty much exactly the same?

120GB is what is shown on the box from that Manufacturer. Sony said they upgraded the 40GB to 80GB because it cost them roughly the same, so maybe they can get 120GB HDD's now for the same price.

spwolf

Xenomorph said:

we need to separate rumors from stuff that we really know... yes, box shots said 120 GB but lets wait and see. Some people are now pushing rumors as fact.

Right now we know it is coming and we are pretty sure that it is going to be 299. Everything else is speculation.

Damn, kinda blows if it really is just the PS3 in a smaller form factor. I was hoping for a slight upgrade with this "re-release". Guess I might just pickup whatever is cheaper on the day then.

Thanks for the answers though.

Xenomorph

Banned
Sounds pretty legit to me. 120 HD, $300, released at the end of August/Early September? I know it's speculation, but this isn't wild and crazy ranting here. It's an educated guess.

noah111

Still Alive
Xenomorph said:
Sounds pretty legit to me. 120 HD, $300, released at the end of August/Early September? I know it's speculation, but this isn't wild and crazy ranting here. It's an educated guess.
Nobody said it would be $300, at this point it seems like it will be $400 due to the fact that all evidence is suggesting a 299€ release.

Not sure if they would have a single SKU out there, at 120GB for $400... perhaps multiple slim SKUs, because it seems highly unlikely they'll continue manufacturing 80GB/160GB phat SKUs.

It's very unlike Sony to have a single model.

Xenomorph

Banned
It would be totally worthless for Sony to take out a couple features out just for a $400 dollar SKU. All rumors point to the all important '$300' price point at the very least. Another Christmas without a price drop would be suicide as well. I expect the $300 slim, and a new 80 or 120 GB "fat" at a slightly reduced price with a new bundled game. Hell they are going to make the price cut, they already released the $400 Kz2, MGS4 bundle. I think they got a little room to make the price cut at a 70% reduction of the cost of parts.

panda21

Sentry said:
Nobody said it would be $300, at this point it seems like it will be $400 due to the fact that all evidence is suggesting a 299€ release.

Not sure if they would have a single SKU out there, at 120GB for $400... perhaps multiple slim SKUs, because it seems highly unlikely they'll continue manufacturing 80GB/160GB phat SKUs.

europe always gets shafted

Ettie

I can't remember a time when the new hot thing debuted at a cheaper price. I'm sure it has been done, I just can't remember it. I think Sony will capitalize on the reduced production cost, and initially sell the thing at 400 with the 120gb HD. Once the honeymoon is over, they'll have room for a price cut to get our attention again.

supermackem said:
Dont you need a card to even get in those stores lol, but it does point to something on the way with all these price cuts.

You can pay like 50p or something like that for a day pass I'm sure.

spwolf

Sentry said:

wtf? 299 Euros = 299 USD.

gkryhewy

Ettenra said:
I can't remember a time when the new hot thing debuted at a cheaper price.
I think "hot" might be unduly optimistic, although I'm sure sony hopes so. In this case, the entire purpose of the device is to inject some interest into a mature product that's ice cold, which is a little different from most such re-releases. Maybe unprecedented.

Xenomorph

Banned
gkrykewy said:
I think "hot" might be unduly optimistic, although I'm sure sony hopes so. In this case, the entire purpose of the device is to inject some interest into a mature product that's ice cold, which is a little different from most such re-releases. Maybe unprecedented.

Joke post? Price reduction is not only good for the consumer, but good for company image.

Xenomorph said:
Joke post? Price reduction is not only good for the consumer, but good for company image.

Yeah, it takes away one of the big moans about the PS3, the high price. For €299 the PS3 is pure value. Wifi, free online gaming, Blu-Ray, large HDD all as standard. Stack that up with the titles its got out at the moment and the upcoming releases, and its a freaking steal.

spwolf

gkrykewy said:

actually, i would guess that most "re-releases" are done to "re-launch" the product and gain customer awarness, usually when product did not do well in the market. So not only it is not unprecedented, it is reason why it is done :lol

Do you see Wii in new packagine as "re-releasing" product to the market or as continuation of product that did well?

cakefoo

Squash said:
Not trying to nitpick but he shadow on the top left corner of the P seems to be on the wrongside considering the light source.
Sentry said:
Damn a lot happened in this thread while I was gone :lol

Really great mock-ups cakefoo, since the beginning. The tray area still doesn't look like that shiny black plastic though, but other than that it's spot on from what we know.. though have we ever seen a picture showing the on/off/disc LED indicators yet? From what I remember there's never been a shot of them, would be odd if they weren't on there though.
I think I fixed both:
mockup_matte_2x-30.jpg

noah111

Still Alive
cakefoo said:
I think I fixed both:
:lol Oh you!

Seriously, you'll never be finished with this mock-up, lol. If GamesCom wasn't in just a little over a week i'm sure you would've come up with a 3D mock-up. :D

Loudninja

Elios83 said:
Sony hasn't been manufacturing the fat model for months, probably since April/May when the Slim production started.
They have just been getting rid of their warehouse stock while stockpiling the new model. At this point, at least here in Italy, PS3s are available only through leftovers of old bundles which are being heavily discounted (299€ with games included in a few cases), basically it looks like a dismissed product (and it actually is :p)
Slim is meant to completely replace the fat as soon as it's introduced with a new price.

So did you actually see the PS3 slim? ;)

Well I don't have a PS3, and I am more than keen to bring one home - but with a failing PS2, I know I have to get one of those too, since.. you know. The longer they hold out on both price and BC, the longer I have an excuse. I don't even mind paying more for BC, it just needs to be there.

noah111

Still Alive
Wolves Evolve said:
Well I don't have a PS3, and I am more than keen to bring one home - but with a failing PS2, I know I have to get one of those too, since.. you know. The longer they hold out on both price and BC, the longer I have an excuse. I don't even mind paying more for BC, it just needs to be there.
I don't see what you're waiting for, especially with all those bundle deals which basically puts the PS3 at $299. If BC ever comes, it will come via software not hardware, so buying a system only then seems somewhat pointless. Not sure what the big deal is with BC these days, there are more than enough current-gen titles out there, do people just like replaying their same old games over and over? Or perhaps they simply enjoy the option being there even if they don't really use it..

Cruzader

Banned
Wolves Evolve said:

I might sell my MGS4 80GB ver. so you should be keeping your eyes on the buy/sell thread.

Sentry said:
I don't see what you're waiting for, especially with all those bundle deals which basically puts the PS3 at $299. If BC ever comes, it will come via software not hardware, so buying a system only then seems somewhat pointless. Not sure what the big deal is with BC these days, there are more than enough current-gen titles out there, do people just like replaying their same old games over and over? Or perhaps they simply enjoy the option being there even if they don't really use it..

I don't mean to be rude, but surely it must occur to you that if I am waiting for BC, that no, there are not enough current-gen games to my liking, and that I do just like replaying their same old games over and over? Its my professional opinion (lol) that game design last generation was more interesting than it is now for boxed retail games with a few standout exceptions.

So while I want to join the party, I want my (checks) 121 PS2 games to have a ongoing home. I don't want to get rid of them. I think of them like my DVDs and music collection. I bought them to have them. Not to consume them and excrete them.

Protip: there are lots of people like me.

jsnepo

Wolves Evolve said:
So while I want to join the party, I want my (checks) 121 PS2 games to have a ongoing home. I don't want to get rid of them. I think of them like my DVDs and music collection. I bought them to have them. Not to consume them and excrete them.

Signed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
H_Prestige said:
You should try putting up a fat ps3 side by side with the mock up to get an idea of how much smaller this thing is.

Any size comparison at this stage will be a guesstimate. We did some estimating earlier in the thread but it's sort of hard to do accurately for all dimensions given the perspective of the shots etc. The biggest reduction seems to have been in height (thickness) and that's the hardest to show without head on side shots etc.

NRiQ

Banned
I just really want to know why sony changed the font...they have been using 4 differents types of fonts in this cycle, what is wrong with their designers...

5nuet4.png

noah111

Still Alive
Wolves Evolve said:
I don't mean to be rude, but surely it must occur to you that if I am waiting for BC, that no, there are not enough current-gen games to my liking, and that I do just like replaying their same old games over and over? Its my professional opinion (lol) that game design last generation was more interesting than it is now for boxed retail games with a few standout exceptions.

I see :lol If there aren't enough current-gen games for you then you might as well stick to your PS2 (as a main system) and continue replaying the old games, since there certainly aren't many hits still pumping. My point was that if BC will come it will come via software, why hold back on all the great titles there will be until BC is introduced? I still play some old games from time to time, but it wouldn't kill me if I couldn't.. and if it did then that is a sign that I should have a dedicated system for all those other games.

BC is quite overrated at this point, I don't think as many people really care as is thought. While it's an advantage (kisses original 60GB launch unit) it certainly isn't holding back mass sales or anything like that. And again, it comes when it comes, and when it does you probably won't need to buy a new piece of hardware for it.

Totally get where you're coming from but if it means that much to you guys then $99 is nothing.

gofreak said:
Any size comparison at this stage will be a guesstimate. We did some estimating earlier in the thread but it's sort of hard to do accurately for all dimensions given the perspective of the shots etc. The biggest reduction seems to have been in height (thickness) and that's the hardest to show without head on side shots etc.
The estimates you and cakefoo did early in the thread were pretty spot on from the looks of it, if you do the correct estimations it isn't too hard to come up with nearly exact measurements for the thickness and even the height, especially with the newer shots from the game store.

It could be done, but at this point it's worthless since GC is only a week or so away. :D

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I doubt the PS3 will be sold for 300, more like 350, if not at the same price.

This might be a bit of a long shot, but I noticed during a video for Batman: Arkham Asylum a bunch of blurred out pieces of hardware at Rocksteady Studios.

Some of it looks a bit like that PS3 Slim design people have been talking about:

25u14s8.jpg

There's also a bunch of blurred out stuff that might be the waggle wand, but that looks a bit like the Slim.

Grasping at straws, or that could be it?

Schrade

Vinterbird said:
This might be a bit of a long shot, but I noticed during a video for Batman: Arkham Asylum a bunch of blurred out pieces of hardware at Rocksteady Studios.

Some of it looks a bit like that PS3 Slim design people have been talking about:

[img ]http://i29.tinypic.com/25u14s8.jpg[/img]

There's also a bunch of blurred out stuff that might be the waggle wand, but that looks a bit like the Slim.

Grasping at straws, or that could be it?
360 Controllers and a Black 360 Development unit perhaps.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sentry said:
The estimates you and cakefoo did early in the thread were pretty spot on from the looks of it, if you do the correct estimations it isn't too hard to come up with nearly exact measurements for the thickness and even the height, especially with the newer shots from the game store.

It could be done, but at this point it's worthless since GC is only a week or so away. :D

I think the width and height were fairly decent estimates...but my own initial depth estimates are probably WAY off. I think it's probable there hasn't been much change to the depth vs the current unit.

But yeah, we'll see :p

Schrade said:
360 Controllers and a Black 360 Development unit perhaps.

Could very much be, but I wouldn't understand the need to blur it out of a video then. It's not like we don't know what the system looks like since people own it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom