• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| July 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnfout

Watched Back To The Future again..

This script is so on point it fucking hurts. Every scene is funny, every scene is needed, every scene adds something to the movie. The dialog is great, the non-verbal communication is fantastic. Its such a fun story comprised of great characters, just a masterfully fun ride.

On top of that it still looks great (although the make-up) was not made with bluray in mind.

One of my all time favorites.

big ander

I just saw Fucking Amal. Don't know how I missed this gem. I liked it quite a bit more than Lilya 4-Ever, a movie I felt lacked a compelling theme outside of depicting pre-destined hopelessness. In contrast, this was a pitch perfect glance into the confusion of falling in love for the first time, which avoided being cliche in large part due to the incredible performances of its two teenage leads. It also has one of the greatest on-screen kisses of all time. Fantastic film: 8/10.

such a wonderful final scene with the chocolate milk. Together is just as good. We Are the Best! and Mammoth are also absolutely worth watching. A Hole in my Heart sucks bad

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Guess I've got a new movie to watch, because I haven't been able to get Double Indemnity out of my head since I saw it.

Double Indemnity...jesus, what a movie. I had never heard of it until i saw it cited in Manhattan Murder Mystery by Woody Allen and thought "bloody hell what a dialogue, im gonna find it"

Added to my list of need-to-watch-movies. I haven't seen any DePalma's actually, besides M:I...

I loathe De Palma but some of his movies are indeed good: Carlito, Scarface, Blow Out, and most of all Redacted, possibly the most underrated and most controversial movie about the Iraq war ever made

On Wilder, I don't see mentions for Witness for the prosecution and Ace in the hole. So here it is: Witness for the prosecution and Ace in the hole.

I just saw Fucking Amal. Don't know how I missed this gem. I liked it quite a bit more than Lilya 4-Ever, a movie I felt lacked a compelling theme outside of depicting pre-destined hopelessness. In contrast, this was a pitch perfect glance into the confusion of falling in love for the first time, which avoided being cliche in large part due to the incredible performances of its two teenage leads. It also has one of the greatest on-screen kisses of all time. Fantastic film: 8/10.

Fucking Amal can never get recommended enough. Best surprise I had last year with Funeral parade of roses.

While We're Young

Definitely the Baumbach film I've liked the least, of which I have seen. The climax is a bit dumb. How could Stiller's character be a documentary filmmaker and yet be so shocked at the notion of someone staging something?

The Toll of the Sea (Restored Version)

So that's what Technicolor looked like in the early 1920s. As for the film itself, it was good and tragic. A valuable lesson came from this movie:
never fall in love with someone you save for the sea

Currygan

On Wilder, I don't see mentions for Witness for the prosecution and Ace in the hole. So here it is: Witness for the prosecution and Ace in the Hole

oh yes. Witness is another grand masterpiece. You really can't go wrong with golden era Wilder

Run%20All%20Night.jpg

" I'm coming after your boy with everything I've got. "

A prolific hitman Jimmy Conlon(Liam Neeson) path's cross with his bestfriend Mob boss Shawn Maguire(Ed Harris) after Shawn's son does some dumbass shit that turns everything sour. If there is one thing that this movie showed is that Ed Harris still has a fantastic presence on screen and it made me more excited for HBO's upcoming show, Westworld. The movie is definitely one of Liam's best since Taken 1, great action and good performances throughout with characters that you care for. Some of the fast cuts are annoying(new action films should get away from that shit) but thankfully it's not much and way, way less than Taken 3. Infact, this is what Taken 3 wishes it could be. What a mess that movie was. It shares many similarities with Road to Perdition and while that movie is far superior, this one is still good.

My internet was out for 3 days. It was so scary.

Anyways, I got to see some stuff. Mostly rewatches.

In The Bedroom. For some reason I thought Tomei would hava a bigger role. Some of it was pretty predictable, but good enough thanks to Tom Wilkinson and Sissy Spacek. Good acting from those two. 7/10

Rewatches:

Clueless. A lot weaker than I expected. I didn't remember as much as I thought I did. It lacked focus and was too much of a cartoon sometimes. 6/10
Mean Girls. Mean Girls>Clueless. 7/10
Bridesmaids. It relies a lot on awkward humor, and some of it tries too hard, but fuck it, I enjoyed it. 6/10
Avatar. The action's good, but all the meh in it brings it down. 6/10

Let's drift.
CJVH_REWsAALEs6.jpg

Slow West
Darkly comic, dreamlike, and bittersweet western. Lush cinematography by Robbie Ryan, which is helped by the stunning landscapes that aren't just monochrome deserts but forests, purple, and yellow fields. It was shot in Scotland and New Zealand (which makes me excited for my trip to Scotland in september). Fantastic cast from Kodi Smit-McPhee and Michael Fassbender to the always great Ben Mendelsohn.

It was cool to see Caren Pistorius be a badass.
o40SmlJ.jpg

It's kind of weird that the finale shootout has a really funny, almost slapstick joke in it
(rubbing salt in the wound)
. Very impressive for a debut feature.

Really liked Slow West too, but I kept being distracted by its New Zealandness.

Shout out to Ben Mendelsohn's coat in that movie. I like to think he saw Bane's look in the Dark Knight Rises and figured he'd one-up him

ben-mendelsohn-dark-knight-rises.jpg

sundance-benm-slowwest.jpg

(I totally forgot Ben Mendelsohn was in the DKR)

Shout out to Ben Mendelsohn's coat in that movie. I like to think he saw Bane's look in the Dark Knight Rises and figured he'd one-up him

That coat was GOAT! Props to the costume designer, Kirsty Cameron.

Past shit from last month I didn't post about:

A Field In England - Real strange. had a nice Lynchian feel to it. Story was secondary but still damn good. 8/10
Love & Mercy - Brian Wilson of the Beach Boy biopic. Not usually one for biopics but the story had a nice focus and the sound editing is amazing. Paul Dano is amazing and Cusack was good too. 7/10
Dog Day Afternoon - Attica! Attica! Must see film. 8/10
The Wolfpack - Interesting doc about a family who keeps their children locked in their NYC apartment. One leaves and the others begin to go out as well. This is not fiction. Drags a bit at the end but pretty crazy story. 6/10
Sightseers - Dark comedy about a man and his girlfreind who go sightseeing and
kill people
. Found this pretty bland and not all that funny. Some nice
kills though
. 5/10
Network - Love me some Sidney Lumet. Amazing film that's really stood the test of time. 9/10
First Blood (rewatch) - It's been a while since I watched Stallone fuck up some asshole cops while having Nam flashbacks. ACAB 6/10
All This Mayhem - Doc about the skateboarding Aussie Pappas brothers. I remember watching them skate at the X-games when I was a kid and into skateboarding. This doc has a lot of criticism of ESPN and Tony Hawk but is mostly another story about how drug use can destroys lives. 8/10

Up to date stuff:

Alice - Jan Svankmajer's adaptation of Alice in Wonderland. Ok, I'll get the bad out of the way first... The close up to Alice's mouth to do narration for every character other than herself was annoying as fuck. "blah, blah, blah... said the white rabbit", "blah blah blah... shouted the queen of hearts". Every time a close up to her lips saying it. Also, it's only dubbed on Netflix so the lip movements and the dub track are off sync which is incredibly annoying. The kid actress who plays Alice is kind of awkward too. Ok... the use of stop motion animation in this film is so awesome. I would've love watching this as a kid because I was a huge fan of stop motion as a child. The story is pretty bizarre visually and a bit on the dark side for a film intended for children which I really dug. Really wish the Queen of Hearts showed up earlier because things get real strange when she shows up but the film is pretty well paced. 6/10

A Simple Plan (rewatch) - I haven't watched this one in a long time and was in the mood to watch a noirish thriller. As the title suggests a simple plan that of course goes wrong. Fun little story about people getting in over their heads and eventually paying the price. Superb cast and I love me some Sam Raimi. What happens when you open up Pandora's Box?
A bunch of people die.
8/10

Ridley327

What happens when you get a bunch of Godzilla regulars and a Bond girl together to make a goofy little send-up at the height of Bondmania? It would look a little something like Ironfinger, a messy but charming spoof that makes up for its at-times drastic lack of budget with inventiveness that helps amplify the campy trappings without feeling too overtly satisfied with itself, culminating in a bonkers finale that features what must surely be heat-seeking exploding oil drums. As I mentioned, there are a ton of Godzilla regulars in here, and all of them seem to be happy to be working on something that doesn't require them to spend most of the film looking up at something that isn't there, but they're mostly having a ton of fun in their roles, delighting in all the fun toys they get to play with as well as finding reasons to wear a little clothing as possible, including an especially bizarre interlude involving scuba gear that never makes it to the water. The plot has a bit of a weird pause that comes about two thirds of the way in that makes it feel like the movie resets itself, and with the film taking on as many languages as it does, having English-speaking actors being directed by people with little grasp for the language can make certain exchanges a bit painful, but it's hard to knock it too much as it succeeds at being a fun trifle that does plenty of wacky things over the course of 90 minutes to keep you entertained.

I find him attractive.

Caode

Just watched Ex Machina. Holy shit is that a mind fuck. Alicia Vikander is damn fine too, don't blame the poor guy one bit. I didn't really see it coming if i'm being honest. So props for that. I also enjoyed how it ended, it wasn't drawn out or overdone, it was simple and effective.

Movie was awesome and a must watch imo for sure.

Best
dance scene in recent years

Apt101

I rewatched the Burton/Keaten Batman for the first time in well over a decade. Better than I remembered. Lord Kim Basinger had no business being that hot.

Inside Out

All the stuff to do with the girl, her family and how it's all processed was great. Sadness was the best for sure, anger was fun too. Bing Bong can get fucked tho, director pulled another Up and dragged a promising concept down with an excuse to sell more toys. As a result the middle act really drags and the jokes don't really hit either whenever that waste is on screen. But the first and last act were nice. Oh and dear god that opening short was WOAT-tier

big ander

Welp, they closed The Dissolve

fuck movies

Yeah, this sucks. It was a great mix of popcrit and down-the-rabbit-hole close analysis and cultural history breakdown. The most readable film site on the internet in its two years. I'm sure all the critics will find other homes, but it's disheartening that a site focused on eliminating listicle-rumormill-bullshit and churning out medium-length articles about gigantic movies and tiny no-name indie VOD genre pictures that didn't even get a word out of festivals can't survive today.

I like other film sties too like The Playlist and Birth.Movies.Death., but it was cool there was a place that wasn't mostly "check out this prop for a Ghostbuster movie you won't see for a year" and "Rumor has it Darth Vader might be in a Star Wars film in 2018 maybe" taking up all the space. Sad thing is this proves you can't run a website on mostly interesting/intelligent film analysis with a bitchin' web layout. :mjcry:

TEJ

I don't know where else to say this...

I feel like i'm losing my passion for watching movies. Even a year ago I was watching a lot of new things at the movie theater, or buying a lot of dvd's and blu rays, or watching stuff on netflix/xbox live/psn/itunes/amazon video services.

I used to watch something every night whether it be new or a rewatch. I don't think it's depression as i'm happier now than I have been in years. Now I maybe watch a movie every two weeks and it's rarely anything new...

I don't understand it. Anyone else here been in a similar situation?

Blader

Welp, they closed The Dissolve

fuck movies

Damn, that sucks. I first caught onto them after reading their great Fritz Lang retrospective, but didn't know it was such a young website.

I don't know where else to say this...

I feel like i'm losing my passion for watching movies. Even a year ago I was watching a lot of new things at the movie theater, or buying a lot of dvd's and blu rays, or watching stuff on netflix/xbox live/psn/itunes/amazon video services.

I used to watch something every night whether it be new or a rewatch. I don't think it's depression as i'm happier now than I have been in years. Now I maybe watch a movie every two weeks and it's rarely anything new...

I don't understand it. Anyone else here been in a similar situation?

It's a hobby. There are peaks and valleys in your interest. Some months I'll watch 20+ movies. Others I'll watch like two or three. You're just a little burned out, that happens.

Jesus, I'm more bummed about TheDissolve now then I was a few hours ago. No other notable movie website is doing weeky discussions/essays/analysis about The Killer or Fritz Lang's M. Anyone else doing One Year Later features, looking at big movies of yesteryear freed from prisoner of the moment hype/hate? Wondering WTF is up with Michael Mann's The Keep? In-depth analysis about Kurosawa's craft and technique in High and Low? With a stylish, sexy-ass layout like this!?

This sucks ass, man. Like if a website like this can't exist in 2015, its only a matter of time before they all turn into /Film or Cinemablend, all interchangeable Pixar ranking lists and leaked photos of Spider-Man stunt doubles on set.

Jb

Red Army (2014)
Absolutely fantastic documentary about the players of the USSR's hockey team in the 80s and 90s. Extremely well directed and a great look at communism & capitalism through the prism of sport. It helps that I knew nothing about hockey, but I really can't recommend it highly enough.

Trey

I know I'm a bit late to Boomerang when I've seen already seen about half the movie through gifs alone. But it's a serviceable romance film that flips the gender dynamic around, which a lesser movie would have done far more messily. The biggest treat was Robin Givens' character being her own woman and not simply a target or a prop for a plot device: her lines were the most effective in the film. She's appropriately seductive and almost always in control, and it shows. I was worried it would come off as more goofy, but the tone managed to stay consistent throughout.

Halle Berry was super cute, even though that voice of her's was an obvious show. Effective though. There were a lot of places this movie could have absolutely disintegrated into a trainwreck, but it navigates the pitfalls and lands mostly upright. Some steam is lost in the predictable and flat ending, but the run up was solid enough to leave the entire movie in the positive.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
If you love movies don't ever get a job. I don't think I'm gonna get anywhere near my usual 300 a year.

Lost River: 2/10. Pointless. https://youtu.be/aktLRiWXfqg
Brewster McCloud: 3/10. How high were people in 1970 to think this was funny.
Splendor in the Grass: 7/10. Warren Beatty was cute as fuck.

Ridley327

Golden Eyes isn't terribly different from its predecessor, Ironfinger, so you're definitely going to get some quality spy spoof goodness. However, what puts it under the first film for me is that it somewhat gets the balance wrong, where it frontloads the craziest scenes right at the beginning, which doesn't leave a lot for the conclusion. What it does put forth as the climax feels a bit out of place, as it's quite a bit more serious in tone from everything else, even though it's actually a pretty cool idea for a showdown on paper. I feel like its biggest error was replacing the actor for Tezuka, whose Jack Webb impersonation doesn't come close to providing the same level of comedy that the original actor achieved with a lot less effort. That being said, it's still a fun film and the wacky stuff that happens in here is a good match of what went down in the first film, especially an uproarious scene involving assassins with baby stroller-mounted machine guns, and the bonkers way that our hero manages to beat them at their own game.

Currygan

watched Mesrine part 1, next is part 2. Vincent Cassel is tremendous but story felt a bit flat, with few moments of brilliance and a distinct sweetened feeling. Not bad, but not great either, hopefully part 2 is more savage 6.5/10

Akahige

Tusk (2014) - The set up isn't bad but quickly turns to shit
when Justin Long is in full on Walrus mode, the make up effects of the Walrus suit just looks bad and Johnny Depp didn't read the script or something because it took him like 5 minutes to get through his little bit of dialogue every time he talked. The long scene of Parks and Depp talking on the porch was torture to watch. At least the movie looked not bad overall, he has clearly hired a better cinematographer then most of his films have.

Not sure what I expected from the film, I knew it would be odd but it's not scary or funny just more unconformable to watch.

Haute Tension - Fairly well-crafted suspense scenes strung along with cliches and stupid action by the lead character, but still well-shot and directed. The movie stops being interesting or worth watching when it tries to be clever and have a twist, though. It's not that the twist doesn't make sense, as many claim, it's just that the craftsmanship behind the suspense scenes are ruined by it, and the movie is no longer worth a rewatch. Sometimes less is more, and Alexandre Aja tried to be too clever for his own good.

Also,
mixing closeted homosexuality with mental illness and psychosis feels gross.

Lead sneaking around a house while a murderer roams around killing everyone and searching for victims > then the murderer kidnapping someone and the lead sneaking into his vehicle > then the murderer stopping at a gas station and the lead having to get inside without alerting him, and then alert the clerk and call the police > then having to follow the killer after he leaves with his victim with a gun > finding out he emptied the gun and having him turn the tables on the lead > final showdown etc. is all a great flow for a horror movie and I wish a Friday the 13th movie would follow this outline. It would be a lot smarter than a typical Friday movie. Too bad the twist ruins the flow and everything preceeding.

Blade Runner - I'd never seen it before, and it was greatly hyped for me. I liked it, but don't think I loved it. Perhaps there was just too much hype surrounding it.

Ridley327

Haute Tension - Fairly well-crafted suspense scenes strung along with cliches and stupid action by the lead character, but still well-shot and directed. The movie stops being interesting or worth watching when it tries to be clever and have a twist, though. It's not that the twist doesn't make sense, as many claim, it's just that the craftsmanship behind the suspense scenes are ruined by it, and the movie is no longer worth a rewatch. Sometimes less is more, and Alexandre Aja tried to be too clever for his own good.

Also,
mixing closeted homosexuality with mental illness and psychosis feels gross.

Lead sneaking around a house while a murderer roams around killing everyone and searching for victims > then the murderer kidnapping someone and the lead sneaking into his vehicle > then the murderer stopping at a gas station and the lead having to get inside without alerting him, and then alert the clerk and call the police > then having to follow the killer after he leaves with his victim with a gun > finding out he emptied the gun and having him turn the tables on the lead > final showdown etc. is all a great flow for a horror movie and I wish a Friday the 13th movie would follow this outline. It would be a lot smarter than a typical Friday movie. Too bad the twist ruins the flow and everything preceeding.

The biggest issue that I have with the twist is that it doesn't hold up from the perspective of making any kind of physical sense. It's not that the film doesn't heavily telegraph that Marie has a few screws loose early on, but it presents too much physical evidence that the only way that the twist could actually work is if she was driving both vehicles at once. The worst part is that was something that could have been fixed with the tiniest rewrite to put Alexia in the back of the car that Marie crashes; that way, you could explain the scars and you put Alexia somewhere that not only makes sense, but also helps drive home just how deluded Marie's hero journey is that she can't see Alexia anywhere else but in the back of that truck.

killatopak

Gold Member
Just watched DB:BoG, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

Nausicaa made me cry a bit and the others were excite fest. 10/10 will watch again.

Jesus, I'm more bummed about TheDissolve now then I was a few hours ago. No other notable movie website is doing weeky discussions/essays/analysis about The Killer or Fritz Lang's M. Anyone else doing One Year Later features, looking at big movies of yesteryear freed from prisoner of the moment hype/hate? Wondering WTF is up with Michael Mann's The Keep? In-depth analysis about Kurosawa's craft and technique in High and Low? With a stylish, sexy-ass layout like this!?

This sucks ass, man. Like if a website like this can't exist in 2015, its only a matter of time before they all turn into /Film or Cinemablend, all interchangeable Pixar ranking lists and leaked photos of Spider-Man stunt doubles on set.

Great post.

SpaceHorror

Birdman - 4/5 - Michael Keaton is damn good.

The Shining - 3.5/5 - Just finished reading the book for the first time, so I decided to rewatch it. Still feel the same way about it, though for the most part the book is much better.

Force Majeure - 5/5 - Probably my favorite film I've seen from 2014 so far. The premise is a great set up for exploring family dynamics and it is surprisingly funny. The ending isn't as strong as the rest of the film, but it is satisfying.

Currygan

Mesrine part 2 is just identical to part 1, quality wise. Good acting, tragic ending, some powerful jail scenes, but ultimately it felt flat and predictable. I thought guy had a more interesting criminal life, it was just...eh. Fat Cassel is a sight to behold though

Blader

After watching all of Bruce Lee's movies the past week, I've come to the conclusion that his extreme popularity is a very convenient case of right place, right time. Not that the guy wasn't skilled as shit, but his movies just aren't very good.

I liked Fist of Fury, and Enter the Dragon was okay. But The Big Boss and Way of the Dragon are just fucking bad, man. Cool final fights -- especially Lee vs. Chuck Norris in Way of the Dragon -- but the other 90-95 minutes of these things are on a much lower level.

I have to think Lee is still considered the king of martial arts movies just because he was the genre's first big star. To me, Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Donnie Yen have all surpassed him, if not in skill then at least in the quality of their work.

big ander

I've only seen The Big Boss and I really liked it. way more violent and cruel than I expected. Thought it spoke broadly but interestingly to Hong Kong's uneasy political status

Blade Runner - I'd never seen it before, and it was greatly hyped for me. I liked it, but don't think I loved it. Perhaps there was just too much hype surrounding it.

Not to say, "You must watch Blade Runner again!" but I think for most people Blade Runner is a movie that grows on you through repeat viewings. Most people I know were a bit cool on it during the first watch.

Don't watch Blade Runner for the plot cuz its kinda boring

Get the Blu-Ray, find a nice HDTV/sound system, sit in a dark room, and be transported to another world

Ted 2 - 6/10 - wasn't as funny. Didn't help they gave away the best jokes in the trailer.
Ant-man - 9 and a half out of ten - loved it to bits. Only reason it aint got a ten is cos it ain't quite perfect.
Slow west - 7/10 - it was ok. Kinda short.

I also rewatched 71, which is still one of my favourite films of last year, fantastic so it is, highly recommended.

Not to say, "You must watch Blade Runner again!" but I think for most people Blade Runner is a movie that grows on you through repeat viewings. Most people I know were a bit cool on it during the first watch.

I disagree. Blade Runner is like the anti-2001 in that most of its pleasures, i.e. the visuals, can be gleaned on a first watch, while the shallowness of its other characteristics comes more and more to the fore the more you watch it.

I disagree. Blade Runner is like the anti-2001 in that most of its pleasures, i.e. the visuals, can be gleaned on a first watch, while the shallowness of its other characteristics comes more and more to the fore the more you watch it.

Most people I know expect it to be some action-filled thriller. The movie is much more methodical and requires you to take in the visuals--maybe as someone who is used to doing that it can be gleaned on a first viewing, but that hasn't been my experience or that of most of the people I know. They have to reframe the way they watch the movie.

That said, I've never been someone who can't rewatch Blade Runner. I used to watch it every few months. Instead of finding the film to be shallow, I always seem to find more nuances in in the visuals. I guess I've felt that, in terms of story, Blade Runner supplies a "less is more" mentality and I enjoy looking for those "less" moments.

Certainly people can do better things with their time though lol--I'm not sure Blade Runner really deserves the number of rewatches I've given it, but my enjoyment has always increased on rewatches for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom