• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| July 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

iALX

The Man From Earth (2007)
I was a little skeptical when i heard about this movie. $200k budget and the entire setting is a half a dozen people talking in one room? Boring. Well, turns out it's not. When Oldman starts talking about his life as a 14,000 year old human, my imagination kicked in thanks to the wonderful descriptions, so there was no need for CGI. What surprised me the most was his story - told from the perspective of an immortal, but from all other perspectives plain man that walked the world from the caveman era (might be wrong about the era). No glorifying of events, mystification, idealism or other. Now, the big question is - is he a loony, a liar or an immortal being? I recommend this movie to everyone who'd like to watch something different for a change. Not that there's anything wrong with summer blockbusters and company, but, ya know.

Not to say, "You must watch Blade Runner again!" but I think for most people Blade Runner is a movie that grows on you through repeat viewings. Most people I know were a bit cool on it during the first watch.

I plan to

I started watching it at 1 or 2am, but I'm used to staying up that late. I got really tired near the end, though, and had to turn it off with about 30 minutes left, then finish it the next night.

I bought the Blu-ray years ago, but haven't watched it. When it aired on The Movie Network, as The Final Cut, I PVRed it and watched that.

(This sounds stupid and is, but the only Blu-ray players I have are in my gaming room and I need to shower/be perfectly clean to go in there. I usually find it more comfortable to watch movies elsewhere, so I hardly watch BRD. I like eating popcorn.)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I disagree. Blade Runner is like the anti-2001 in that most of its pleasures, i.e. the visuals, can be gleaned on a first watch, while the shallowness of its other characteristics comes more and more to the fore the more you watch it.

objective qualities aside (BR might be the first movie where technological advancements flow with the story in a completely organic way) Blade Runner is really just all about social commentary, I guess characters are scarcely defined on purpose, Scott just isn't interested. Rick and Roy are just tools for him, the city - inhuman, oppressive, paranoid, hopeless - is the only star. Both leads are just beings who find themselves lost among the inhumanity of it all. Whenever I rewatch it (the DC, not the horrendously manipulated ecological Hollywood shit),, it's more and more evident how Scott wanted to tell us how our society is rotten to the core, sci-fi style and putting aside the totally irrilevant main "plot"

The World's End

Steven Prince: We need to be able to differentiate between them, them and us.
Peter Page: Yeah, I think the pronouns are really confusing.
Gary King: I don't even know what a pronoun is.
Oliver Chamberlain: Well, it's a word that can function by itself as a noun which refers to something else in the discourse.
Gary King: I don't get it.
Andrew Knightley: You just used one.
Gary King: Did I?
Andrew Knightley: "It", it's a pronoun.
Gary King: What is?
Andrew Knightley: It!
Gary King: Is it?
Andrew Knightley: Christ!

big ander

^Really need to do a full rewatch of this. and Hot Fuzz, with it's being on netflix IW. Shaun's been great through multiple viewings, I've seen Scott Pilgrim 5 or 6 times. Only seen Hot Fuzz and The World's End once each, plus random sections on television. Watched about 30 minutes of World's End the other weekend and enjoyed it a ton
yeah, Lee movies really aren't that good. fell asleep several times watching them

Not necessarily a bad thing-- to wit, one of my favorite Kiarostami quotes: "I prefer the films that put their audience to sleep in the theater. I think those films are kind enough to allow you a nice nap and not leave you disturbed when you leave the theater. Some films have made me doze off in the theater, but the same films have made me stay up at night, wake up thinking about them in the morning, and keep on thinking about them for weeks."

After watching all of Bruce Lee's movies the past week, I've come to the conclusion that his extreme popularity is a very convenient case of right place, right time. Not that the guy wasn't skilled as shit, but his movies just aren't very good.

I liked Fist of Fury, and Enter the Dragon was okay. But The Big Boss and Way of the Dragon are just fucking bad, man. Cool final fights -- especially Lee vs. Chuck Norris in Way of the Dragon -- but the other 90-95 minutes of these things are on a much lower level.

I have to think Lee is still considered the king of martial arts movies just because he was the genre's first big star. To me, Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Donnie Yen have all surpassed him, if not in skill then at least in the quality of their work.

Bruce Lee was and continues to be huge because he was charismatic as hell and had incredible screen presence. His mannerisms and facial expressions are on another level compared to any of the other martial arts stars. I'm not taking anything away from what Chan, Li, and Yen have done, especially Jackie Chan who really carved out his own lane, and certainly they all have movies that are better than Lee's best, but Bruce had that "icon" aura.

Currygan

^Really need to do a full rewatch of this. and Hot Fuzz, with it's being on netflix IW. Shaun's been great through multiple viewings, I've seen Scott Pilgrim 5 or 6 times. Only seen Hot Fuzz and The World's End once each, plus random sections on television. Watched about 30 minutes of World's End the other weekend and enjoyed it a ton

Not necessarily a bad thing-- to wit, one of my favorite Kiarostami quotes: "I prefer the films that put their audience to sleep in the theater. I think those films are kind enough to allow you a nice nap and not leave you disturbed when you leave the theater. Some films have made me doze off in the theater, but the same films have made me stay up at night, wake up thinking about them in the morning, and keep on thinking about them for weeks."

haha, nice quote, and also very honest about how some unquestionable masterpieces are also a bit hard to digest

about Hot Fuzz; you know I didn't even like it much at first, then gave it a second chance and now it's probably my most rewatched movie, clicking at 50 viewings and more. Its just so endlessly enjoyable

Metropolis! I finally got around to finish watching it. Absolutely loved it. Set design, music and cinematography were incredible, very beautiful film all around. Story was nice and campy, very fun to watch all the way through. Kept a good pace throughout too, I still expect older films to be slow so this came as a surprise. Very enjoyable film.

...kind of ironic after TheDissolve shutters.

The biggest issue that I have with the twist is that it doesn't hold up from the perspective of making any kind of physical sense. It's not that the film doesn't heavily telegraph that Marie has a few screws loose early on, but it presents too much physical evidence that the only way that the twist could actually work is if she was driving both vehicles at once. The worst part is that was something that could have been fixed with the tiniest rewrite to put Alexia in the back of the car that Marie crashes; that way, you could explain the scars and you put Alexia somewhere that not only makes sense, but also helps drive home just how deluded Marie's hero journey is that she can't see Alexia anywhere else but in the back of that truck.

The reality of that chase scene is that it was made up by Marie. The entire movie is her telling her version of events in the insane asylum, with only vague hints in the filmmaking itself to tell you it's not real. A lot of it is well-crafted. The head fellatio scene comes right after Marie and Alex discuss Alex ditching Marie for some guy at some point, because it's a fabrication or fantasy in Marie's mind. The head that the killer drops out of his truck is Alex's. Later, the truck drives up to the house as Alex is masturbating, an activity that usually comes with fantasizing, while she's up in the attic. It's likely that in reality, the sequence of events are not concurrent, and Marie or Mario or whatever went and got the truck after she masturbated thinking about Alex in the shower. The chase scene, from the context of the twist, didn't happen. It was probably entirely a fabrication of Marie's mind to feel like a hero, imagined as she was driving the truck into the woods.

Most of the movie is Marie talking into the tape recorder. The parts that aren't are Alex talking to the psychiatrist(s).

My problem comes with the fact that this twist renders all well-crafted suspense scenes and makes them moot. They're only enjoyable to watch on a surface level, and they'll never be enjoyable to watch once you know the twist. They're pointless. The movie didn't need the twist. Instead of making the movie smarter, it actually ended up making it dumber, because you have to rely on the "it wasn't real" explanation at all to explain away the plot holes. So, in spite of there being an explanation, I defer more to your POV on it.

Also, in terms of martial artists, Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung are better and more enjoyable than Jet Li. Jet Li has Tsui Hark pictures under his belt and that sustains him a lot more than a lot of his later pictures. I've probably enjoyed a lot fewer Jet Li films than the others, though, so it may just be me.

Not a lot of time for movies, but I saw:

Jurassic Park (hadn't seen it in a decade and it still holds up)

Jurassic World (completely overrated. Not bad, but nowhere near what I was led to believe. Basically a big budget SyFy Channel action flick)

Mad Max Fury Road (holy shit! I'm not a car chase fan or big on post-apocalyptic stuff, and although this movie had both of those things in spades, it was amazing. Absolutely a must watch).

Apt101

Fury, it was on sell at BestBuy for like $12 bluray, figured I couldn't pass it up for the digital copy. This movie was disturbing in a few ways. The final scene really struck me.

All those lives left behind in the wreckage of that tank. No burial, no grand hero's send off. Will anyone remember that they died there? Just another burnt wreckage for the terrain. Just a soldier closing the hatch and moving on. Sad.

Ridley327

If you ever wanted a Japanese take on Le Samouraï that was filtered through an aesthetic that calls to mind a lot of lone gunman westerns, you would do well to seek out A Colt is My Passport. While it can't be claimed that it has the most original story out there, it does execute it quite well with a potent mix of restraint and thick mood, on top of being very briskly paced. Director Takashi Nomura isn't shy about his influences, but he's also smart enough to make sure he's not lifting wholesale and establishes his own visual identity, with strong photography and framing that finds some rather neat ways to mimic some of the tools professional assassins would use throughout the film, accentuating the feeling that danger is never too far away. The ever trusty Jo Shishido leads as the killer portion of the hitmen duo on the run, and it's a rather strong performance where he does a great job of carrying on with an icy demeanor while remaining a captivating presence for the camera, selling the hell out of Kamimura's unerring professionalism and quick-witted improvisation. The score is also a real treat, mixing in the jazzy downbeat dirges with a lot of spaghetti western accents, and it works wonders as the movie starts taking on more and more of a real western appeal, particularly in the last 15 minutes that stands as being one of the most riveting showdowns that I can recall. A Colt is My Passport serves as a potent reminder that it's sometimes much more important how your story is told than anything else, as this film breathes new life into a reliable "killers on the run" archetype with style and grace to spare.

Nuke Soda

Zardoz! what a crazy movie indeed. I often wondered what's trying to be, then gave up because Connery and his costume are TOO weird for any debate

That is how Zardoz debates should go.

Person A- what did you think it was about?

Person B- Sean Connery's mankini.

Person A- And I'm done.

Person B- Exactly.

Zardoz sounds... interesting?

I watched Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue. It's superb! Extremely well edited with the use of match cuts to seamlessly move in and out of Mima's unconscious and the reality presented, along with the sound design. It draws you into to her troubles extremely effectively, and makes many of the twists and turns extremely impactful. The animation is great, seems to have aged very well but I wish the dvd image quality was a little better, but I can't complain - it still looked great. Loved the soundtrack, captured the tone very well. Really glad I picked this up, I adored Paprika. Must look for Tokyo Godfathers and Millennium Actress next.

Ridley327

Zardoz is what happens when you tell the studio you can do a big metaphysical sci-fi epic on a million dollar budget, and it's obvious you can't, but you try for it any way. It is the only film that I know of that Sean Connery did where his erection is a point of serious discussion.

Akahige

Rurouni Kenshin (2012) - A over long film with some fun but very over done fight choreography (If you thought that dude from Arrow did unnecessary flips wait till you see Kenshin), bad acting, a lead with the charisma of a piece of wood. I did like the music, though I found it to be unoriginal.

Maybe I'd like it better if I had seen the anime or knew much about it in general since the story arc of all the characters is generally very poor and underdeveloped.

Currygan

That is how Zardoz debates should go.

Person A- what did you think it was about?

Person B- Sean Connery's mankini.

Person A- And I'm done.

Person B- Exactly.

AND the "penis is evil" quote

Boorman went completely haywire directing it

Should I even bother PVRing Horrible Bosses 2? I found the first one to be okay, but nothing to write home about, and am only interested in it as something potentially humorous to watch for a couple of hours.

Toothless

Finally got around to watching Jaws in one sitting. Yeah, it's better that way. Quint's monologue, the opening attacks, anything with Hooper; all great parts of the film that add up to a classic. Williams' score and Spielberg's direction both started out strong with this one, and I find it particularly impressive how the film keeps on re-inventing itself but always is enjoyable to watch. A real masterpiece.

Also, the Blu-Ray transfer is absolutely gorgeous.

obin_gam

Zardoz (1974)- Anybody tell me what I just watched? Seriously weird movie.

Zardoz! what a crazy movie indeed. I often wondered what's trying to be, then gave up because Connery and his costume are TOO weird for any debate

Zardoz is what happens when you tell the studio you can do a big metaphysical sci-fi epic on a million dollar budget, and it's obvious you can't, but you try for it any way. It is the only film that I know of that Sean Connery did where his erection is a point of serious discussion.

The cool thing is that it's not actually a bad movie per say. It weird, sure, but I at least can't honestly say I didn't like it :p

Currygan

I think it's time to post a gif

zardoz16.gif

anyway, got the Duel br this morning. Fucking finally. Let's see if it's as good as critics used to say

Apt101

An Honest Liar about James Randi. Pretty good, I think it would be illuminating for someone not aware of his exploits. Veered off in a weirdly personal direction towards the end. Good, not great.

GameLoading: Rise of the Indies. It almost seemed like performance art, like some of those actual people were satire in a comedy skit. Interesting though.

GeekyDad

Watched Gone Girl with my wife. I should premise that by saying, I'm a fan of Affleck and not a fan. I dig certain things he does, certain characters -- he was great in Chasing Amy, Mall Rats, and this movie -- but I don't care for it when he shoots for certain characters that really aren't in his range.

Anyway, wow, that was one crazy fucking movie. I came in toward the end of it once, the scene where he was sitting in a diner with his sister, lawyer and the female detective, and both my wife and I said, hey, this looks pretty cool. So, we stopped watching it, so we didn't spoil any more of it, and waited 'til we had time to watch it in full. It was great but crazy. I wasn't expecting some of the gory scenes that came up later in the flick -- to be honest, it was really jolting and off-putting -- but I can't complain either, as the writing, acting, everything was just superb.

Ridley327

The cool thing is that it's not actually a bad movie per say. It weird, sure, but I at least can't honestly say I didn't like it :p

I definitely remember liking it, too, and I'm way overdue for a rewatch. There are weird 70s sci-fi films, and then there's this weird 70s sci-fi film.

So finally got enough money (salary) to upgrade to buying Blu rays... Purchased and watched the Godfather trilogy (my all time favorite) and a whole shit ton of Disney animated movies because I couldn't watch them during my childhood (elder brothers were the ones renting the movies on VHS).

(in no particular order)
The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Aladdin (can you believe I never got to see the original movie but have beaten the genesis game a thousand times uptil now), Aristocats, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping beauty, Mulan, Dumbo, Frozen and Wall-E.

And lastly on the suggestion of my friend, "Enchanted".
61x4B5yOt5L.jpg

My friend was adamant that I should watch this movie in the last as it had too many hidden references to older Disney movies that I was sure to miss and I did exactly that, I went through all the other movies in a week and finally got around to watching "Enchanted" yesterday.

Now for a long time I've had this odd (and definitely wrong) assumption that acting performance of women in films is serviceable at best and mostly the are included just for eye candy. Most of the times they are given secondary roles and kind of feel out of place. It doesn't help that most of my favorite movies (Godfather, Jurassic Park, Shawshank Redemption, Matrix, LoTR) are CG or don't have an emphasis on the female cast.

Boy was I not ready to be proven so much wrong. This movie is all about the leading lady. It does have the charm and follow the themes of Older Disney classics (optimism, love conquers all) but where it really shines is the performance of Amy Adams and James Marsden (prince Edwards). She took the free flowing, energetic and (for lack of a better word) spunky demeanor of classic Disney princesses and transferred it faultlessly to live action.

There was never a time when I felt that the naiveness and optimism that she portrayed was forced in any way. From the dreamy accent she used to the weird hand thing she did all the time it all came together to define her character in way to which I had never been exposed before. Coupled that with the amazing costume design, that character became such a complete package.

lntUYcY.jpg

Usually i'm not the one to get teary eyed at kids movies (I did cry when Mufasa died) but the facial expressions from Giselle during the scene when Robert asks her to leave (in Central Park) made me feel quite sad.

The other actors' performance also require a mention. James Marsden did an excellent job portraying a Disney prince. He managed to perform a difficult rule, being clueless in humorous way. Whenever he was on screen you were sure to have a laugh sooner or later. Queen Narissa (Susan Srandon) portrayed an awesome villain and props goes to the makeup artist and costume designer for making her feel menacingly sexy to the audience (traits that are common to most of Disney female villains), Patrick Dempsey... well he had very little to work with what with him being a divorced single parent. Still he didn't feel out of place.

The musical numbers is the second best thing in this movie after the superb acting. I have not watched as many Disney movies as to completely know what songs they have made spoof of but from what I've heard or seen the songs in this movie are among the best that I have heard from Disney. The first song (true love's kiss) is a nice little song that is made even better by the awesome animation in the movie. It's subsequent instrumental versions (hears several times throughout the movie) make up an awesome atmosphere.

1BAO6cq.jpg

The second song (Happy Working Song) is my favorite among all. Why? because of its nonsensical lyrics and catchy tune. Plus I have a little bit of interest in special effects and CG so I thought it was awesome that they had used live pigeons and rats during filming. At first I couldn't tell whether the rotation of Giselle's dress was CG or not and came as a mild surprise to know that they had made a rig for her to stand in while the dress rotated by wires. Again the performance of Amy Adams is exceptional and she demonstrates a lot of energy during the whole number.

1GtYRGB.jpg

The last song (How do you know), is an accurate representation of what a fully choreographed animated sequence would look like in real life. I was smiling throughout the whole song at Patrick Demsey's expressions as he had to constantly run to catch up with Giselle, forcefully pull her away from things and awkwardly get out the way of dancers. It also has one of my favorite lines from the movie (he knows the song too? I've never heard of this song).

2mg5WLH.jpg

The little jokes were well executed (Yeah well welcome to New York), the Disney references were not too intrusive to the main action (Grumpy scene) and even the physical humor (Edward breaking into a song and getting run over by bicyclists) managed to get a laugh out of me. It was a movie that took itself seriously in just the right amount.

Ending was lame.

One thing that bugged me after watching the movie was how I had never heard of this movie among my friends or on the forums. I went to GAF and found we didn't have an OT for that movie (maybe there weren't many movie OT's back then). It's a seriously underrated movie that deserves more recognition. It's a movie that can be appreciated by nearly anyone regardless of age or gender. I for one am recommending it to nearly everyone from now on.

Sorry if the post is too long or the formatting is an eyesore.

Gotti (1996)

This was like a tv movie with Sopranos talent. Frank vincent , chianese , pastore , tony sirico , even Johnny Sack appears on the background. About the rise and fall of Gotti. It's 116 minutes , so its somewhat impossible not to make a disjointed narrative , with lots of jumps , a barrage of events showing his climb in the Gambino family and some small storylines / friendships to accentuate some kind of characterization. It's sort of a nice broad representation of the mafia , its structure (the opening credits are pretty nice) , what made gotti somewhat different. At the same time its the mob story you've seen over and over. Very decent for a tv movie. Kinda ugly though. Every shoot seems to be a middle one with 2 guys on screen saying something.

Change a bunch of stuff and you have a nice pilot for a show about the mafia. And a lot of ground to develop.

Brokeback Mountain - I bought it when it was first released on DVD, after seeing it in theatres, but hadn't opened it. Finally got around to that, and watched it for the second time.

I liked it better the first time, but it's still a really solid/good movie.

Currygan

currently watching The 13th Warrior and woah , it's a total mess. Thankfully there's Christopher Lee's Dracula on Two, gotta tune in for some classic shit and abandon this complete trainwreck

Akahige

The Hunter (2011) - A story of Willem Dafoe falling in love with a family not a survivalist story of Dafoe hunting for a Tasmanian Tiger. Dafoe needs to pic better movies, very poor script, you'll read reviews calling the film subtle but it's far from it.
The showdown scene of Dafoe vs. the hunter who came to replace and kill him was ridiculous and lacked any sort of tension, it was laughable as was the ending of the mute boy running up to Dafoe to give him a hug while Dafoe looks down with a expression of a bee stinging his ballsack.

Mystery Train - This is why I watch movies. I love everything about it. The desolate Memphis setting, the foreign characters, the great cinematography, the offbeat humor ("Hey man, my name is Dave."), everything.

Stranger Than Paradise, Down By Law, Mystery Train. I put that string of three movies up with any I've seen. 80's Jarmusch is masterful.

Toothless

Took awhile for me to get in a Jim Carrey mood, but after the first 30 minutes, I found myself really enjoying Liar Liar. Carrey is a true talent in physical comedy; I was laughing a lot at some really dumb stuff he does. The final outtake and the metajoke are the two best parts of the film too.

Divius

Kenneth Branagh's 2015 Cinderella was an absolute joy to watch. It's a total blast, right up until the final act where it just seems to rush through the motions to bring it to an end. Before that though, lovely. I wonder if this was originally longer but was forced to be shortened. 6/10
Jurassic World was mostly bad. Felt like a rehash
afterbirth?
of the earlier movies with too much CGI and not enough heart. 5/10
After the Rain is a beautiful Kurosawa-tribute but it does lack that magic Kurosawa touch. Still a good movie. 7/10

7VEJBVV.jpg

Lucky Luciano - Francesco Rosi

American-Italian production about the life of Luciano after he got deported. Gian Maria Volontè (very well know for his few dollars more role) is a pretty decent Luciano. This is not so much about the gangster/action aspect of his life (altough its present) but how italy was unable to stop him , how crystallized were the politics and structures that allowed for him to keep doing whatever he wanted and maintain his power. Anyone who doesnt really know him , genovese , pagano , costello , lansky might be lost because at time the film does flashback and scenes related with those characters without almost zero context.

Currygan

7VEJBVV.jpg

Lucky Luciano - Francesco Rosi

American-Italian production about the life of Luciano after he got deported. Gian Maria Volontè (very well know for his few dollars more role) is a pretty decent Luciano. This is not so much about the gangster/action aspect of his life (altough its present) but how italy was unable to stop him , how crystallized were the politics and structures that allowed for him to keep doing whatever he wanted and maintain his power. Anyone who doesnt really know him , genovese , pagano , costello , lansky might be lost because at time the film does flashback and scenes related with those characters without almost zero context.

I wans't aware of this. I love Gian Maria Volonte, terrific actor, so I'm gonna have to get my hands on this!

did you ever see boardwalk empire? that's the only on screen luciano i'm familiar with but he was great in that.

I have. Actually i've watched this movie because i've ended Boardwalk recently and wanted to see some more about it :) Sadly , the show time-skip ends up missing the period of Luciano rise.

I also saw Mobsters recently (with slater , p.dempsey , gambon and quinn ) , which is about their rise (luciano , meyer , etc) and its excruciating bad. And pretty bad looking (even more after watching the show)

I wans't aware of this. I love Gian Maria Volonte, terrific actor, so I'm gonna have to get my hands on this!

I bought this for 1€. Lost in a bin of dvds. I didnt knew it either.

Jarnet87

Just watched Kingsman and Hot Tub Time Machine 2

Kingsman was a fun film, a spy movie on steroids. Firth, Egerton, Strong, and Jackson were all good. I like what Vaughn has done, shame he isn't doing more X-Men.

Hot Tub Time Machine 2. Nowhere near as funny as the first one, but had some moments.

Terminator Genysis. Terminator 3 and 4 were bad, but this one actually made me less of a Terminator fan in general. What a sad cash-in.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya - cannot fault it at all. Simply perfect, did not want it to end at all, especially as I knew the ending would slay me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom